Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You really think he can't be a top 5 level QB because of his height? Wilson was a legit top 3-5 QB in his prime and Brees is a first ballot HoFer.

Two exceptions. Most QBs are at least 6'2'' minimum.

It does matter. Doesn't mean Howell can't be good. But if he were a bit taller, he could potentially be great.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Two exceptions. Most QBs are at least 6'2'' minimum.

It does matter. Doesn't mean Howell can't be good. But if he were a bit taller, he could potentially be great.

I just provided a lot more than 2 exceptions. Howell is 6 foot 1.25 inches. Average, not short in todays NFL.

Height does not equal being great at the QB position. If it did Daniel Jones would be a superstar.

Edited by Tress Is The Way

8 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

I just provided a lot more than 2 exceptions. Howell is 6 foot 1.25 inches. Average, not short in todays NFL.

Height does not equal being great at the QB position. If it did Daniel Jones would be a superstar.

Tua already has injury concerns and the other guys you listed played like 40-50+ years ago.

I didn't say height equals great. I said the best QBs tend to be a little bit taller. You don't have to be a giant but being shorter puts you at a disadvantage.

Think of it this way: all the great traits Howell has, the other real good QBs also have it, AND they're taller.

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Tua already has injury concerns and the other guys you listed played like 40-50+ years ago.

I didn't say height equals great. I said the best QBs tend to be a little bit taller. You don't have to be a giant but being shorter puts you at a disadvantage.

Think of it this way: all the great traits Howell has, the other real good QBs also have it, AND they're taller.

You do realize Mahomes and Howell are basically the same height right? The reining nfl superbowl winning QB and MVP.

I named 4 players that have played in the last 10 years and 2 that played 40-50+ years ago

I get where you are coming from, but it's not entirely true that if you are taller you are going to be a better QB than someone thats a few inches shorter than you. There are a lot of examples I could come up with that shows just that. 

All I'm saying is height won't make a lick of difference if you can't read the field or make nfl throws

21 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

Why are people acting like 6 foot 1 is short? The average height of an NFL QB is 6ft 2.5 inches... c'mon now it's not like he's Murray short ffs

Tua is barely 6 feet, is anyone calling him short?

Drew brees 6 feet

Russ Wilson 5 foot 11

Patrick Mahomes is 6 foot 2.

Joe Theismann is 6 foot, did anyone call him short when he won the mother freaking superbowl?

Billy Kilmer is 6 foot, again need I continue?

Gtfo of here with this short crap.

Joe was 5' 10" after that Giants game.

• Haha 12
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Benny Friedman of the 1928 Giants , most consider the first "real" QB, was 5' 10".  There is precedent!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

Where are you seeing that for his height? I'm seeing a combine measurement of 6'0 and 5/8ths.

Another big name QB that's really close to Howell is Jalen Hurts, who measured in at exactly 6'1.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Where are you seeing that for his height? I'm seeing a combine measurement of 6'0 and 5/8ths.

Another big name QB that's really close to Howell is Jalen Hurts, who measured in at exactly 6'1.

His height from his UNC page: https://goheels.com/sports/football/roster/sam-howell/22451

At the end of the day, the 4 NFC east QBs are Jalen Hurts (6ft 1), Dak Prescott (6ft 2), Sam Howell (6ft 1), and Daniel Jones (6ft 5). I'm going to go out on a limb here but the worst QB in the division is the tallest.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I will say it feels good to have a real NFL QB with an actual NFL arm that can actually utilize the entire field.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. It feels good after the first two weeks of the nfl season to have your QB leading in passing TDs, total TDs, passing yards in the division while being the youngest and having the smallest cap hit. That's some feel good stuff right there imo.

The true test starts this weekend with the bills, let's hope the kid can ball out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't really want him tucking it and running a lot more.  That is a crutch IMO, and it was the bad pattern he fell into at UNC his final season.  1, 2, run.  I want him staying in the pocket and reading the coverage until he masters the process and just operates on instinct and gestalts.  That is where you get greatness.  QBs who spend their first several seasons running delay their own development as passers.

I don't think Sam is ever going to be great at reading and feeling pressure though.  That was one of his most concerning weaknesses as a prospect, and it's not really any different today.  Double edged sword.  On the one hand, Sam plays with no fear.  He's going to keep his eyes down field, and he's going to make big plays.  On the other hand, he's going to be oblivious to pressure and take big hits and a lot of sacks in the pocket.  He's going to take some damage, and his turnovers will more likely be fumbles than interceptions.  But the big vertical plays he makes will be worth the sacks if he can keep healthy and available.  Eventually we will account for him being harder to protect by getting better/bigger athletes at OT.  But I'm actually not expecting a ton of improvement in Sam's internal clock this year because I don't think it's part of his personality as a player.  There is only so much bandwidth for processing info that all but the very greatest QBs possess, and he spends his on reading the coverage.  I'm ok with that.

