Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im in a loving mood so I wanted yall to know I think very highly of most of you and you should be proud of yourselves even if we dont always agree. This **** is not easy to do and we do it well imo. 

Nothing but love coming from me.

This post made my day.

Thanjs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I can't believe I'm going to have to spend likely the rest of my life dealing with Pats fans celebrating Maye's career. 

If you squint your eyes, Maye’s face kind of looks like Tom Brady. I’m just fanning the flames, lol.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Just to add to this: I don't think yall know (or appreciate) how difficult what we do here actually is. Getting so many people from so many diverse backgrounds in one room is difficult enough. But to have them debate something that really has no definitive answer with any kind of intelligence and grace is next to ****ing impossible. I read and write on like a 3rd grade level compared to @The Consigliere but because of what we are able to do here, even I was able to learn something (lots actually) from our back and forth. I started by calling him biased and we ended at yea he is biased and he should be and I understand it. We all are in some way its how we make choices. 

Anyway. Im in a loving mood so I wanted yall to know I think very highly of most of you and you should be proud of yourselves even if we dont always agree. This **** is not easy to do and we do it well imo. 

Ah yes, that precarious and underappreciated journey from vituperation to discernment and even, I dare say, approbation. Felicitations for your panegyric on camaraderie! 🤓

Wut. I'm bored. There's no good interwebz gossips on draft stuffs. I found a dictionary.

• Haha 2

Just now, Dah-Dee said:

Ah yes, that precarious and underappreciated journey from vituperation to discernment and even, I dare say, approbation. Felicitations for your panegyric on camaraderie! 🤓

Wut. I'm bored. There's no good interwebz gossips on draft stuffs. I found a dictionary.

I know you made some of those words up lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But if the PFF guys don't even trust their numbers to dicipher what QB to take.  And you think the tape lies because scouts can watch it objectively.  How do we do this?

We guess, and pretend our guesses have more authority behind them than they really have, at least with QB's anyway.

I'm almost inclined to give an inch from the angle that: at least they know enough to figure out who should be day 1, vs day 2 vs day 3 selections and the hit rates suggest they know what their doing when sorting QB prospects into those buckets, but we all know opportunity and reps are gold for QB's, and w/o them, its impossible to figure out or give a fair shot to day 3 guys and some day 2 guys so even that data is a bit distorted, but I still think its reasonable to say the league and the services, generally sort these guys right, and when they don't it smells more like randomness (say Tony Romo UDFA), than a fundamental problem w/even that level of the process. Otoh, the best two QB's from the '22 class were Howell and Purdy, and they went way way way way later than they should have in Howell's case, and with Purdy, maybe his as well (from the context as a college player, obviously Purdy turned out better than anyone, including his college coach probably expected). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I can't believe I'm going to have to spend likely the rest of my life dealing with Pats fans celebrating Maye's career. 

I think there's a good chance whoever gets drafted by NE flames out.

Because it's a horrible situation.

Next to nothing on offense and an owner who wants his son to be deeply involved in everything after being told to STFU by Bill B for 20 plus years.

And because of the self-serving dynasty doc and all the stories about how Kraft crapped on Bill B to whoever he could, the fanbase is furious. I don't suspect there will be much patience for this new regime. 

Now the qb that goes to Minnesota... that's a different story. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Daniels didn’t lose to UVA :lol: he was also busy lighting up Alabama, Florida, Missouri, Ole Miss, etc. He was shut down for one half essentially in the opener against FSU. 

No, he didn't.

But he did lose to BYU, UCLA, Utah, and some other unranked scrub teams from the Pac-12 like Colorado, Wazu and Oregon State.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

He has to keep saying it for the people in the back

Text from tweet:

Reporter: “There’s speculation that you may not want to go to Washington. Do you want to just squash that?”

Jayden Daniels: “I’m blessed to go wherever I’m called. Whoever calls my phone, (when the) commissioner gets up and says my name, I’ll be blessed, and they’re going to get my all.”

Reporter (later): “To clarify, would you be OK being drafted by Washington?”

JD: “Yeah. 100 percent.”

During the lengthy interview, Daniels repeatedly said he’s not sure what to expect tomorrow night and wants to go as high as possible.

