Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Absolutely not.  If Peters and Quinn mess this up, they need to go.  They've been given the second overall pick in a QB class with at least two blue chippers, opportunites don't get better than this.

If it fails, we need to move on with a new regime and let them pick the next QB prospect.

I agree want no part of Daniels

• Like 1

Teams tell Schefter what they want him to present to the public. How many of them are actually being honest? 

I have a feeling if we don't take Daniels he might actually fall. I just...I don't see it with him. I think McCarthy might actually end up QB3.

Reg. if AP drafts a bust, it really depends. If the rest of the roster is kick arse and it turns out the entire class was just garbage, he could salvage his job. Look at the Jets, they effed up with Wilson but they've built a real good roster besides that and then got unlucky with Rodgers. Heck even Peters's former team survived the Lance fiasco.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bh32 said:

I still think it's Maye..It just dosen't make any sense to draft a QB that is older with a lower ceiling over a QB that has a higher ceiling that is younger with prototypical measurements..I could see it if this was a GM and HC that was in say year 2 or 3 of a build,But to be in your first year together? It's just foolish with the red flags that JD has.

Exactly I am fully with you. Daniels age related should be going into his 2nd year in the NFL. Maybe it’s not that big of a deal and I do give him credit for having an outstanding year. Just don’t like his long term outlook with his style of play and thin frame. Plus the having outstanding Wrs and a good OL.

I am not too concerned with Maye having a down year. New OC mediocre wideouts and bad offensive line. I feel it was expected. I believe his upside is so much better than Daniels

3 hours ago, Ghost of said:

"He's got to see it to believe it."

No thank you.  

He was ****ing late on throws at his Pro Day.  Had to make sure Brian Thomas separated against that air I guess.

The kid does not throw at the break and never before.  And it's because he doesn't actually read the field fast.  He is not a fast processor, and I'm tired of having my leg pissed on and told it's raining.  I can see him taking all day to throw with my own eyes, and it's every single game.  Some of them he's late on like 40% of his throws.  Tired of that bull**** narrative about him finally figuring out how to read the field because of his magical German VR machine.  The reason he finally started making plays was because he had all day in clean pockets last year.  I'm also tired of hearing all that bull**** about how great SEC defenses were.  That Alabama and Missouri defense were trash and they're supposed to be two of the best in the conference.  Stuck getting gashed in crappy man coverages off of very basic motions with breakdowns over the top and no one spying Jayden underneath.  They couldn't get any pressure on him either, and that's with three NFL draft picks on their line.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Depends what else they do re the roster development and coaching job. Should John Lynch and Kyle be fired?

But a lot has to go right to survive a QB picked at #2 busting.

If they hadn't hit the Hail Mary of all Hail Marys with Mr Irrelevant, then yeah.

But they also never had to give Trey Lance a real shot because of Purdy.  Shanny probably could have made it work with Lance too if he hadn't messed up his leg.  He's a QB whisperer.

4 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I hadn’t considered the possibility that this could actually happen, but I guess in a hypothetical scenario where Peters drafts Daniels on Thursday, I’d say somebody else should be making the picks on Friday.

This thread is going to be VERY entertaining to read in a few years.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

This thread is going to be VERY entertaining to read in a few years.

I’ll be attending @Koolblue13’s psychedelic mushroom draft party and if we take Daniels, I’ll attribute the sudden realization of his great potential to the new pathways being opened in my brain. It’s been in the works for weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’ll be attending @Koolblue13’s psychedelic mushroom draft party and if we take Daniels, I’ll attribute the sudden realization of his great potential to the new pathways being opened in my brain. It’s been in the works for weeks.

this looks and sounds like a public invite. 

I’ll bring the music and JJ McCarthy jerseys. 

🔊 

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Conn said:

Funny that Keim dedicated the whole post to making it clear that it is nobody’s job to lose, and why—and your immediate takeaway was that it is in fact someone’s job to lose. When he said “don’t overlook something because u have already settled” he’s explaining why they haven’t already settled on anybody, not saying that despite settling on somebody already they don’t want to miss something

Maybe my take on what Keim meant wasn't all that wrong. Sounds like he is pretty confident that they have a strong preference and this is basically JD's job to lose next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Maybe my take on what Keim meant wasn't all that wrong. Sounds like he is pretty confident that they have a strong preference and this is basically JD's job to lose next week.

