Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Warhead36 said:

To what end? They're drafting Caleb.

It was mostly a joke. However us putting it out there that Maye is number one on our board MIGHT make the Bears get FOMO or at least think twice. I know, I know... it is a little far fetched but with Caleb and his attitude in play you never know.

43 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Caleb is number 1, non of the other guys are even close, McCarthy is closer to Jayden and Drake than they are to Caleb. I’m just glad one of the top 4 guys that everyone is projecting to go in the 1st had the balls to throw. What were the other 3 so afraid of that McCarthy wasn’t?

McCarthy isnt close to Jayden or Drake for me. I cant speak for NFL teams though. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Doubt they are firm about anything still more to process about these QBs. Although wouldn’t surprise me if they have leanings but the process is just starting so I’d be surprised if they are firm 

I think they probably have a pretty good idea where they are after the combine interviews. But things could change for sure. 

Nothing will be cemented until after the pro day and you gotta see how FA goes as well. If you can't properly address OL, the thinking might change to go Daniels knowing that his mobility alleviates the need(somewhat)for immediate OL upgrades.

• Like 2

I have been told by multiple sources this week that signing Cousins -- not trading for Justin Fields -- is the Falcons' top QB solution, assuming Cousins makes it to free agency.

Fowler: The Cousins-Minnesota negotiation is nuanced, due in part to history. Cousins has spent six seasons with the club -- that's a lot of shared experience. Just 10 days from the new league year, Minnesota is at least loosely bracing for Cousins to test the negotiating window that begins on March 11, though there's a lot of time left for the sides to continue talking. This close to free agency, waiting might be Cousins' logical play -- and one that essentially puts the team's broader free agency plans on hold.

Does Minnesota go younger at certain positions for long-term strength, or should it load up on immediate roster help now? The answer could depend on whether Cousins re-signs. As one high-ranking exec with another team said, the feeling is that Minnesota wants to extend Cousins but won't live or die by that desire. It will have limits. And as you said, Dan, some people in the league believe Atlanta will pursue Cousins. As one NFL exec put it, that's probably one of the best overall free agent fits out there.

...What's happening with a potential Fields trade?

Fowler: The major quarterback domino that many are waiting to fall is Chicago's Justin Fields decision. Chicago has not played its hand, and several league sources believe Fields -- who has not requested a trade -- could probably garner a Day 2 pick in a potential deal. There's no firm deadline on a trade, though the start of free agency is sort of a soft one. Chicago will need multiple teams in the fray to drive a market, and after asking around, I expect Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas and Minnesota to be on the radar.

There's plenty of smoke around Atlanta and Fields. Some around the league are wondering about the fit, thinking a Rams-influence offense under new offensive coordinator Zac Robinson could target a Cousins-style quarterback, while others say Fields' immense talent will be maximized in that scheme. As one league source put it, Atlanta has done enough work on Fields, Cousins and Baker Mayfield that the chances of coming away with one of them are fairly good.

...Will the Commanders, Patriots trade their Day 1 picks?

Fowler: Washington has received trade inquiries from teams on the No. 2 pick. While they might not be hard, actionable offers, the interest in moving up is there. Among teams that could be on the QB radar are the Giants (No. 6), Falcons (No. 8), Vikings (No. 11) and Raiders (No. 13). That said, I would be surprised if Washington moved off the pick.

Graziano: There's a lot of speculation about what the Patriots will do with the No. 3 pick. Some thought early in the week that a trade down was possible, but by the end of the week, the sense seemed to be that the Pats would stay put and take one of the top three quarterbacks. That wouldn't preclude New England from pursuing a veteran such as former Patriot Jacoby Brissett in free agency, in case it decides it doesn't want to rush the prospect it selects at No. 3.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39637538/2024-nfl-combine-latest-buzz-news-rumors-free-agency-draft-trades

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mac8887 said:

Caleb is number 1, non of the other guys are even close, McCarthy is closer to Jayden and Drake than they are to Caleb. I’m just glad one of the top 4 guys that everyone is projecting to go in the 1st had the balls to throw. What were the other 3 so afraid of that McCarthy wasn’t?

The top three have some distance on McCarthy. They had nothing to gain by throwing - that McCarthy felt the need/benefit of throwing tells you he knows he has ground to make up to get into the conversation with the top three.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 3

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The top three have some distance on McCarthy. They had nothing to gain by throwing - that McCarthy felt the need/benefit of throwing tells you he knows he has ground to make up to get into the conversation with the top three.

It also shows that the other 2 had no desire to try to throw their way into #1 overall. Caleb is just far ahead of them for them to even try to catch him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

It also shows that the other 2 had no desire to try to throw their way into #1 overall. Caleb is just far ahead of them for them to even try to catch him.

#1 is a lock. Bears are taking Williams. 

• Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We’re not trading back for anybody.  

All the tier 2 guys are way behind the tier one guys.  

I wouldn’t be that surprised if only 3 QBs go in the first.  The reason a 4th would go is there is a team who has no chair when the music stops who feels compelled to pick a guy and get the 5th year option. 

People said in 2022 QBs were going to be over-drafted because teams need QBs.  Some had Malik Willis and Pickett in the top 10-15.

Pickett was the only QB  drafted in the first round and Willis lasted into the third.  

I could see the same thing happening, except with 3 QBs going 1-2-3. Then nothing until the second round.  