I can't sit here and act like I believe that is an NFL body. He looks so diminutive. But oh well, what I think doesn't matter and I do genuinely trust the staff.

I will be subdued on draft night if he is indeed the pick, but I have accepted it. 

I am also preparing to watch Maye go to the Giants at 3 because it will cause maximum heartburn.

I'm more interested at this point in all our other selections.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Like many intellectuals, after you soberly evaluate the circumstance of a subject and arrive at your conclusion you're not willing to compromise what you believe, simply to be accepted by the mob.

You value truth, and intellectual integrity. Words that have lost meaning in today's world. 

This opens one to scorn and envy from the mob, whose beliefs and convictions are maleable to suit them whenever circumstances change.

You likewise find it difficult to suspend disbelief-- particularly when logic and reason lead you in the other direction.

You value principle and personal integrity in words, deeds and thoughts. --smh--

These are all absolutely terrible qualities to have in this Hume-ean nightmare we call life.

Following this kind of authentic, valient, even heroic world view, nowadays , will ultimately lead you to a life filled with sadness, madness, and utter despair.

My professional suggestion is that you  drink brown liquor regularly, use hallucinogenics occasionally, and don't take life so seriously.

Choose to live a life of quiet, powerless desperation. Give in to the whims if the moment.

Truth does not exist.

(Yes, of course, this is satire)

@The Consigliere, I disagree with many of your arguments, but I admire the intellectual integrity of the man behind them.

:kowtow:

That's very nice of you. Thanks :). 

In regards to your and Llevron's takes in recent pots, I've been posting at CPND, Extremeskins, bigsoccer (and to a lesser extent, hockeysfuture for the caps, and realgm for the wiz)_ for decades, and other than realgm (where I'm just a miserable, gloomy jack--- when I post), I definitely think you get functioning communities in forums best when you allow for debate, and the bifurcation that will automatically happen between the Glass is full, empty and poisoned set's, and those that defer to authority and not, those that follow the herd and those that don't, and then the individual nuances that make us all unique, you get a functioning board, so long as people behave with some degree of intellectual integrity. It even functions when people don't, but I think when people do it builds trust, which is why I try to make a point of admitting when I'm clueless about something (like why Lawrence is blech or that I know what will make a QB prospect successful or not), or that I was wrong....whether its McLaurin or Rosen, or Tua, or like half of the QB's I liked, or for stupidly ranking Reagor and Jefferson dead even years ago etc....there's a social capital we're all afraid of earning (because few like to admit they're wrong) that comes from intellectual humility be it in terms of assumptions, or an admission of fault or ignorance, I'd like to think.

In the past I think I posted with what either was, or seemed like a hubris, I've worked on that, so its hopefully easier to discern that if I don't want Leggete and view him as a likely bust, it's because the profile is associated with 1 out of every 6 or 7 successful NFL WR's, while going w/guys like say Odunze 30 picks earlier, fill 5 out of 6 or 6 out of 7 buckets of guys who hit. I like to bet draft capital on guys who have profiles closely associated with hit rates, and don't worry (perhaps enough) about context for the guys that don't pass those thresholds....but if I do miss badly on a guy because of it, like McLaurin, I've got to learn if it's just the randomness of that 15-17.5% hit rate is gonna hit about once very 6.5 times, or was the reason a player like McLaurin more nuanced, and if looked under the hood, saw Curtis Samuel and Michael Thomas and Parris Campbell and KJ Hill, I could see why he might get lost in the shuffle the same way Joe Burrow was.....now I'm babbling though...Anyway, I'm trying to get my point across w/o hubris, and w/the humility that comes from knowing what I don't know, like who the hell will hit at QB, and admitting of the intellectual arrogance I also might have (like a strong sense of which QB's I think are more likely to bust). 

But I drafted far more combined shares of Levis, Richardson and Young than I did of Stroud last year, so really, what the hell do I know?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I think there's a good chance whoever gets drafted by NE flames out.

Because it's a horrible situation.

Next to nothing on offense and an owner who wants his son to be deeply involved in everything after being told to STFU by Bill B for 20 plus years.

And because of the self-serving dynasty doc and all the stories about how Kraft crapped on Bill B to whoever he could, the fanbase is furious. I don't suspect there will be much patience for this new regime. 

