Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It wouldn’t have mattered. The fan base would have turned on him before his 8th game. Our idiotic local media coverage would have labeled him a bust. Said that this is not the place that develops QBs.  Then they would have turned on whoever the GM and Coach were. Said they went out and again got a QB who was a developmental project and over drafted, or reached, for him.   There would have been no leniency or time given.  It would have been a negativity show from the second game forward.  

And it would have soured Allen on our team and fan base. 

We’ve turned into a massively negative fan base, with a local media that is ready to pounce and criticize everything.  Because honestly, at this point, a lot of people want to hear the piling on.  

you seem to have a beef with the fan base for it.  20 plus years of losing can wear down ANY fan base.  

I've seen that argument made years ago in the FO thread when Bruce had some rabid defenders and Dan had a few straggler supporters -- they made the case that the problelm isn't them its the fans.  And us fans are just weaker and less loyal than other clubs.   IMO that's nonsense. 

Nope, you give me any random team, give them the biggest douche owner in sports, give them one of of the biggest losing team in sports, and as for QB bring bust after bust situation -- and will see how resilient that fan base is and just shrugs off more failure and embraces patience.

As far as the media goes, Philly, NY, Boston media goes nuts after a 3 game losing streak let alone shrugging off 20 plus years of mediocre to sucking and scandals.    DC's media can be tough but there are markets that are tougher.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Thanks Carson. Your playing great. No offensive line means it does not matter if you have Rice, Miss and TO as receivers.  You can’t throw from your back. 

Watching TA.last night. Hurts has all day to read defence. I line is so important. If you give qb time any decent receiver can get open. 

online is very disappointing so far this season. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

you seem to have a beef with the fan base for it.  20 plus years of losing can wear down ANY fan base. 

I've seen that argument made years ago in the FO thread when Bruce had some rabid defenders and Dan had a few stragglers -- they made the case that the problelm isn't them its the fans.  As us fans are just weaker than other clubs.  IMO that's nonsense. 

Nope, you give me any random team, give them the biggest douche owner in sports, give them one of of the biggest losing team in sports, and as for QB bring bust after bust situation -- and will see how resilient that fan base is and just shrugs off more failure. 

Agreed. No disrespect to Buffalo, but what else exactly is there to do in Buffalo. Their great fans, but situation plays a part. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Thanks Carson. Your playing great. No offensive line means it does not matter if you have Rice, Miss and TO as receivers.  You can’t throw from your back. 

Watching TA.last night. Hurts has all day to read defence. I line is so important. If you give qb time any decent receiver can get open. 

online is very disappointing so far this season. 

Agreed. No disrespect to Buffalo, but what else exactly is there to do in Buffalo. Their great fans, but situation plays a part. 

Sebastian, reads like you've been up all night. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Even Buffalo had a down faze where they started playing in Toronto for some games and there was even some talk of moving there.

Agree though having just a one sport town with little anything else to do helps a club. 

2 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Sebastian, reads like you've been up all night. lol

Almost. Just up and at ‘em early. 😁

I had some time to cruise site yesterday and actually watch TA, and somewhat evaluate the first two weeks. 

This year = same 💩 different year. 

• Like 2

I am loving that we have been pass happy the first 2 weeks. Wentz is even now on fantasy radars. I suspect BRob out has a hand in passing more and well getting blown out. But when receivers are the strength of the team Turner would be a damned fool to not get the ball into their hands. While I am sure Ron will say he prefers an even split of run to pass - i don't unless Gibby/BRob is unstoppable or our beat up OL can't pass pro. I want Turner to come out firing the ball and try to make Commando Carson Cing for the day and really stick it to those ****ing annoying eagles fans that will infiltrate Raljon Sunday.

It's not just a 5050 even split that is needed its keeping the defense on their heels. I think scripting plays can backfire (on days when a defense mad dog blitzes to start the game) I want 4 straight passes to 4 different guys to start the game. Lets live dangerously and do 5.  And then later in the game with a comfy lead you can run to milk the clock and attain that 5050 split. I hate the old school run up the gut to start every damn drive.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am loving that we have been pass happy the first 2 weeks. Wentz is even now on fantasy radars. I suspect BRob out has a hand in passing more and well getting blown out. But when receivers are the strength of the team Turner would be a damned fool to not get the ball into their hands. While I am sure Ron will say he prefers an even split of run to pass - i don't unless Gibby/BRob is unstoppable or our beat up OL can't pass pro. I want Turner to come out firing the ball and try to make Commando Carson Cing for the day and really stick it to those ****ing annoying eagles fans that will infiltrate Raljon Sunday.

