Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

*** Note *** I want to stay a #2 BUT We make the trade we get:  Minnesota's 2024 1sts ( #11, #23) 2024 4th (#108), WR Jordan Addison, 2025 1st and 2026 2nd.   Vikings get: Maye at #2 

Give us Jefferson and I'll take it :)

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Addison is on the cheap and is Hollywood Brown 2.0.  Let then keep and pay Jefferson the mills he wants and let us get Addison on the cheap for the next 3 years and "X" WR off our draft list.  

Edited by RWJ

On 3/16/2024 at 4:14 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Pretty much backs up my argument that the league seems to think Howell could be a starter. Sounded like 3 to 4 teams were bidding for him, and the winning bid was basically the equivalent of a late 3rd to an early 4th for a guy with only 2 years left on his deal. In fairness with Fields, his option has to be picked up pretty quickly, which is probably part of the reason the trade value is pretty crappy. You only get a 1 year deal, unless you're willing to give him the option (in my view, yeah, give him the freaking option, otherwise, why trade for him, he's worth the risk of a 5th year), and it's worth noting, Wilson is  beyond donezo. Doesn't mean Fields wins the job, sounds like the plan is for Wilson to be the statter for now unless FIelds wows them and/or Wilson does not (he's basically had about 5 or 6 quality weeks in the past 2 years, and has been headed downhill fast since '21). 

But the really sad thing here, is that it underlines that back to back QB classes, the well liked '21, and the dumpster fire ---- show that was '22, ended up absolutely horrible. No big hits so far, and only Lawrence has proven he's capable of being a starter in the league. Yikes, kinda like '13-'14-'15-'16 stretch where the guys were either hot garbage, questionable at best, or major projects across the board. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, RWJ said:

*** Note *** I want to stay a #2 BUT We make the trade we get:  Minnesota's 2024 1sts ( #11, #23) 2024 4th (#108), WR Justin Jefferson, 2025 1st and 2026 2nd.   Vikings get: Maye at #2 

Fixed because if its not JJ they can kick rocks. Not like we don’t have the cap to pay him

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

If there was another QB that was drafted other than Maye and I think they go, Maybe, I would say McCarthy would be the guy.  He still could be.  We don't know until draft night.  I do believe we also draft another QB late in the draft.  Keep an eye on Hartman.  That's my guess. 

Hartman had an awful combine, other than his 40 time was better than expected. He missed so many throws and had the weakest arm out there. He could probably be had as a udfa. I’d like it, the guy is probably the most experienced college qb ever. He loves the game, and would be a great teammate. 

I actually wouldn’t mind a late round flyer on Milton. We could stash him on the practice squad. He is inaccurate as can be, and awful at processing the field, but he has a Geoff gorge/rex grossman type cannon, he is also an athletic freak. The coach would have 4 years to try to fix his issues. His flaws are terrible, but his physical traits are amazing. 

• Thanks 1

I think I’m leaning Daniels at 2 right now… but I go in waves. I’ll settle in by the draft.

If it’s Maye I can see Mariota seeing significant time to start the season and I don’t like it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think I’m leaning Daniels at 2 right now… but I go in waves. I’ll settle in by the draft.

If it’s Maye I can see Mariota seeing significant time to start the season and I don’t like it.

Why?

And did you watch the UVA game from this year?

I’m fine either way. 

I am a little surprised by your current preference. 

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Why?

And did you watch the UVA game from this year?

I’m fine either way. 

I am a little surprised by your current preference. 

His wrist snap and arm usage and decisions are NFL level. He has clean mechanics, although he doesn’t use his torso enough on his throws.

He is an athletic guy that can use his legs to give him time to develop.

His cons are well stated: he takes too many hits and he looks like a stick figure.

Maye’s mechanics are really sloppy at times. I really like his middle of field throws and athletic ability and size, though. He has a rocket for an arm, too. 

But his footwork is sloppy and he has a penchant to sack himself.

I think he’s probably more likely to be healthy but also needs a bit more work.

I’m not sold on Williams mechanically, either. He takes a lot of time to throw and the stuff he gets away with in college won’t be the case in the NFL.

I think Daniels has the most upside. Caleb has the highest ceiling (yes, I view them different… upside is growth potential and ceiling is overall best) and Maye has the consistency angle.

I waiver back and forth.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

I’m still leaning Daniels at this point. I don’t hate Maye and wouldn’t be mad if we took him. I trust this front office until they give me reason not to.  

It seems like both camps have people that are taking their criticism of the other QB to the extreme.  These 2 QBs would be the top pick in most drafts. I actually wouldn’t be shocked if either has a better career than Caleb. While I think Caleb should go first, it’s not like he is a perfect prospect.  He took a little bit of a step back this last season from his heisman season.

Edited by JMURedskins
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I keep switching back and forth as well. Give me a Herbert/Allen comp vs a Lamar comp any day though. I just need maye to be ready to go day one 

• Like 1

This video has been posted but how many hits can this thin man take?  Reality is not many.  Unfortunately, and I love the man and his talent and had him as my number two guy but he can't take hits by the Pros like this and they will be more lethal.  He won't last and this is an Ole Miss video!  

