Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Adam Schefter on Get Up this morning said Trubisky thought he was going to be a serious option for Washington and there was interest but when we signed Wentz, had to go down his options.  Sounded to me like what we always suspected, he was part of a plan C.

Meanwhile, the guys on Get Up are killing Wentz stacked against the other NFCE QB's and ranking him down in the Daniel Jones range or just above.  I totally disagree.  I really hope Wentz lights it up to shut the naysayers up.  LOL

Yeah that makes it three reports that Trubisky's camp was looking hard at Washington.  But its a much more fun narrative for some of the locals that even Trubisky would have rejected them.

I don't disagree with their point that this is sort of the Siberia of the NFL now.  but money talks.  and opportunity talks.  Trubisky would be the lead dance here.  Yeah the Steelers is a better organization but they didn't pay him a heck of a lot.

Keim for example was consistent that the FAs incuding Trubisky was worst case scenario for the team versus a plan they were excited about

Ironically the same PFF guy just did back to back interviews, Sheehan first and then the Junkies and i listened to both.

On Sheehan's show it was about crapping on the Wentz move mostly.    On the Junkies it was mostly praise for the same deal -- he talked about not being left with the bag and all that's left is Darnold (said it as a joke) and suggested it made sense and also said Wentz is a major upgrade over Heinicke who he clearly didn't think much of (Heinicke) when he talked about him for a second.

It shows how leading the witness in an interview can steer the tone in a major way

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Adam Schefter on Get Up this morning said Trubisky thought he was going to be a serious option for Washington and there was interest but when we signed Wentz, had to go down his options.  Sounded to me like what we always suspected, he was part of a plan C.

Meanwhile, the guys on Get Up are killing Wentz stacked against the other NFCE QB's and ranking him down in the Daniel Jones range or just above.  I totally disagree.  I really hope Wentz lights it up to shut the naysayers up.  LOL

"...Meanwhile, the guys on Get Up are killing Wentz stacked against the other NFCE QB's and ranking him down in the Daniel Jones range or just above."

Maybe this isn't such a bad thing.

For years we were the ones basking in the afterglow of all the "good free agency", "good draft", and "champions of the off season" accolades from the talking heads shows yet today what do we have to show for all that wordly praise?

-- crickets chirping --

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, I like his show, but he rarely admits he's ever wrong.  Like, he hated the Haskins pick, then warmed up to him and thought he was a "gamer" at the end of the rookie year.  After Ron benched him, he was apoplectic and said they should have used to the whole year to evaluate him.  Heck, he's probably never admitted that he was wrong about Barkley as well.

This seems to be pretty common with sports opinion people; they refuse to admit when they got something wrong. I'm not sure if it's pride, they think being wrong is bad for business, or they truly still think they were right but some other forces conspired against their guy. But personally I'd listen more to someone who had been wrong, admitted it, and explained what they learned from it than someone who just dug in and refused to change their tune no matter what.

Darnold is a good example. The early "success" last season was complete smoke and mirrors and he went right back to form eventually. But Sheehan has never admitted he was wrong about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan I see is determined to make this off seaon miserable by continually trashing Wentz. :ols:

I've heard him multiple times trash Trubisky.  But since he thinks both QBs suck (he said it a little nicer than that), he's leading the witnesses as in his callers more or less to state why a Trubisky get who stinks who could be had cheap is a better move than Wentz who stinks but was expensive. 

And goes Trubisky is good guy and implies Wentz isn't.  Will see.  But I think the Wentz is a bad guy narrative will be found to be false.

Personally, I won't die on the hill for Wentz but I think the risk was well worth it.  He's a high upside QB.  If they are wrong about this then swing again.  

SIP, curious if he offered up an alternative plan?

3 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

SIP, curious if he offered up an alternative plan?

As far as Sheehan.  Not much.  he wanted to swing hard for Rodgers and Wilson.  He wasn't a big fan of Carr.  He doesn't like Trubisky.  doesn't like Wentz.  doesn't like jimmy g. 

He does like Winston and in the draft Willis. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

This seems to be pretty common with sports opinion people; they refuse to admit when they got something wrong. I'm not sure if it's pride, they think being wrong is bad for business, or they truly still think they were right but some other forces conspired against their guy. But personally I'd listen more to someone who had been wrong, admitted it, and explained what they learned from it than someone who just dug in and refused to change their tune no matter what.

Darnold is a good example. The early "success" last season was complete smoke and mirrors and he went right back to form eventually. But Sheehan has never admitted he was wrong about it.

Yeah the irony is at least for me, I respect the ones that admit they are wrong way more.   All of us, if we take enough stances will end up wrong on something.  It's OK.  My feeling is its cool to take a swing on an opinion, I actually respect people who try to do it and take a postion and run with it.  But when you do swing on takes, own up on the wrong ones versus such tout the times you were right.  😀. I'd let the Darnold one go if he wasn't so relentless about it.  It was over and over again.   For example, I only heard him once or twice say Trask > Mac Jones and he wasn't a big Mac Jones guy -- but he wasn't nonstop about it the way he was on Darnold.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not so sure about that. The trigger is playing 70% of the snaps, it's not based on performance.  He reached the trigger in Indy too and they shipped him out of town.  

That is exactly why I said it that way. I'll try another way, if we are out of the playoff race before he hits that trigger, you bench him no matter if he is playing good or not.

