Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Walker runs an incredibly lazy route. He’s really not good on anything except verticals.

He's one of the most frustrating players in the class, and he definitely needed another year in college IMO.  He lost the Georgia Tech game for UNC too, which when you consider that he's the reason the Clemson and NC St games got out of hand too, that's three games they lost last year because of him.

I keep giving that dude chances and going back to watch him again with an open mind after I saw him burning past guys at the Senior Bowl.  His actual play speed is extremely fast, maybe second only to Wiggins in the class.  He is easily as fast as Worthy and Adonai Mitchell and Brian Thomas.  But then you get to the end of the play and it's him dropping the ball over and over again.

He just sucks.  I wouldn't draft him despite the fact that he's 6'2 and can pretty much outrun anyone in the NFL except Tyreek Hill.  He's got such sky high potential that is wasted by having such an awful football IQ and no toughness or competitiveness.  Nevermind that he can't catch or run routes, his problems are deeper and more fundamental than that.  The league grinds kids like him up.  NFL Receiver is not for the faint of heart, and if Josh Doctson was too soft for the NFL, I don't see how Walker is going to have much of a chance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Expected as we had a limited number of arms on the Roster and not enough to get thru camp but I just wanted to point out that Adam Peters said in his interview that in terms of QB we "two in the room and you're going to get two more."

Gotta wonder if some other QB they like is there late in the draft they may be open to taking him.

I've done no research on the kinds of guys available on the back end, so there is no specific prospect I am keeping a eye on, but it will still be interesting to see it unfold.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Expected as we had a limited number of arms on the Roster and not enough to get thru camp but I just wanted to point out that Adam Peters said in his interview that in terms of QB we "two in the room and you're going to get two more."

Gotta wonder if some other QB they like is there late in the draft they may be open to taking him.

I've done no research on the kinds of guys available on the back end, so there is no specific prospect I am keeping a eye on, but it will still be interesting to see it unfold.

IMO this QB class is outstanding at the top end but pretty "meh" on the back end with depth. After the top 4 or 5 there's a pretty big drop off. Rattler is certainly intriguing, but I'm guessing he's more of a 3rd round guy, and we probably wouldn't want to spend that high of a pick when we have other needs. If you want an ultra talented but uber raw guy there's Milton. If you want someone that's more polished but with less top end potential there are guys like Pratt from Tulane or Hartman from Notre Dame.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mac8887 said:

I’m hoping the new 1st string o line takes every snap in preseason to get things completely in sync if they plan on starting the rookie day 1.

Not sure if you are being serious here but zero chance that happens. Your best ability is your availability - you need those guys healthy and fresh coming into the grind of a 17 game season.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

I've done no research on the kinds of guys available on the back end, so there is no specific prospect I am keeping an eye on, but it will still be interesting to see it unfold.

I can absolutely see us taking a developmental type QB late in the draft with the idea of him becoming the backup in the future. Mariota is likely a one year rental and Fromm does not belong on an NFL roster.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I can absolutely see us taking a developmental type QB late in the draft with the idea of him becoming the backup in the future. Mariota is likely a one year rental and Fromm does not belong on an NFL roster.

Agree, I think Peters will go QB day 3 as well.

4 hours ago, illone said:

Actually, he was asked to carry Michigan, just not in the same way Maye was asked. In the biggest moments in the biggest games, he delivered with his arm and made plays. I watched every single play of both playoff games. Against Bama he was down 10 and you just never felt any panic in the kid. He was going to find a way to move the ball and make plays. I was not shocked AT ALL when he converted a bunch of 3rd and longs and at least one 4th down as well. Miss any of those and they lose the game. 

I got the same vibe from Mahomes when he was down 10 in the Super Bowl. It was like, cool, I'll spot you ten points and then rip your heart out in the 4th quarter. 

Never in doubt.

I want that killer instinct in my QB. 

Llke Burrow, Mahomes, Brady, Montana.

That ice in your veins that you will not be denied.

Josh Allen does NOT have that. Neither does Herbert.

Talented, yes.

Killer instinct? 

Nahhh.

