Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

I agree. I obviously have my preference but none of these QBs are sure bets. They all jave flaws and question marks and I think the interviews, combine, pro days, etc will matter more than ever. Hell, someone might really impress at the Senior Bowl and shoot up the boards 

I really don’t have a preference.  I trust that our leadership will make the right decisions.

But the way some tell it, Williams and Maye are first ballot hall of famers.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Listened to the John Keim podcast this morning. I thought it was very good. Randy Mueller was on and he does not like Drake Maye. Does not think he's Justin Herbers. Compares him more to Mac Jones. Now, before Howell fans (like myself) get excited, he was excited about Daniels, so I could still see a guy like Peters drafting a QB at 2. But he did say Howell got a I think he said raw deal and it was incomplete grade. But he was saying that he would draft a QB if he was there because you don't know what you have in Howell. But I'm starting to wonder, well continuing to wonder if this draft has a bunch of QBs who are good but not great and so guys are not sold on them. I was fearful that it would wind up like the 2011 draft when we drafted Kerrigan instead of getting one of Locker / Gabbert / Mallet / Ponder. We could have gotten Kaep or Dalton as late firsts or early seconds but didn't. 

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

It's the biggest no brainer draft that I can remember.  We lucked into the second pick in a two blue chip QB draft, and need to build around a QB with a new regime.  The total clarity of path for how to start our rebuild is the biggest reason we were able to swing the most talented prospective GM candidate in the league this off-season.  Folks are kidding themselves if they don't think that's the case.

This is our decision flow chart:

Is Caleb Williams available at 2?

If yes, draft him.

If no, draft Drake Maye.

That's it.  After we make this pick, we will have such a massive head start on our build that we will have a team building purpose that DC fans haven't really known before.

Now add the trade down dreams some have are still in play because we have another 5 picks, instead of just 2, between slot 36 and 102 (is it 102 or 104?) and it makes even less sense.

This draft is pretty easy, at least superficially to address.

We have needs everywhere, almost zero positional cohorts are "fine" other than maybe DT. The second pick is for QB.We have extra 2nds and 3rds, and early picks in each round, making for a pile of picks in that sweet spot inside the top 100-105 of the draft, so we can hammer any positional need that's deep enough to have answers as we see fit AND we can move up or down or out (for 25 picks) as we go to best address this litany of needs knowing we have years to build because tis a multiyear project, there's no idiotic demand we finish 9-8 next year. Our GM can plot out a long term 2 to 3 year strategy to address all of this. 

It's complicated, in terms of how many options there are, but simple in terms of approaching it. You can choose your own adventure as you wish after round 1. A lot of different roads to choose from, but with so many picks, so early in each round, we will have the flexibility to go whatever direction we wish. 

It seems pretty simple to me. The only way its complicated is the fun way-how to play with so many toys (picks), and to best maximize those assets for the teams long term interests. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Listened to the John Keim podcast this morning. I thought it was very good. Randy Mueller was on and he does not like Drake Maye. Does not think he's Justin Herbers. Compares him more to Mac Jones. Now, before Howell fans (like myself) get excited, he was excited about Daniels, so I could still see a guy like Peters drafting a QB at 2. 

Yeah, I listened to it as well.  I was taking him seriously until I heard him say Maye hasn't ever made any plays that "wowed" him and after he compared Daniels to CJ Stroud.

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Also everyone is making fun of the JJ McCarthy talk but Benjamin Albright has repeatedly said that teams are much higher on him than people think

There are many not making fun of the JJ talk. It's an option if that is how the regime wanted to move....trade back slightly collecting more draft capital and taking JJ to team with Howell or a vet...or both

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Mel Kiper's 1st mock draft is out (in his conversation with Field Yates he had Maye above Daniels while Field had Daniels above Maye. Now it seems like Mel has changed his tune)

I like Mel, but right now it just seems like he's spit balling with talent, and what he hears (sometimes). The Atlanta for Fields rumor is out there, really OUT THERE, but his idea that Atlanta would flip an 8th pick for a guy who hasn't hit, 3 years after they passed on him, is just lunacy. Atlanta is not trading their #8 for Fields. Its ridiculous. Guy has a 1+1 left on his contract and still at best an incomplete as a thrower. We also saw the league polll from theathletic on is valuation amongst GM's, and it's basically a 2nd or a 3rd, and sometimes a conditional day 3 pick. It's not hard to track that info down, and use logic, but Mel kind of lost his mind on that podcast. Weird. 

