Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Decent speed? I still have nightmares about Daniel Jones burning us multiple times for 50 plus yard runs. Even our defensive backs struggling to catch up to him. Looking like the white Usain Bolt! 

4.81 so nothing crazy.  He's more vision, decisiveness than speed.   He has long legs so the 4.81 is more dangerous when he has some daylight because he comes off with more long speed.

Drake Maye apparenty according to some is in the 4.6's so if so he's faster than Daniel.  But his running style reminds me of Daniel.  He's decisive has good vision, quick first step and then he's off to the races.

19 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Assuming Williams goes #1 overall, the only QB that I would be excited for is Maye.  Daniels gives me Kenny Pickett vibes.  And I don't mean similar playing style.  Meh numbers until one season with crazy stats.  

Jayden reached a peak for sure last season.    I don't know about meh numbers before.   The season before he had close to a 6:1 TD-INT ratio.  69% completion percentage. Just short of 3000 yards.   Rushed for almost 900 yards.  

Pickett never had a good year until his last year.  Heck with Daniels even his freshman year (17 TDs -- 2 picks, just short of 3000 yards) was better than anything Pickett ever did until his last season.

But I do agree Daniels was a later bloomer.  But the difference is Daniels superweapon -- his mobility was present his whole career.  And as to his stats it elevated from good to great.  Pickett elevated from "meh" to great.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Maye is my favorite prospect of the three big ones… he’s by far the safest.

But I don’t think you go safe in the top 3.

So if I had my choice at who fell to us I’d take Daniels.

His bust potential is through the roof. But if he hits… he’s the X factor. 

I keep watching Williams games and even highlights to try to like him more. I just… don’t.

What are you seeing with williams that makes you not like him as much? I don't like that he is short, but the reason I'm against shorter qbs is 1: They have a harder time seeing the field. Lineman are huge on both sides of the ball and obscure shorter qbs vision, and 2: Shorter qbs have a tendency to break the pocket around the tackles instead of stepping up and taking off through the middle if nobody is open. With williams though he seems fine stepping up in the pocket given his short stature and only seems to get flushed out to the outsides if he is being pursued. Hurtz is another shorter qb that does well stepping up in the pocket, where as Russell and Sam tend to bail out instead as does mahomes. The thing is, when caleb is flushed from the pocket he makes some throws that leave your jaw dropped thinking how did he just do that at an amazing rate looking like mahomes or a better comparison would be a young Russell Wilson. I'm with you though, before I really dove into watching all of them maye was my favorite just for the fact he seems to have every tool in his bag of traits, meaning there isn't anything physical he is missing, a coaches wet dream and seems most likely not to bust, but mitch trubisky had all the traits to, but from what I've heard about him is that he is not the brightest guy, and qb is still 85-95% mental. It's hard to be a good dumb qb. I still think I like maye the most, but you hardly ever hear of a qb that is the consensus 1st overall pick 2 years in a row, and in daniels case there has only really been 3 others that were as athleticly gifted as him with his legs, rg3, Lamar, and Mike Vick. 2 of those are perennial probowlers and the other had probably the best rookie season of and qb and it was an injury, owner, and bad attitude that limited his coaches in what they could do that derailed his career. It sure is an exciting time to have a top 3 pick, I just hope that this lameduck we have coaching doesn't blow it for us. I've got a feeling that if we lose to the 49ers, as long as Jacoby doesn't light the world on fire then we might see Fromm against the cowboys at least for a half.

