Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Yep gonna start seeing some more hype for JD5 at 1 from here on out. Bet he is interviewing extremely well. Caleb on the other hand…:lol: 

just let us get maye or jd5 please 

Peter Schrager says here "He's been interviewing with a bunch of teams and the feedback I've heard is he's been lights out in the interview room. Great kid, football smart."

5 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

I wonder if the front office will actually allow this to factor into their decision.  One QB is electric and fun to watch while the other is a bit more stiff and boring. 

As a team looking to revitalize fanbase interest after years of putrid play at the QB position, I think it actually is a legitimate factor to consider when making the decision.  Man, I hope we take Daniels.  It would make the games on Sundays a lot more fun for Commanders fans to watch than if we took Maye.

This stuff is still so weird to me. The idea that Maye is "boring" and "stiff". As has been said by many, any one of the three top three guys would pretty much absolutely be #1 picks in other drafts and would be seen as dynamic and electric.

Have you watched Maye play at all? Seen how often he had to bail from the pocket and will make big throws on the run, off platform, or picking up a bunch of yards with his legs? In any other class where there wasn't more of a running QB like Daniels, a guy like Maye would be seen as a top notch dual threat QB. He ran for 1200 yards and 16 TDs over his two seasons.

If anything, Maye is more aggressive than Daniels in general. He makes more tight window throws, pushes the ball down the deep middle more. He trusts his arm a ton (which can actually be a negative in some instances).

I guess it depends on your definition of "electric". If to you it means "a guy who runs a bunch as soon as he breaks the pocket" then yes Daniels is your guy. If it means "a guy who tends to make off schedule plays with his arm once he breaks the pocket" then it's probably Maye.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I could see the cards and raiders putting together an insane package to move up to 2. Gonna be a wild next month and a half. 

Cards are sticking with Murray and will draft Harrison or Nabers at 4.

Just now, mistertim said:

This stuff is still so weird to me. The idea that Maye is "boring" and "stiff". As has been said by many, any one of the three top three guys would pretty much absolutely be #1 picks in other drafts and would be seen as dynamic and electric.

Have you watched Maye play at all? Seen how often he had to bail from the pocket and will make big throws on the run, off platform, or picking up a bunch of yards with his legs? In any other class where there wasn't more of a running QB like Daniels, a guy like Maye would be seen as a top notch dual threat QB. He ran for 1200 yards and 16 TDs over his two seasons.

If anything, Maye is more aggressive than Daniel in general. He makes more tight window throws, pushes the ball down the deep middle more. He trusts his arm a ton (which can actually be a negative in some instances).

I guess it depends on your definition of "electric". If to you it means "a guy who runs a bunch as soon as he breaks the pocket" then yes Daniels is your guy. If it means "a guy who tends to make off schedule plays with his arm once he breaks the pocket" then it's probably Maye.

Yeah I dont get it either. Maye is far from boring. Hes got a lotta Josh Allen and Big Ben to him.

And ultimately if hes productive and wins, nobody cares.

• Like 2

Some excerpts:

One longtime evaluator stressed that while the assessment of Williams’ talent must be centered around projections of how he will perform on Sundays in the NFL, a big component of his character review will force teams to forecast how he will react on Mondays, how he plans to manage his time on Tuesdays and how he is equipped to reset for Wednesdays. That’s a huge part of life as an NFL quarterback that almost no one in the general public truly understands.

Williams must quickly establish a productive routine, one that helps him juggle his football responsibilities with off-the-field opportunities.

One AFC executive hopes Williams grasps the time commitment, stamina and focus required to play quarterback in the NFL at even a middle-tier level and made an extreme suggestion that the quarterback steer away from all endorsements and commercial opportunities through his rookie year.

“Honestly, I need to know what this guy’s agenda is,” another source said. “I want to feel like he is most concerned with getting in the building to get better while letting that (outside opportunity) come to him in Year 2 and Year 3.

“At that position? With how much everyone has invested? I need this kid to be football first, personal brand second. I have to feel that out.”

That won’t be easy for a new-age prospect such as Williams, who already has done big-brand commercials and made a healthy amount of money with endorsements during college.

Still, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager and Sirius XM analyst Mark Dominik said, “You’ve got to make sure there’s a true leader in there. And that your locker room is going to want to follow him because of what he can do. You want to have belief that his teammates will have that confidence in him and will end up playing better because he is going to raise their game as well. That is what you are really looking for.”

There has been a push for many in the league to determine who all is in Williams’ inner circle and how influential they are and will continue to be.

Who is giving him advice? Who is guiding his decisions? Who might try to steer his career in myriad ways?

On that front, Williams’ dad, Carl Williams, has been the source of much chatter in recent months — and particularly so this week at the combine. Inside league circles, the elder Williams has been described as “detailed,” “heavily involved,” “calculated,” and “a lot.”

One source said Carl “is probably very well-intentioned as a good father should be” but then went on to express concern on how the younger Williams likely will have to manage his dad’s involvement as his career advances.

Said another longtime talent evaluator: “It’s a bit messy. It is. Like, my sense is that this kid really likes football. He’s a good kid. It’s just that his dad really doesn’t know how the process works and has been shooting the moon with things he’s asking about and asking for.”