Now the qb that goes to Minnesota... that's a different story. 

There are rumors of Jonathan Kraft wanting to be heavily involved, but not sure how true it is. If it's true, that's a problem. And I'm not sure about the coaching staff. Some good people on it, have to see how it works out. 

But for the roster, I keep reading people her talk about how they have "noting" and that's pretty laughable. 

At the moment, their OLine is better than ours (one would assume our draft capital would hep us improve more than they can)

Their TE is better

Stevenson is at least the equal of Robinson. 

The only real advantage Washington has is at WR. And while I think NE needs a playmaker there, it's not exactly a disaster. Demario Douglas showed a lot of promise, Bourne is a good player and KJ Osborne could b a sleeper FA signing for them. They still have JuJu for depth too. 

It's not a spectacular lineup for a rookie to walk into, but neither is ours. And they have Brissett and you;d easily give Maye the time to develop rather than throwing him to the wolves right away. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You're going to outlive us all my friend.  You'll be arguing about whether or not the fourth generation cyborg Manning is elite.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Yeah I think all the JD supporters are great with Maye. It’s the other side that seems to have a few detractors of Daniels. 

I used to be fine with Maye, but I’ve soured on him more recently, especially after hearing Cooley, who is someone I like, and he saw the same kind of things I saw. Consistently innacurate, poor footwork, and doesn’t see the field well. I do see the strong arm, and the ability to make some great plays, but the negatives with him just outweigh the positives for me. 

I think about how the chiefs beat the ravens, and pretty much just continued to take what the defense gave them and just started chewing up clock and eventually the ravens just didn’t have enough time to really do anything. I just don’t think we’d be able to do something like that with Maye. He misses to many throws and I think that it would lead to way to many 3 and outs.

I feel, with Maye, we’d be hoping for the explosive play here and there, and going off script to convert third downs, and I just don’t think that’s a sustainable offense.

With most NFL games decided by 10 points or less, I feel that consistency is king, and that the great teams consistently hit on the layups and run game to keep the chains moving and occasionally use the deep ball or the off script explosive play to put the team over the top, but if your relying on off script plays, and explosive plays for your offense to be successful, you will be tiring out your defense and constantly playing from behind.

On top of this, in my opinion, the modern day NFL offense is about getting your guys the ball in open space and you really need a qb with great ball placement to make the most of it, and I agree with Cooley that Maye doesn’t have consistently good ball placement.

Now I’d get behind Maye if he is the pick, and I understand that his traits are worthy of a high pick, but in my eyes he is a project, and there is no guarantee that his accuracy or consistency will improve. I think his ceiling is just as high as anyone else’s, but I see his floor as much lower. In my opinion he is Qb5 in this draft and would be Qb6 if I thought Bo Nix had a higher ceiling. At one point a month or 2 ago, Maye was QB2 in my eyes, but that was only after watching highlights. Once I watched his every throw and run I had completely changed my mind.

But if we pick Maye, I’ll be excited about his traits and be hopeful that he will become really good. I won’t be mad or angry at the team for picking him

Edited by mac8887
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Anyway. Im in a loving mood so I wanted yall to know I think very highly of most of you and you should be proud of yourselves even if we dont always agree. This **** is not easy to do and we do it well imo. 

This right here.☺️

• Thanks 1

Lots of good meat on the bone in this one

Couple of highlights for me

-Said all these draft QBs have similar skillsets of being athletic, so JD does not comp to himself any harder than the other guys

-Said he personally talked to JD about protecting himself better. Acknowledged that he himself was poor at sliding and when he finally reached that "ah ha" moment of needing to slide more in his own career, it was 2013 and the knee brace made it difficult.

-Had a cool introspective about progressions and the virtual reality Jayden uses. It forces him to process faster by only making information available for a short period.

-Spoke about how fast you gotta take info in at the NFL level, otherwise you get sacked. Spoke of JDs ability to eliminate routes from his tree based on coverage, which speeds you up

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

You're going to outlive us all my friend.  You'll be arguing about whether or not the fourth generation cyborg Manning is elite.

And the Patriots will have him. While Washington will be stuck with Cyborg Gus Frerotte crushing his metallic dome head butting concrete support beams. 

• Haha 5