Trubisky was always my basement choice and the basement choice of many. Never liked Watson as he has shown on multiple occasions that he must have tools to be a winner and, while fun to watch, would have left us bereft of the tools we needed to have to build around him. Wilson worried me because a 70 year old coach/personnel guy probably does not want to be part of a rebuild so trading him may mean Carol thinks he is done (there are more positive scenarios, though) and we'd have to hope he was our starter for at least 5 years (if our offer was to be believed). Carr was WAY too expensive (a single 1 and a swap of 2 should be max). JimmyG probably would have cost more than he was worth. All this was before they apparently rejected us (Wilson and Watson were the only ones who publicly said so BEFORE we had the deal for Wentz in place). Once I did my research on Wentz, he was obviously the best scenario for us after Wilson and Watson. Never thought Rodgers because he would have been WAY to resource intensive for a guy who probably only gives you a year or two.

Does Wentz have a more significant probability of fail than Carr? Yes, but if Carr was a fail, that would hurt even more than if Wentz is a fail. In fact, the Wentz move puts us in position to minimize downside risk. Further, if Wentz is a minimum win, he's Kirk Cousins with support. Wentz has also shown that he can carry a mediocre team and his high end is better then anything we've had since Sonny (and Sonny would have had multiple bites at the ring if he had a better team/coach surrounding him in the 60s).

1 hour ago, Doctorfro said:

Here’s the real questions: do we have the O-line to allow Wentz to do work? do we have enough weapons for him to throw to? We just let one slip out the back door. 

The OL was ranked pretty high last year. We did lose Scherff, but overall I'm not too worried about or OL. Wentz though has a tendency to hold onto the ball forever to make the big play and as a result takes a lot of sacks. The Colts pass pro was ranked low last year but that's largely due to Wentz's playstyle. A line with Quentin Nelson and Ryan Kelly among others is NOT a bottom 5 OL.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The OL was ranked pretty high last year. We did lose Scherff, but overall I'm not too worried about or OL. Wentz though has a tendency to hold onto the ball forever to make the big play and as a result takes a lot of sacks. The Colts pass pro was ranked low last year but that's largely due to Wentz's playstyle. A line with Quentin Nelson and Ryan Kelly among others is NOT a bottom 5 OL.

To top end the line, it's why I pick Charles Cross if he is there at #11. You move Cosmi inside where he then has a chance to become an All Pro level guard and give you Scherff like production on the interior. You then also have your swing tackle solution because if one guy goes down, you move Cosmi to tackle.

13 hours ago, method man said:

To top end the line, it's why I pick Charles Cross if he is there at #11. You move Cosmi inside where he then has a chance to become an All Pro level guard and give you Scherff like production on the interior. You then also have your swing tackle solution because if one guy goes down, you move Cosmi to tackle.

Theres absolutely no reason to move Cosmi inside. He has the size and insane athleticism to be an elite Tackle, and had a PFF grade of 74.9 as a rookie, despite still being very raw in pas pro. IMO the only time you move a Tackle inside to Guard in the NFL is if he can't hack it as a Tackle.

Our current LT had a PFF grade of 81.2 last season.

We don't need to spend #11 on a Tackle. We have 2 really good ones. And our OL did just fine without Scherff and still ended up the 6th ranked line despite all the injuries.

We have far bigger needs at the moment.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

My one concern w/this is that it’s not like he wanted to suck or be a choker or whatever. It’s not like he’s suddenly deciding to try now. Football is way too demanding a sport to be so flippant about effort or interest. Maybe he’s just a compiler or maybe he’s good. I can’t see why he wouldn’t have been trying in ‘21 but will now. It’s such an odd take other than to illustrate where things will go if things go wrong in DC too.

Ron needs to sit down and talk to Carson. Ingrain into him that this his last chance to be a starter.  Whatever problems in the past, need to be Put in the past.  He needs to take criticism and criticism isn’t meant to be against him but to make him a better player.

Let him know, there’s a chance we will draft a qb at some point. We need someone to back him up. 

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 1

The Saints have cleared a ton of cap space. Sounds like Watson is inbound, will be real interesting to see what the trade cost ends up being, especially comparable to Wilson and what we’ve discussed on here for what seems like ever.....

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2022 at 2:14 PM, Bifflog said:

He starts at the numbers and catches the ball about a yard or two from the hashes.  Maybe it's a skinny :).

Same article had a couple of go routes for comparison:

Looks like McClaurin beats his man more severely than the Colt's WR but it hosed up by the underthrow.  Press coverage vs. off coverage also, but feels like Wentz throws a TD in that spot.

Agreed, been saying this since the trade.

You meld Heinicke's "everything from the neck up" with Wentz's "everything from the neck down" and you got yourself the makings of a top 5 franchise quarterback.

12 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron needs to sit down and talk to Carson. Ingrain into him that this his last chance to be a starter.  Whatever problems in the past, need to be Put in the past.  He needs to take criticism and criticism isn’t meant to be against him but to make him a better player.

Let him know, there’s a chance we will draft a qb at some point. We need someone to back him up. 

And also make it be known to him, DONT GO TO ANY WATERPARKS A WEEK BEFORE THE SEASON!!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ron just opened the presser with "Happy Thanksgiving"

Who wants him fired now, hmmmm?

Link???

On 3/15/2022 at 8:45 PM, Doctorfro said:

Here’s the real questions: do we have the O-line to allow Wentz to do work? do we have enough weapons for him to throw to? We just let one slip out the back door. 

These are the questions Rivera is in the process of answering right now. Patience grasshopper.

"Great works take time."

Cheops, builder of the great pyramid at Giza. 😊

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

No no no. lol I believed the quote.

I wanted a link to the live feed of the press conference. Wanted to watch it. 😉

Sorry...10 years of marriage has just conditioned me to not being believed at any time...

I am sure it'll be posted on the Twitterverse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1