Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Nystrom says Maye is worse at throwing off schedule than Daniels. Daniels doesn't even throw off schedule lol its run if the first read is covered.

This clown man...

I mean, yeah...there are literally statistics for this. The guy is 193 out of 196 college QBs since 2019 when it comes to how often they throw after breaking the pocket. You can see it when you watch the film, too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

"he's a winner" is the absolute worst argument ever and has ZERO translation to the NFL.

By that logic, Stetson Bennett should have been the #1 pick.

And Mac Jones was going to be the next Tom Brady.

I don't feel like we've done a real post mortem on Mac Jones BTW.  He had a roller coaster career where he was good as a rookie in an ultra limited training wheels offense, then promptly fell apart when those conditions were no longer possible to produce for him.

I hated Mac Jones as a prospect.  Maybe diverged more with him from the consensus on any QB prospect in a while.  He was absolutely nothing special, no plus traits whatsoever, no creativity, no burden of playmaking upon him in college, no demonstration of an ability to handle adversity.  And people were trying to tell us he was going to go #3 overall.  And the strength that everyone would always pinpoint when gushing about him?  His ultra clean footwork in the pocket.  People also wanted to tell me he had elite accuracy too, but that was not true.  Tua had elite accuracy, Mac Jones did not.  What he actually had was average accuracy and a bunch of elite weapons that were super consistent about hauling in his passes, even when they had to make a tough play off their frame look routine.

I wasn't a Justin Fields fan either, but I thought it was crazy that so many people had Mac Jones over him.  I think there are a lot of similarities between Fields/Jones and Daniels/McCarthy, and there is a similar dynamic being recreated this year.  Fields had similar strengths and weaknesses to Daniels. Mediocre arm talent, seeing the field through a straw and having no feel for pressure, lack of creativity as a passer, but electrifying running ability that supplemented their pocket work.  Fields was a smarter and more instinctive runner than Jayden though.  Jayden has really bad vision and instincts as a runner and can not see past his next move.  Fields also had a way better body than Jayden.

And I think McCarthy is similar to Mac Jones in that he's just a caretaker of an elite team with mediocre traits and zero creativity, except for the one big difference in that he can legitimately run.  Mac Jones was a better passer than JJ though, and he actually threw the ball in college.

If we were picking three, I wouldn't for a moment prefer McCarthy over Daniels, just as I would never have picked Jones over Fields.  But to me it's a moot point that we need not worry over because we have the far better option and opportunity to draft Drake Maye at #2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

And Mac Jones was going to be the next Tom Brady.

I don't feel like we've done a real post mortem on Mac Jones BTW.  He had a roller coaster career where he was good as a rookie in an ultra limited training wheels offense, then promptly fell apart when those conditions were no longer possible to produce for him.

I hated Mac Jones as a prospect.  Maybe diverged more with him from the consensus on any QB prospect in a while.  He was absolutely nothing special, no plus traits whatsoever, no creativity, no burden of playmaking upon him in college, no demonstration of an ability to handle adversity.  And people were trying to tell us he was going to go #3 overall. 

I remember when the 9ers traded up to 3 and people actually thought it was for Mac Jones. Now they ended up drafting another bust in Trey Lance but at least that represented a true blue chip home run swing. Mac Jones was such a "meh" prospect and I feel the exact same way about McCarthy.

I just don't get it. Dude threw like 10 passes a game and you wanna draft him NUMBER 2?? I'm not big on Daniels either but at least I can see the potential and reason to draft him high. McCarthy is just...like I said, "meh." He's the kinda guy you take a flyer on at the end of the 1st at the absolute highest.

I don't want Daniels at 2 but I can at least get behind it. Drafting JJ effing McCarthy #2 overall would have me immediately questioning if Peters is really him.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah right its a big mystery.  A few days ago he said the opposite.

Its gotta be hard to keep answering these questions knowing that the people asking them KNOW you wont say anything worth recording, but doing it anyway cause the fans feel like they deserve some idea of what you are doing so you have to take it somewhat seriously. All the while being careful not to say anything of value....that value being questionable cause you have the 2nd pick anyway lol. 

I was thinking about this last night but at some point I would just start talking about my favorite cheeseburger toppings. Like raw onions certainly are worth the second overall if it was any other year....but this season.....with BBQ sauce right there? You have to, as a coach, think you can get the best out of BBQ sauce otherwise what is the point? That's our job. To get the best out of every condiment and topping you can and put them in the best position to be delicious. But there are so many good options who... we haven't even made a decision on yet. We have meetings with Ketchup and Jalapeños this week. And Munster cheese has his pro day tomorrow. We have a lot of work to do. 