I don't  disagree, I don't want him running a ton either or using it as a crutch.  Just looking for him to find that optimum balance on best decision making which is in there somewhere. I do think his processing time will improve with NFL reps. I understand his tendencies and history but I gotta think it will get better the more he sees NFL coverages and deals with NFL Dlines. 

• Like 1

I broke down and listened to the Sheehan podcast, at least part of it, just to see if it was worth adding back to the rotation.  The answer was a resounding "nope." 

On Howell, he just CAN'T get off the point that he didn't believe in him over the summer and repeatedly said he thought Brissett should start.  ** I'm picking up that narrative from others, I didn't listen to confirm.  BUT in the podcast I did listen to, he started with "Yes he was great.  BUT that doesn't mean anything.  We don't know what he's going to develop into based on beating Arizona and Denver." 

Which, while somewhat true, just came off as "I can't say I was wrong for wanting Brissett to start.  So, I'll say Howell was good but we still don't know." At least that' show it played to me.

Then he gave him an A- grade, and said he was the best QB we've had in ages.  I was predicting "Since Kirk."  But he didn't actually say it.  And then heaped more complements on him.  

The juxtoposition of the "Yeah he played really well, he's going to develop" contrasted with the "I can't say I might have been wrong so I'm just going to say we don't know yet" was odd at best and off putting at worst.  

Contrast that to Bram, who said on his radio show yesterday, "I was entirely wrong about everything I predicted about the game, except for one thing."  (The one thing is the Broncos would wear down at the end of the game.)  He stepped up and said everything he predicted was wrong.  I appreciate that.

Sheehan has turned into a thin skinned, gambling obsessed, somewhat bland podcast host who teeters between "captain obvious," "contrarian take" (which he picked up from gambling), and carnival barker/shock jock.  From time to time (at least before I stopped listening to his drek) he would have moments of brilliance, but they were too few and far between for me.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

40 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I will say it feels good to have a real NFL QB with an actual NFL arm that can actually utilize the entire field.

That was a veiled shot at Hallock.  YOU LEAVE HALLOCK ALONE!!!!

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

If only Anthony Mix could throw a football...

Also, if only Anthony Mix could catch a football or run a route

But my guy was certainly tall.  

6 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Some men are longer than others...

I was waiting for it to happen.... and then it did.  

So last week some of you fools spent 2 pages arguing about what a no-knowing, washed-up, attention grabbing, dummy of a coach was saying on a podcast, and this week we've spent 2 pages on whether Howell is too short to play QB?  At least we finally got the sophomoric joke out of it this week....

Same gif as last week, since basically the same situation....

Good-god-man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

PS: Maybe if Howell ate steak as a kid our hormone fed beef might have gotten him an extra inch or two. (Yeah, read that however you want to.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tress Is The Way said:

You really don't have to provide exceptions.  There really is no ideal height for a QB though most great ones have been between 6-0 and 6-4 but there are too many exceptions to use that range as a standard.

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I broke down and listened to the Sheehan podcast, at least part of it, just to see if it was worth adding back to the rotation.  The answer was a resounding "nope." 

On Howell, he just CAN'T get off the point that he didn't believe in him over the summer and repeatedly said he thought Brissett should start.  ** I'm picking up that narrative from others, I didn't listen to confirm.  BUT in the podcast I did listen to, he started with "Yes he was great.  BUT that doesn't mean anything.  We don't know what he's going to develop into based on beating Arizona and Denver." 

Which, while somewhat true, just came off as "I can't say I was wrong for wanting Brissett to start.  So, I'll say Howell was good but we still don't know." At least that' show it played to me.

Then he gave him an A- grade, and said he was the best QB we've had in ages.  I was predicting "Since Kirk."  But he didn't actually say it.  And then heaped more complements on him.  

The juxtoposition of the "Yeah he played really well, he's going to develop" contrasted with the "I can't say I might have been wrong so I'm just going to say we don't know yet" was odd at best and off putting at worst.  

Contrast that to Bram, who said on his radio show yesterday, "I was entirely wrong about everything I predicted about the game, except for one thing."  (The one thing is the Broncos would wear down at the end of the game.)  He stepped up and said everything he predicted was wrong.  I appreciate that.

Sheehan has turned into a thin skinned, gambling obsessed, somewhat bland podcast host who teeters between "captain obvious," "contrarian take" (which he picked up from gambling), and carnival barker/shock jock.  From time to time (at least before I stopped listening to his drek) he would have moments of brilliance, but they were too few and far between for me.

I have given up listening to Sheehan completely now.  He also hangs up on callers who do not agree with him with the exception of the female doctor - Shabaz.

She liked Heinke and of course Sheehan said he was not an NFL starter.  He has been wrong on a lot of players but will never admit he is wrong.  He bashed the ownership as soon as his station was no longer connected to Snyder and became obsessed with obvious issues most fans were already up to speed on.  He seems to be lukewarm on keeping Rivera.  I listen to Al Galdi podcast now instead.

• Like 1