Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The irony of counting chickens b4 they hatch around someone who's diet is exclusively nuggies is palpable.

You are a bit late to your irony. The chicken hatched at the end of last year. Now the chic is 8 months older since then. ;)

As for the set part, Howell is the starting QB. The OL is a tad bit of a concern. I trust EB is more than competent to scheme it properly to get the most out of the OL and his QB. 

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Pickett looked good in preseason though so that is why I said maybe. Will see how he does this year. I think Howell will outshine him though. 

Pickett has some big time hype from the Pitt reporters even before camp and he apparently had a really good camp. 

I liked Howell over him before the draft.  but I didn't dislike Pickett -- he was the Qb in that draft class that seemed to be billed the most in that group for intangibles-leadership.

Howell IMO has high intangibles but he's more of a quiet-introvert by reputation.  Pickett is an extrovert-outgoing leader type.  Both work really hard.

I get the vibe that both are going to be successful.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article278897029.html

North Carolina coach Mack Brown embraces Washington Commanders quarterback Sam Howell prior to the Tar Heels’ game against South Carolina on Saturday September 2, 2023 at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. Robert Willett rwillett@newsobserver.com

RAL_06UNCUSC-SP-090223-RTW.jpg

What I’m Gods name is he doing there?  He should be at home, alone, studying the hell out of his playbook.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 5

Pickett is a baller and he was better than Howell as a prospect, but he's older and was further along.  He's playing in a loaded offense now too.  The Pittsburgh weapons are big time now, two high end RBs, a bunch of receivers including a likely star in Pickens, a good TE, and a very strong OL.  Their defense could be better than ours too.  That team looks like a potential one seed, and we don't match up with them in multiple areas.  Nobody is going to be saying Sam Howell is better than Pickett this season because they are probably going to be putting Pickett into the same tier as Herbert and Lawrence by the end of the season.  But we're also not that far away as a team.  Maybe in two years, they're putting Howell in that tier too.  Or maybe in two years we've started over and who knows what kind of track Howell is on?

Randy Mueller, ex-GM, is a big Picikett guy.  When he was lambasting Ron in the Standig podcast, he thought Ron had opportunities to fix the QB spot and find that franchise guy, and Ron skipping Pickett was his example.

I am not with @Going Commando that he's a Herbert or Lawrence caliber player.  At least I don't feel that way based on what i saw from him in college.  He didn't have that kind of arm talent.  Just average veolicty for example.  But you never know?

But he had some underrated mobility.  He was great from what I call rolling out-boots, throwing on the move.

And had a reputation as sort of being the protypical Peyton Manning extroverted-outgoing type of leadership.

And I've read his work ethic is epic.  So he certainly comes off as a dude who has a good chance.  I gather Peter Schrager had him at the top of his list for breakout players because of the hype he was hearing around the NFL. Schrager is plugged in.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Randy Mueller, ex-GM, is a big Picikett guy.  When he was lambasting Ron in the Standig podcast, he thought Ron had opportunities to fix the QB spot and find that franchise guy, and Ron skipping Pickett was his example.

I am not with @Going Commando that he's a Herbert or Lawrence caliber player.  At least I don't feel that way based on what i saw from him in college.  He didn't have that kind of arm talent.  Just average veolicty for example.  But you never know?

But he had some underrated mobility.  He was great from what I call rolling out-boots, throwing on the move.

And had a reputation as sort of being the protypical Peyton Manning extroverted-outgoing type of leadership.

And I've read his work ethic is epic.  So he certainly comes off as a dude who has a good chance.  I gather Peter Schrager had him at the top of his list for breakout players because of the hype he was hearing around the NFL. Schrager is plugged in.

Thats after timing, we went with Wentz before the draft because at 16 you wouldn't know where the draft would fall, Pickett was/is far from a slam dunk & you wouldnt want to be trading up to get him. Just sitting there & hoping he fells with no plan B isn't much of a plan.

