Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is what I am hoping for.  In one fell swoop I think this would knock the Giants out the of the market for Qb for two years, IMO it will take them 2 seasons to figure out neither guy is the answer.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/02/dont-be-surprised-if-giants-pursue-mitchell-trubisky-in-free-agency-and-what-that-would-mean-for-daniel-jones.html

Don’t be surprised if Giants pursue Mitchell Trubisky in free agency — and what that means for Daniel Jones

Published: Feb. 24, 2022, 7:15 a.m.

So far this offseason, the Giants have come close to moving the entire Bills quarterback room nearly 400 miles east from Buffalo to East Rutherford. They hired Brian Daboll, Buffalo’s offensive coordinator, as head coach. Daboll hired Shea Tierney as quarterbacks coach — he was the assistant QB coach in Buffalo last year.

Daboll tried (and failed) to hire Ken Dorsey, previously the Bills QB coach, as offensive coordinator.

Last year, the Giants signed quarterback Jake Fromm off the Bills practice squad and he wound up starting two games. He’s still around. On Feb. 7, the Giants signed Davis Webb to a future/reserve contract. He spent most of the 2021 season on the Bills practice squad.

No, Josh Allen won’t be joining all of them in East Rutherford. But his top backup could join the fray: Mitchell Trubisky.

The former No. 2 overall pick of the Bears spent last season as the Bills backup after a failed tenure in Chicago and, by all accounts, showed enough that some expect him to get an opportunity to compete for a starting job elsewhere after hitting free agency this offseason.

Could that be with the Giants?

At the very least, the possibility of Trubisky coming to New York and backing up Daniel Jones shouldn’t be ruled out.

First, the Giants learned the last two years that scraping the backup quarterback market in free agency for a minimum salary veteran simply won’t cut it. Colt McCoy went 1-1 in 2020 but didn’t really bring much to the table. Mike Glennon (four touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 49.7 QB rating) was a disaster when Jones went down with a season-ending neck injury. Fromm (38.9 QB rating) might’ve been even worse.

Trubisky likely won’t sign for the minimum. But that shouldn’t stop the Giants from at least exploring a reunion with his old Bills friends. He signed with the Bills for $2.5 million last season, while Glennon only signed for $1.35 million. The Giants have a bad cap situation, but investing in a better quarterback, who is also talented enough to push Jones to some degree, should be a priority.

Then, there’s Trubisky’s relationship with Daboll and general manager Joe Schoen, who also came from the Bills. Daboll was reportedly a driving force behind the decision to sign Trubisky as a backup for Allen last season to begin with, and he helped convince him to sign despite interest from other teams.

I cant see Trubisky going to NY to backup Jones....he's gonna have places where he can start. I guess we'll find out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You picked the wrong one. Don't love or hate Trubisky.😀

If its me going for what I'd hate the most it would be: 

A.  wanting Russell Wilson to become an Eagle

B.  Bringing it back with Heinicke and banking on him taking it up a peg next season.  😀

I was playing around like you.  Getting Wilson/Carr, the big guns would be like you or me hitting the lottery and I don't want Watson. so true.  If we are going to spend big money on a QB it has to be for the big guns otherwise we re-up Terry M. etc. and sign big name FAs of need.  Truth is we will end up with Trubisky/Mariota/Bridgewater and draft a QB at #11.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I cant see Trubisky going to NY to backup Jones....he's gonna have places where he can start. I guess we'll find out. 

I'd say here in Washington. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Logan Paulsen after watching 4-5 games of each

Pickett -- loves that he goes through real NFL progressions, makes him NFL ready, he's his top QB in this group.  Not much arm strength, even Mac Jones has a stronger arm than him.  He thinks Pickett is the best fit here because he does full field reads and plays in an NFL offense -- the safest bet he believes.   Highest floor player of the bunch.   He's the only guy in this mix, he'd take at 11.

Willis:  as a runner he's special, special athlete, watching him he wonders about his current ability to set protections among other things, does magical stuff on the field, needs to sit and learn from coaches

Sam Howell:  Runs like Tim Tebow doesn't think it transfers to the NFL, has accuracy issues, poor man's Baker Mayfield description that he constantly hears doesn't help his reputation, has a hard time projecting him, but somethings he sees that he likes.  He didn't really land hard with an opinion on him. 