Understandably, Carl Williams steered his son’s college recruitment and then two years ago oversaw Caleb’s venture into the NCAA transfer portal. NFL teams remain focused on learning how involved Carl plans to remain with all the different layers in his son’s pro career and just how hellbent the Williamses might be to buck the system as it relates to their perceived efforts to alter things such as player contract structures and union involvement in an attempt to reshape the system.

Last week, when the NFL Players Association released its log of player representation for this year’s draft prospects, Caleb was notably absent, currently without an NFLPA-certified agent to help him navigate this next phase of his advancement. Even here at the combine, teams continue working to figure out who Williams’ point people are and will be and what their primary motivations seem to be with the quarterback assembling a team of advisers.

Added one GM whose team isn’t in the market for a quarterback: “That’s going to be the biggest issue for whoever takes him. It’s all this extracurricular stuff. I’d definitely want to figure that part out first and foremost. Like, he can do everything as a player. Well now let’s get into eliminating distractions off the field. Because there’s a saying I believe in: You have to prevent yourself from losing before you can ever win anything. And that’s about eliminating all the bull(crap). This position is hard enough.”

Of note to one league source, Williams took his offensive line to the 2022 Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York, a gesture described as genuinely unselfish. Another source noted how seamlessly Williams took over for Spencer Rattler in the sixth game of his freshman season at Oklahoma and how quickly he acclimated a year later after transferring to USC.

Those should be helpful experiences for Williams to draw on as he transitions to his first NFL team.

Simmons describes Williams as a “natural leader” whose voice will resonate inside the locker room.

“He galvanizes your team,” Simmons said. “Guys want to play for him. We saw that.”

As teams have done their background work on Williams, Simmons has been happy to lend his perspective.

“For me,” he said, “the biggest misconception that floats around is that Caleb is some sort of elitist, spoiled, selfish kid. He is the farthest from that. That kid is grounded. He is all about team and he is all about winning.”

Endorsements like that will carry weight.

On Tuesday, Houston Texans coach DeMeco Ryans said his team’s attraction to quarterback C.J. Stroud last year spiked, in part, because of all the glowing reviews Stroud’s Ohio State teammates provided.

“I remember being here at the combine last year,” Ryans said, “and every Ohio State player who sat in our room spoke highly of C.J. and the type of leader he was and what he meant to them with the things he did to help them.

“You can’t hide. Your true character always shows.”

Before Ryans made that revelation, an executive from another team expressed surprise at how muted the praise for Williams had been from USC players during private meetings on the all-star-game circuit this winter.

“That’s a bit of a red flag when he’s this good of a player,” the executive said. “You just don’t get that confidence that he is an undisputed leader. You walk away with questions like, ‘Is he going to be the guy in the locker room that guys like, that guys follow?’ You want your quarterback to be the one everyone in the room is following and looking up to. With Caleb specifically, can he be that guy? I honestly don’t know.”

Inside league circles, Williams has been described as having a bit of an introverted personality that can make it hard for others to connect. He also has certain personality eccentricities, the executive said, that, at a minimum, will have to be acknowledged and managed.

“He’s not just your normal grind, work-hard, guy’s-guy quarterback,” the exec said. “He’s very different than that. And that’s OK. But you at least better be aware of that.”

That executive wouldn’t put a “high maintenance” warning on Williams but did deduce that the quarterback has been “coddled” throughout his high school and college years and has been able to “live the high life for a while now.”

“You’ll have to humble him, really,” the executive said. “It’s ‘Yeah, you’re going to be the guy. But you have to do all the (crap) the other rookies have to do. You have to work your ass off. You have to be on time to everything. You have to stay late watching film.’ Can Caleb do that? I don’t know. But those things affect the building.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a quick reminder that those who neglect to learn the lessons of history are doomed to make the same mistake again.

Remember Heath Schuler selected round 1 pick 3 of the NFL draft was a complete bust.  Its great if our front office makes

the right pick but if they don't then we have lost most likely several picks that we could have had if we traded down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

Oh for ****s sake. Get back on a plane to Ashburn and start working on a plan to not be ranked 32nd in the league by players.

This **** goes both ways. If I’m a kid about to get drafted what is it about the Commanders that makes me want to play for you? Because right now I’d rather play for 31 other franchises based on your employee reviews. 

? That poll was done in October, nothing could really have changed by then. Harris would be the best person to look someone in the eyes and talk about what they’re doing to improve and wash away the stink and cheapness of previous ownership, if anything. He’s sold his vision to everyone currently working for him that we’re excited about, Peters the first among them in terms of football talent. 

You don’t think the guy who owns the team wants to see what his future franchise QB is like at this stage? It’s a potential billion dollar decision. Harris isn’t gonna have a football opinion to offer, that’s not even how he operates. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder what this means?  Appointment?  I don't think they are referencing his pro day because they would just say pro day.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39615348/2024-nfl-draft-combine-workouts-preview-top-prospects-predictions

Which quarterback will everyone be talking about after Saturday night?