It's not just a 5050 even split that is needed its keeping the defense on their heels. I think scripting plays can backfire (on days when a defense mad dog blitzes to start the game) I want 4 straight passes to 4 different guys to start the game. Lets live dangerously and do 5.  And then later in the game with a comfy lead you can run to milk the clock and attain that 5050 split. I hate the old school run up the gut to start every damn drive.

I like the pass happy offense as well, at least compared to trying to win games 17-10, but it sure does look ugly when cosmi and leno are being beaten like drums in the pass game (and when they hold up Wentz is holding the ball for 4 seconds before stumbling into defenders for a sack).

Maybe they need to get down by 3 scores faster to start games, need to play against that prevent D the entire game.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1

I love dumping on the Colts just as much as anyone, but for better or worse, this has been the common refrain about Wentz from Philly to Indy.  He's not a bad teammate or guy, but he doesn't take responsibility.  But I'd take 7 touchdowns and 3 interceptions over 1 touchdown and 4 interceptions right now.

"What I love about Matt is that he takes responsibility. He’s the leader. I could not be happier that he’s our quarterback."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/20/frank-reich-i-could-not-be-happier-that-matt-ryan-is-our-quarterback/

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I love dumping on the Colts just as much as anyone, but for better or worse, this has been the common refrain about Wentz from Philly to Indy.  He's not a bad teammate or guy, but he doesn't take responsibility.  But I'd take 7 touchdowns and 3 interceptions over 1 touchdown and 4 interceptions right now.

"What I love about Matt is that he takes responsibility. He’s the leader. I could not be happier that he’s our quarterback."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/20/frank-reich-i-could-not-be-happier-that-matt-ryan-is-our-quarterback/

After the game in the lockerroom when they gave Carson the game ball, the first thing he said was that he was sorry he threw the picks and it was on him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:00 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Aha! No wonder Fournette and Ekeler aren't tearing it up for me in fantasy. Fascinating.

Still hurts though :(

On 9/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is a line from House of the Dragon, where Daemon, talking about his brother, who is the king,

- "It was never my brother's strongest trait." 

- "what?"

- "Being King." 

That's what I feel about Gibson.  It never was his strongest trait.  Being a RB.  

Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

On Sunday Logan thomas tried to take the blame for the interception. Carson came back out and said absolutely not that int was on me I gotta get the ball down. I mean I dont know he can take anymore responsibility than that.

The Commanders picked up 26 yards on two plays, moving the ball to the Detroit 47. But Wentz threw high across the middle for tight end Logan Thomas. The ball was tipped and Will Harris made a tumbling interception.

Thomas said he should have caught the ball, but Wentz didn't want to hear it.

''I got that up in the air and put it at risk,'' he said. ''That's not Logan's fault. That's on me.'

https://www.yahoo.com/now/rivera-wentz-frustrated-awful-start-222727308.html

• Like 9

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Soooo wentz saying “that INT was on me”…….what do you call that, if not taking responsibility…….? Go on…….I’ll wait 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I can't speak for what happened elsewhere but I am not sure how much more responsibility Carson can take - Here is the video  @Koolblue13 was referring to. At the :47 mark he says - back to back passes thrown to the other team  Quote: "That's on me!"  WTF else is the guy supposed to do? And that locker room does not seem luke warm to him. I get that it's after a win but even in a win he took blame for the issues they had. All other comments building up the team. That is leadership, on direct display. 

I will take what my eyes see over what some punk ass players and a drug addict owner have to say. And don't look now but Jacksonville is still beating up the Colts and Matt Ryan scored 0 pts. At some point leaders have to produce. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

I like the pass happy offense as well, at least compared to trying to win games 17-10, but it sure does look ugly when cosmi and leno are being beaten like drums in the pass game (and when they hold up Wentz is holding the ball for 4 seconds before stumbling into defenders for a sack).

Maybe they need to get down by 3 scores faster to start games, need to play against that prevent D the entire game.

Sorry to all to hear me whining about it for ~20 years but we should deploy hurry up far far more than we do.  Especially to start games. Turners got 15 scripted plays - GREAT. Skip the huddle and kill defenses ability to sub in fresh DL to tee off on our OL every single play. Limit defenses ability to adjust presnap (I would swear vs hurry up defenses often call the same D for several consecutive plays - its too risky to change every time as the O rushes to the LOS) and maybe we can cause some confusion and free someone. It gives Carson more time at the LOS if he wants to find something to exploit. I could go on.

If Turner insists on calling 15 straight plays no matter what is happening (OL getting bum rushed and BLOWN up like last week) he has to have roll-outs quick passes max protect etc in that script. And for the love of the game when we call a trick play make sure the guy getting the ball knows (Sims).