Matt Corral: good runner, quick fluid release -- Howell has a more labored release than Corral.  Corrals' quick flick release reminds him of Rodgers.  Throws a good deep ball.  His issue is the heavy RPO offense makes Corral a mystery as for how he would adjust to an NFL style progression offense.   He likes his tools but he's not a freak on that front like Mahomes.   Do you want to risk that type of projection on a first round draft pick (harping on the RPO style offense), he's not sure, leans no.

Ridder:  Nice athleticism, at times looks good. A lot of bubble screens and easy throws inflate his numbers.  He sees him as a more physically talented Heinicke.  He doesn't think he belongs in the first round.  Reminds him of Heinicke in that his accuracy and decision making often just goes south inexplicably at some point during a game.  Too inconsistent.

Yeah I think I mostly agree with him on these. Corral seems to be flying somewhat low right now, but that could just be because of the extra exposure the others had with the Senior Bowl.

Lke you, I'm a Corral guy. I think Paulsen has a fair point about the RPO offense but even with that somewhat simplified offense one of the big things I really like when watching Corral is how he manipulates guys with his eyes. You can see him very often looking off safeties and LBs which is a pretty important thing to be able to do in the NFL.

I also actually like Corral's arm a bit more than Willis. Now, before anyone goes nuts and says "BUT WILLIS HAS A CANNON!",,,yes I know he does, but I'm not talking about pure arm strength. I'm talking about everything together, including arm strength and the release. IMO Corral's arm strength isn't much below Willis but I think he has a faster and smoother release.

Ridder to me is worrying as well. He can be fun to watch but he does have those head scratcher moments, and like you noted, those don't tend to go away in the NFL...in fact they're amplified because the defensive players are better. If it's between Ridder and Strong in the 2nd, I think I'd go with Strong. I like Ridder's athleticism but his decision making and accuracy are just too iffy for me. But that's also conditional on Strong's medicals checking out.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MrJL said:

I do not want Watson.  But I did just have a thought.  If incentives can affect a pick making it higher, could they be used to protect the team by making the Texans give back picks if Watson misses time due to suspension or jail time

That’s what I’ve been saying. Make your offer conditional picks. Say conditional firsts in 2023,2024,2025 as an example. If he misses time over the next 12-18 months, you get the 2023 pick back/ or it drops to a third instead.

All kinds of way to structure a deal but a range of conditional picks based on different scenarios is the route I think all potential trading teams will take.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That’s what I’ve been saying. Make your offer conditional picks. Say conditional firsts in 2023,2024,2025 as an example.

A conditional pick is not worth nearly as much as an unconditional pick

A 3 1st round draft pick package w/ conditions is no where near worth another 3 1st round package without conditions.

the only way you can have a massive trade like that w/ conditions is if the value of the trade when none of the conditions are met, is at least on par w/ the next competing offer, otherwise they will go w/ the second offer.

If your offer w/ conditions missed is on par with the 2nd highest bidder, then you are massively overpaying as you can probably get that player for a lot less than the fully met conditioned offer.

In the case of a QB, you would probably be fine with overpaying if everything works out, but your still overpaying none the less.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

A 3 1st round draft pick package w/ conditions is no where near worth another 3 1st round package without conditions.

the only way you can have a massive trade like that w/ conditions is if the value of the trade when none of the conditions are met, is at least on par w/ the next competing offer, otherwise they will go w/ the second offer.

If your offer w/ conditions missed is on par with the 2nd highest bidder, then you are massively overpaying as you can probably get that player for a lot less than the fully met conditioned offer.

In the case of a QB, you would probably be fine with overpaying if everything works out, but your still overpaying none the less.

Yeah I know it’s an unconventional approach to a trade. Watson is quite a unique case in terms of his situation added to the fact it would be a blockbuster trade to match few others. The acquiring team must surely want an added level of protection against his case outcome.

A scenario of a team giving up multiple picks in the 2022 draft, which the Texans go ahead and use....and then Watson gets pinged and is done for this season at least...that seems a reckless trade to me. Desperation may cloud notion that I suppose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I can imagine being fine with the QB underperforming.  I can't imagine you'd be fine with him never able to suit up and I think that would be the case for most teams.  It is entirely likely all anyone would offer would be conditional picks.

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Trubisky was a backup last year making 2.5 million a year.  Just because he backed up Josh Allen last year and his teammates said he played well with the scout team, I don't think that has in one fell swoop rewritten his whole trajectory.  I think it improved it from he's just a backup to he has a shot to compete for a job.

