Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Hence the long sleeve shirt today and the reason he didnt run, obviously would have thrown off his balance.

Joking aside, wonder how long ago that photo was taken? and whatever it is, it sure didnt seem to effect his throwing today.

I think it is probably something to do with the shutter speed on the camera. His arm would be moving very fast when that was taken. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Personality wise he's billed as chilled and shy.  So definitely not rah rah

Would you interpret chilled, shy and not rah rah as questionable leadership material at the next level?

Edited by FuriousD

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Very nice workout. Dont care about the balls he missed at all. I wanted to see the velocity and spin. And we got that. He doesnt have Calebs or Drakes arm. But I think he has a better arm than Burrow does. I was also happy with how he looked physically. I am damn glad I am not the one making a choice here at 2. :)

I think his arm got tired and the deep throws at the end suffered.  But I thought the workout was OK.  He showed off good throwing power.  His drops looked slower than I expected, and the workout as a whole lacked urgency.  I was hoping to see a CJ Stroud type of throwing session where he just moved through each drop and throw like a machine.  Explosive steps, explosive hitches, super fast release with easy spin.  No fatigue.  Even Stroud's head movements when he was looking off his throws were explosive.  He was locked in, and I thought Jayden was very casual and slow paced.  Also felt like the ball was slow to come out.  He's sitting at the bottom of his drop holding it and it comes out late, plain and simple.  He doesn't like to anticipate breaks even in a scripted session, and this dude is going to need a really clean pocket to operate a full field passing game.

I'm just not sold that he's better than Maye at all.  If we pick him over Maye, I think we'll be making a mistake, and a consequential one.  It'll be hard for me to get on board with that choice despite all of the good work Peters has done so far.  I'll root for him, but I won't be able to buy in until I see it work out.

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I think his arm got tired and the deep throws at the end suffered.  But I thought the workout was OK.  He showed off good throwing power.  His drops looked slower than I expected, and the workout as a whole lacked urgency.  I was hoping to see a CJ Stroud type of throwing session where he just moved through each drop and throw like a machine.  Explosive steps, explosive hitches, super fast release with easy spin.  No fatigue.  Even Stroud's head movements when he was looking off his throws were explosive.  He was locked in, and I thought Jayden was very casual and slow paced.  Also felt like the ball was slow to come out.  He's sitting at the bottom of his drop holding it and it comes out late, plain and simple.  He doesn't like to anticipate breaks even in a scripted session, and this dude is going to need a really clean pocket to operate a full field passing game.

I'm just not sold that he's better than Maye at all.  If we pick him over Maye, I think we'll be making a mistake, and a consequential one.  It'll be hard for me to get on board with that choice despite all of the good work Peters has done so far.  I'll root for him, but I won't be able to buy in until I see it work out.

I noticed he sometimes took almost a hitch or extra baby step and held the ball longer. Considering no defenders or pass rush, was a little concerning.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I'm just not sold that he's better than Maye at all.

I am not either. Was just commenting on what I was looking for. Which was arm strength and size more than anything else. He checked those boxes for me today. All of these guys are going to need to grow at the next level. I prefer Maye as well. But I will get behind whichever guy they choose. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is neat, different angles on some of the throws, video quality not great but still something else to scrutinize lol (also a better angle for seeing GMAP and Quinn right behind Daniels):

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1

Just now, Dah-Dee said:

All he is missing is a no pressure no diamonds type of platitude slogan to along with his cliche answers.

First in order to even be close to perfect at a pro day, you first have to participate in all aspects of the pro day. By refusing to run he obviously failed at that.

Now he wants to twist loading up on iv fluids at midnight as somehow a heroic effort to perform at the pro day. The dude’s answers don’t make sense at all. He’s a fraud.

• Haha 4

I am firmly in the Maye camp.  And its not a tough one for me.

But if they do take Daniels, i am good with it.  Mainly because i assume they have a plan to run an offense around Daniels' wheels.  Daniels to me feels very boom-bust.  I am not in the camp that because of his wheels his floor is higher.  You can be a meh QB with wheels.  See Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Malik Willis -- heck Mariota.  These guys aren't even arguably low tier starting QBs.  You can be fast and suck.  It happens.

But Lamar, Russell Wilson and to some extent Hurts and Kyler have succeed as dual threats.     The other upside to Daniels is he's by far the more exciting player.  If we get some 2012 RG3 buzz that wouldn't hurt for a franchise trying to regain interest from their fans.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

I think some but not all of you know that both Drake Maye and Sam Howell ran the Air Raid O at UNC.  If you didn't, they did.  I think that gives a big edge to Maye.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think some but not all of you know that both Drake Maye and Sam Howell ran the Air Raid O at UNC.  If you didn't, they did.  I think that gives a big edge to Maye.  

