Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

If we are going purely with the politics of this situation in Ron’s shoes I’d roll the dice with Howell next Sunday. 

Fans have seen such piss poor QB play from Taylor and Wentz that I believe even just glimpses of let’s say an up and down appearance would wet fan appetites

if we are going with a pure football situation it’s a no brainer to play Howell IMO 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I agree.  That 21 play drive was actually pathetic.  We just don't look like an NFL team.  Even with TH it was the same low scoring crap.

Averaging 18.4 points per game through 16 games. Scored over 30 once this season (Eagles game   32).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if we are going with a pure football situation it’s a no brainer to play Howell IMO 

Dallas is going to play their starters because they still have a shot at winning the division.  It would be malpractice to play Howell in this scenario.  If they think Howell's ceiling is a high level backup...what's the point in playing him in a meaningless game?  If they think Howell might be the guy...what's the point in playing him against a Dallas team that is going to try and win the division?  

29 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

How can Josh Stidham and the Raiders put up 34 vs the 49ers but we can't score more than 10 vs the Browns. I honestly think Scott Turner is the problem.

He is part of the problem. But I don’t think a new offensive coordinator is fixing either Taylor or Carson 

• Like 2

He is be part of the problem. But I don’t think a new offensive coordinator is fixing either Taylor or Carson 

He calls dumb plays at pivotal times. He is also never aggressive when he should be. Infuriating watching that man call plays.

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Dallas is going to play their starters because they still have a shot at winning the division.  It would be malpractice to play Howell in this scenario.  If they think Howell's ceiling is a high level backup...what's the point in playing him in a meaningless game?  If they think Howell might be the guy...what's the point in playing him against a Dallas team that is going to try and win the division?  

To give him game time experience. He’s a big boy. He reputation wise is far from fragile mentally or physically.

Id like to see his mobility on display in particular. Watson put on a clinic escaping pressure today. I’ve seen Howell do the same in college. I’d like to see what he can do. 

49ers have a big boy defense. Stidham isn’t a rookie but he doesn’t have a ton of experience. He looks fine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

They saw years worth of game footage on this guy, a guy who was not brought back by two different teams in consecutive years and thought “he’s good enough for us”.  Incompetence doesn’t happen by chance.

49ers have a big boy defense. Stidham isn’t a rookie but he doesn’t have a ton of experience. He looks fine. 

Stidham is familiar with McDaniel's offense.  I want to see Howell.  But he's on the roster next year regardless of what happens in a meaningless week 18 game against a very good defense.  If Howell doesn't start, he should absolutely be the #2 and active and be ready to be inserted when the starter inevitably struggles, though.

Man, when we announced the switch to Wentz, I was ok with it. I felt that he could AT LEAST score enough points to win us this ONE game. No, the man is soft. I knew it when he played against Philly. He should've came out frothing at the mouth, jumping at the chance to kick the Eagle's asses. Nope. He looked like a guy, sitting in a hospital gown, in a doctor's office while waiting for a colonoscopy. The guy is mentally soft.

And why does he bring his family to his games? You already have a family full of gingers, now they have to deal with bullies telling them how trash their dad is at QB. Are they bad children? Is this some part of a new experimental punishment. Commit a crime and be forced to witness Carson Wentz play? His kids must be serial killers. You know what, maybe his family is just bad luck. Are his kids talking **** in his ear before the start of every game? What do they call him "Ginger Snapz"?

I don't know where I'm going with this, just need to rant.

Edited by Simmsy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Why play Howell next week?

Because he’s the only QB we can start in a who cares game that provides any level of entertainment for me as a fan.

————————

Hilarious the talking heads pretending they weren’t on board with going to Wentz this week.  I can’t think of anyone outside of Santana Moss that was against moving on from Heinicke.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Stidham is familiar with McDaniel's offense.  I want to see Howell.  But he's on the roster next year regardless of what happens in a meaningless week 18 game against a very good defense.  If Howell doesn't start, he should absolutely be the #2 and active and be ready to be inserted when the starter inevitably struggles, though.

I don’t think it’s as you say “malpractice” to play Howell.

Howell has a high Wonderlic score. Studies like heck.  I’d like to give him some reps against a real life defense which he can study and learn from heading into the off season. 

For me personally, watching Watson escape pressure and run and in turn neutralize our D line at times,  I think Howell has some of that with his game. North Carolina’s offensive line had Howell running for his life, and he handled it more than well. 

