Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Herbert for 2 is a fun hypo but practically probably a bad idea.

Herbert's contract is HUGE.  We have cap space now, but the team is fundamentally not in a position to absorb that large of a contract for the next couple years.

Herbert cap hits

2024: 19.3M

2025: 37.3M

2026: 46.3M

2027: 58.3M

2028: 71.1M

2029: 59.5M

Now sure, you can probably re-configure the contract in 2027 to keep those last 3 years from killing you but it's gonna cost you later.

Basically, all our extra cap space now would go to Herbert, and we'd have to make roster sacrifices to fit his cap hit later.  While every team with a franchise QB has to do that dance eventually, we'd be accelerating our timetable for that by 4 years.

If our team was maybe in a better position, maybe.  If you were say, San Fransisco if Purdy sucked, it might be worth it.  But we are too far away.  We need some time to build our core and hopefully do so while the QB is cheap.

1 hour ago, illone said:

McCarthy odds to be drafted by Washington went from +2600 down to +430 

Is it "drafted by Washington" or "drafted second"?  Just curious, because they can be different things.

:229:The Rook

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

The guest (Kedric Gohlston maybe?) said that if Harbaugh really thought JJ McCarthy was such a stud, why didn't he use him like that then.  They relied so much on their defense and the RBs to grind out the games that McCarthy was asked to do very little, but wouldn't Harbaugh want to use those supposed skills and talents (ala Andrew Luck) if he really thought they were there? 

Why did he not run his team in the way that resulted in a National Championship?

200.gif?cid=790b76115up2k97qhe2wyzh129cf

6 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Herbert cap hits

2024: 19.3M

2025: 37.3M

2026: 46.3M

2027: 58.3M

2028: 71.1M

2029: 59.5M

I believe those numbies are off for any acquiring team as the Chargers would eat the G money on his deal when trading him making him more affordable, but as @Est.1974 pointed out that would be a monster blow to LAs cap.

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I believe those numbies are off for any acquiring team as the Chargers would eat the G money on his deal when trading him making him more affordable, but as @Est.1974 pointed out that would be a monster blow to LAs cap.

100m+

Not happening.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Why did he not run his team in the way that resulted in a National Championship?

If you had Patrick Mahomes on your team, would you build the team with an intense focus on running the ball, defense, and having Mahomes just be a game manager? If you have a stud QB, why wouldn't you use him that way?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If you had Patrick Mahomes on your team, would you build the team with an intense focus on running the ball, defense, and having Mahomes just be a game manager? If you have a stud QB, why wouldn't you use him that way?

Exactly the guest’s point.  Just because they won a national championship doesn’t mean that McCarthy was the key piece.  They won it with their incredible defense and excellent run game.  

47 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Is it "drafted by Washington" or "drafted second"?  Just curious, because they can be different things.

:229:The Rook

The odds I posted are team specific, not pick #. 

Happy to post the other odds when I get back to the office. 

:cheers:

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its coming from Harbaugh and his brother is probably helping him out too to throw him a bone. If QBs go 1-4 then Harbaugh can steal Marvin Harrison jr. 

It's also in the Harbaugh family tradition to just be straight up jackasses and **** with people because they can.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

just need to see his tik tok noodle ass haircut do a few more pretentious goalpost meditation sessions and he’s a lock for top 2 

Don't forget his weird-ass "Tibetan Monk Meets 12 Year Old YouTuber" outfit from his pro day.

48311-17111600338666-1920.jpg?w=840

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

just need to see his tik tok noodle ass haircut do a few more pretentious goalpost meditation sessions and he’s a lock for top 2 

45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Don't forget his weird-ass "Tibetan Monk Meets 12 Year Old YouTuber" outfit from his pro day.

48311-17111600338666-1920.jpg?w=840

You guys leave Rudy, I mean Sean Astin, I mean JJ McCarthy, alone! He's just doin' his smiley best. 

In other sort-of news: Vikings doing their part to chum the draft trade waters:

Also, fyi fwiw: 

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If you're not with me,  then you're my enemy. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

You guys leave Rudy, I mean Sean Astin, I mean JJ McCarthy, alone! He's just doin' his smiley best. 

In other sort-of news: Vikings doing their part to chum the draft trade waters:

Also, fyi fwiw: 

Live shot from Jayden Daniels's home right now:

2Olm.gif

• Haha 2