• Confused 1

I think Daniels' arm is strong enough to play at the NFL level. It's not ideal but with his quick feet, quick release and good mechanics, it plays. And I think he showed he can throw over the middle and attack small window throws, they were just rare. A lot of the criticisms of him are hyperbolic. 

That said, the more I watch of both of them I'm stronger and stronger to the Drake side. And.... I think it's for different reasons than most.

I like his brain and processing. I have Maye as head and shoulders on a different level when it comes to pre-snap reads, throw plan (though he doesn't always have the ball placement), and broken play processing/field awareness.

First, I think he sees the defense well pre-snap, has a good idea what to do with it, though his oline was almost always beaten within 2 secs. He generally sees blitzes. He was surprised at times, but so is every QB.

His movement on the pocket is instinctual and clever, even though it occasionally moves him into trouble. Love how he keeps the two hands on the ball, rolls his shoulders to avoid slaps, and the way he seeks a good angle for the throw. That's all textbook, although yes sometimes his feet lag behind a little.

I think he sees how he wants to influence his receiver with the throw better than anybody else, and he has the arm to do it. Right now his placement let's him down sometimes. But I think he will get more accurate with ball placement in the league.

His anticipation on throws is miles ahead of Daniels or Caleb, and in fact sometimes he anticipated too much. in 2023. As I've mentioned before, UNC was a coaching **** show in 2023 and he was often not on the same page as his receivers. I really question how much he worked route practices with his receivers. 

The most stark difference between him and Daniels in broken play field awareness is that his eyes never come down. He's looking for a throw option right up to the last possible second, and sometimes after.....left handed, falling down, whatever. He's like Caleb in that. 

His interviews from what I've seen have been on point. He could have pointed a lot of fingers at receivers and coaches last season, and he never did. The dude just keeps his mouth shut and tries to get better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just watched some Bo Nix, dude is a baller. He is, who we hoped Sam would be. He does all the things Sam does good, but better. He struggles with processing the field when asked to drop back and first read is covered just like Sam, but unlike Sam, he doesn’t make bad decisions because of it, he just stays cool, calm and collected.

He might struggle a little early on because he doesn’t get through his reads quick enough, (it seemed like he had no leeway on where he was supposed to go with the ball pre snap, and if the first read was covered it would take him to long to come off of it, and even longer from 2nd to 3rd). He will have to make a living making off script plays early on in his career because of it, but he’s not going to be one to take awful drive killing sacks, or throwing bad interceptions. He makes good decisions, it’s just that a lot of the time it just takes him to long to make it.

If he is able to up his field processing game, and learn to play on time in a multi read, dropback passing game, he will be really, really good.

He is so accurate throwing on the run, a good runner, strong arm, and is dynamic off script. Throws a tight spiral, with touch and with zip when needed.

He is probably the most improved qb coming out this year from where he was his first year, night and day from what he was at auburn. Whoever ends up drafting this guy could be striking gold.

If he were to boom, he would be somewhere in between prime Russel Wilson and Patrick Mahomes, being closer to Russ than Pat, but with a little bit of that Sam Howell bowling ball rumbling tumbling running style. He is not quite the improviser that Mahomes is. 

His floor seems pretty high as well, maybe Sam Howell, but a better decision maker that isn’t able to consistently play within the timing of an offensive. Back half of the league starter, to very quality backup. I think this is where Sam ends up if he can stop making bad decisions with the ball, it’s ok to take sacks and punt, but you can’t take sacks and punt while also throwing lots of picks, that’s never a good combination.

Edited by mac8887
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If Vikes trade up to 3 for JJ theyre all getting fired

Im just trying to figure out if they know something we don't, or if this is the rumor that the Niners trade up for a top '21 pick was originally for Mac Jones. Remember how he was steamed up to consideration for top 2-3? Crazy. I think it's insane personally because it's so thoroughly speculative. But we'll see. I would not take him inside the top 5-7 or so for sure, and I actually like Penix more, for teams that are built to win now or tomorrow, JJ seems better for teams that will take a while to be great, Penix, you got a worry his body might fall apart in 5 years, but while he's healthy, he should be really good. JJ? I don't know what to think of any of this. So bizarre. 

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

*** Note *** I want to stay a #2 BUT We make the trade we get:  Minnesota's 2024 1sts ( #11, #23) 2024 4th (#108), WR Jordan Addison, 2025 1st and 2026 2nd.   Vikings get: Maye at #2 

No interest the '25 class sucks. Their firsts this year are outside the blue chip zone. I do love Addison. If this had been 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 I probably would've done it. Not this year (and I would've been wrong in '23). 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Addison has 3 more years on a rookie deal, and a 5th year option to play with, he's more valuable of an asset. Jefferson's about to get PAID next offseason, the biggest FA contract ever given to a WR, as such, he doesn't carry the value Addison's cost control does even if he isn't remotely in Jefferson's tier. 

1 hour ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I think Daniels' arm is strong enough to play at the NFL level. It's not ideal but with his quick feet, quick release and good mechanics, it plays. And I think he showed he can throw over the middle and attack small window throws, they were just rare. A lot of the criticisms of him are hyperbolic. 