Anyway, I could see Daniels being the pick, but I think its probably 85-15 or 80-20 Maye. 

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Also everyone is making fun of the JJ McCarthy talk but Benjamin Albright has repeatedly said that teams are much higher on him than people think

"Everyone"

I have McCarthy in a similar space as I have Daniels and Nix.

8 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I wonder what the deeper analytics #'s are on the guy. The one reason I think he may go higher than expected or maybe its two reasons are #1 he was one of the top recruited QB's in his class, so he has pedigree, he isn't just a guy who was lucky enough to be on that loaded team, and #2 he has the tool kit, physical tools, necessary. It may be a case, like McLaurin half a decade ago, where the players talents were surplus to requirements, so they basically went around largely unnoticed while in place at the position. The one problem I have with that take, though, is that you just don't see that happen very much at all: an elite QB hidden his entire career, just looking solid, never special. When does that happen exactly? Maybe Josh Allen, who flashed the tools but not the #'s? Not sure. 

I remain convinced he'll go somewhere between mid late first and mid 2nd. We'll see. I'm curious. Hopefully we can find out some of his deep #'s soon. 

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I wonder what the deeper analytics #'s are on the guy. The one reason I think he may go higher than expected or maybe its two reasons are #1 he was one of the top recruited QB's in his class, so he has pedigree, he isn't just a guy who was lucky enough to be on that loaded team, and #2 he has the tool kit, physical tools, necessary. It may be a case, like McLaurin half a decade ago, where the players talents were surplus to requirements, so they basically went around largely unnoticed while in place at the position. The one problem I have with that take, though, is that you just don't see that happen very much at all: an elite QB hidden his entire career, just looking solid, never special. When does that happen exactly? Maybe Josh Allen, who flashed the tools but not the #'s? Not sure. 

I remain convinced he'll go somewhere between mid late first and mid 2nd. We'll see. I'm curious. Hopefully we can find out some of his deep #'s soon. 

Here:

20240119_100802.jpg

• Like 3

Total conjecture from the twitter-verse...but, if MIA were to shop Tua his +4500yds, 29TD, and almost 70% completion rate this past year would make him worth considering. 

Wouldn't be worth pick 1.2 to me, but we've got a lot of draft capital to throw around...maybe J. Allen + a 2nd or something like that.

22 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

There’s time yet for Jayden Daniels to get to #1

lol

2 seconds after he records his 40 at the combine. The Anthony Richardson special.

Anyways, I'm stoked whether we go in a bunch of diff directions. I still like all of the big 3.

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Colt McCoy broke down Drake Maye earlier. He's doing (or did) Jayden Daniels today. I don't know if the full thing is posted yet but they are dropping snippets on Twitter

Your respect, appreciation and Love for Daniels is apparent.  You'd better hope for a MacDonald hire as HC here, IF you are even a Washington Commander fan.  Are you and will you even answer THIS question?  Daniels best chance at being drafted here, IMO is if MacDonald is hired as HC since he has been around Lamar Jackson in Baltimore and I think there are some that compare Daniels to Jackson.  MacDonald makes it happen more so I think than any other coaching hire.  

Edited by RWJ

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Your respect, appreciation and Love for Daniels is apparent.  You'd better hope for a MacDonald hire as HC here, IF you are even a Washington Commander fan.  Are you and will you even answer THIS question?  Daniels best chance at being drafted here, IMO is if MacDonald is hired as HC since he has been around Lamar Jackson in Baltimore and I think there are some that compare Daniels to Jackson.  MacDonald makes it happen more so I think than any other coaching hire.  