I wasn’t as high on Howell as @KDawgbut I was pretty high on him and one of the reasons was he was a tough SOB as a player.

Worse case if he plays poorly he can handle it and again learn from it. And while one game isn’t much it still is better than nothing

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm so tired of horrendous QB play.

Gonna have to call every team in the league about their QB availability... AGAIN.

Lets call the Dolts, I heard the have some guy named Jarson Bentz we could try out.

36 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Meanwhile some guy named Jarrett Stidham is playing pretty damn well against the 9ers.  Purdy.  And A few other QBs can manage to actually make plays, complete passes etc.  

we get Wentz for 20+ mil.  Lol.  

coaching.  

Yep. Turner is clearly, by any measure a terrible OC.

Both Wentz and Heinicke are very limited qbs with massive faults and neither should be around next year unless as a backup, but Kyle Shanahan/McVay/Stefanski/Reid and others would certainly elevate them/design game plans to hide their flaws.

Ideally wentz and turner are both gone next year and Heinicke only around as a cheap backup.

Howell should not be held back next week. If he throws three picks while being chased around by Parsons so what? No one will mark him as a bust. 

If he makes some nice plays and shows pocket awareness then great, something to build on.

Literally absolutely nothing will be gained by playing Wentz or Heinicke next week, throwing receivers into positions to get lit up or interceptions. Neither should ever start again for the team. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Game plan was to run the ball to oblivion

Both were reduced to the smallest possible QB role

Both were horrifically innaccurate

Both had astronomical turnover worthy play rates

Both were ineffective rushers

Both put up piddling passing numbers.

You take Wentz name off this performance and that is the same TH game you see every week.

One was a winner the other a loser that made 28 mil and cost the team 2- 3rd rd. 

Now that we are eliminated, I am definitely in the play howell camp.  

1 - playing Wentz in a meaningless game, where he could get hurt and have his salary guaranteed, is stupid.  And he sucks.

2 - we know what we have in TH.   Not much.

3 - the only reservation I've had with starting SH is the porous oline.  I didn't want to shell shock the kid.  But it is one game.  I don't think they are going to ruin his psyche after one game, no matter how ugly it gets.  Half a season of hits and atrocious play could mess with his head, not one game imo.

Someone earlier said not to start SH bc Dallas will be trying to win the division, I think that's a good thing.  Let's see how he does against a good team doing everything they can to try to win.  And our biggest rival, just makes it even more interesting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Now that we are eliminated, I am definitely in the play howell camp.  

1 - playing Wentz in a meaningless game, where he could get hurt and have his salary guaranteed, is stupid.  And he sucks.

2 - we know what we have in TH.   Not much.

3 - the only reservation I've had with starting SH is the porous oline.  I didn't want to shell shock the kid.  But it is one game.  I don't think they are going to ruin his psyche after one game, no matter how ugly it gets.  Half a season of hits and atrocious play could mess with his head, not one game imo.

Someone earlier said not to start SH bc Dallas will be trying to win the division, I think that's a good thing.  Let's see how he does against a good team doing everything they can to try to win.  And our biggest rival, just makes it even more interesting.

I get the concern about the O line but the irony of that is Howell is used to bad pass protection in college. That’s part of my intrigue about his play with this O line.

Plus he’s a really tough dude. He plays with a spark too 

13 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

One was a winner the other a loser that made 28 mil and cost the team 2- 3rd rd. 

I don't think TH would've done any worse, but I'm not sure he would've done any better.  Cleveland has some talent on defense, and our line stinks.  

It is amazing that TH gave us just as much of a chance to win at about one tenth of the price.

Wentz is as good as gone, and do we really want to bring in carr at a similar price?  I do think Carr is better, but this just feels like the same old song with fitz/Wentz.  We got NOTHING  out of all that money out of those 2.  And if we allocate money to carr, our line is probably only marginally improved best case scenario.  Or do we roll with Howell and a mid rounder like haener / duggan and take the extra 25 mil and chase an Orlando brown and an Ethan pocic?

I think Id rather do that, and bring in a new OC, and give that a test run before Rivera and co are all canned the following year.  Then the new regime can be tasked with the new QB.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the concern about the O line but the irony of that is Howell is used to bad pass protection in college. That’s part of my intrigue about his play with this O line.

Plus he’s a really tough dude. He plays with a spark too 

True, but scrambling from guys from Wake Forest and Duke is a lot different than runnlng from one of the better NFL defenses.  But I'm still in favor of starting Howell.

• Thumb up 1