Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve tried to remain patient with EB because I can acknowledge he’s a first year OC, tasked with an offense with what is basically a rookie QB with a really bad OL, and a defense that is crime against football. 

This game was a referendum on him for me.  He basically got Sam killed last game against the Giants, and failed to dial up any counters to what Wink was dialing up.  While he did run it more and can’t secure the ball for his guys, situationally he pooped the bed on multiple occasions.  The drive where we had to kick the FG after &goal from the 5 was one of the worst sequences of RZ playcalling I’ve ever seen.  Following failed first down shots with 2nd and 10 delayed runs is practically his signature move.  The whole world knows it’s coming and leads to 3rd and 10 or worse nearly every time.  It’s hard to even comprehend why he keeps going back to that well again when it’s been bone dry all season long.  

Yep we ALWAYS run a shotgun draw on 2nd and 10 and it NEVER works. It always results in like 3rd and 9. 

On our first first and goal we ran the ball from like 5 yards out...with our 4th string RB. Just a myriad of bad decisions. 

And we need to stop calling deep shots to Logan Thomas and Dyami Brown. They're just dead plays. I don't mind Thomas underneath. The fumble sucked though. Dyami is completely useless. Every play we throw to him is a nothing play. Better off throwing it into the ground.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Mike Jones has said before the season started Sam isn’t the guy. Whenever he has an off game he doubles down on it.

Its fair IMO from the context that Jones is sticking to his opinion that Sam isn’t a true NFL starter. So I’ll give Jones that he’s consistently riding that he’s an unbeliever in Howell 

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep we ALWAYS run a shotgun draw on 2nd and 10 and it NEVER works. It always results in like 3rd and 9. 

On our first first and goal we ran the ball from like 5 yards out...with our 4th string RB. Just a myriad of bad decisions. 

And we need to stop calling deep shots to Logan Thomas and Dyami Brown. They're just dead plays. I don't mind Thomas underneath. The fumble sucked though. Dyami is completely useless. Every play we throw to him is a nothing play. Better off throwing it into the ground.

Dyami should stand on the sidelines next to Ron. We are better off with both of them having no affect to the game

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Mike Jones has said before the season started Sam isn’t the guy. Whenever he has an off game he doubles down on it.

Its fair IMO from the context that Jones is sticking to his opinion that Sam isn’t a true NFL starter. So I’ll give Jones that he’s consistently riding that he’s an unbeliever in Howell 

He was on the Junkies this morning explaining his takes.  First, I’ve always found him annoying even when he was hating on Dan, and that’s hard to do.  Nerdy voice with zero substance is a pet peeve of mine.  If you sound like a nerd at least have substance to what you say. 

Anyways, he was all over the place - kept comparing him to Cousins (at best), and saying you gotta want more than that and blah blah blah.  As if elite QBs grow on trees which is probably the most annoying aspect of fan and media takes regarding QBs.  

• Like 5

Rookie QBs are going to play poorly, at times, during their first year.  You have to take your lumps.  

We know that the OL sucks and most acknowledge that OL performance determines games.  Despite that, fans put the blame on Howell.  The WRs think he's capable and Leno will fight anyone he thinks has taken a cheap shot on Howell.  So what do they know that we don't?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He was on the Junkies this morning explaining his takes.  First, I’ve always found him annoying even when he was hating on Dan, and that’s hard to do.  Nerdy voice with zero substance is a pet peeve of mine.  If you sound like a nerd at least have substance to what you say. 

Anyways, he was all over the place - kept comparing him to Cousins (at best), and saying you gotta want more than that and blah blah blah.  As if elite QBs grow on trees which is probably the most annoying aspect of fan and media takes regarding QBs.  

I can kinda understand his reasoning. Why settle for good when you can get great?

Sounds good in theory, but what are the odds of hitting on great? 

Chasing unicorns can be a fool's errand.

• Like 2

Feels kinda unfair to say that Sam was "bad" yesterday. Sure, he would be the talk of football nation had he played hero and carried this sorry team on his back to victory. However, what's dude supposed to do when the dline was constantly barrelling after him? Did the interceptions stink? Of course. Nobody else seems to be stepping up (aside from BRob) to make plays besides him though.

1 minute ago, Captain James said:

Feels kinda unfair to say that Sam was "bad" yesterday. Sure, he would be the talk of football nation had he played hero and carried this sorry team on his back to victory. However, what's dude supposed to do when the dline was constantly barrelling after him? Did the interceptions stink? Of course. Nobody else seems to be stepping up (aside from BRob) to make plays besides him though.

It's not unfair to say he was bad yesterday.  He was terrible.  There were at least two other passes that should have been interceptions yesterday.  

• Haha 1

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

It's not unfair to say he was bad yesterday.  He was terrible.  There were at least two other passes that should have been interceptions yesterday.  