Why would I be posting here if I wasn't a fan lol? You think I just like hanging out on the message boards of terrible teams lol? I was born in DC and grew up a fan of all Washington teams (Caps, Bullets/Wizards, Redskins, later the Nats)

I don't think we really know what any HC would do or who they would like. I never thought Bill B would want a player like Cam Newton in New England. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jayden is special, out of the top 3 qbs, he is the one who actually showed improvement this season . You don't have the type of year he had, playing in the sec, unless you are special

Edited by mac8887

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Why would I be posting here if I wasn't a fan lol? You think I just like hanging out on the message boards of terrible teams lol? I was born in DC and grew up a fan of all Washington teams (Caps, Bullets/Wizards, Redskins, later the Nats)

I don't think we really know what any HC would do or who they would like. I never thought Bill B would want a player like Cam Newton in New England. 

We're cool!  It's all good.  Just checking.  There are a lot of trollers and I thought you might be one.  My bad.  I apologize.  :)  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

Total conjecture from the twitter-verse...but, if MIA were to shop Tua his +4500yds, 29TD, and almost 70% completion rate this past year would make him worth considering. 

Wouldn't be worth pick 1.2 to me, but we've got a lot of draft capital to throw around...maybe J. Allen + a 2nd or something like that.

Pass. Tua is just a guy to me. A pretty good guy, but the same cream puff rep that the rest of the Dolphins have. A 2nd overall pick lets us shoot for someone better. Let one of the borderline teams being held back by a sucky QB overbid on him instead.

I think it's impossible for the Dolphins to move on from him anyway. They made it to the playoffs, and they don't appear to be on the verge of falling off a cliff, so there's no other QB for them to go to that guarantees a greater upside than he has.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Pass for me. Tua is just a guy to me. A pretty good guy, but the same cream puff rep that the rest of the Dolphins have. A 2nd overall pick lets us shoot for someone better. Let one of the borderline teams being held back by a sucky QB overbid on him instead.

Same. I didn't like Tua coming out of college. Tua, Mac Jones and Bryce Young are all similar players to me in that I think everything around them has to be perfect in order for them to succeed. None of them have any special or elite traits so things have to be perfect around them in order for them to succeed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

There’s time yet for Jayden Daniels to get to #1

I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if he went #1 overall to Chicago. I hope that he is there at #2 but wouldn’t surprise me.

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Here:

20240119_100802.jpg

Nice, thanks!

1 hour ago, formerly4skins said:

Nah. I wanted him in 2020. Not anymore, he's had two horrible years, two good years, and next to no big game moments, and a lot of that (the past two seasons) has been with an absolute litany of weapons. To add to all that, he needs a new contract which will break the bank. No rookie deal anymore which is the most valuable asset in the league, rookie deal for a legit hit franchise QB. Straight pass. FTR, I would've considered it if we finished like 7-10 or 8-9 and were picking early mid/mid round 1, but I still wouldn't have wanted to do it because the best evidence is you'd be paying top dollar for an average to slightly above average QB with a bad track record in big games. So Kirk Cousins Part II except probably a lesser talent too. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Pass. Tua is just a guy to me. 

That's where I'm at too. Much better off drafting someone in the first. Tua has limitations and I will always question when his hip injury is coming back to haunt him....plus he has that scary concussion history.

24 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Mccarthy probably had a first rd promise or he would not have come out.

Interesting point, but I tend to think the NBA does this more than the NFL, I think the NFL just gives recommendation of likely slotting, but it wouldn't surprise me if McCarthy found out he was in the 16-40 zone. 

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

Jayden is special, out of the top 3 qbs, he is the one who actually showed improvement this season . You don't have the type of year he had, playing in the sec, unless you are special

But is it college special, or pro special. That's the rub. Plenty of guys blow up in college in the SEC, and still are nothing NFLers. It's a huge leap, even from the SEC, to the NFL. 

1 hour ago, formerly4skins said:

The gravy train seems to be ending for these mediocre QBs.

Kudos to Mike McDaniel for his bold approach, having the confidence to generate 30 TDs and 4500 yards without shelling out exorbitant money for this tier of QB. High salaries paid to QBs is one the biggest NFL heists of the last 15 years.

This is an offensive head coach (Mike McDaniel) potentially providing elite level returns if he can generate similar offensive production with a rookie or modestly paid veteran. Why wouldn’t you get Ryan Tannenhill for $10-12mil. The weakest move is for an offensive coach to spend ridiculous money on a mediocre QB to secure average returns. 

Fascinated to see how hat happens with Jordan Love as well.