That said, the more I watch of both of them I'm stronger and stronger to the Drake side. And.... I think it's for different reasons than most.

I like his brain and processing. I have Maye as head and shoulders on a different level when it comes to pre-snap reads, throw plan (though he doesn't always have the ball placement), and broken play processing/field awareness.

First, I think he sees the defense well pre-snap, has a good idea what to do with it, though his oline was almost always beaten within 2 secs. He generally sees blitzes. He was surprised at times, but so is every QB.

His movement on the pocket is instinctual and clever, even though it occasionally moves him into trouble. Love how he keeps the two hands on the ball, rolls his shoulders to avoid slaps, and the way he seeks a good angle for the throw. That's all textbook, although yes sometimes his feet lag behind a little.

I think he sees how he wants to influence his receiver with the throw better than anybody else, and he has the arm to do it. Right now his placement let's him down sometimes. But I think he will get more accurate with ball placement in the league.

His anticipation on throws is miles ahead of Daniels or Caleb, and in fact sometimes he anticipated too much. in 2023. As I've mentioned before, UNC was a coaching **** show in 2023 and he was often not on the same page as his receivers. I really question how much he worked route practices with his receivers. 

The most stark difference between him and Daniels in broken play field awareness is that his eyes never come down. He's looking for a throw option right up to the last possible second, and sometimes after.....left handed, falling down, whatever. He's like Caleb in that. 

His interviews from what I've seen have been on point. He could have pointed a lot of fingers at receivers and coaches last season, and he never did. The dude just keeps his mouth shut and tries to get better.

I really like Maye because of what I think he can do, mainly, everything but house call a 80 yd Qb draw. Great arm, Great size, great mobility. But he played in a very vanilla college passing offense, and it’s yet to be known how good of a field processer he is, right now that’s impossible to know. I don’t think he was really asked to read the d very much, and he has shown to make some throws that make you wonder what he was seeing. He does hold the ball to long quite often and that causes him to go off script a lot, but he is amazing off script and throws really well on the run. he struggles with consistency and his mechanics can get sloppy. Can be very accurate at times, and very inaccurate at times. Potential is there to be a top 5 qb in the league, key word here is potential, amazingly high ceiling, scary floor. I do believe good coaching will raise his floor considerably. He had poor coaching at UNC

Jayden I like because of what I know he can do. At LSU they ran a hybrid RO/prostyle offense where he was asked to read the defense on most every play, sometimes even calling shifts pre snap. He sees the field really well. He is fast at getting through his progressions, he can get to his 3rd or 4th read quick. He does lack elite arm strength, but makes up for it a little with great mechanics and an amazingly quick and clean release. He will also skip tight window throws even if there is a throw to be had and this is something that definitely needs fixing. He is very accurate. He is to risk adverse, but does protect the ball. And he has game breaking speed and amazing acceleration. He is really skinny and that is terrifying when you see some of the hits he takes. He is truly a unicorn, you don’t see dual threat QBs coming out of college that can process the field the way he does while the play is in motion. He had great coaching at LSU

Edited by mac8887

On 3/16/2024 at 8:41 AM, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

This isn't the most manly thing to say but I record y&r and bold and the beautiful five days a week on my dvr. And watch them all. Lol. 

Wow that’s crazy. I watch both of them as well. My fiancée got me back into them 4 years ago. I usually watch them late at night after I get enough sports thru out the day

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, spjunkies said:

But remember our luck.  We make that deal then can't move up to get JJ, maybe end up with Penix.  And he's great, but remember our luck.  Penix's leg falls off at his introductory presser, and we're left with Mariota missing or not seeing Jefferson for 17 games next year, still win enough to bork our draft position next year because of the other upgrades and coaching.

And maybe we can come back from that, but remember our luck.  Penix gets a weird necrosis from the bum limb that turns into the zombie disease we all know is coming, half the population gets eaten by their neighbors, we get hit hardest because we were at ground zero, so the team really sucks and we do manage to finally get a #1 overall pick just in time for like the worst (and smelliest) draft class ever.

Maybe some of the flyover colleges will survive cuz they have all the preppers and guns, and we'll get some super elite stud QB from Bama or wherever.  Prolly not though, because REMEMBER OUR LUCK.

Or maybe it'll all work out fine.  You do you.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Either way, are you definitely still going QB at #2 ? Both Daniels and Maye have enough about them in your opinion to take that shot at #2. Genuinely asking because the main reservation for me is that I’m still unsure on that ‘value’ once Williams goes #1.

3 hours ago, fanman8825 said:

Wow that’s crazy. I watch both of them as well. My fiancée got me back into them 4 years ago. I usually watch them late at night after I get enough sports thru out the day

That's awesome. We could talk about the current storylines! Of course that would get on everyone else's nerves relatively quickly and Jumbo would throw us outta here 😂

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who knows about this, some Vikings blog guy referencing a USA Today report about the Vikings want to trade with Washington because they are hopped up about Drake Maye.

I think we’d have to be part of a three team trade in that scenario to ensure we were still picking top 3-5