8 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Lazy take. I’m shocked. 😆

How about this then. If your an OC and like to have a backup that can compliment the starter then this is good. They are similar in some aspect so your play calling or game plan doesn't have to be too different if Howell has to come in. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

What are you seeing with williams that makes you not like him as much? I don't like that he is short, but the reason I'm against shorter qbs is 1: They have a harder time seeing the field. Lineman are huge on both sides of the ball and obscure shorter qbs vision, and 2: Shorter qbs have a tendency to break the pocket around the tackles instead of stepping up and taking off through the middle if nobody is open. With williams though he seems fine stepping up in the pocket given his short stature and only seems to get flushed out to the outsides if he is being pursued. Hurtz is another shorter qb that does well stepping up in the pocket, where as Russell and Sam tend to bail out instead as does mahomes. The thing is, when caleb is flushed from the pocket he makes some throws that leave your jaw dropped thinking how did he just do that at an amazing rate looking like mahomes or a better comparison would be a young Russell Wilson. I'm with you though, before I really dove into watching all of them maye was my favorite just for the fact he seems to have every tool in his bag of traits, meaning there isn't anything physical he is missing, a coaches wet dream and seems most likely not to bust, but mitch trubisky had all the traits to, but from what I've heard about him is that he is not the brightest guy, and qb is still 85-95% mental. It's hard to be a good dumb qb. I still think I like maye the most, but you hardly ever hear of a qb that is the consensus 1st overall pick 2 years in a row, and in daniels case there has only really been 3 others that were as athleticly gifted as him with his legs, rg3, Lamar, and Mike Vick. 2 of those are perennial probowlers and the other had probably the best rookie season of and qb and it was an injury, owner, and bad attitude that limited his coaches in what they could do that derailed his career. It sure is an exciting time to have a top 3 pick, I just hope that this lameduck we have coaching doesn't blow it for us. I've got a feeling that if we lose to the 49ers, as long as Jacoby doesn't light the world on fire then we might see Fromm against the cowboys at least for a half.

TIP: Do NOT do wall of text please. It is so hard to read. Use the enter key to place spaces after a few sentence. Thx!

As for Williams making jaw dropping throws outside of the pocket so did Sam. Sam actually led the league in low probability throws. Like the on in the Pats game where he jumps in the air after running to his right but throwing across his body to the left. You mention Williams stepping into the pocket. How many games did you see where Sam had a clean pocket to throw from? A few times he did the WR were covered. Fielding a better OL is a priority in the offseason first.  Also Williams is a diva and a me first guy. Pass. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, zCommander said:

TIP: Do NOT do wall of text please. It is so hard to read. Use the enter key to place spaces after a few sentence. Thx!

As for Williams making jaw dropping throws outside of the pocket so did Sam. Sam actually led the league in low probability throws. Like the on in the Pats game where he jumps in the air after running to his right but throwing across his body to the left. You mention Williams stepping into the pocket. How many games did you see where Sam had a clean pocket to throw from? A few times he did the WR were covered. Fielding a better OL is a priority in the offseason first.  Also Williams is a diva and a me first guy. Pass. 

Sam did make good throws on the run early on, some great ones actually. But you have to admit Sam bails from clean pockets all the time, it's been happening all year but started getting really bad vs the patriots and now he's ducking his head bracing to get hit with nobody around him.

The big difference is caleb does it when he has to. One of sams biggest draft knocks was he held the ball to long and bailed from clean pockets.

I'll give Sam credit, he is a heck of a backyard baller, the dude can make throws on the move like nobody's business, but recently he's even faltered with that, throwing across his body into double and triple coverage inaccurately.

But to try to compare the two coming out of college or even now is disingenuous.

Thanks for the tip

38 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Williams has a great arm and an absolutely fantastic ability to make off platform throws. That eases the burden of him being a shorter QB prospect, but doesn’t erase it. 

I think he’s another guy who holds the ball too long at times and he relies a lot on the short and intermediate passing game to move the chains. And throws to a lot of wide open pass catchers. I also dislike that he neglects his backs. Lloyd is one of their best playmakers and a good receiver but only has 13 receptions. 

He’s athletic and smooth with the ball. At times he’s way over cautious with the ball and doesn’t take the same risks that Maye takes. A lot of those are good decisions. A lot are not. 

His average time to throw was 3.2 seconds through his college career. He’s got a great release and I think his absolute best trait is that when things go sour he makes stuff happen.