My point is I really doubt any team is going to guarantee him a job upon signing.  I expect the best he's going to get, and he likely gets it, is he can go to a team with a distinctly below average QB like the Giants or for that matter this team and have a shot to beat "meh" QBs like Heinicke or Jones in camp.  The battles of the "meh" so to speak where Trubisky can show he's not as "meh" as the other guy.

So in short I think the best he gets is to go to teams with QBs with similar kind of reputations and the best man wins.   And I think the Giants are in the category.  Jones isn't terrible but he's bad.  Trubisky arguably isn't terrible either.  But he's been bad too.  I think its a fair shot.  If your point is he has a better shot to beat out Heinicke here than Jones with the Giants, I do agree.   But he has that relationship with Daboll that might even the score.

But yeah if I am Trubisky, I'd want to come here or the Saints, i think that's his best shot at beating the incumbent QB.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trubisky was a backup last year making 2.5 million a year.  Just because he backed up Josh Allen last year and his teammates said he played well with the scout team, I don't think that has in one fell swoop rewritten his whole trajectory.  I think it improved it from he's just a backup to he has a shot to compete for a job.

My point is I really doubt any team is going to guarantee him a job upon signing.  I expect the best he's going to get, and he likely gets it, is he can go to a team with a distinctly below average QB like the Giants or for that matter this team and have a shot to beat "meh" QBs like Heinicke or Jones in camp.  The battles of the "meh" so to speak where Trubisky can show he's not as "meh" as the other guy.

So in short I think the best he gets is to go to teams with QBs with similar kind of reputations and the best man wins.   And I think the Giants are in the category.  Jones isn't terrible but he's bad.  Trubisky arguably isn't terrible either.  But he's been bad too.  I think its a fair shot.  If your point is he has a better shot to beat out Heinicke here than Jones with the Giants, I do agree.   But he has that relationship with Daboll that might even the score.

But yeah if I am Trubisky, I'd want to come here or the Saints, i think that's his best shot at beating the incumbent QB.  

The strength of Dabols relationship/faith with Trubisky will be established by Mitch's decision. I could see him feeling comfort in playing for Dabol and knowing, he could compete with Danny Dimes and would have an inside track based on scheme and term experience. If that relationship isn't real strong then hell yeah he wants to have a new opportunity the start and Washington and NO could be the best chance

When it comes to Mariota, he is the identical boat. He too was a backup for a reason, he was failing in Tennessee and replaced. He turned into a dink and dunk guy throwing to his best friend Delanie Walker. He had trouble with accuracy and timing, especially when attempting to throw downfield.

They are both reclamation projects and might be our best option sadly(if no trades pan out). At least there is hope of improvement with both and they were high draft picks for a reason, they have talent and athleticism.

I still feel Wilson should be the #1 target and Carr should be the #2. I however do not see us being able to get either.

Edited by DWinzit

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I think I mostly agree with him on these. Corral seems to be flying somewhat low right now, but that could just be because of the extra exposure the others had with the Senior Bowl.

Lke you, I'm a Corral guy. I think Paulsen has a fair point about the RPO offense but even with that somewhat simplified offense one of the big things I really like when watching Corral is how he manipulates guys with his eyes. You can see him very often looking off safeties and LBs which is a pretty important thing to be able to do in the NFL.

Yeah you are singing my song about Corral.  I was talking about his eye manipulation since way back early in the college season.  Same as what I said about Mac Jones the previous college season.

I get the whole he can't run in the NFL the way he did in college without getting injured.  But I wonder if he can do it like Kyler Murray where he adopts to doing it safer.  I am really interested to see what he runs this coming week.  Some don't think he's that fast I noticed, someone said he was clocked at 4.8 at one point in his career.  If so that will turn me off a little because I do think his mobility is a key part of his game.  To my eyes he looks more in the mid 4.6's as a runner like a Trubisky.  But will see.

Strong arm. quick release.  Really good pocket prescense -- escapability.   Baller.  I do think his knocks are legit.  But IMO ALL the Qbs in this draft have legit knocks.  So you got to pick your spots so to speak

The rap against him is his size which I do think is fair.  The dude is on the scrawny side.  His shoulders are really narrow for a Qb, looks like he barely works out on that front. speaking of which I wonder if he does show to the combine a bit more muscular.  Should be interesting.

As for whether he can make NFL style progressions/reads, that was Paulsen's hang up.  He's not the only one.  Right now, his college career has been mostly about him reading the Mike LB and making a decision based on that.   Paulsen said the few times where Corral had to run through progressions, he didn't seem hot at it.  So he thinks his rookie year will be an adjustment. 