It’s illogical, IMO, for us to be less than 2 weeks out from the draft and still not have a strong preference. Still being very undecided right now on that would be a concern for me.

If they were decided on Maye, I think they would have made it clear by now.  The reason: among casual fans, and yes, the majority of the fanbase, though of course not at Extremeskins, picking Maye would be viewed as a disappointment.  I believe this new FO and ownership group is very savvy about PR and optics.  If Maye really was the pick, they would want to “get in front of it” as soon as possible and start getting their fans, especially their casual fans, to be acclimated to and “ok” with the choice sooner rather than later.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My gut is telling me Schefty and others are setting up the Daniels slide to be the “story” on draft day. How “reports said” he was going 2nd overall but teams weren’t as high on him as “the public” thought. 

Gotta find an angle to keep casuals tuned in on draft day. 

• Like 1

Article Image

The first leak from the team? Cookie Monster has been hired by the Commanders' new team dietitian Samantha Hawkins. He's already in attendance at OrthoVirginia Training Center at Commanders Park and is obviously all in on Jayden Daniels. He's trimmed down to a similar physique and once Daniels is drafted, will work directly with him on the proper NFL cookie eating techniques. The two will meet on Monday April 15 during Daniels' prospect visit with the team. A team spokesman has confirmed the hire, but stated that the they have not made a decision on their draft pick, and that they are continuing their hard work and thorough process. First reported by @MuppetNewsman.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, illone said:

this looks and sounds like a public invite. 

I’ll bring the music and JJ McCarthy jerseys. 

🔊

Got a record player? I'll bring Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds... on 45 of course.

Just in case things get really bad.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Panninho said:

I was listening to Cowherd explain why he thinks it will be Daniels.  It's a variation of what Schefter actually said.  It's personnel people with no stake in the game telling him Daniels is clearly QB #2.  Keim said ditto but in his case its coaches.

So the way I look at it is they'd likely would look as if a thread like this was sort of the earth is flat society thread -- as to the theme that it has to be Maye and anything else is ridiculous.  Because the NFL people they are talking to are mostly saying the opposite its Daniels with some saying if anything not taking Daniels is ridiculous.  Feels like what they are hearing is a combination that the NFL is much higher than some on this thread on Daniels -- combined with real concerns about bust factor with Maye.

Look am OK with the idea that people here think they should be running these front offices and are smarter than the average GM.  I get they will back off the idea when cornered on the point when its presented in this way because it comes off like ridicule.  But the thought isn't ridicule its just parsing the idea that if they truly think their expertise extends just for QB, that's the spot they understand better because GMs have blind spots we don't have and are too expedient in their decisons, etc.   That's enough in my book that they should be running a team.  No ridicule implied.  It's that the spot is so important. And the code is so hard to break, that if someone feels they broke it, then that's big time acumen that should be utilized.

Back to the NFL.  It's not about that one segment below its just its an avalanche of pro Daniels PR takes.  It's not just Berkert, P. Simms, C. Simms, Quinn, Daniels, McElroy, O'Sullivan who push Daniels being better than Maye.  It's extends into some Daniels versus Caleb debate from Orlovosky, Riddick, and here Jordan Palmer, see segment below.  For the few Daniels people here like I gather @wit33 they'd enjoy that segment below.  It's nothing deep but its just another in a big pile of Daniels PR that seems to be growing.  

So the buzz is getting a bit overwhelming for Daniels.  So when guys like Schefter, Keim, Breer think it's Daniels.  I don't think because its they are dumb reporters, who haven't been around enough to know when they are being played.  That's just beyond ridiculous to me that GMs with no stake in the game are just lying to them for kicks and really prefer Maye and having a laugh at these reporters expenses by telling them the opposite of what they feel.

The buzz for Daniels is real.  i am still a Maye guy.  But on this thread it almost comes off that i don't because for some it feels like if you don't think Daniels is a bum and its Maye by a country mile and anyone who doesn't see it this way has a clownish take.  Like I said most of those who have pushed Maye outside of this thread, don't feel that taking Daniels is a clown move.  They just prefer Maye.  I can relate because that's my take, too.

Agree with the post that this thread should be interesting to read years later.  lol, on that front, my take is BOTH Maye and Daniels end up good QBs.  If they don't end up good QBs in Daniels case its because of injuries.  In Maye's case its because his accuracy-footwork issues don't get fixed.  I am more of a Maye guy because he has a wide variety of throws in his basket that i think translate better and i have less concerns about injuries. 

