Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

What's concerning to me is how slow/unathletic Wentz looks now. That QB keeper/option or whatever it was just looked terrible. I knew he had issues with mechanics but man the guy can't really move much at all anymore. He just looks so slow and lumbering and in today's NFL the QB has to be an above average(at least)athlete(Brady being the exception of course).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

want to never see Wentz take another snap for this offense and want to see Howell start against Green Bay.  But you don't give an impassioned speech dropping f-bombs left and right declaring the 99 yard passer as the guy you wanted and bench him for Howell.  

That is not how your first comment read (at least to me) in the initial response but fair nenough I agree with this as it reads. I said so in my first comment that Ron appeared to be doubling down so Howell will not get a look. 

What I, and I believe many fans want, and what Ron will do are two different things. It appears we will see much more of Carson despite many, if not most fans preferring to get Howell some game experience. 

Just now, goskins10 said:

What I, and I believe many fans want, and what Ron will do are two different things. It appears we will see much more of Carson despite many, if not most fans preferring to get Howell some game experience. 

I'm crossing my fingers that they'll sit Wentz out of the Green Bay game due to injuries and that opens the door to introduce Howell.  He didn't look completely lost in the preseason like Matt Corral, so there's hope on that front.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

That is not how your first comment read (at least to me) in the initial response but fair nenough I agree with this as it reads. I said so in my first comment that Ron appeared to be doubling down so Howell will not get a look. 

If our record is in the toilet, then I think Ron benches Wentz by week 11, when the Round 2/Round 3 pick compensation kicks in.  If Wentz plays 70% of the snaps, then we forfeit a 2nd round pick to Indy.  I don't see Ron being willing to do that, especially if he is still here next season.

• Like 1

Everything I’ve read suggests Howell isn’t ready. 

he was a 5th round pick. It’s perfectly normal and OK for him to not be ready. Especially given the organization he was drafted into. 

I would prefer they not put him out there if he’s not ready. 

I would prefer the cut wentz and stop trotting him out there to. And letting him play over 70% of the snaps so our conditional pick we traded turns into a 2nd would be dumb. But I’d prefer they keep playing wentz over trotting Howell out there if Howell isn’t ready. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Everything I’ve read suggests Howell isn’t ready. 

he was a 5th round pick. It’s perfectly normal and OK for him to not be ready. Especially given the organization he was drafted into. 

I would prefer they not put him out there if he’s not ready. 

I would prefer the cut wentz and stop trotting him out there to. And letting him play over 70% of the snaps so our conditional pick we traded turns into a 2nd would be dumb. But I’d prefer they keep playing wentz over trotting Howell out there if Howell isn’t ready. 

Might as well put Heinicke out there, then.

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What's concerning to me is how slow/unathletic Wentz looks now. That QB keeper/option or whatever it was just looked terrible. I knew he had issues with mechanics but man the guy can't really move much at all anymore. He just looks so slow and lumbering and in today's NFL the QB has to be an above average(at least)athlete(Brady being the exception of course).

Turner has seen this everyday in practice for months, yet still dialed that play up.  😭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

At this point, I want to stay with Wentz.  We have an easier stretch of the schedule after game ten where we have four games that consist of the Falcons, Texans, and Giants twice (I am not buying into the Giants yet).  If we are 2-8 or 3-7 going into that stretch I make the move.    At that point we are effectively out of the playoffs and its a chance for Howell or Heincke to come and have some success in winnable games.   If we are 4-6 going into that stretch and Wentz has been playing better, I'd probably stay with him because you still have a shot at the playoffs even if its not good.  If we are 4-6 and Wentz has continued to struggle I would probably make a change there.

Edited by philibusters

29 minutes ago, philibusters said:

At this point, I want to stay with Wentz.  We have an easier stretch of the schedule after game ten where we have four games that consist of the Falcons, Texans, and Giants twice (I am not buying into the Giants yet).  If we are 2-8 or 3-7 going into that stretch I make the move.    At that point we are effectively out of the playoffs and its a chance for Howell or Heincke to come and have some success in winnable games.   If we are 4-6 going into that stretch and Wentz has been playing better, I'd probably stay with him because you still have a shot at the playoffs even if its not good.  If we are 4-6 and Wentz has continued to struggle I would probably make a change there.

You don't put Heinicke in there if they're out of contention and there are "winnable games." You put the rookie QB in there to see if he's got something for the future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

Howell looked better then anyone else we had in preseason. Why not give him a shot 

Source?  Because I’m betting that the “he looked better then anyone else” was not against the same level of competition.

not saying he can’t play or shouldn’t be given a shot at some point, just trying to keep the comparison on a level field 

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Terry’s wide open and I get that’s the point.  But JD has to catch that, right?  Sets up a second and short.

I guess, but it’s not great throw either.  We went from Heineke lobbing hot air balloons to Wentz errantly firing every pass out of a cannon.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Terry’s wide open and I get that’s the point.  But JD has to catch that, right?  Sets up a second and short.

Your asking a lot of your RB to haul that in.

Absolute off target missile that he can only make a diving off body attempt at with little reaction time as its a short pass. Would have been a heck of a snag.

15 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Source?  Because I’m betting that the “he looked better then anyone else” was not against the same level of competition.

not saying he can’t play or shouldn’t be given a shot at some point, just trying to keep the comparison on a level field 

The source was my own eyes watching preseason games dude. Did you not watch them?

At first I thought maybe he expected JD to continue running. But if that happened, the throw would have been behind him and possibly picked. 

Its an all around poor play by Carson. He leaves yards on the field every time he's out there. He even had a great pocket this time. Should have been an easy completion.

How in the world he forgets his top target or Turner does when dialing up plays is beyond me. They need to get Terry involved if they ever want to get this offense to even be mediocre. 

2 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Ok, so your source is your opinion.  Got it.  Fair enough but puts a perspective on the discussion.

Where on my post did I ever say it wasn’t an opinion? Isn’t that what this forum is for? Opinions? Some of you need to honestly stop being jerks for no reason. We are all in this boat together. 

edit:

Reading my post again, how can anyone think that wasn’t an opinion? Lol

Edited by skins4ever28
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

Where on my post did I ever say it wasn’t an opinion? Isn’t that what this forum is for? Opinions? Some of you need to honestly stop being jerks for no reason. We are all in this boat together. 

edit:

Reading my post again, how can anyone think that wasn’t an opinion? Lol

Your post came across as a statement of fact (imho). Hence, I asked for a source to support it.  

It’s your opinion.  Great.  Sue me

1 minute ago, stoshuaj said:

Your post came across as a statement of fact (imho). Hence, I asked for a source to support it.  

It’s your opinion.  Great.  Sue me

No. His post came across as an opinion. Surely you’ve posted opinions like “so and so looked better than ____ in preseason”, right? It’s very clearly an opinion