Agree, notwithstanding Kingsbury's doth-protest-too-much-ish declaration 'don't call it Air Raid!'

I also think it's important in the context of trading Howell. Mariota has no Air Raid experience. Seems like if Commanders were drafting Daniels, also with no Air Raid experience, they'd have been interested in having at least one QB familiar with the concepts. But if it's Maye, and I think it's probably been at least leaning-Maye all along, then Howell is duplicative at best, and possibly disruptive given the close relationship between the two UNC QBs.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Sounds like Daniels nailed it today, he's gonna be our next QB.

I've watched a lot of these over the years, I've seen better, I've seen worse.  But that part typically doesn't matter much.

The important thing typically are the interviews after the proday, so the key for Daniels is to nail that.  

But if they were torn between the two, I don't see anything about that performance that shuts the case in favor of Daniels. 

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 4.13.40 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched a lot of these over the years, I've seen better, I've seen worse.  But that part typically doesn't matter much.

The important thing typically are the interviews after the proday, so the key for Daniels is to nail that.  

But if they were torn between the two, I don't see anything about that performance that shuts the case in favor of Daniels. 

Opinion not directed towards you, SIP first and foremost.  Dude's too light to withstand a week to week beating in the NFL.  Love him but no thank you.  His playing weight will change and he will have a hard time keeping the weight on.  My take. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah pro days are just another pre-draft Rorschach test like all the other stuff IMO. The majority of top prospects look fine on their pro days throwing in shorts and ideal conditions in scripted plays.

So if he's "your guy", you're going to be convinced that he nailed it and that sealed the deal in his favor. If he's not "your guy", you're going to say it was only so-so and he didn't really convince any of the doubters.

That's why, unless the guy is clearly terrible or is completely unprepared, pro day throwing is basically meaningless to me. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

When you look at almost all of the really bad hits Jayden took last year--against Missouri, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, and FSU--the problem was he was making a low FB IQ play.  Basically in every case, he tried to cut the ball up field without a hole or without momentum and got destroyed.  He has poor vision/instincts as a runner, and gets so fixated on beating the defender right in front of him, that he gets killed by the next guy he doesn't see at all.

I think it's part of a larger problem in Jayden's game in that, after the ball is snapped and ends up in his hands, his view of the field compresses too much.  This is what is meant by the "sees the field through a straw" phrase.  It was the biggest flaw in Sam Howell's game, and the same for Justin Fields too.  It's a significant issue for QB prospects, and I think it's the fundamental reason why Jayden is scared to throw the ball into tight windows or into the middle of the field when he's moved off his outside reads.  He doesn't take risks as a thrower and can't stand to turn it over, so he pulls it and runs instead.  And he's really good at it and it worked well for him in that explosive LSU offense.  The problem is he just doesn't see the field well when he runs.  Maybe he developed this style because he was always faster than everyone before he got to the SEC and was able to get away with stringing together 15 moves in traffic without getting touched, but it doesn't work any more.  And I'm skeptical that he can easily change a fundamental part of his playing style.  I'm skeptical that he can significantly expand his vision of the field once he's at a vastly more intense and difficult level of the sport.

Drake Maye OTOH is a baller who sees the field really well.  He has superb instincts and FB IQ.  It's how he's able to create and pull off such crazy stuff during games so much.  He plays football like a super creative lead guard in basketball, but the kid also averaged like 10 RPG in basketball.  He's rugged.  He's basically another Josh Allen in style, with a little less arm talent but a lot better touch and decision making skills.

Full disclosure - I don’t like to argue with you or @KDawg or any of the other folks with experience coaching, playing or scouting. I don’t have the knowledge to do it in the first place but my leadership style in life and in business is often to be as objective as possible and learn something from every interaction. Combine all those things and I just always end up agreeing with you guys lol. 

That said, an argument to this “see the field from a straw” thing about Daniels I have seen other (professional) people make is that he makes pre and post snap reads better than most in this draft class. And leans on them to determine where the open man should be, and if the play isn’t there he is taking off because he has the ability to do so and make a big play. I find this as a good counter to your argument. His view isn’t small, it’s that he is only looking where he thinks the play should go based on coverage and then bailing when he is wrong or when it’s covered. 

I agree with you on Maye for the most part. I just think he is sometimey. Inconsistent as hell. But again, that’s from other folk’s opinions. I ain’t watching the film. I wouldn’t know what I’m looking at even if I did, I think I have proved that lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

you were first to diagnose

Again, not directed at you, SIP.  This is another reason you don't spend a #2 overall on this player!  I've pointed out the other ones in previous post(s).