I hate how he runs with the ball in one hand and consistently forgets his footwork mechanics. People keep saying he’s Pat Mahomes but I don’t see that. At all. 

The only reason to say that is his off platform plays. Which are ridiculous and his biggest plus in my opinion. He’s ridiculous in that way. Absolutely absurd.

I also like how he is constantly looking for an opening to take a shot. 

He stinks versus the blitz. This brings major concerns to me. A 3.2 second time to throw and trouble against the blitz. Watch Notre Dame. They rush him to keep him in the pocket and speed his clock. 

His set up is a bit deep with his drop. 

He also passes on easy yards on open concepts while looking for the deep shot. He loses a lot of yards when he gets sacked, too.

I’m actually surprised so many folks like him that ding Howell.

Williams is definitely more talented than Howell but his weak points are pretty similar to Howell’s. It’s just the positives are tremendous. I can’t stress enough his much I love his off platform ability… but he doesn’t really throw anyone open he throws to open receivers so I’m not sure how well he reads the field.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Williams has a great arm and an absolutely fantastic ability to make off platform throws. That eases the burden of him being a shorter QB prospect, but doesn’t erase it. 

I think he’s another guy who holds the ball too long at times and he relies a lot on the short and intermediate passing game to move the chains. And throws to a lot of wide open pass catchers. I also dislike that he neglects his backs. Lloyd is one of their best playmakers and a good receiver but only has 13 receptions. 

He’s athletic and smooth with the ball. At times he’s way over cautious with the ball and doesn’t take the same risks that Maye takes. A lot of those are good decisions. A lot are not. 

His average time to throw was 3.2 seconds through his college career. He’s got a great release and I think his absolute best trait is that when things go sour he makes stuff happen.

I hate how he runs with the ball in one hand and consistently forgets his footwork mechanics. People keep saying he’s Pat Mahomes but I don’t see that. At all. 

The only reason to say that is his off platform plays. Which are ridiculous and his biggest plus in my opinion. He’s ridiculous in that way. Absolutely absurd.

I also like how he is constantly looking for an opening to take a shot. 

He stinks versus the blitz. This brings major concerns to me. A 3.2 second time to throw and trouble against the blitz. Watch Notre Dame. They rush him to keep him in the pocket and speed his clock. 

His set up is a bit deep with his drop. 

He also passes on easy yards on open concepts while looking for the deep shot. He loses a lot of yards when he gets sacked, too.

I’m actually surprised so many folks like him that ding Howell.

Williams is definitely more talented than Howell but his weak points are pretty similar to Howell’s. It’s just the positives are tremendous. I can’t stress enough his much I love his off platform ability… but he doesn’t really throw anyone open he throws to open receivers so I’m not sure how well he reads the field.

I agree 100%. Well said!!! He does carry a lot of the negative traits howell has. He definitely is faster, and more elusive than howell, and more accurate, especially intermediate to deep. Similar arm strength, both can make all the throws.

His height alone puts him at the bottom of the top 3 for me, and I imagine just like Sam, their height contributes to them holding the ball to long. They just can't see the middle of the field until the receivers get deep in their routes. Its probably why both don't try to thread the needle and instead wait til they see someone with a couple yards seperation, they just can't see it.

All this Caleb talk is compelling me to sit down and watch full games.  I'd just watched him primarily when watching other prospects especially Llloyd this year.

I was listening to Kiper's podcast this morning.  He's hyped about all three prospects.   I take Kiper more seriously in recent years than the past because I've learned some of his takes are driven by FO conversations.

While he likes Maye, he feels that Daniels is a real threat to Caleb at the #1 spot.  That's the first I've seen someone take it that far with Daniels.  He had Yates (ESPN reporter) mentioned something that hit me too (feels obvious) that Lamar killing it this season amplifies the value of Daniels even more.

9 hours ago, zCommander said:

Yup. Maye is just a taller version of Howell. 

