Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, Blanka said:

I don’t mind talk I’m referring to what some see in him.

I actually dig JJ the dude I like his disposition. Outside of the intangibles I just don’t see it, at all. That’s where it feels like I’m watching a totally different player. There’s just a disconnect for me.

I had that too. Then I watched him more. I kept watching. And then I saw it. They didn’t ask him to do anything. So I went back and watched him again.

He protects the ball (but holy crap that one throw in the playoffs was outrageously awful). He buys time. He creates. He can run. He can climb the pocket. He can play from the gun. He can play from under center.

I am by no means saying he’s a better choice than the top three. I’m just not convinced he isn’t. 

Daniels is a superstar. If he can avoid injury.

Maye is a superstar. If he can clean the mechanics. 

Williams is a superstar. If he gets some really tall cleats and doesn’t take too many sacks.

McCarthy is… well, who knows :ols:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Let me rephrase - they don’t have a QB with the potential to be a franchise QB. Or even a tenable average starting QB.

No.  You were right the first time. They don't have a QB.

I think a lot of the rumors are complete horse hockey being pushed by agenda driven agents or teams to stir the pot. My bet is they stay and pick a QB.

Here's the one "unless" scenario: they like one of the consensus second tier QBs as much as they like the QB available at #3 overall, and they find a partner to trade back and still get their guy a little later.  For example, let's just say they believe there are 2 blue-chip QBs in this draft: Williams and Maye.  And they are gone.  

And they have a VERY similar grade on McCarthy and Daniels.  

In that scenario, they could trade back and pick up McCarthy, most likely. 

(NOTE: I don't want to get into the argument here about Maye vs. Daniels.  The same holds true if we take Maye and they've evaluated Daniels as equal to McCarthy. Nobody knows exactly how their evaluation is going to go.)

I don't buy the vet QB rumors, but we'll know that in a few weeks.  If you have the #3 overall pick and have the ability to get a top-end QB prospect on a rookie deal for 5 years, you'd be absolutely insane not to do it.

Just like we'd be insane not to do it at 2.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Im sick of mediocre prospects. No more Ramseys or Campbells or Haskinss(rip).

Two true blue chippers in front of us. Take a home run swing 

I don't think there's much of a chance we won't take a swing at a QB at #2. 

I also don't think we're going to trade up to #1 to grab Williams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Russell Wilson or Ryan Tannehill would be considerably cheaper than normal. Say we really like Maye but think he needs to sit a season or 2 so he can exclusively work on his mechanics and learning a pro style offense instead of putting him out there and him losing confidence.

Are you ok with signing Wilson or Tannehill to a 2 year contract and having Maye sit (again the Broncos owe RW guaranteed money so he won't cost a ton)? 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Imagine supporting a family as a slide coach is fantastic and increasingly essential, especially with the growing trend of quarterbacks relying on backyard football skills, agility and running. 

Disappointed that Jayden Daniels lacks a baseball history for sliding and exploring unique arm angles. I appreciate the concept of having an elite dual-threat player who can both navigate the field effectively (being taller) and maintain a smooth delivery. Typically, elite dual-threat athletes are smaller and struggle with inconsistent throwing motions, hindering their ability to establish early rhythm in an offense with their arms.

Did not know he did not play B.B. but predicted it on here. Baseball helps your side vision while looking forward among other things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Russell Wilson or Ryan Tannehill would be considerably cheaper than normal. Say we really like Maye but think he needs to sit a season or 2 so he can exclusively work on his mechanics and learning a pro style offense instead of putting him out there and him losing confidence.

Are you ok with signing Wilson or Tannehill to a 2 year contract and having Maye sit (again the Broncos owe RW guaranteed money so he won't cost a ton)? 

In that scenario, why wouldn't you just start Sam? He played for Longo for 3 years and really knows the Air Raid offense.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

In that scenario, why wouldn't you just start Sam? He played for Longo for 3 years and really knows the Air Raid offense.

Because Kingsbury said, rather adamantly, he is not running the Air Raid offense here?

Edited by ThatNFLChick

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I proposed this exact same hypothetical over the weekend. I suggest ducking and running for cover. 

• Haha 1

Good article on Kingsbury's offense for those thinking about the right fit at QB:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/fiction-and-non-fiction-on-kliff-kingsbury-offense

Blurb: 

"Kingsbury is associated with what some consider a wide-open, gimmicky style of attack known as the Air Raid offense. There are many myths about the offensive style, but what he ran in the NFL was different than the old Air Raid.