I can see where you're coming from for sure. When the 49ers scored the FG in OT, I knew they loss right then and there because Mahomes is that guy. I actually figured the Chiefs would repeat before the season started because I see Mahomes as being that transcendly great.

Not trying to make excuses for Allen, but we may look at his career differently if it weren't for 13 seconds and Mahomes/Kelce/Hill. Then, they were cooked with the Hamlin situation the year they played Burrow. No excuse for Mahomes coming to his house and getting it done this past season though, that's going to haunt Allen for a while. Wide-right is Buffalo's version of the yips.

Maye could have that dog in him that we haven't seen yet since the team surrounding him wasn't quite up to par. Growing up in a house with four older brothers (all athletes at that) meant he had to scrap to earn his keep and their respect. That type of environment can groom a person to be extremely competitive. Nothing was handed to him in that house. Turned down Saban and Alabama and kept his family ties to UNC. He had to know he wouldn't have been surrounded by as much talent and still decided to take on that challenge. The opposing viewpoint could be he ducked the pressure of playing at Alabama.

The worrisome thing is all Butch Davis QBs seem to enter the league with bad habits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bacon said:

McCarthy has potential and some very good qualities, but him starting day 1 for this Commanders team is a recipe for disaster and Mariota is not a viable QB1. He simply didn't have to throw that many passes at the college level. Daniels is much further along in his development, though it is more possible that we're closer to his ceiling.

I disagree with this assessment. I think he’s more day one ready than Daniels or Maye, personally. 

In HS he ran a pure spread. In college he ran an under center run heavy scheme. He is experienced in many, many schemes. 

He has great command and a huddle presence. His teammates, by all accounts, would run through a wall for the guy.

I’m NOT saying he has a higher upside. The truth is that I have no idea. 

But I also think that people are making things up to make their personal biases shine through more. 

I don’t have a horse in this QB race. I don’t care. I’ll take any of the four. And I’ll have nice things and negatives to each. But all four can develop. Who matters less than how. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 3

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

One thing I've wondered about Maye's footwork being inconsistent and sometimes sloppy is how much of it may have been a product of so often being pressured so fast. That's honestly me wondering, not trying to make excuses...because I legitimately just don't know. Maybe someone like @KDawg who's an actual football coach could expand on it.

Even in the above clips you see so many times where he practically has guys in his lap within 1 or 2 seconds. I could see it potentially being tough to get your footwork consistent and improve on it when you're constantly under duress.

There is always an element to pressure and football work. A QB can’t drop clean if there is no place to drop clean.

Having said that, no. It’s a mechanical issue for Maye. And those can be fixed. But how long is anyone’s guess. Could be fixed in a month. Maybe a year. Maybe two.

But as long as it’s not fixed he’s going to air mail a few passes, miss the mark and find himself running into sacks.

But it will evolve. As he cleans up consistency with his overall mechanics messy pockets will be less uncomfortable. 

They’ll still effect his drops at times. For sure. But the more consistent he is with his mechanics the less they’ll be effected.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Not sure if you are being serious here but zero chance that happens. Your best ability is your availability - you need those guys healthy and fresh coming into the grind of a 17 game season.

I was being sarcastic, though, I am hoping for a trade back into the 1st round if it means we get a LT that has the ability to start right away. I like the revamp of the IOL. And im sure that we won’t be putting the new qb in the same situations that Sam was in last year. 

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

He has an idea.

But his job is to toy with everyone.

And I am here for it. This guy is winning me over more and more. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

He has an idea.

But his job is to toy with everyone.

And I am here for it. This guy is winning me over more and more. 

Definitiely the opposite approach to Rivera as to holding his cards close to the vest.  Rivera that one off season came off public and desperate shopping for QBs, told the world they really really really want a QB.  That probably helped the Colts to fleece them.

• Thumb up 2

Listened to Tony Pauline, draft guy, he's a bit hit and miss as for rumors.  He said he'd be shocked if McCarthy went above Maye or Daniels.  

Similar to what Graziano said on Keim's podcast yesterday. Albright is often good with gossip but his and miss with the draft -- as I posted yesterday he doesn't buy the McCarthy to this team rumors unless something recently shifted.

