Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

56 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I would not want to give up 3 first rounders for Wilson either because I think he might be on the downside. Like you said, Rodgers is too old to give up 3 first for. Assuming his issues are cleared up, Watson is the only one I’d give up 3 first for, because of his age and he’s got many prime years left. 

I dont know if I would do it but that what the coat will be if I had to bet the only advantage we have is contract we can give after trade. 

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Not relevant to Carr, but more Rodgers, but Adams wanting to be the highest paid receiver in the league may not work whilst paying Rodgers on a short term deal that likely pays 40mil per year. 

You can work anything out if you want to.  If they were going to get Rodgers, they need to win the SB in 1-3 years.  So you have Rob Rodgers figure out how to do what the Rams have done and push everything out.  

Then, when Rodgers retires (SB win or not), you cut/trade everybody, take the massive cap hit all in 1 year, become the first team to go 0-17, and start over.

I would honestly take 3-4 years of being a SB contender starting next year KNOWING we're staring into the abyss over staring into the complete unknown with no end in sight.  But that's me.  

But you go for it while you can.  If you're getting Rodgers, then you have a defined period of time you can contend, then you are going to suck again and need a new QB. 

I want to caveat this by saying I don't think it's likely.  It's probably a pipe dream.  And I don't expect it to happen.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You can work anything out if you want to.  If they were going to get Rodgers, they need to win the SB in 1-3 years.  So you have Rob Rodgers figure out how to do what the Rams have done and push everything out.  

Then, when Rodgers retires (SB win or not), you cut/trade everybody, take the massive cap hit all in 1 year, become the first team to go 0-17, and start over.

I would honestly take 3-4 years of being a SB contender starting next year KNOWING we're staring into the abyss over staring into the complete unknown with no end in sight.  But that's me.  

But you go for it while you can.  If you're getting Rodgers, then you have a defined period of time you can contend, then you are going to suck again and need a new QB. 

I want to caveat this by saying I don't think it's likely.  It's probably a pipe dream.  And I don't expect it to happen.  

Man, I think you may have just shown your screen name is inaccurate

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

I would not want to give up 3 first rounders for Wilson either because I think he might be on the downside. Like you said, Rodgers is too old to give up 3 first for. Assuming his issues are cleared up, Watson is the only one I’d give up 3 first for, because of his age and he’s got many prime years left. 

I dont know if I would do it but that what the coat will be if I had to bet the only advantage we have is contract we can give after trade. Green Bay will want A first rounder for each year he plays. I think someone will pay it or something like 1 player and 2 first.

45 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

We hear that a lot. Have that ever been proven? I hear we were very close to getting Stafford until LA added another pick. 

IIRC there were reports that to make it as amicable as possible, the Lions were trying to work with Stafford when it came to the trade. He apparently was much more interested in going to the Rams than coming here.

Obviously the choice was up to the Lions at the end of the day, but it sounds like they took that into consideration. Then the Rams ended up giving a better offer and it all worked out, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions still took the Rams offer even if we had matched it...due to Stafford's input.

Honestly, I can't say I blame him. Living in LA, stacked roster, really good defense, great coaches. And it looks like he made the right choice...they're now in the hunt for a Super Bowl.

24 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Man, I think you may have just shown your screen name is inaccurate

If a team gets Rodgers and doesn’t go absolutely balls to the wall all-in for 2-3 years (especially in the NFC) they’re idiots and shouldn’t have acquired him in the first place. You do everything in that window to support him and win, period. If you don’t like that, then you wouldn’t acquire Rodgers obviously.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:
3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree. You can. I think the Packers might just be working out how to do the same with Rodgers and Adams. **** or bust in 2 seasons.

• Like 1

New Kiem podcast. 

1. Doesn't think they would be interested in Willis at pick 11

2. Brought up Ridder again as a second round target.

3. Said they will go after the best QB's that become available but don't leave out someone like Jimmy G if they can't get someone better.

4. If Trubisky could pair with second round QB 

5. Full focus will be on a trade and only if they strike out on all 5 QB'S would they move on to FA paired with rookie.

Edited by actorguy1
  • Like 4

I preface this with the full knowledge that breaking down college talent for the draft definitely isn't my forte.  I'm not really that kind of fan, but I noticed that Daniel Jeremiah has us taking Matt Corral.  As I watch the kid's youtube highlights he seems to take a TON of hits.  I have visions of RG3 and him getting broke up in no time.  No sliding, just pushing through piles of defenders.  He's tough, but if he tries this in the NFL he won't last a game or two.    

My 2 cents

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I wasn't aware the Rams expected to have to tear the team down  and potentially go 0-17 in a few years

When they traded for Stafford the Rams weren't almost $40,000,000 over the cap like Green Bay is right now.