Why do i think Daniels will be good, if he can stay heatlhy?  Heck an electric runner (yeah I don't think like some here its an overrated trait) who can throw in the flat (much better than Maye on this front) and can throw a good deep ball -- and is a hard worker -- that alone is plenty enough to succeed in the NFL.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If we do take Daniels, we should draft OL and WR in every round. Build the most stacked offense possible and recreate what he had in his one great college season. 

We surely need both for any QB we take. I just keep looking at the Giants DL and our Wiley...ugh

Edited by DWinzit

11 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

We surely need both for any QB we take. I just keep looking at the Giants DL and our Wiley...ugh

It’s a scale. I think the “need” for great protection and WRs is higher with Daniels than it would be with Maye. But yes, both are priorities regardless. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Thumb up 1

If we do take Daniels, we should draft OL and WR in every round. Build the most stacked offense possible and recreate what he had in his one great college season. 

Feels excessive.  I think both QBs need a real deep threat WR.  Both need a LT.    Aside from that, for me Maye lives in between the numbers on the 2nd level. Daniels more so outside the hashes and in the flat -- deep outs-fades.  Both throw good deep balls.

For Daniels I'd be more into pass catching RBs.  For Maye more into a TE.    Daniels can use a TE too but to me it would be more about YAC TEs ala Sanders, J. Bell.  

If I am focused on the 2nd round and later

Deep threats (both):  Burton, Legette, A. Mitchell.  I think Roman Wilson has more to this game than his numbers show.  I like Polk on fades -- seems to track the ball on those well.

Flat throws (Daniels):  Corley, Malik Washington

In between the numbers 2nd level (Maye): Pearsall, McConkey, Wilson, Coleman, McMillian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s a scale. I think the “need” for great protection and WRs is higher with Daniels than it would be with Maye. But yes, both are priorities. 

Do you really see that as a significant ‘need’ gap between those QB prospects.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Feels excessive.  I think both QBs need a real deep threat WR.  Both need a LT.    Aside from that, for me Maye lives in between the numbers on the 2nd level. Daniels more so outside the hashes and in the flat -- deep outs-fades.  Both throw good deep balls.

For Daniels I'd be more into pass catching RBs.  For Maye more into a TE.    Daniels can use a TE too but to me it would be more about YAC TEs ala Sanders, J. Bell.  

Deep threats (both):  Burton, Legette, A. Mitchell.  I think Roman Wilson has more to this game than his numbers show.  I like Polk on fades -- seems to track the ball on those well.

In between the numbers 2nd level (Maye): Pearsall, McConkey, Wilson, Coleman, McMillian

A bit of hyperbole, sure. But the point is Daniels hasn’t proven he can operate at a high level with subpar surrounding talent. Maye has. 

I know you may not agree with this point, but I do think Daniels is a bit lacking when it comes to anticipatory throws, and I don’t think it’s primarily due to the offense he was in. More often than not, he needs to see his receivers come open before he throws it. That will mean he’ll need longer in the pocket (better protection) and receivers who can consistently separate at a high level.  Otherwise, I don’t have much hope the offense will be able to consistently move the chains. It’ll take a lot more than a pass catching RB. 

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Yes. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I prefer Maye.  But I'd actually argue Maye would need a bit more because i do think Daniels legs is more likely to help the O line initially.

It is interesting to me though from the perspective that they are very different types of QBs who IMO can use different types of playmakers.

Sort of my theme why it isn't crazy on both sides of the argument.  The Daniels is king and Maye sucks (mostly on twitter) and the Maye is king and Daniels sucks (mostly on this thread) is to me it feels like you are comparing apples to oranges.  Really different styles.  So if one style doesn't float someone's boat I get it.  But it doesn't to me extend to right and wrong -- its different styles.

Been looking to bring the steak-hamburger analogy back per your request.  But it doesn't fit here.  It's more maybe ethnic food.  The British love their Indian food.  in the states, I'd say Italian or Asian food would be tops.  Totally different tastes, different cuisine.  Different.  Some hate one type of food perhaps and love another.  That's cool.  i get it.  That's how I see this debate. 

But yeah in general, i don't think one QB needs more than the other. It's that they are different ways to amplify their strengths.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My personal issue is the overall lack of size of our receiver core.

What realistic deep threats WITH SIZE will potentially be available for us in the third or 4th round, anyone can answer?