I thought the same thing except Howell is built like a rock with Maye tall and skinny like a basketball player that he is at 6'4". Not sure he would have taken the pounding Howell took. Not sure it works with friends playing for the same spot either. Howell was waiting for him at the sideline of the endzone to congratulate him on the TD at the end of the you tube video posted.  I think it would not be a good situation for Maye to take Howell's job or either way, team wise. But you never know? Not even sure Maye would be a upgrade at this point? If you take Daniels, Brissett needs to be resigned and Daniel's needs to sit in the beginning, Howell will need to be traded. Caleb could start right away, Howell would need to be traded and Brissett stays, not sure if you could keep both. Draft McCarthy and Howell stays, and they fight it out. Think he is underrated; sure, think he had the most pressure put on him from opposing D's and had to work harder. Caleb, Daniels and Maye were not under as much pressure and when they ran, they mostly had open fields after they left the pocket, in the NFL you will have to make a couple more DB's, miss at the line of scrimmage. The only way I see Howell here is with McCarthy,  Caleb because of his Mahomes like play in the pocket is the readiest to play right now. They all can throw it. They all need to learn how to slide, or they just did not show it and could end up possible like RG3 if they do not. Who has played baseball as a kid? I think it really helps to get the ball off from all angles, sidearm, and see the field from the side while looking down the field. Howell should be traded if they draft 1 of the top 3 and only stay with McCarthy.  So it might be a good idea to include Howell in your trades with the top 3. Just my opinions and never claim to be a Draft evaluator. If they go QB?

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

All this Caleb talk is compelling me to sit down and watch full games.  I'd just watched him primarily when watching other prospects especially Llloyd this year.

I was listening to Kiper's podcast this morning.  He's hyped about all three prospects.   I take Kiper more seriously in recent years than the past because I've learned some of his takes are driven by FO conversations.

While he likes Maye, he feels that Daniels is a real threat to Caleb at the #1 spot.  That's the first I've seen someone take it that far with Daniels.  He had Yates (ESPN reporter) mentioned something that hit me too (feels obvious) that Lamar killing it this season amplifies the value of Daniels even more.

All three are flawed. None are can’t miss generational type talents.

Having said that, there is a lot of reasons any of the three can be good or bust.

Short summary for me:

Williams: Off platform is unreal, strong arm, athletic. Breaks down versus pressure, "short", holds the ball too long, deep drop backs.

Maye: Can make all the throws, experience behind bad OLs, has great deep ball touch. He disappears against the best defenses, doesn’t handle pressure well.

Daniels: Good arm talent, the only one of the three that has an elite physical trait: his speed (though Maye being 6-4 and fast is damn close). He doesn’t read the field at all, waits too long to throw the ball on certain concepts (like hitches) and has a little bit of the “**** it I’m going deep” mentality.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Having said that, there is a lot of reasons any of the three can be good or bust.

Short summary for me:

Williams: Off platform is unreal, strong arm, athletic. Breaks down versus pressure, shirts, holds the ball too long, deep drop backs.

Maye: Can make all the throws, experience behind bad OLs, has great deep ball touch. He disappears against the best defenses, doesn’t handle pressure well.

Daniels: Good arm talent, the only one of the three that has an elite physical trait: his speed (though Maye being 6-4 and fast is damn close). He doesn’t read the field at all, waits too long to throw the ball on certain concepts (like hitches) and has a little bit of the “**** it I’m going deep” mentality.

I wish Daniels was a little more shifty in the open field. He is elusive and not as bad as rg3 in taking big hits, but he does take them. I'm not sure shiftyness is teachable but if not, whoever gets him will have to teach him to at least protect himself better

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Short summary for me:

Williams: Off platform is unreal, strong arm, athletic. Breaks down versus pressure, shirts, holds the ball too long, deep drop backs.

Daniels looks thin and could add a little weight to his frame. Lamar is built, Brissett would be a good keep if you draft him.