Randy Meuller had Bailey Zappe as his 2nd best QB & didn't have Howell in his top 5 in that draft. 

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He doesn't have their power, but I do think he has their arm talent to stick off platform, off script throws.  The kind of raw throwing power that Herbert and Lawrence have is breathtaking, but overrated.  As long as you have enough power, then it's more about touch and flexibility and dynamism.  Accuracy is also a lot more important, and Pickett is very accurate.

He definitely doesn't have their running power either, but gets similar results via craftiness and creativity and agility, as well as Busch league stuff like fake sliding.

Pickett has competitive swagger that is Mahomes-esque.  He's not the cool customer that Herbert and Lawrence are, and personally, I found Pickett very annoying.  But the dude is good and ci think that swagger is going to play well in Pittsburgh.  And more than anything, he's in a great situation.  He was wanted, and now he plays for a HoF coach, in a loaded offense, with a strong defense and reasonable expectations of competing for a championship this year.  The stars have seemingly aligned for Pickett, and he is going to end up being very fortunate that he tumbled in the draft to such a favorable situation.

Edited by Going Commando

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He doesn't have their power, but I do think he has their arm talent to stick off platform, off script throws.  The kind of raw throwing power that Herbert and Lawrence have is breathtaking, but overrated.  As long as you have enough power, then it's more about touch and flexibility and dynamism.  Accuracy is also a lot more important, and Pickett is very accurate.

He definitely doesn't have their running power either, but gets similar results via craftiness and creativity and agility, as well as Busch league stuff like fake sliding.

Pickett has competitive swagger that is Mahomes-esque.  He's not the cool customer that Herbert and Lawrence are, and personally, I found Pickett very annoying.  But the dude is good and ci think that swagger is going to play well in Pittsburgh.  And more than anything, he's in a great situation.  He was wanted, and now he plays for a HoF coach, in a loaded offense, with a strong defense and reasonable expectations of competing for a championship this year.  The stars have seemingly aligned for Pickett, and he is going to end up being very fortunate that he tumbled in the draft to such a favorable situation.

Pickett has the #3 things that Gibbs, Shanny, Arians among others stressed are very helpful for success at that spot.

A.  Supposedly insane work ethic and desire to be great

B.  Leader-- extroverted-outgoing -- teammates like him

C.  Toughness.

Not saying you have to be an extroverted outgoing leader type -- Herbert bring a good case of not having that type of reputation but its a good bonus from what coaches have said.

Often QBs with those qualities overacheive.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pickett has the #3 things that Gibbs, Shanny, Arians among others stressed are very helpful for success at that spot.

A.  Supposedly insane work ethic and desire to be great

B.  Leader-- extroverted-outgoing -- teammates like him

C.  Toughness.

Not saying you have to be an extroverted outgoing leader type -- Herbert bring a good case of not having that type of reputation but its a good bonus from what coaches have said.

Often QBs with those qualities overacheive.

You can add in good size, some mobility and the great accuracy that he has shown at all levels, especially the short to medium range.  

He would have been drafted earlier if not for his main detractor, he wears kid gloves...and in cold weather how will he be able to grip the ball. 

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You can add in good size, some mobility and the great accuracy that he has shown at all levels, especially the short to medium range.  

He would have been drafted earlier if not for his main detractor, he wears kid gloves...and in cold weather how will he be able to grip the ball. 

I mentioned the mobility in another post.  But yeah good size.  Don't get me wrong I am not hyped about Pickett.  But I am open to him being good.

It got my attention when Randy Mueller basically made light of Ron's inability to find a franchise QB and the dude he focused on was skipping over Pickett.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't get me wrong I am not hyped about Pickett.  But I am open to him being good.

This is where I am on Pickett. I liked him but didn’t love him as a QB prospect. He certainly didn’t pop off the screen the way Big Ben did when playing at Miami Ohio. 

The hype still doesn’t match the eye test for me yet. He certainly looks improved, but I’m still wondering what it is that I’m missing. But he certainly is in a great spot to thrive.

