Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My gut says Wentz plays pretty well this weekend, which will create a lot of hot takes.  

Then we’ll play the Cowboys, who will be very grabby at the LOS delaying routes, causing Wentz to hold the ball too long and eat sacks, which will create an entirely different set of hot takes.

And round and round we go…

My gut is similar.  Like I said on another thread it feels like karma/fitting to what I hope to be Dan's last game as the owner for his buddy Jerry Jones to knock the team out in a meaningless game for Dallas.

Also feels fitting in our constant QB hell situation to come out of the season with a maybe answer versus a solid yes or solid no. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also feels fitting in our constant QB hell situation to come out of the season with a maybe answer versus a solid yes or solid no. 

It would be the most Washington thing ever to have the owner's guy lose the next game but play well, have the Lions and Packers both win, and then play Howell in a meaningless game against backups and also look good opening the door for a "who should be the starter in 2023" debate all offseason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

It would be the most Washington thing ever to have the owner's guy lose the next game but play well, have the Lions and Packers both win, and then play Howell in a meaningless game against backups and also look good opening the door for a "who should be the starter in 2023" debate all offseason.

We're  having that anyway

1 hour ago, celticsalmon said:

Scott Tuner and Ron Rivera know full well Heinicke's strengths and weaknesses.  But they never placed him in a position to succeed.  Forcing him to stay in the pocket given his size and with a turnstile OL was a strip sack waiting to happen.  Rivera told us earlier this season that he's THE ONE who wanted to trade for Wentz even at expense of addressing the offensive line. Now he has his man.  He will soon find out that he cannot win with a QB not named Cam Newton.

SELL the TEAM!

Ok Sabah

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I’ve seen enough of Wentz. He was horrid early in the season and the team looked uninspired at best. He is who is at some point and I was okay taking a flier on him. 

So if he plays decent for two games we’re gonna pay him again? That’s silly to me.

He ain’t the guy. Let’s try again.

I absolutely hated the move. Not necessarily because I felt like Wentz would not be a (slight) upgrade but because I think the Colts fleeced us. They would have cut him, and I don't think any other team was willing to give up assets to eat his contract (even if it is just for a year).

Wentz is a below average QB who can have a good to even great game here and there when everything falls into place but you will not get consistent production from this man. He is who he is and while his upside has always been enticing, his downside is as bad as anyone's downside in this league. He is not better than Darnold, Mayfield and all the other first round (semi-)busts who hang around with QB-needy teams.

We need to stop kidding ourselves and buy into these players for anything more than being bridge QBs. I could see Wentz having two good games to end the season but if that leads this front office to ride another season with Wentz as QB1 and no real succession plan I am going to lose it. He is who he is and that ain't good enough. Either bring him back for cheap $ with a clear succession plan or don't bother. We can't be spending 30m on a QB like that.

• Like 2

One positive of the Wentz contract is that it gives them more time to make a decision on the QB.  Last year they had to make a move prior to the draft because they only had Heinicke.  This time around they’ll have Wentz under contract and they can cut him whenever if they land a better option via trade, FA, or draft.  The only downside is that his salary holds down a chunk of cap space while they figure out their roster.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Wentz is 5-2 in his career when he's thrown the ball 22 times or less in a game.  

Well, so is Heinicke this season probably. If you can afford to only throw it 22 or less it usually means you play good defense and have a somewhat functioning running game that week. So that is more likely a case of reverse-causality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

One positive of the Wentz contract is that it gives them more time to make a decision on the QB.  Last year they had to make a move prior to the draft because they only had Heinicke.  This time around they’ll have Wentz under contract and they can cut him whenever if they land a better option via trade, FA, or draft.  The only downside is that his salary holds down a chunk of cap space while they figure out their roster.

Who are you drafting if we are drafting at 21 or lower? Second round then? Drafting a QB probably is not an option in 23. This is why going with Wentz and Howell is the better option right now. I prefer continuity and stability over other possibly more expensive options. We still need to make our OL better too. 

20 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I’ve seen enough of Wentz. He was horrid early in the season and the team looked uninspired at best. He is who is at some point and I was okay taking a flier on him. 

So if he plays decent for two games we’re gonna pay him again? That’s silly to me.

