Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Brian Robinson is 6' 1" and 230. Has EB considered lining up Robinson 5 yards behind an under centre Sam Howell and handing it off to him? Possibly with say Thomas lined up as a full back to provide a lead block? Lets not overthink this.

I realize this is somewhat old school ...

Not being a mind reader I don’t know if he has considered it.  

But maybe he should.  

So here I wanted to do the drive by drive analysis of the offense. 

Drive 1: RPPRPPSPRRPPRR (6 Runs, 7 Passes 1 Scramble) - Terry x2, Samuel, Dotson x2, Robinson, 

Drive 2: RRPPPPPR (3 Runs, 5 Passes) - Terry x2, Brown, Thomas, Dotson

Drive 3: RPP (1 Run, 2 Passes) - Samuel (sack)

Drive 4: PRPPPRPPPRP (3 Runs, 8 Passes) - Dotson x3, Thomas, Terry, Brown, Robinson, (sack)

Drive 5: RPRPP (2 Runs, 3 Passes) - Terry x2, Dotson

Drive 6: PRRPPP (2 Runs, 4 Passes) - Thomas, Bates, Brown, (sack)

Drive 7: PPPSPSPPPRR (2 Runs, 7 Passes, 2 Scrambles) - Terry, Samuel x4, Gibson, Dotson

Drive 8: RPSRPS (2 Runs, 2 Passes, 2 Scrambles) - Pringle, (sack), 

Drive 9: PPPPPPPPPP (10 Passes) - Samuel x2, (sack), Pringle, Brown, Terry x2, Dotson

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Jason Garrett and Jay Gruden have forgotten more about football than you’ll ever aspire to know.

Just cuz dudes aren’t great head coaches doesn’t mean they don’t know football.  

Only VoR can make me defend Jason Garrett. 🤣

It is true they’ve forgotten more than I’ve ever known.

That doesn’t mean they actually remember anything though.  

:P 

I give Garrett credit though.  At least he’s not begging for appearances on podcasts in the local market where he failed so spectacularly.  Though, I’m pretty sure if Garrett tried to be a guest in Dallas whatever show he was on would be canceled.  As it should be with Jay here.  

26 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It is true they’ve forgotten more than I’ve ever known.

That doesn’t mean they actually remember anything though.  

:P 

I give Garrett credit though.  At least he’s not begging for appearances on podcasts in the local market where he failed so spectacularly.  Though, I’m pretty sure if Garrett tried to be a guest in Dallas whatever show he was on would be canceled.  As it should be with Jay here.  

Eh, I feel like Jay is feeling the fallout of his brother.  He’s much more entertaining than Garrett.  

If Jay’s tenure was failing spectacularly, what is Ron doing?

Jay actually had to live through a very meddlesome Dan and Bruce and all sorts of outrageous drama.  Ron got the tamed version of Dan and a bunch of power.

Jay was 35-49-1.

Ron is 26-31-1.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Eh, I feel like Jay is feeling the fallout of his brother.  He’s much more entertaining than Garrett.  

Agree entertaining.  Interesting or intelligent? Ehhhhhh.  He’s feeding Sheehan what he wants to hear.  

Only one of the two allowed a WR to tweek his nipple.  And it wasn’t Garrett.  That right there should relegate you to the discount aisle of division 3 college backup assistant video operators.  

• Like 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Agree entertaining.  Interesting or intelligent? Ehhhhhh.  He’s feeding Sheehan what he wants to hear.  

Only one of the two allowed a WR to tweek his nipple.  And it wasn’t Garrett.  That right there should relegate you to the discount aisle of division 3 college backup assistant video operators.  

Jay is one of the best listens discussing the X’s and O’s and quarterback play of this team.  He makes appearances on more than just Sheehan and is consistent.  It’s clear he has no dog in the fight.  It’s also great when hosts poke him for tidbits from his time here.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not being a mind reader I don’t know if he has considered it.  

But maybe he should.  

More on the British to American translation guide. If someone British says "Have you ever considered ..." take that as a direct order on pain of immediate execution. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

More on the British to American translation guide. If someone British says "Have you ever considered ..." take that as a direct order on pain of immediate execution. 