It's really not that gimmicky and the way Kingsbury modified it for the NFL, it sometimes looks like any other modern spread style of attack in many ways.

Kingsbury had actually modified it while coaching Texas Tech when his QB was Patrick Mahomes so that it was more pro-oriented."

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I proposed this exact same hypothetical over the weekend. I suggest ducking and running for cover. 

Lol! Sorry I think I missed some of the talk this weekend. I mean who the best vet QB would be would definitely depend on what kind of offense we run. 

My assumption is the offense we run is going to be some RPO with some air raid concepts mixed in and maybe some WCO? I don't know. Thomas is the RPO guy, Kliff is Air Raid and Lynn? Not sure tbh. 

I really hope they shift to being under center because it really helped young QBs last season (Love got wayyyyyy better when they put him under center as opposed to spread/shotgun)

8 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Just keep Jacoby and let Maye or Daniels be the back up. There is zero reason to get a Russ or Tannehill. 

Jacoby is a FA so there's no guarantee he will come back here but yeah thats also an option. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Just keep Jacoby and let Maye or Daniels be the back up. There is zero reason to get a Russ or Tannehill. 

Yes, the idea of a vet would be to help mentor the rookie. Do we have any reason to think Tannehill or Wilson would be good at that? I would bet Russ isn't. Maybe Tannehill is. But we know Brissett is. So stick with him. 

Or let Sam start. See if he can build some trade value, while Brissett backs him up and the rook works on his mechanics. 

41 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Im sick of mediocre prospects. No more Ramseys or Campbells or Haskinss(rip).

Two true blue chippers in front of us. Take a home run swing 

Amen! I remember being livid we drafted Haskins. The elite QB crop was the following year. Ugh PTSD.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Were not drafting a guy at 2 and sitting him. Theres no Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers or Joe Flacco here.

You get better by playing and both Daniels and Maye are goos enough to start day 1.

If they need mechanical work (ad both if them do, frankly) then those things don't "get better by playing" they get better by coaching and practicing, which would be limited if they have to prepare to start each game. 

When you invest in a QB who can lead your team for a decade and a half (or more), the important thing is to do everything possible to help them develop for long-term success. It's kind of mind-boggling how quickly that can get brushed aside. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

And I honestly feel bad for Howell because if we didn’t have a top 5 pick this year, might be worth trying to give another year behind a reinforced Oline. I could see him landing somewhere and being a top 15 QB. Probably see something similar with Justin Fields. Don’t think either will ever be a franchise guy but could make a solid career like a Baker. 

42 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

In that scenario I’d just start Howell for a season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If they need mechanical work (ad both if them do, frankly) then those things don't "get better by playing" they get better by coaching and practicing, which would be limited if they have to prepare to start each game. 

When you invest in a QB who can lead your team for a decade and a half (or more), the important thing is to do everything possible to help them develop for long-term success. It's kind of mind-boggling how quickly that can get brushed aside. 

Allen needed more work than anyone Ive ever seen. He played. Lance sat and still sucked.

You get better by playing. And neither are big time projects that need years to fix their issues.

You can’t blow years off a rookie contract window by sitting the kid

32 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

No, cannot not see signing another castoff QB, we have had 8 new starters for 8 years in a row, they come here and end their careers. Maybe end that run. New offense for who ever is the pick of the top 3 and whoever is still here. I mean all they have to beat out is Howell or Brissett or...right? Why waist a year of the rookie contract look at Stroud.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

That assumes their evaluation is that they believe there are 3 potential franchise QBs

This right here. Maybe they dont think Daniels is worth the risk and take MHJ at 3. But not having a decent QB on the roster makes that unlikely imo. Also people keep overlooking the cost of signing a veteran QB when you are in position to take a QB on a 5 year rookie contract number. A vet worth anything at all is going to cost you at least 40 mill per year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Just going off of the old trade value chart, our two second rounders combined are worth about the number 15 overall. Anybody you could see dropping that far that would be worth two second round picks?

I was kicking this around a little bit for Bowers. Some mocks have him falling into the 12-14 pick area. Just due to the lack of value in the position. I would trade both our 2nds for him in a heartbeat. Especially since we have 3 more picks in the top 102.

37 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I actually wouldnt hate this approach. And if whichever guy you take at 2 ends up beating Jacoby out in camp so be it.