These second tier guys all have question marks.  And McCarthy just isn’t that good.  

I’ve been wondering about the McCarthy hype myself.  I’m not a college football fan, so the only games I watched were the college football playoffs.  When Michigan played I kept wondering how the hell they made it because the QB was really average, then the running game, defense, and game management stuff showed up and I thought, oh that’s why, it’s Harbaugh and the coaching staff!  Helluva coaching job he did this year! 

I’m no QB guru, and yes anything is possible, but the folks clamoring for us to trade back and draft McCarthy are absolutely nuts to me.  My eyeballs see NFL backup.  I say roll with Howell and build the roster before going with any of the QBs outside of the top 3 this year….  They’re. Not. Close.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:31 AM, BayouBrave86 said:

Just don’t see it with McCarthy. He is Daniel Jones 2.0. A game manager, nothing less nothing more. I pity whatever team trades up and drafts him. I’d take Penix or Nix over JJ.

He looked after in some of the throwing drills yesterday and yet some NFL analysts were saying oh look how consistent he is and I'm like did we watch the same person throwing the ball. Granted they kept making excuses for every ball he mixed but I didn't see Bo Nick's hardly Miss anybody there were a few dropped balls by Nicks but there weren't any that were like so far off Target

On 3/1/2024 at 11:23 AM, Warhead36 said:

I don't know if anybody

On 3/1/2024 at 12:11 PM, Dah-Dee said:

I know Baker's a FA, but I think the reporting is, Bucs are likely to resign him for $$$, and besides, not sure I want to go down the Kliff Koached That Guy road, for that way Mahomes madness lies:

So Theres A Chance GIFs | Tenor

I've been seeing a lot of work that Baker really thinks he's worth top 10 QB money and it sounds like the Bucks won't be able to keep Mike Evans and if that's so Baker may not want to come back there I think if you gave him a reasonable deal that he would come here and then we could take Joe to be his Blind Side

• Thumb down 1

Even if the McCarthy rise is just a mirage that probably needs to kill the trade down talk.  You can never be sure what other teams will do, so the last safe pick before a team might take McCarthy is 5, and is 4 once trade ups are considered.

And assuming we don't break taboo and trade with the Giants we probably go at least to 8, barring some 3-way shenanigans.

So even if you like McCarthy, you can't move.

2 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

I mean you would think at this juncture of his career Cousin's would be saying to McCarthy his agent, shop me with a team that can make a run, and give him a short list. But not Kirk. He likes to be paid. And he has enough money now for generational wealth. 

For the hits those guys take standing in the pocket between a monstrous man a his families’ paycheck, I’d want every dollar I can get too, and wouldn’t let the opinion of anybody get in the way.  Fans included. 

15 minutes ago, Veretax said:

But be honest if Chicago takes Harrison or May and Williams is there and we offer him to New York and they take him imagine him in the New York media

Yeah. Just imagine him gashing our defense for the next 15 years. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.....

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

For the hits those guys take standing in the pocket between a monstrous man a his families’ paycheck, I’d want every dollar I can get too, and wouldn’t let the opinion of anybody get in the way.  Fans included. 

He has every dollar he could possibly need for generations. Come on now. What is left after you have all the money and you're a starting QB in the NFL?  Winning the SB.  

38 minutes ago, MartinC said:

#1 is a lock. Bears are taking Williams. 

Been the lock for a long time and I think  Maye at #2 for us has been the same, even while a "due diligence" process and some strategic media comments have taken place and will continue. I also think it's been settled for awhile that Daniels will be the third pick. To whom he goes is a little less sure to me given NE being more enigmatic than most teams over the years.

The most fun thing about the draft though is it's ability to surprise and unexpected events that change the context for already "settled" choices.  And there are few times in a season where ordinary fans are as likely to be right in predictions as the real pros.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, Veretax said:

I've been seeing a lot of work that Baker really thinks he's worth top 10 QB money and it sounds like the Bucks won't be able to keep Mike Evans and if that's so Baker may not want to come back there I think if you gave him a reasonable deal that he would come here and then we could take Joe to be his Blind Side

if we do that, I'll book my 2025 wildcard tickets right now.  Feels like we'd build to 9-8 in 2 seasons.    After that Baker likely wears out his welcome -- maybe Brissett back at that point in FA.

Just now, skinsmania123 said:

He has every dollar he could possibly need for generations. Come on now. What is left after you have all the money and you're a starting QB in the NFL?  Winning the SB.  

I get what you’re saying, and for some guys winning becomes the prize.  I think it’s admirable, I’m just not one to question another man’s motives when it comes to how he runs his business. Not saying you are either.  

I respect Kirk and most athletes for becoming that .01% by putting their bodies’ on the line and tend to give them leeway.  Especially considering I’m sitting around today with a hot rice sock on my lower back!  I want what I’ve worked hard for, period!  No more shorts!

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

LOL. Putting the combine into perspective (from a Raiders article)

'When I told @Raiders GM Tom Telesco I was staying at the combine through Saturday to watch the QB's workout, he said: "Just watch their game tape."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

LOL. Putting the combine into perspective (from a Raiders article)

'When I told @Raiders GM Tom Telesco I was staying at the combine through Saturday to watch the QB's workout, he said: "Just watch their game tape."

Says the guys who drafted Jarmarcus Russell. 😆 

• Haha 1