Well, to be fair, the defense was HORRID when wentz was in (the return of Kam Curl, and the “loss” of WJ3 helped change it) and Robinson was out for 4 of wentz’s 6 starts. 

also, if he plays decent for two games, I doubt they’d even entertain keeping him at his current salary. They’d probably just lower his contract, which would help us be able to 1) pay our own players, and 2) get more help in FA

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

One thing is for sure Washington would not have a shot at the playoffs if Wentz had not broke his pinky.  Taylor did his job as the backup and needs to stay if he wants. If Wentz cannot win 3 in a row with the same Oline and 28mil salary this year, he needs to go. No need to make excuses if he fails, stats. If he loses to Clevland the rookie should start the last game and Wentz needs to pack right a way. 

Just now, zCommander said:

Who are you drafting if we are drafting at 21 or lower? Second round then? Drafting a QB probably is not an option in 23. This is why going with Wentz and Howell is the better option right now. I prefer continuity and stability over other possibly more expensive options. We still need to make our OL better too. 

You really don’t know how the draft will shake out.  (Not you in particular, but anyone).  If they like the big 4, one could either fall to 21 or could fall enough to be in play for a reasonable trade up.  But going into the draft thinking you’ll solve the QB problem is not a sound strategy because you don’t know how it will play out.  But if it does work, you can choose to cut Carson because of the structure of his contract.  Now going into next season with Ron and a QB room with no NFL experience does seem unlikely, it is a route they could go.

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Well, to be fair, the defense was HORRID when wentz was in (the return of Kam Curl, and the “loss” of WJ3 helped change it) and Robinson was out for 4 of wentz’s 6 starts. 

also, if he plays decent for two games, I doubt they’d even entertain keeping him at his current salary. They’d probably just lower his contract, which would help us be able to 1) pay our own players, and 2) get more help in FA

Also being fair he was horrible, and the defense stayed on the field longer.

I think its perfectly reasonable to assume Wentz will be better now that he has more time in the offense and should have a better defense and run game.

But is a better than early season Wentz(who was legitimately bad)still result in good QB play? And will it be enough to get us into the playoffs? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

But I don't think we're gonna see the same Wentz that looked really bad during that stretch from Weeks 2-5 or whatever it was. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Yeah. But also that version of the offense wasn’t working as well as this version of the offense. I’m interested in seeing if it works, and if it can actually help us score more points in the red zone. Maybe it doesn’t work out (I’m guessing 95% chance it doesn’t), but I’m interested in seeing if it does, at least for this week 

2 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Going back to the Detroit game they had 2 first downs in seven first half possessions. (Just confirming that the offense made the defense look much worse that game. I do agree with going to Carson.  I actually don’t have any problem with the way Rivera or the QBs have handled the playing time once the season started.)

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Don’t fool yourselves.  If Wentz comes in from the cold and plays two good games to get this team into the playoffs, and a decent playoff appearance, you will change your tune.

I need four consecutive wins to be interested in having him back

Here's  a question for people. If Howell is who we go with if the last game doesn't  matter should Heinicke even be the backup against the Browns?

If something happens to Wentz then the Cowboys game likely won't  matter so why not get an extra quarter or half of evaluation?

6 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Here's  a question for people. If Howell is who we go with if the last game doesn't  matter should Heinicke even be the backup against the Browns?

If something happens to Wentz then the Cowboys game likely won't  matter so why not get an extra quarter or half of evaluation?

I feel they aren't ready to pull that plug until fully eliminated its not a Derek Carr situation imo prob feel Heinicke still gives them a chance.

1 minute ago, MrJL said:
36 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You say that now.

After thanksgiving folks were talking about a Super Bowl run.  This team just plays for Heinicke and the NFC is so weak, it’s possible.  A month later after a harsh dose of reality, we are down and down bad.

All it will take is one win against the Browns and a sniff of hope and everything changes.  If this team can somehow beat Dallas to make the playoffs, we’ll have to stop folks from planning a parade.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You say that now.

After thanksgiving folks were talking about a Super Bowl run.  This team just plays for Heinicke and the NFC is so weak, it’s possible.  A month later after a harsh dose of reality, we are down and down bad.

All it will take is one win against the Browns and a sniff of hope and everything changes.  If this team can somehow beat Dallas to make the playoffs, we’ll have to stop folks from planning a parade.  

Don't count on it.  I would hope that fans are smarter than that, seeing that there is a possibility that the Browns will give up and quit if they're down on Sunday since they're eliminated.  The Cowboys will most likely be resting a lot of their starters in Week 18, once the Eagles clinch the NFCE and the #1 seed.  I would like to think that fans wouldn't get hyped for beating two teams that they should beat, both resting starters, but stranger things have happened.

Once we get beaten to a pulp by Minnesota or San Francisco in the playoffs, and reality sets in about the team's QB situation going forward, any hopium will have worn off and subsided at that point.

Edited by samy316