Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jimmy G isn’t coming here with the knowledge we are picking a QB round one. He’s getting that **** already in SF.

Depending on how far the Niners go, plus how well Jimmy G plays to finish this season, plus how ready Lance is to take over, it wouldn't surprise me if SF kept Jimmy G. for a run at the ring next year. They are built to win now and if they think Jimmy G. is better than Lance then they should keep him. 

Seems to me the 49ers have a good thing. Sort of reminds the Trent Dilfer situation. Everyone thought Dilfer was an easily replaced bum. After they got rid of him it took ten years for the Ravens to win again. 

Jimmy G is 3-1 in the playoffs. 
Aaron Rodgers is 7-9. 

No one would pick Garrafolo over Rodgers, but I think the 49ers will take some ugly playoff wins over gaudy stats and brilliant QB play. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, CapsSkins said:

My wishlist for QB:

1. Russell Wilson Offer 2 1st and a 3rd (Stafford deal set value)

2. Aaron Rodgers Same as Wilson

3. Derek Carr Raiders aren’t trading him

4. First round rookie QB Go here if no trade for Wilson/Rodgers

Don't even want to think about Options 5 and below lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jds0912 said:

Willis will never be a good pocket passer in the NFL. He is crazy athletic and will thrive for maybe 5 years if he’s put in a read option system. He will probably be the only qb in this draft that’ll have immediate impact. I think he’ll be better than Hurts but not as good as Lamar Jackson. 

Corral played against great talent in the SEC, but so did Pickett and Howell in the ACC. The ACC is third in the power 5 conferences for players in the NFL. Cincinnati however plays in a conference with a huge drop off in NFL talent. I’m not saying Ridder has zero chance of being a good nfl qb, but it’s not likely. My top 3  passers in this draft are Pickett, Corral, then Howell but my top 3 qb’s overall are Pickett, Corral, then Willis bc of his read option capabilities. I think Pickett/Corral/Willis go top 15 and Howell goes late 1st or early 2nd. 

I could be way wrong but I see Willis as a project similar to Haskins only both are different style QB's. I'm reading where Willis has tremendous athletic skills but lacks in other key areas for a QB? As great as Lamar Jackson can be in the regular season he's not successful in the playoffs vs good defenses. If we do take Willis I hope we do our homework on how capable he is of learning NFL offensive and defensive schemes because it sounds like he's very raw and athletic. 

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The only comparison that I made about Rodgers and JG is that the weather affected both of their games. That is it. Yes, they both had bad games, because of the bad weather.

JG is a large improvement over Heinicke and we could have won out with him, instead of Heinicke. 

I get the "Next Brady or Bust" argument, just don't think it's realistic.

I think the main area where we disagree here is how much of an upgrade JG would be over Heinicke. I agree that he'd be an improvement, but I think it would only be a modest improvement. And as you know, I'm not exactly a member of the Hive or anything.

They're a lot alike in some ways. Both low TD game manager types who are never going to be guys who can carry a team, both have had offenses catered to their limitations, both have very questionable decision making at times.

JG's main advantage over Heinicke is that he has an actual NFL arm, which is obviously a pretty big thing. However, he also doesn't have Heinicke's escapability and slipperiness in the pocket.

So in my opinion they're both very mediocre QBs who are never going to be anything other than mediocre, however one is slightly better than the other. So I don't see the point in wasting a high round pick on the same kind of guy, just a little bit better. I'd rather get some FA like Mariota or Trubisky and then draft a QB in the 1st than give up a 2nd or more for a slightly upgraded Heinicke.

None of Mariota, Trubisky, Jimmy G or Heinicke are ever going to take us to the promised land IMO (since we don't have a supporting cast + defense like SF does). So what's the point in giving up draft picks for one of them? Just go the cheap route and go all out and get our QB in the draft.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I think the main area where we disagree here is how much of an upgrade JG would be over Heinicke. I agree that he'd be an improvement, but I think it would only be a modest improvement. And as you know, I'm not exactly a member of the Hive or anything.

That's fair. I made a comment to KDawg earlier, that Jimmy G is Heinicke if Heinicke was an actual NFL QB.