The bold part is where we disagree. It was far from his best game, but I guess I see his performance differently when he was at least out there trying to make plays. Saying he was terrible sounds like he played a major role in our loss, to which I would heavily disagree.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

And yet, the game came down to just two final plays.  The false start that screwed the offense out of options followed by the interception that sealed the game (and Howell isn't really to blame because he was hit while throwing). Eliminate the false start and the final analysis of Howell might have been different.  Howell would have been touted as a hero if he had gotten a TD.  Heck, he would be a hero even if got them into position for the TD and a WR dropped the pass, or a DB make a good play on the ball.   

• Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would love for Howell to not emerge from every game with 40-50 attempts.  They're asking him to do way too much.  

• Like 2

I'm still all-in on developing Howell long-term as the franchise QB. He is allowed to have bad games. Yesterday was a bad game. I still think we've seen enough of him to build around him.

But it will get really interesting if we end up with 4-5 losses and a Top 3 pick. Obv. QB are going to go 1-2. I doubt we pick in that spot. But it would be interesting nonetheless, if we have a shot at Drake Maye, what the narrative starts to become. Hell, even if we end up picking, say #5 ... and the team picking #2 wants to trade out ... and if Maye goes #1 ... I would be insanely tempted to trade up to #2 and get Caleb Williams. I know some think Maye could go ahead of Caleb. Maybe he does. But moving from #5 to #2 is much easier to do than coming in from way outside. 

Could do something similar to what the Panthers did ... #5 pick, our 2nd, and a 2025 1st to move up to take Caleb Williams ... idk. 

Would be great if Sam continues to develop this year, really cements himself as the guy, and we end up with pick #3 or #4. We would be in a good position to trade out of that spot to a team wanting the 3rd QB ... or ... drafting Marvin Harrison, Jr. I know we need OL, but that would be a tough guy to pass on if he's there. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jones can pound sand. 

• Like 1

Sam is our best chance at being competitive with a quick turnaround, give him some line help and some kind of a ****ing defense. I'm (at this point) only thinking about about drafting Maye if we get to top 3 pick and he has the "mahomes-esk" ability to lift an entire team. I haven't watched him a lot, so I have no solid opinion... I think Caleb williams has proven to be immature and way ahead of himself, no way I'm taking that risk with Howell in the building. 

12 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Sam is our best chance at being competitive with a quick turnaround, give him some line help and some kind of a ****ing defense. I'm (at this point) only thinking about about drafting Maye if we get to top 3 pick and he has the "mahomes-esk" ability to lift an entire team. I haven't watched him a lot, so I have no solid opinion... I think Caleb williams has proven to be immature and way ahead of himself, no way I'm taking that risk with Howell in the building. 

I agree. I would try and extract as much draft capital out of that pick as possible though. While Sam gives us a great chance at a quick-rebuild, I also think a new FO with the mindset of accumulating picks would be a best-case scenario. We never think beyond the current team needs. It will be nice to have someone in here who can make decisions for the long-run. And that would include, IMO, possibly trading back, drafting OL, and trying to stock up on picks in 2025 to be a fall-back to Howell not progressing in 2024 and needing to address QB in 2025. 

Sort of like a Bears situation from this year. Obv. we won't have the #1 pick, but if someone wants a QB and can come up for one and give us 2025 picks that could be high, it would need to be done. While that has put the Bears in another decision-making year with Fields ... I feel as though we'll know on Howell by the end of next season. He's either going to excel with a better OL and team around him, or he will probably have an identifiable ceiling that might give us insights into how much far he can take us and whether we need to look at QBs at the top of the 2025 draft.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

I like Howell, I am not sold on him by any extent of the imagination, but I think he should remain the starter next year. I also think he is going to finish poorly--not so much because of what kind of player he is, but none of our remaining opponents are lower than 15th in YPG vs. the pass. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I like Howell, I am not sold on him by any extent of the imagination, but I think he should remain the starter next year. I also think he is going to finish poorly--not so much because of what kind of player he is, but none of our remaining opponents are lower than 15th in YPG vs. the pass. 

Tough run coming up against top defenses. And I am not convinced as some are that Bieniemy schemes it up well for him.

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It'd be nice if we could help Howell out sometimes.

Yeah this definitely isn’t a typical manage the game for us young man situation as you grow.

Howell right now is this team. The defense isn’t helping. Coaching not really. It’s mostly on him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I fully expect it to be more 6-7-8 sack performances. Plus, I get the feeling more and more that the staff has lost this team.

I haven’t played sports at a high level, but even in youth and school sports, you could feel it when the coach was embarrassed, and just at a complete loss for how to fix things.  Unless the coach was an asshole, you really wanted to win for them.

If the head coach isn’t embarrassed and distraught about losing, there’s a real problem.  Ron doesn’t appear to care one iota about having to cross that field and shake hands with coaches who laugh at what he’s built.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I haven’t played sports at a high level, but even in youth and school sports, you could feel it when the coach was embarrassed, and just at a complete loss for how to fix things.  Unless the coach was an asshole, you really wanted to win for them.

If the head coach isn’t embarrassed and distraught about losing, there’s a real problem.  Ron doesn’t appear to care one iota about having to cross that field and shake hands with coaches who laugh at what he’s built.

He's playing out the string and waiting to be fired. He's still gonna get paid, sit out a year and play golf, and maybe get a studio job somewhere in 2025.