It’s like that in American, too. Don’t worry.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If Jay’s tenure was failing spectacularly, what is Ron doing?

Jay actually had to live through a very meddlesome Dan and Bruce and all sorts of outrageous drama.  Ron got the tamed version of Dan and a bunch of power.

Jay was 35-49-1.

Ron is 26-31-1.

Not to mention, is the lack of respect evident in the nipple twister incident really that much worse than being unable to convince your own players to get vaccinated while you fight cancer? 

People give Rivera too much credit and Gruden too much guff imo. Jay is a bit of a clown, Ron is a bit of a poser. They both went through hell here, and neither probably deserves the full amount of vitriol they get from their biggest haters. Neither is a good HC and neither would have gotten the opportunity to be a HC here without the Snyder circus.

Edited by Conn
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Jay is one of the best listens discussing the X’s and O’s and quarterback play of this team.  He makes appearances on more than just Sheehan and is consistent.  It’s clear he has no dog in the fight.  It’s also great when hosts poke him for tidbits from his time here.

I wish we didn't have to hear the same stories over and over and over and over again. We know about the Kirk trade stuff and the meddling stuff. Tell me more about how you scouted Matt I. or some of the other low round guys. Talk about some other game strategy like why 2 minute offense is not used more, or what goes into a 2 minute offense. 

47 minutes ago, Conn said:

Not to mention, is the lack of respect evident in the nipple twister incident really that much worse than being unable to convince your own players to get vaccinated while you fight cancer? 

People give Rivera too much credit and Gruden too much guff imo. Jay is a bit of a clown, Ron is a bit of a poser. They both went through hell here, and neither probably deserves the full amount of vitriol they get from their biggest haters. Neither is a good HC and neither would have gotten the opportunity to be a HC here without the Snyder circus.

Lets keep any vaccination conversations to Tailgate. Please avoid responses that drag us down that rabbit hole.

• Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wish we didn't have to hear the same stories over and over and over and over again. We know about the Kirk trade stuff and the meddling stuff. Tell me more about how you scouted Matt I. or some of the other low round guys. Talk about some other game strategy like why 2 minute offense is not used more, or what goes into a 2 minute offense. 

Or stories like the time he decided that Colt McCoy was the sword he wanted to fall on for the final game of his head coaching career. I bet Jay could give good a breakdown on which bars have the hottest college students. The best podcasts have 2 experts who play off each other, I'm sure Urban Meyer would make a great co-host.

Where they split, they could have enlightening contrasting opinions. One coach reviled by his team. The other so cool that he even let them have their own ping pong table in the locker room.

Edited by NickyJ

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Hosts want that stuff.  He’s not going out of his way to tell the Kirk stories.  He talks a lot of X’s and O’s when I’ve caught him, like he’s clearly watched the entire tape and taken notes.  That’s more than can be said for a lot of guests, and hosts for that matter.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So here I wanted to do the drive by drive analysis of the offense. 

Drive 7: PPPSPSPPPRR (2 Runs, 7 Passes, 2 Scrambles) - Terry, Samuel x4, Gibson, Dotson

Drive 8: RPSRPS (2 Runs, 2 Passes, 2 Scrambles) - Pringle, (sack), 

Drive 9: PPPPPPPPPP (10 Passes) - Samuel x2, (sack), Pringle, Brown, Terry x2, Dotson

Drive 10: THBBFT - Bill The Cat

image.png.fceb8097a2888188f3d67fbf21e2170d.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

TH is 12-12-1 career as a starter and has beaten guys by the name of Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Jalen Hurts, just to name a few. I'd much rather see Ridder than TH even though neither really scares me. I do know that TH  getting the ball to Pitts and London is much more likely than Ridder doing so. Like him or hate him he's a bigger threat against us than Ridder is right now. They were just talking about this on Sirius radio about how long will Atlanta stay with Ridder given that their division is so winnable because it is so weak? In a win now league maybe Art Smith goes to the bullpen earlier than people think he will? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Changing the subject a bit, I seriously wish we would trade Brissett if there is interest in him. Getting a pick for him would be nice considering we're likely gonna lose him after the season anyway. Who knows, getting a 3rd or 4th round pick for Brissett might lead into a starting offensive lineman or trade collateral to package with another pick to move up?