15 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I wish Daniels was a little more shifty in the open field. He is elusive and not as bad as rg3 in taking big hits, but he does take them. I'm not sure shiftyness is teachable but if not, whoever gets him will have to teach him to at least protect himself better

Also needs to learn to slide from what I saw and thought the same as you taking big hits with thin build.

12 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I was today years old when I realized Drake Maye is Luke Maye’s brother.

Us Tar Heels on this site (and there seem to be quite a few) have known that for quite a while.  And their dad was Mark Maye, who was the UNC quarterback in the mid-80's who lit it up and likely would have had at least some success in the NFL except for injuries.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks for this info. I already like Daniels, who have watched play a couple of times.  I like what Daniel's says when he is interviewed. He has overcome a lot of adversity and has done whatever he has had to do in an attempt to advance his career.  A good character guy with the right amount of humility and determination.

Some have the Patriots picking up Daniel's. I would love to hear more feedback on Daniel's on this board going forward.  

I had the Ravens going to the SB this year before the season even started. I like Jackson a lot.  The one factor that has hurt Lamar IMO is his inability to stay healthy. Not just injuries on the field, but physical illnesses that tend to linger. He has stayed relatively healthy this year and is having an MVP year.  And their D is only allowing something like 17 points a game max.  I think they are going to be a matchup nightmare in the playoffs.  

A big difference between Lamar and Daniels is patience.  Lamar drifts and evades behind the LoS to defeat the rush and open throwing lanes.  Jayden is 1-2 run.  When he starts moving, he loses his picture of the field and it is almost always to scramble.  Otherwise he's actually kind of a statue in the pocket.

My biggest concern about Daniels is a lack of success against pressure and NFL caliber coverage in his film.  The huge amount explosive play production he had this season came on these throws where he's in a super clean pocket forever, and he's playing pitch and catch with the best receiver trio in the country.

And I think he also lacks the spider sense for avoiding the knock out blow that Maye and Williams have.  He takes too much hard contact, and it'll catch up with him at some point.

That said, if he improves his ability to see the field while moving, and masters the skill of using his mobility to set up the pass... he could be like Lamar.  His scrambling ability is different and better than the other big time runners at the position like Anthony Richardson.  He is a genuinely creative open field runner in the way that Lamar is, not just a burner or powerful runner.  And his long speed is better than Murray's.  It can be a major weapon for his NFL offense in the same way that Lamar's is for Baltimore.  We'd be able to run a big time rushing offense with JAG backs who are pretty flawed like Baltimore has.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Us Tar Heels on this site (and there seem to be quite a few) have known that for quite a while.  And their dad was Mark Maye, who was the UNC quarterback in the mid-80's who lit it up and likely would have had at least some success in the NFL except for injuries.

Maye’s a guy I hadn’t really paid all that much attention to this season because I didn’t think there was a chance that we’d be in position to draft him. That said, let’s go Cardinals so we can move up to second.

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I KNOW you're just waiting for Thor to come out with his analysis.  Sitting on the edge of your seat checking his X every day.  :P

I have a prediction: he's going to fall in love with Daniels the way he fell in love with Malik Willis, who he was SURE the NFL got wrong because he wasn't the first QB drafted.  He was also super high on Lamar.  He thought the NFL messed up not drafted Lamar higher either.  He's somewhat right about that, though Lamar was a first round pick.  ** I don't follow him, I don't seek out information, so he might have already had something out. I'm not going to look.  

It seems like he has a type.  Some guys prefer blondes, he prefers athletic QBs with accuracy issues.  

Also, did anybody get Warren Sharp a better web-cam for Christmas?  So in his videos he's not literally saying, "ok, now we just click the button on the phone to change the view the other way..." and then taking a video of his computer monitor?  There are tons of OnlyFans content creators who would be more than willing to help him up his game in the digital media content presentation game.  Hell, he's already got the moustache for OnlyFans.  

(This post made almost entirely in jest for those who couldn't figure that out.)