Im going to five guys. 

43 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Wylie is going to start at RT next year.  He's not the disaster that you guys were scapegoating him to be last year. 

People act like he was the Chinese floods of 1930 when he was merely the Haiti earthquake.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Wylie is going to start at RT next year.  He's not the disaster that you guys were scapegoating him to be last year.  He had a 69 grade from PFF and played a thousand snaps last year.  He's a starter, especially in a league with a shortage of OTs. 

He's replacement level at best IMO. Part of his issue is hes so inconsistent - he looks OK for stretches and then suddenly either has a brain fart and blows an assignment or just whiffs.

You might be right - and it certainly seems he is at least penciled in at RT at the moment. There is a lot of ground to cover through the draft and free agency leading into OTAs and Camp and then cuts. My feeling is there is a good chance neither opening day starter is currently on the roster.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Harsh weather part is a clue. Unless he's just talking out of his butt.

Mahomes is from Texas. Allen is from California. Jackson is from Florida.

Just get talent. The weather stuff is overblown.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not comparing the two. I'm saying the logic of saying "we should draft him because he's a winner" is terrible because its not something that translates to the NFL.

if you wanna argue he has a good arm, size/athleticism, experience in a pro offense etc. then fine, I can at least listen to that argument.

Subjetive arguments like "he won", "he was clutch" etc. are just useless trash arguments that have no merits for translation to the pros.

Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Lamar jackson didn't win much in college either.

Projection is the hardest part. A different sport, but I saw Kemba Walker will his UCONN squad to a National Championship after leading them through the Big East Tournament. I never thought he'd end up having a better pro career than Kyrie Irving, who only played 11 games at Duke. Same position, relatively the same size players. It's levels to it and Kemba has had a solid career nonetheless. Kyrie has had ups and downs, but is a Hall of Famer with one of the most iconic shots in NBA history.

In football, it's even tougher to evaluate QBs because guys play in different schemes and the talent level of teammates and between teams is so widespread across the board. Mahomes was absolutely lighting it up at Texas Tech and had footwork issues coming into the league. Reid/Ryan Poles saw something there, as did Kingsbury. If Kingsbury sees similar traits in one of these top guys, I'll trust his judgement even though the final call comes down to Peters.

Edited by BMagic
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Harsh weather part is a clue. Unless he's just talking out of his butt.

You're looking way too much into it, I think. He's making generic statements about QBs.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Mahomes is from Texas. Allen is from California. Jackson is from Florida.

Just get talent. The weather stuff is overblown.

Not if you have a noodle arm and are afraid to throw over the middle.

Just now, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Looking way too much into it is all I got. We still have a month of this crap.

Everything right now is basically a Rorschach test. People see and hear what they want or already think when it comes to what coaches and FOs say leading up to the draft. Daniels people heard DQ and GMAP talk about ability to create, escape pressure, and move and immediately said "THIS MEANS DANIELS!"

You already said your gut says McCarthy, so you hear "harsh weather" and you immediately link it to McCarthy.

IMO it's nothing but generic speak. And that's absolutely on purpose. It's just a person's mouth moving right now, nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Everything right now is basically a Rorschach test. People see and hear what they want or already think when it comes to what coaches and FOs say leading up to the draft. Daniels people heard DQ and GMAP talk about ability to create, escape pressure, and move and immediately said "THIS MEANS DANIELS!"

You already said your gut says McCarthy, so you hear "harsh weather" and you immediately link it to McCarthy.

IMO it's nothing but generic speak. And that's absolutely on purpose. It's just a person's mouth moving right now, nothing more.

They're going Bo Nix. I feel it in my gut.

2 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

They're going Bo Nix. I feel it in my gut.

I agree. In a recent interview someone asked DQ how he felt today and he said "I have a boner"

Which is clearly a reference to Bo Nix.

Book it.

• Haha 2

Just now, MartinC said:

Editing away ...

I'm pretty sure everyone knew what you meant I'm just a smart ass by nature, can't help it.

😁

And I agree, I have a feeling that by training camp the tackle position will look quite different. 

I'm not entirely convinced we'll be able to get someone better than wiley off the post draft heap or that we'll start two rookies but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet - but the possibilities if we draft Jayden Daniels......not gonna lie,  the "feel goods" is off the charts!  

**NOTE just ignore the coach here.....apparently the developers didn't get the memo on the updated coaching staff....but players are all legit for next year**

Edited by srtman04