The other thing I'd throw in judging by McGinn's scouts, who tend to be more accurate that the average mock draft as what actually happens on draft day -- they weren't that enthused by McCarthy.  Granted though that his version of the scouts closer to the draft is more accurate than the early version right now.

I like McCarthy but not as much as Maye or Daniels.    But I'll say as some have reminded there sometimes is a Qb who is perceived as a riser often at this phase of the game but it doesn't always hold ala Will Levis last year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like McCarthy but not as much as Maye or Daniels.    But I'll say as some have reminded there sometimes is a Qb who is perceived as a riser often at this phase of the game but it doesn't always hold ala Will Levis last year.

It's not just the risers. Almost every year, a top qb starts tumbling through the first round and sometimes farther. By top qb, I mean top rated by the mock drafters and arm chair qbs. If teams rated/valued qb x the same way as the draft experts, this wouldn't happen. The time they spend watching film is great but a lot of it is about the person. I haven't personally sat in a room with any of the top qbs to see who they are as people and neither has Mel.

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

because you already know he can make those NFL level throws both by seeing it on tape and in the stat sheet.

Not only can Maye make those throws but he can vary them. He is better at varying throwing speed than any other QB in this draft. I think sometimes that is why he misses badly. He tries to layer a ball instead of just ripping in there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I disagree with this assessment. I think he’s more day one ready than Daniels or Maye, personally. 

In HS he ran a pure spread. In college he ran an under center run heavy scheme. He is experienced in many, many schemes. 

He has great command and a huddle presence. His teammates, by all accounts, would run through a wall for the guy.

I’m NOT saying he has a higher upside. The truth is that I have no idea. 

But I also think that people are making things up to make their personal biases shine through more. 

I don’t have a horse in this QB race. I don’t care. I’ll take any of the four. And I’ll have nice things and negatives to each. But all four can develop. Who matters less than how. 

Running a spread in HS is a drastic reach as to why he is more pro ready. There is zero chance JJ is more pro ready than Maye and Daniels. He will not be a starter on opening day of the upcoming NFL season unless the starter ahead of him goes down in preseason. You sort of have to be good throwing the football for starters. 

Edited by BayouBrave86

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah right its a big mystery.  A few days ago he said the opposite.

I think he kind of said they are locked in a taking a QB (to the surprise of literally no one). I think what is being said here is they just have not made the final decision on which one yet.

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

I was being sarcastic, though, I am hoping for a trade back into the 1st round if it means we get a LT that has the ability to start right away. I like the revamp of the IOL. And im sure that we won’t be putting the new qb in the same situations that Sam was in last year. 

We almost have to come out of the 2nd round with a starting OT - I'd hate to do it but I could understand us packaging the two 2nd round picks and some change t get back into the second half of the first round if an OT we like is there or if there is a run on OTs and we fear missing out. Right now I would say both opening day starting OTs are not on the roster.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Running a spread in HS is a drastic reach as to why he is more pro ready. There is zero chance JJ is more pro ready than Maye and Daniels. He will not be a starter on opening day of the upcoming NFL season unless the starter ahead of him goes down in preseason. You sort of have to be good throwing the football for starters. 

No, it's not. It's experience within a type of system and depth of drops, etc. He was a highly recruited prospect and he spent a lot of his time reading the field from the gun in HS. Yes, pros and college are different levels of competition. But he played at Michigan. And while they weren't a spread type of offense, he still needed to read defenses. There are adjustments to be made, but it's not new ground. It's like riding a bike and learning a new stunt versus learning to get on it and ride for the first time.

"There is zero chance JJ is more pro ready than Maye and Daniels" is an odd way of saying you're bias. Zero chance? Speaking in absolutes shows a lot of bias in your post, so I'd refrain from that when posting. Your screen name doesn't help with the bias.

And, again, I'm not taking shots at Maye or Daniels. They are both incredible prospects. We'd be lucky to have either as our guy. 

Also, McCarthy is good at throwing the football. What an odd thing to say. 

• Like 2