Technically, he faced the defenses not the QB...

20 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Why is going for 2 the correct decision? Only about 45% of 2-pt attempts are successful, and we don't exactly have an OLine that can impose it's will on the defense. Hell, if the refs called Terry's catch as in bounds instead of out of bounds, we probably win in OT as well.

Even if Terry gets ruled in it's still probably under 50/50 that we win because you know the Eagles are probably going to move the ball easily against that defense. They did it the entire 2nd half. 

I just think it's clearly the correct decision to go for 2 because we'd have 1 play against a beat defense after we had already driven the entire field to win the game vs having to go another round vs a defense that was better than ours and an offense that is also better than ours. 

Of course if they'd have called one of their dumb hand the ball off and run straight into the line plays I'd have said that was a dumb call too. That's the problem though. It's so easy for that 2pt play to turn into a WTF are they thinking play then everybody is pointing the finger at the dumb coach but maybe they could come up with something better than that. Apparently they didn't have that play though so they decided that it was better to have to drive down the field again against a superior opponent on their field. And not surprisingly at all, it didn't work out possibly because they also have the better kicker. 

21 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Why is going for 2 the correct decision? Only about 45% of 2-pt attempts are successful, and we don't exactly have an OLine that can impose it's will on the defense. Hell, if the refs called Terry's catch as in bounds instead of out of bounds, we probably win in OT as well.

It’s very simple,  we’re the road team and a heavy underdog.  If we were lucky enough to come close to winning, why would we give the much better team MORE time to have a chance to beat us?  Road teams should never kick the extra point to tie the game.  Especially an underdog like this team.  Just draw up your best 2 point play, and win the game.  If you should lose, oh well.  Going to overtime makes no sense in that scenario.  Why would you want to play extra minutes, and risk further injuries?  Especially with another game coming up in just 4 days.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, samy316 said:

It’s very simple,  we’re the road team and a heavy underdog.  If we were lucky enough to come close to winning, why would we give the much better team MORE time to have a chance to beat us?  Road teams should never kick the extra point to tie the game.  Especially an underdog like this team.  Just draw up your best 2 point play, and win the game.  If you should lose, oh well.  Going to overtime makes no sense in that scenario.  Why would you want to play extra minutes, and risk further injuries?  Especially with another game coming up in just 4 days.

Tie the game and it is not bad thing but not going for it in the 4th down in OT was a really bad idea. You know at this point that our D is not going to be able to stop them and they only need a field goal to win. 

Tress punt was bad anyway but at least we didn't need to find that out if we had gone for it on the 4th down. In OT you have do or die. 

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Even if Terry gets ruled in it's still probably under 50/50 that we win because you know the Eagles are probably going to move the ball easily against that defense. They did it the entire 2nd half. 

The team who wins the coin toss wins in OT about 54% of the time, so it's better odds than going for 2...

3 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

The team who wins the coin toss wins in OT about 54% of the time, so it's better odds than going for 2...

But then the team who fails to move the ball and punts in OT probably loses 90% of the time. That is the actual world we live in. 

11 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

If you’re going with the option to go to overtime as a road team (which doesn’t make sense anyways), then you’d BETTER be going for every 4th Down in OT, especially when you’re defense is getting gashed and sliced all game long.  The option to punt on 4th and 1, after Terry’s catch was ruled incomplete, simply makes no damn sense at all.  If you’re going to play more football in OT, go for the TD, and stop ****footing around.  Why would you punt after your first possession in OT, when the opposing team has been kicking your ass on the offensive side of the ball all game long?  Rivera is a laughing stock today, because people around the NFL are in shock and can’t believe his lame ass excuse for going to OT.  Everybody is starting to see how incompetent he is.  Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Harris & Co.  won’t have to tussle and wrangle over whether or not to fire everyone at the end of the season.

Edited by samy316