It's not that he doesn't think he can do it but its that some QBs do ultimately struggle with it in the NFL so he doesn't love having that as a wildcard with Corral, where he can see him adjusting or for that matter not adjusting.  To him leaving that as a mystery is a deal breaker in the first round.   He made a good point that the interviews would be key with Corral where coaches can bring him up to the chalk board and test his mental acuity as to his ability to read defenses and spit back progressions, etc.

I think the other part with Corral is I get the impression that he has a background and personality that you got to probe on.  Emotional dude and that emotion from what I read has given him some rollar coaster events throughout his life.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for whether he can make NFL style progressions/reads, that was Paulsen's hang up.  He's not the only one.  Right now, its basically him reading the Mike LB and making a decision based on that.   Paulsen said the few times where Corral had to run through progressions, he didn't seem hot at it.  So he thinks his rookie year it will be an adjustment. 

It's not that he doesn't think he can do it but its that some QBs do ultimately struggle with it in the NFL so he doesn't love having that as a wildcard with Corral, where he can see him adjusting or for that matter not adjusting.  To him leaving that as a mystery is a deal breaker in the first round.   He made a good point that the interviews would be key with Corral bring him up to the chalk board and test his mental ability as to his ability to read defenses and spit back progressions, etc.

The reads are the scary part with so many of the young guns. Some pick it up pretty well but then you look at guys like Lance and Love...they have shown little improvement since being drafted. Heck, Love almost looked worse. One good thing about drafting a Corral or Willis at 11 would be, it is only one first rounder spent on them. We wouldn't be moving up spending a multitude of assets to acquire them. Plus we would not be expecting a lot right off the bat which allows for them to be eased into play time

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

The strength of Dabols relationship/faith with Trubisky will be established by Mitch's decision. I could see him feeling comfort in playing for Dabol and knowing, he could compete with Danny Dimes and would have an inside track based on scheme and term experience. If that relationship isn't real strong then hell yeah he wants to have a new opportunity the start and Washington and NO could be the best chance

When it comes to Mariota, he is the identical boat. He too was a backup for a reason, he was failing in Tennessee and replaced. He turned into a dink and dunk guy throwing to his best friend Delanie Walker. He had trouble with accuracy and timing, especially when attempting to throw downfield.

They are both reclamation projects and might be our best option sadly(if no trades pan out). At least there is hope of improvement with both and they were high draft picks for a reason, they have talent and athleticism.

They are both reclamation projects.  I don't see them apples to apples though.  I am with PFF on this who see Mariota a clear peg better than Trubisky.   Trubisky with the really bad accuracy issues that followed him consistently, year after year, especially with throws outside the flat.   Mariota is more on the inconsistent side as for accuracy -- not as bad as trubisky IMO.  Heck Bullock, who does a lot of film review actually praised Mariota specifically for his accuracy.  So i dont see it as a liability on par with Trubisky.  Agree though deep ball is an issue but its an issue with them both.   Either at least has the arm to get it deep unlike our current QB. 

Mariota with a career 7.5 YPA.  Trubisky with a 6.7 YPA.  Trubisky shares something in common with Darnold.  Poor accuracy coupled with a poor YPA.  Dink and dunk QBs without hot accuracy is a bad combination.  Trubisky and Darnold on PFF metrics are just about identical twins on so many metrics, on some where Trubisky is actually worse. Main difference is Trubisky can run.   I value that Trubisky can run. 

The first run below of stats is the PFF QB ranking the last year Mariota started a full season, 2018, which happened to be Trubisky's "career" year.  The 2nd category of stats I posted is their ranking on adjusted completion rate that same year. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 8.24.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 8.26.20 AM.png

PFF still on Wilson/Eagles 😧

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-doug-kyed-pre-combine-mailbag-russell-wilson-trade-rumors-franchise-tag-opinions-and-patriots-alternate-uniforms

@JACOBKHARE: IS RUSSELL WILSON TO THE EAGLES A LEGITIMATE POSSIBILITY?

The real answer is that we don’t know yet. ESPN’s Adam Schefter said this week on the Ari Meirov NFL Show that Russell Wilson has not requested a trade from the Seattle Seahawks.

We know that Wilson’s agent provided a list of teams that he would be willing to play for last offseason. Wilson and the Seahawks then had a frustrating 2021 season that was full of losing and injuries. It’s unclear what would have changed for Wilson over the past year.