Yates: I'll go with Drake Maye. While he had an uneven final season at North Carolina relative to his 2022 campaign, there's little doubt that the man can drive the football with time and space. Maye has effortless arm strength to all levels and should showcase that in his appointment-viewing workout; he completed 35 passes thrown at least 20 yards downfield last season, third in the FBS. Maye also has very good speed and strength, which should set him up for a massive weekend in various testing drills, if he participates.

Appointment-viewing is a just a phrase meaning it’s worth setting aside time for/attending. Like The Sopranos was “appointment-viewing” when it was airing. Just referring to his highly anticipated pro day with colorful language imo

• Like 1

I really don't get why so many people are getting their knickers in a bunch over Harris being at the combine. It doesn't suddenly mean that he's making the decisions. We know DQ has said most of that will be on GMAP. And Harris has a well known history of getting great people in place and letting them make the specific sports decisions as long as it fits with the overall vision of how they want to build a team.

The most likely reason is much more innocuous: that he's a first time NFL owner and is trying to learn and see what's involved in the whole process.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

It sounds like his dad is probably going to **** and moan about money. **** and moan about playing time. **** and moan about the system not being right. And on and on. It's going to be nothing but a distraction, and probably won't end well.

His dad will be nowhere near the locker room or a coaches ear. He can **** and moan all he wants. It is a non issue. 

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

His methods made his son the first player to make over 10 million dollar in NIL deals.

This cant be overlooked as far as bust potential looks. It had always been that you worried how a kid would handle becoming an instant millionaire once drafted. Now the top guys are all millionaires before they are even drafted. Probably the only good thing about NIL.

• Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get everyone has PTSD, but chill the eff out.

I’d be more alarmed if the guy who just spent $6B on a franchise for a sport he’s never delved in didn’t attend the combine or QB interviews.

Hey man you can't have that name and be chill about this.  Straight up false advertising. :P

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

His dad will be nowhere near the locker room or a coaches ear. He can **** and moan all he wants. It is a non issue. 

I feel like this is head in the sand thinking. Caleb's dad has basically had tight control over every single thing involved in his son's development and career since he was a little kid. Do you really think a dude like that will suddenly be content with being relegated to the sidelines and not being involved like that anymore? Yeah right. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Well, looks like we found our new topic of debate for today. 

I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal, but I’m sure there are those who will draw certain conclusions from this.

I disagree. It is a big deal. We just finally booted an owner who knew jack **** about football and still influenced a QB draft pick. Harris falling in love with one of the guys because of an interview is nothing but bad. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree. It is a big deal. We just finally booted an owner who knew jack **** about football and still influenced a QB draft pick. Harris falling in love with one of the guys because of an interview is nothing but bad. 

What part of Harris's past indicates that he operates in this way? Literally nothing. It's been the opposite. He's known for getting top people in place to make those decisions and letting them do it, while he sets the strategic vision of the franchise.

Did he suddenly wake up one day and now that he's an NFL owner decide that he's going to completely change his M.O. and decide who they pick and override the people he brought in specifically for that purpose?

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Exactly. I just read about this and decided to come in to see who likes it, who is going to rationalize it, and who is going to dislike it. It is ridiculous. I mean let the "football" folks do the deciding and you write the checks, and hopefully are rewarded down the road.  I do not want our owner involved in player decisions. He can meet them after the draft.  

• Like 2

I love that JJ is throwing at the combine. Everyone is already projecting him as a first rounder. He must have enough confidence in his ability that he could possibly jump the others ahead of him by throwing well. 

45 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Peter Schrager says here "He's been interviewing with a bunch of teams and the feedback I've heard is he's been lights out in the interview room. Great kid, football smart."

Yeah. I dont see interviews being a limiting factor for Daniels at all. All three of these guys are hard workers with high football IQ. I have come around to being fine if Daniels ends up the choice. I would want a very competent backup with similar traits though. Like the Ravens.  

Just now, mac8887 said:

I love that JJ is throwing at the combine. Everyone is already projecting him as a first rounder. He must have enough confidence in his ability that he could possibly jump the others ahead of him by throwing well. 

I think it's more likely that he knows he has a lot to potentially lose and/or gain by throwing. The top 3 guys pretty much know where they're going. McCarthy is a bit of a wildcard and could elevate his stock from a mid 1st round pick to a top 10 or even top 5 pick if he throws well, etc. Especially since there are questions about whether he can take over a game with his arm and how good his arm strength is.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think with Harris being there he just wants to convey a message that the team is all in from top to bottom. Sort of a family vibe. It is harmless IMO.

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I feel like this is head in the sand thinking. Caleb's dad has basically had tight control over every single thing involved in his son's development and career since he was a little kid. Do you really think a dude like that will suddenly be content with being relegated to the sidelines and not being involved like that anymore? Yeah right. 

There are no worse sports dads than high school football sports dads. And they like all dads are a non issue in the locker room or on the field. Let him ****. It only makes him look like an idiot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

There are no worse sports dads than high school football sports dads. And they like all dads are a non issue in the locker room or on the field. Let him ****. It only makes him look like an idiot.

They just edge out Hockey Moms in that regard. LOL

• Haha 1