Side note: Seeing Turner calling the same trick plays as Detroit was very very odd. Especially since we know Detroit's D saw those in practice.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I can't speak for what happened elsewhere but I am not sure how much more responsibility Carson can take - Here is the video  @Koolblue13 was referring to. At the :47 mark he says - back to back passes thrown to the other team  Quote: "That's on me!"  WTF else is the guy supposed to do? And that locker room does not seem luke warm to him. I get that it's after a win but even in a win he took blame for the issues they had. All other comments building up the team. That is leadership, on direct display. 

I will take what my eyes see over what some punk ass players and a drug addict owner have to say. And don't look now but Jacksonville is still beating up the Colts and Matt Ryan scored 0 pts. At some point leaders have to produce. 

I do like that Carson took the blame for the pics however, its very easy to do that after a win.  The real test is how they respond to him when real adversity hits especially after a loss.  How does Carson handle himself when and if he costs us the game.  How they come out against the Eagles should say something.  

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Just picked up wentz for my fantasy team.

Hopefully I don't jinx him.

He's currently my starter because I benched Joe Burrow, due to his struggles. Carson had around 27 - 28 points each of the first two games. Mainly due to touchdown passes and passing yards. I hope he keeps it up. Would be nice for the D show up,  and we start racking up wins.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I do like that Carson took the blame for the pics however, its very easy to do that after a win.  The real test is how they respond to him when real adversity hits especially after a loss.  How does Carson handle himself when and if he costs us the game.  How they come out against the Eagles should say something.  

I figured someone would say something like this even though I said so in my own comment. Here is from the Lions game. See the bolded. Again, WTF more does this guy need to do?

Not neccessairly directed at you - The response to the below will likely go something like: Oh well let's see what he does after 2 losses, then 5 losses, then then then.......  The goal post will just keep moving until the guy finally has a bad moment and says something wrong, one out of 100+ comments and there will be a chorus of _See!!!!!  He is a jerk!!  Self centered! LOL

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2022/09/inside-the-locker-room-commanders-carson-wentz-says-lions-brought-more-heat-than-they-expected.html

This is after the Lions game - a bad loss: 

“This league’s hard, and I wish I had the magic answer because last week we came out rolling. We came out the first few drives hot, and this week, we’re horrible. We were horrible in the first half and yeah, I’ve got to own that one and find a way to stay on the field and convert some things just to get a little momentum and we couldn’t find it at all.”

• Like 1

I hope the turnovers slow down considerably. Four in two games is too many. However, I'm pretty happy with Wentz thus far. I know the first half at Detroit was awful but he had like 1.5 seconds or less to find someone and get rid of it. I hope the pressure/drama of the Philly game doesn't get to him mentally. He and our great wr's are practically our only chance. I hope John Matsko can get the oline ready and do a much better job than they did last Sunday. Missing Schweizer hurt but that's no excuse for the 6th ranked oline ( according to pff ) to get absolutely obliterated. I still can't believe the magnitude of the ineptitude that I witnessed in that game. Never thought it could be quite as atrocious as that first half was.

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I figured someone would say something like this even though I said so in my own comment. Here is from the Lions game. See the bolded. Again, WTF more does this guy need to do?

Not neccessairly directed at you - The response to the below will likely go something like: Oh well let's see what he does after 2 losses, then 5 losses, then then then.......  The goal post will just keep moving until the guy finally has a bad moment and says something wrong, one out of 100+ comments and there will be a chorus of _See!!!!!  He is a jerk!!  Self centered! LOL

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2022/09/inside-the-locker-room-commanders-carson-wentz-says-lions-brought-more-heat-than-they-expected.html

This is after the Lions game - a bad loss: 

“This league’s hard, and I wish I had the magic answer because last week we came out rolling. We came out the first few drives hot, and this week, we’re horrible. We were horrible in the first half and yeah, I’ve got to own that one and find a way to stay on the field and convert some things just to get a little momentum and we couldn’t find it at all.”

to add to your post 

The Commanders picked up 26 yards on two plays, moving the ball to the Detroit 47. But Wentz threw high across the middle for tight end Logan Thomas. The ball was tipped and Will Harris made a tumbling interception.

Thomas said he should have caught the ball, but Wentz didn't want to hear it.

''I got that up in the air and put it at risk,'' he said. ''That's not Logan's fault. That's on me.'

https://www.yahoo.com/now/rivera-wentz-frustrated-awful-start-222727308.html

That's literally the definition of taking responsibility after a bad loss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1