Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I've been doing a lot more research on Drake Maye. Not looking at film but watching interviews and stuff. He seems like a likeable, smart, good kid. 

I think for Drake Maye a bit of whats happening as far as the draft is there just isn't a lot of information out there about his recent season unless I am missing something? 

What I mean by that is articles or interviews on what he feels he needs to work on, what he atrributes his down year to, what his coaches say about what happened, etc. I read before the season that he was working really hard on his footwork.

https://northcarolina.rivals.com/news/maye-satisfied-with-footwork-improvement

But I haven't seen too much post-season analysis (also I had no idea that Mack Brown basically let him pick the OC in Lindsey or at least let him have a huge part in picking him).

Edited by ThatNFLChick

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I think for Drake Maye a bit of whats happening as far as the draft is there just isn't a lot of information out there about his recent season unless I am missing something? 

Football schools

Its not hard to find videos that showcase a production crew filming Jayden at a various points throughout the season. We learn more about him and are exposed to his life. It comes w/ the territory of playing at a place like LSU.

Drake went to UNC. Not quite the same coverage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Football schools

Its not hard to find videos that showcase a production crew filming Jayden at a various points throughout the season. We learn more about him and are exposed to his life. It comes w/ the territory of playing at a place like LSU.

Yeah, thats a huge part or it. 

That's why I think the interviews will be important especially for us. 

I do think also though that Maye is being penalized significantly more for a down year than Williams is. 

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I do think also though that Maye is being penalized significantly more for a down year than Williams is. 

It might be because Williams has basically been anointed as a generational talent and #1 overall pick for a few years now so not much is going to change that outside of a really horrendous season or something huge happening off the field. Though, to be fair, Maye has also been seen as a likely top 5 pick since last season too.

• Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Football schools

True, and I haven't really seen interviews of Caleb in the post-season, and SC is a football school and happens to be in LA.  However, Jaylen won the Heisman this year, which doesn't hurt. I think JJ has gotten the benefit of the most buzz after the season, but I can't say I've seen interviews with him. 

disclamer: these comments are not to suggest Daniels is better than another QB   

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It might be because Williams has basically been anointed as a generational talent and #1 overall pick for a few years now so not much is going to change that outside of a really horrendous season or something huge happening off the field. Though, to be fair, Maye has also been seen as a likely top 5 pick since last season too.

Maye may have been on the shortlist last year but he hasn't received the generational label that Caleb has. Although more people are criticizing him as of late, and a lot of folks are citing character concerns over small things(how he dresses, etc). 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Drake went to UNC. Not quite the same coverage

Yep.

The ACC is known as a basketball conference. Not really a football one.

They won't get the same football coverage like the SEC or the BIG 10.

Edited by SkinsGuy

5 hours ago, redskinss said:

I've tried Several times to watch this guy's videos but I just can't.

I watched 15 minutes of this one and gave up.

He rambles and rambles and rambles, 

There was about 2 minutes worth of content in that video stretched out to 34.

Yes, I have trouble also with that.  Debated putting it on but figured if people didn't like it they could just not watch it.  

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I somehow saw it when it came out.  I was 13, it came out in 1989. It left an impression, and not a good one. I remember the drug lord catching his girl friend having an affair, flogging her, tells his goons to give his girlfriend her lovers heart (so they cut out his heart), and I think James Bond parachutes into a wedding. 

If I’d seen it 10 years later, probably forgettable.  As a 13 year old, parts of it are ingrained on my memory.  Sadly. 

Wasn't it '88? At least the first one. The thing that blew me away was his performance in Penny Dreadful. Good Lord was he good in that, and I never saw it coming because I thought he was such an awful Bond (sounds like we're close to the same age, I turned 13 in December of '87). In Penny Dreadful he was flat out spectacular. 

• Like 2

Kurt Benkert just finished his Drake Maye evaluation (I assume he will post a video breakdown of a game like he did for Williams and Daniels)

"He’s a more athletic Mason Rudolph with less arm Talent (and a lot less accuracy).

He has a lot of backyard football in his game but doesn’t have the athletic upside that I think it requires to live in that world as often as he does.

He’s super raw with his footwork and pocket presence. His ball placement needs serious improvement. Defensive recognition struggles a bit (but I don’t know what he’s being coached to do so it can’t be all on him).

However - dude will stand in there and take a hit while delivering across the middle. He’s a 3rd down threat as a runner which is a checked box in the NFL.

All in all, I see the potential upside, but he’s got a ways to go to reach it. He also needs to be in a good situation with a good coach & probably a quarterback in front of him to mentor him to get him caught up to speed.