There’s also the question of whether the Seahawks would be open to a fresh start at the position, as well. One league source I spoke to during the season believed they would be open to that possibility. One thing is for certain, and that’s the fact that neither side would want to be seen as the root cause for a divorce. So, if Wilson is unhappy in Seattle or if the Seahawks would be willing to start anew at quarterback, there could be a game of chicken where neither party would want to state its intentions first. It would really have to be a mutual parting of ways from a public relations standpoint.

The Philadelphia Eagles are interesting because Howie Roseman has heavily implied that he wanted to draft Wilson in the 2012 NFL Draft, but the Seahawks took him before they could. It’s unclear if Wilson would want to be in Philadelphia, but Eagles QB Jalen Hurts would likely be an attractive trade chip for Seattle or another team as a young quarterback who showed improvement in 2021.

The most likely scenario: Wilson is back in Seattle next season. But until he’s wearing college navy, action green and wolf gray Week 1 of the 2022 season, we’ll all still speculate.

• Haha 1

Not that I am pimping for Mariota. But I am pimping that if we are left with FA he's IMO the best option.

If people want to go crazy for a half a preseason game for Trubisky and hey maybe being coached by the Bills improved his game.

How about a dude who actually has showed some legit (no guessing) improvement.   When he actually played in a real life game the season before, he played well in that one.  Some may or may not recall but there was even some chatter back then about maybe Carr gets benched for him.

I am not in love with the dude.  But I find him easily the most intriguing among this bad lot of QB FAs.

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 8.56.28 AM.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Oh SIP, I was just coming round to wanting Corral and now after your size comments I'm back to "hell no"! I think I might have to settle on Strong in the second round

lol, its not like his size was some mystery.  If he was a big dude IMO he'd be going top 5.  his size is why we'd have a shot to draft him.

But again all of these guys have some drawback.  

Pickett:  hand size, arm strength

Ridder:  accuracy, decision making

Strong:  pocket presence, mobility, off plaform throws

Howell:  inconsistency, like Corral heavy RPO offense, running translate to the NFL?

Willis:  accuracy, decision making

Not that every other college QB coming out in drafts are flawless.  But yeah with these guys you got to project.  I like all of them for different reasons.  I don't love any of them.  I like Corral the best.  followed by Willis.  I can be talked into all of them.  But my preference is to get a top veteran.  I'd take Carr for example over any of these guys in a heartbeat.

As for Strong, he was a guy I talked about from game 1 of the college season.    I like him.  But I admit I am disappointed that he had according to most a "meh" senior bowl.  He started hot but then apparently struggled with his accuracy which surpised me.  Combine should be interesting. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I still feel Wilson should be the #1 target and Carr should be the #2. I however do not see us being able to get either.

Wilson and Carr likely won’t be available.

Next year is another story.

I think next year is when the top and next tier qbs will be available.

I prefer the bridge qb and draft a qb and if the drafted qb is really bad; draft again next year. I’d rather draft 10-15 year starter.

Rogders probably 2-3 good years before he declines. Wilson 4-5. Carr 6-7. 

playing to your mid 40’s will be rare.

22 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Keim just kind of reiterated the QB stuff you've already mentioned but he did say, "cause for pause" on JimmyG related to injury history/contract requirements and Washington hasn't shown much interest in Winston.

Just listened to the beginning part, I'll listen to the Nagy part soon.  I'd add

A.  They are interested in Rodgers.  He didn't elaborate as to whether it means aythi

B.  Interested in Russell Wilson.  They will chase him (among other teams) until the Seahawks say no and ask them to stop calling them

C.  Like you said, they have some interest in Jimmy G but there is some pause to it.  They won't break the bank for him whether in trade capital or salary

D.  Mentioned Wentz/Trubisky and a rookie.

E.  In the draft he thinks RB, edge, DT is on the table as for depth

• Like 1

A red flag on Kyler Murray, should he and Cardinals part ways in 23. Kyler is up for an extension but Arizona won’t give it to him this year. It’s a prove it year for both him and his head coach. Kyler doesn’t have the mental toughness or is a leader. When things don’t go right, Kyler tends to shut down. Kyler lost his key reciever and he then didn’t give much effort after that and the Cards went into a swoon. Also, he apparently only gives effort on game day but slacks rest of week.

I think if he doesn’t change his ways; he’s finishing his pro career in baseball.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mentioned Wentz/Trubisky and a rookie.