Sorry, but as I discover more news emerging about Caleb Williams, the less I'd want him being the face of the franchise. 

The latest one I discovered --- he ducked out of his team's Holiday Bowl game -- not a great sign for someone who's supposed to be a team leader.  Ironically, his backup led USC to a solid win! 

I get the fact that Williams doesn't want to get injured before he declares for the draft, but his decision to skip the game doesn't say much to how he valued his teammates, the USC fans, and even the Bowl organizers who selected a 7-5 USC team, assuming Williams would be a big draw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Assuming Williams goes #1 overall, the only QB that I would be excited for is Maye.  Daniels gives me Kenny Pickett vibes.  And I don't mean similar playing style.  Meh numbers until one season with crazy stats.  

I was probably the biggest Pickett fan in here. I pounded the table for him constantly. And I still think Pickett has better mid range accuracy and reading ability than Daniels. But Daniels is just a special athlete. His legs change everything. If that is who the new staff ends up going with it will be a very different offensive system than anything Pickett would run.

7 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Sorry, but as I discover more news emerging about Caleb Williams, the less I'd want him being the face of the franchise. 

The latest one I discovered --- he ducked out of his team's Holiday Bowl game -- not a great sign for someone who's supposed to be a team leader.  Ironically, his backup led USC to a solid win! 

I get the fact that Williams doesn't want to get injured before he declares for the draft, but his decision to skip the game doesn't say much to how he valued his teammates, the USC fans, and even the Bowl organizers who selected a 7-5 USC team, assuming Williams would be a big draw.

Drake Maye appears to have skipped his bowl game, too.  But I agree that Williams appears to be a bit of a diva.

• Like 2

Adding on to my comments -- I see Drake Maye skipped his teams bowl game too.  Granted the "Duke Mayo Bowl" is not on a par with the Holiday Bowl -- but it's a bad look for Maye too.

PS:  Rex Tomb got his post out faster than I did.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

A big difference between Lamar and Daniels is patience.  Lamar drifts and evades behind the LoS to defeat the rush and open throwing lanes.  Jayden is 1-2 run.  When he starts moving, he loses his picture of the field and it is almost always to scramble.  Otherwise he's actually kind of a statue in the pocket.

My biggest concern about Daniels is a lack of success against pressure and NFL caliber coverage in his film.  The huge amount explosive play production he had this season came on these throws where he's in a super clean pocket forever, and he's playing pitch and catch with the best receiver trio in the country.

That said, if he improves his ability to see the field while moving, and masters the skill of using his mobility to set up the pass... he could be like Lamar.  His scrambling ability is different and better than the other big time runners at the position like Anthony Richardson.  He is a genuinely creative open field runner in the way that Lamar is, not just a burner or powerful runner.  And his long speed is better than Murray's.  It can be a major weapon for his NFL offense in the same way that Lamar's is for Baltimore.  We'd be able to run a big time rushing offense with JAG backs who are pretty flawed like Baltimore has.

Thanks for this information.  I have only watched him in 3 games and what I saw was a great arm and accuracy.  Ahhh but if he is impatient as you say, and he just takes off, rather than sliding up in or outside of the pocket, he is not going to do well in the NFL.

So what you are saying in the last paragraph about improving his ability to see the field while evading behind the LOS, with good coaching this could be overcome I assume?  Because right now, based upon what you wrote, about any pressure making him as hie first tendency, is simply not sustainable in this league. 

It also seems he has to put on some weight because he does not have a big enough frame. 

What you bring up about mastering the skill of using his mobility to scan the field and create time for receivers to get open is something I watched our backup Jacoby do, numerous times against the Jets, who have a decent front overall.  

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

Adding on to my comments -- I see Drake Maye skipped his teams bowl game too.  Granted the "Duke Mayo Bowl" is not on a par with the Holiday Bowl -- it's a bad look for Maye too.

Meh. Players who have declared or are thinking of declaring skipping bowl games is the norm now. I dont think anything of it at all. 

• Like 2