Ideally - he ends up in a Jordan Love situation. Sits for a few years, cleans his game up learns behind-the-scenes then gets his chance.

If he goes to a bad team early in round 1 and is forced to play.. that may be all she wrote."

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

“A while ago”? Fields ran in 2021.  2022 doesn’t really count. 

You would think a QB whose main attribute that sets him apart from the other prospects is his ability as a runner would want to showcase that trait, similar to what other athletic “freaks” have done. Kind of interesting to me that Daniels is bowing out of that. 

That’s fine for individual teams who are there clocking it I guess. But I personally will never trust a pro day 40 time. 

Player Profiler has basically found that tagging pro day 40 times is damn near a perfect match with a .05+ adjustment. I've been following their combine vs Pro Day forties for seven years and it is actually pretty reliable. When it comes to 40's, on average, give the runner a +.05 and NEVER take that 40 as the real one. The timing standards are not uniform, are often clocked, not laser timed, and track conditions often are set to benefit the prospects. Put a .05 on any 40 you see on a Pro Day and you're very close to what their combine 40 would've been, far closer than their pro day 40 anyway. 

I'll cosign on the idea that skipping the combine is stupid. It can't hurt him. There's no way Caleb or Drake are gonna run close to his 40. He's fine, and if he blows the doors off, you can get a crazy John Ross caliber effect. Daniels doesn't have as high to climb as Ross, but if he's an absurd freak of an athlete, does it push Chicago and Washington a little more to open their eyes to him? Absolutely. Passing on that for a bogus controlled pro day is silly and stupid. But in fairness, if you can't be helped, only hurt, it can make sense to skip it, particularly if you're carrying an injury or hiding something (Kyren Williams never should have been allowed to participate for instance). 

Draft day can't get here quick enough to put the QB we draft to sleep!  Everyone posts their positive and negative NFL analyst writeups, video, podcasts etc. on their guy.  It is a forum but again, draft day can't get here soon enough!  Then we can come out, hopefully with good comments about the QB we drafted.  :) Right now, it's a battlefield.  :bye:

• Thumb up 2

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

This is his explanation 

I went to go check him out after reading that.  I even saw where he tried to say that it’s not a knock, that Rudolph came out in a big QB draft or whatever.  Fact of the matter is Rudolph stinks and when you comp a consensus top 3 pick as less than Rudolph, you lack seriousness and appear hungry for attention.

…and I have my own reservations about Maye, and really every QB in this draft.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Had to stop reading right there. Because that is garbage imo.

Reading through a bunch of his other tweets I get the feeling that he might be a guy in search of clicks because he tends towards the more sensationalism side of things. He's basically been in the tank for Daniels for a while and talks about Daniels in glowing terms and others in very negative ones. He's not especially even keeled so I take whatever he says with several large grains of salt.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Reading through a bunch of his other tweets I get the feeling that he might be a guy in search of clicks because he tends towards the more sensationalism side of things. He's basically been in the tank for Daniels for a while and talks about Daniels in glowing terms and others in very negative ones. He's not especially even keeled so I take whatever he says with several large grains of salt.

Even nflchick has got to realize how stupid that comp is.

A more athletic but lesser arm talent and far less accuracy mason rudolph is probably an undrafted free agent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 4

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Even nflchick has got to realize how stupid that comp is.

A more athletic but lesser arm talent and far less accuracy mason rudolph is probably an undrafted free agent.

I posted without comment but no I did not agree with the comp based on Rudolph of the Steelers. I also didn't ever study or look at Mason Rudolph's college tape so I have no idea what kind of prospect he was or what he was seen as coming out. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

41 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Draft day can't get here quick enough to put the QB we draft to sleep!  Everyone posts their positive and negative NFL analyst writeups, video, podcasts etc. on their guy.  It is a forum but again, draft day can't get here soon enough!  Then we can come out, hopefully with good comments about the QB we drafted.  :) Right now, it's a battlefield.  :bye:

Exactly totally agree too… nothing against it but the annoying thing is the X (Twitter) posts ppl share to try to prove their point… I love opinions and welcome them no doubt, but the trying to get a point across by using another opinion is taking it too far… 

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He likes Williams but feels like he shouldn't start right away and has things to clean up

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I posted without comment but no I did not agree with the comp based on Rudolph of the Steelers. I also didn't ever study or look at Mason Rudolph'd college tape so I have no idea what kind of prospect he was or what he was seen as coming out. 

Neither did I but you don't have to have evaluated his tape to know that a 3rd round pick who went right where he was expected to go shouldn't be comped to a guy who's universally predicted to go top 3, and certainly shouldn't infer that he's worse in 2 out of 3 categories both being the more important of the two.

• Thanks 1