I don't care about the red flags.  If the Colts essentially pay you to take him off of your hands, you take Wentz over any of the other options (again, assuming Wilson and Rodgers are a no).  Then draft Pickett.  Arm strength is overrated.  Malik Willis scares the hell out of me.  Hearing a lot of "sit and learn", "project", and talks about how he cannot adjust protections at the line is giving me strong Haskins vibes.  And I don't think Willis has the same laziness that Haskins did.  But you don't draft a "project" in year 3 of a 5 year contract.  Matt Corral's size is the only thing that worries me about him.  I would be okay with taking him.  Ridder should not be a first round selection, but since there are several QB needy teams, he might be.  

The biggest red flag that I have with Pickett is that his numbers prior to his last year in college were very similar to Jarret Doege of WVU.  I'm a WVU fan, and Doege is absolutely terrible and would have no business playing in the NFL.  I just worry that Pickett's last years stats could be a mirage.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't care about the red flags.  If the Colts essentially pay you to take him off of your hands, you take Wentz over any of the other options (again, assuming Wilson and Rodgers are a no).  Then draft Pickett.  Arm strength is overrated.  Malik Willis scares the hell out of me.  Hearing a lot of "sit and learn", "project", and talks about how he cannot adjust protections at the line is giving me strong Haskins vibes.  And I don't think Willis has the same laziness that Haskins did.  But you don't draft a "project" in year 3 of a 5 year contract.  Matt Corral's size is the only thing that worries me about him.  I would be okay with taking him.  Ridder should not be a first round selection, but since there are several QB needy teams, he might be.  

The biggest red flag that I have with Pickett is that his numbers prior to his last year in college were very similar to Jarret Doege of WVU.  I'm a WVU fan, and Doege is absolutely terrible and would have no business playing in the NFL.  I just worry that Pickett's last years stats could be a mirage.

I think the sit and learn stuff with Willis is exaggerated. Given his size, strength and durability, you can run an RPO/run heavy system in year 1 as he adjusts to the NFL. Turner just has to be open to it.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not that I am pimping for Mariota. But I am pimping that if we are left with FA he's IMO the best option.

If people want to go crazy for a half a preseason game for Trubisky and hey maybe being coached by the Bills improved his game.

How about a dude who actually has showed some legit (no guessing) improvement.   When he actually played in a real life game the season before, he played well in that one.  Some may or may not recall but there was even some chatter back then about maybe Carr gets benched for him.

I am not in love with the dude.  But I find him easily the most intriguing among this bad lot of QB FAs.

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 8.56.28 AM.png

It’s odd that everyone talks about Trubisky as a high draft pick reclamation project but no one brings up Mariota anymore. Mariota did himself a real disservice signing w LV for 2 years. I think he had been forgotten a bit because of that

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, method man said:

I think the sit and learn stuff with Willis is exaggerated. Given his size, strength and durability, you can run an RPO/run heavy system in year 1 as he adjusts to the NFL. Turner just has to be open to it.

I think the big problem is your starting QB gets 90% of the reps during the season in practice.  You can split reps in pre-season, but once you get to the regular season, your starters practice, and your backups sit in meetings and take mental reps.

Which is fine.

But I am not sure it REALLY helps the development that much.  

I've always been a "put them out there, let them get experience" person. Even if that means you take a big step back.

HOWEVER, I think A LOT of teams do it completely wrong.  They try to "protect" the rookie by playing conservatively, running the ball a ton, and trying to get them to just manage the game.

What the Colts did with Peyton his rookie year was completely throw him to the wolves.  They run their entire offense, and he threw something like 20 picks, and they went 6-10, but did show some improvement at the end of the year.

Year 2, they went 10-6.

The Shanahans crafted an entire offense around Griffin that would allow him to grow, but also had things he could do which would be successful.  BUT all of those things were still in the construct of their base offense.  They used the zone-read run scheme, same WCO Shanahan pass concepts, they just limited the reads as they brought Griffin along.  

I understand the concept of getting a "bridge" QB.  And I think they SHOULD sign one (if they don't get a big-dog). 

But I think the minute you draft a first round QB, the plan should be to get him ready to play the opener. However, you need to make sure he's in a position to protect himself.  If he can't do that, because he doesn't know how to call protections, etc.  then you can't put him out there, so having a veteran backup who can play is important.

And since there is a possibility you might need to go to plan B, you have to sign a guy.  Because TH should never be in a position to play a snap of NFL football every again absent an injury.  (Which is not a change from last year.  The injury just happened in the first half of the first game.)

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1