Also worth noting that Pickett is “two and change” years older than Howell. 

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is where I am on Pickett. I liked him but didn’t love him as a QB prospect. He certainly didn’t pop off the screen the way Big Ben did when playing at Miami Ohio. 

The hype still doesn’t match the eye test for me yet. He certainly looks improved, but I’m still wondering what it is that I’m missing. But he certainly is in a great spot to thrive.

Also worth noting that Pickett is “two and change” years older than Howell. 

My hesitation is I haven't watched his pro games.  I watched him in college plenty of times.

He's hyped  is even greater than Howell this preseason.  Pitt reporters have been talking him up for months and that's spilled over to national observers.  And while I didn't love his play in college -- he was my favorite QB in that class on one front -- intangibles.    And I said so at the time.  He was the dude that from what I read jumped above the others on that front -- the package of leadership-work ethic-personality.

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mentioned the mobility in another post.  But yeah good size.  Don't get me wrong I am not hyped about Pickett.  But I am open to him being good.

It got my attention when Randy Mueller basically made light of Ron's inability to find a franchise QB and the dude he focused on was skipping over Pickett.

Yeah, this is just one of so many opportunities that Ron has missed on while looking in all the wrong places. 

I've grown tired of all the that bashing, what's done is done at this point :705:

Thank goodness he finally has an answer even though it was under his nose and he didn't know it.

The next HC will thrive off of what they inherit. 

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My hesitation is I haven't watched his pro games.  I watched him in college plenty of times.

He's hyped  is even greater than Howell this preseason.  Pitt reporters have been talking him up for months and that's spilled over to national observers.  And while I didn't love his play in college -- he was my favorite QB in that class on one front -- intangibles.    And I said so at the time.  He was the dude that from what I read jumped above the others on that front -- the package of leadership-work ethic-personality.

I thought your guy was Corrall? 

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah, this is just one of so many opportunities that Ron has missed on while looking in all the wrong places. 

I've grown tired of all the that bashing, what's done is done at this point :705:

Thank goodness he finally has an answer even though it was under his nose and he didn't know it.

The next HC will thrive off of what they inherit. 

So when EB wins a ring, will everyone say "this is really Ron's team" like they did with Tampa and Gruden?

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So when EB wins a ring, will everyone say "this is really Ron's team" like they did with Tampa and Gruden?

Nope, it will be the Josh Harris/EB/Howell ring.

Ron will be viewed as the end of the Snyder era. 

Edited by DWinzit

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I thought your guy was Corrall? 

On my final board, I had him one spot ahead of Howell in my top 100.  He sank as far as my enthusiasm as the draft approached because of his 15 Wonderlic score and it came out he was bad in interviews.  I talked about it multiple times including recently on this very thread.

A lot of people liked Corral, not just me on that draft thread.  I reread much of that thread for kicks a few days ago.  But none of us really loved that QB class.  I said to death on that thread, I like some of those guys, don't love any of them, and it wouldn't surprise me if any one of those guys succeeded or failed. 

But regardless would does that have anything to do with my point?  I was talking about Pickett and Howell.  If Corral was here, or he's been discussed, I'd talk about him.  it wasn't that long ago when i did.

Pickett went to the absolute best place for his growth. Combine that with his work ethic and I am unsurprised he is finding success.

But why was he a better prospect than Howell? Because the guy 2.25ish years older had a great senior season after a mediocre career and the younger, shorter guy had to change his game in his junior year? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pickett went to the absolute best place for his growth. Combine that with his work ethic and I am unsurprised he is finding success.

But why was he a better prospect than Howell? Because the guy 2.25ish years older had a great senior season after a mediocre career and the younger, shorter guy had to change his game in his junior year? 

He wasn't. But scouts are scouts and they will nitpick anything. Just to say they were right. Now Howell is younger had more years with good numbers, and now had a chip on his shoulders. 

I love using starts as a qualifier so I like Pickett but he wasn't my first.