If Green Bay wants to take another shot over the last 2 years of the Rodgers contract then they may have to move money around, restructure, and backload like crazy so they can get under the cap right now. That's especially true if they also want to keep Adams...whether that's via franchise tag or a new contract.

That means in 2 years they're going to have to pay the piper and all that cap they backloaded is going to come calling so they're going to have to make drastic cuts and trades. Basically completely wipe and start over. Depending on how they did it, I wouldn't be surprised if they're almost $100 million over the cap at that point.

So 0-17 might have been a bit of hyperbole, but probably not much.

Edited by mistertim

Just give me Watson. I’m tired of hearing about the culture and how we need to fix it. We’ve had good guys in here the last 2 years, and no one comes to games and our play has been sub par. 

The only way to fix the dwindling fan base and attendance issues is winning   The way to win is to get a qb. If he’s not a great, standup guy well……oh well. Just my opinion!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I wasn't aware the Rams expected to have to tear the team down  and potentially go 0-17 in a few years

Stafford isn't playing for peanuts lol, everyone's gotta pay the price when contract time comes. Teams can always find a way to run the gauntlet of cap space if they put their minds to it and have the credibility to have players buy-in to restructures. We've never seen Washington do it because we haven't had a QB and his playoff window to make it worth doing.

A couple years ago, the Saints were looking at cap hell with Brees and company on the books. These are their lean years, and they're being talked about as the destination for Rodgers and Wilson. That can be us if Rodgers finishes his career here.

Just now, brewbrew2323 said:

Just give me Watson. I’m tired of hearing about the culture and how we need to fix it. We’ve had good guys in here the last 2 years, and no one comes to games and our play has been sub par. 

The only way to fix the dwindling fan base and attendance issues is winning   The way to win is to get a qb. If he’s not a great, standup guy well……oh well. Just my opinion!

It is a problem that no one comes to our games, but I don't think it would help much to get a QB who can't come to games lmao

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, brewbrew2323 said:

Kind of where I stand, although I'm not opposed to just going for it in the draft, for reasons I've previously stated.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think Howell and Corral are both excellent prospects all things considered.

All things considered? What does that mean?

I see them as well as the rest of the class as being bad options for first round options.

New Kiem podcast. 

3. Said they will go after the best QB's that become available but don't leave out someone like Jimmy G if they can't get someone better

5. Full focus will be on a trade and only if they strike out on all 5 QB'S would they move on to FA paired with rookie.

To me this feels like they only view the vet option as the only viable path. I personally hate 2nd round QBs. They dont work. If this all were to play out theres going to be a ton of frustration. Ron to me feels totally out of touch with reality with the position and how it has to be attacked.

Edited by Zim489

10 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

All things considered? What does that mean?

I see them as well as the rest of the class as being bad options for first round options.

New Kiem podcast. 

3. Said they will go after the best QB's that become available but don't leave out someone like Jimmy G if they can't get someone better

To me this feels like they only view the vet option as the only viable path. I personally hate 2nd round QBs. They dont work. If this all were to play out theres going to be a ton of frustration. Ron to me feels totally out of touch with reality with the position and how it has to be attacked.

Go back and read my 8 million posts on the matter. You’ve read them. You know what it means.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrJL said:

no because of what you'd go through to get him

Go through what exactly?  I'm confused.

As an aside, I'm not going through anything, and I don't care about the personal lives of Ron, Martin, Marty or Rob Rodgers. 

It's a pretty simple trade: You get anything you want, we pay Aaron whatever he wants, and Devonte whatever he wants.  Oh, I'd also pay McLaurin whatever he wanted also. And yeah, I know what kind of impending cap hell that would put us in.  Push it off until after Rodgers retires, and I don't give a damn.  

Shrug.  

This is NOT the way I'd really like to go about things, but with THIS organization, if we do that, assuming Rodgers doesn't get significantly inured, we're a conference championship contender for the next 3 years.  We haven't been a contender for anything since the 2000 season.  I'd like to be a contender for a few years.  

We have proven we don't do well finding the guy in the draft, and this draft might not even have "that" guy.  We don't know.  I'd prefer to draft and develop a QB.  But we have been trying to do that for years.  Ramsey, JC, Griffin, Haskins were all first round selections in the last 20 years.  That's one ever 5 years for those keeping track at home, and doesn't even include Cousins.  

So if you can take a swing at the closest thing to a sure thing, do it.  At least it will be exciting for a few years.

(Again, I don't think this is going to happen. I think we're going to end up with Mitch and a second-tier rookie.  And that's going to piss me off.)