I guess we just disagree on what having that bit of an improvement would do for us. I think he's an improvement over Heinicke, Trubisky, etc and having him wouldn't stop us at all from getting a real QB through the draft.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:
😀

Daboll -- Daniel Jones and Mitch Trubisky. Please NY make this happen.  :ols:

The scary thing about this offseason to me is our divison rivals might also be in the business of upgrading at QB and they have more ammo to do it.

To me a Daniel Jones-Trubisky combination is a ticket to QB purgatory. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I’d far prefer a 1st round qb, Heinicke, Bobby Wagner, JD McKissick and Kenneth Walker (or name that 2nd rounder) over Jimmy G and a 1st round qb.  Not that I think we’ll land Wagner, but asset-wise, that’s probably roughly the difference.

And that’s if Jimmy G was able to play here like he did for San Fran, and considering the difference in supporting casts, and the fact he’d be new to our system while he’s had 5 years (or whatever) under Kyle’s system, hard to see his play not falling off a bit.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's fair. I made a comment to KDawg earlier, that Jimmy G is Heinicke if Heinicke was an actual NFL QB.

I guess we just disagree on what having that bit of an improvement would do for us. I think he's an improvement over Heinicke, Trubisky, etc and having him wouldn't stop us at all from getting a real QB through the draft.

I think we have a good enough team to where if we had a legit top 5-10 QB we'd definitely be contenders, but it's not a good enough team to where a modest improvement in QB play would put us over the top. IMO all that might do is add one or two wins. So maybe we would have snuck into the playoffs and then likely been eliminated pretty quickly. I just don't really see the purpose in that.

As far as still getting a real QB through the draft...I'm not so sure that would happen. Let's say we gave up a 2nd and 3rd for Jimmy G. That's not the kind of draft capital you give up in a trade for a stopgap or backup QB. That's generally what you give up for a QB who you hope can be your guy for years.

Add to that the fact that the deal would likely need to include a new contract as 2022 is the last on his current one. So now you have high draft capital and probably pretty big money contract wrapped up in one QB. Given that, I'm not so sure they'd still be looking to draft a QB high.

So that's my biggest worry about the Jimmy G possibility. That if we got him, we'd be getting him in the hopes that he's the guy and would basically be rolling with him for the next 2-3 years in lieu of drafting a QB in the 1st. And it would probably be a pretty depressing few years. By the end of it Ron would probabl be a goner and we'd probably have lost some key players. Then it's time for a whole new rebuild.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think we have a good enough team to where if we had a legit top 5-10 QB we'd definitely be contenders, but it's not a good enough team to where a modest improvement in QB play would put us over the top. IMO all that might do is add one or two wins. So maybe we would have snuck into the playoffs and then likely been eliminated pretty quickly. I just don't really see the purpose in that.

As far as still getting a real QB through the draft...I'm not so sure that would happen. Let's say we gave up a 2nd and 3rd for Jimmy G. That's not the kind of draft capital you give up in a trade for a stopgap or backup QB. That's generally what you give up for a QB who you hope can be your guy for years.

Add to that the fact that the deal would likely need to include a new contract as 2022 is the last on his current one. So now you have high draft capital and probably pretty big money contract wrapped up in one QB. Given that, I'm not so sure they'd still be looking to draft a QB high.

So that's my biggest worry about the Jimmy G possibility. That if we got him, we'd be getting him in the hopes that he's the guy and would basically be rolling with him for the next 2-3 years in lieu of drafting a QB in the 1st. And it would probably be a pretty depressing few years. By the end of it Ron would probabl be a goner and we'd probably have lost some key players. Then it's time for a whole new rebuild.

I don't think this team is far off at all. We could trade for Jimmy G and draft Willis. Use them both a bit and do the same thing the 49ers want to do. 2 or 3 years down the road, Willis beats out Jimmy G, then we have a great backup.

I agree that it's pricey and we'd over pay, but we'd be a very good team and grooming our next QB.

It's not ideal. I'd trade 2 firsts for Carr in a heart beat and more.

27 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I could be way wrong but I see Willis as a project similar to Haskins only both are different style QB's. I'm reading where Willis has tremendous athletic skills but lacks in other key areas for a QB? As great as Lamar Jackson can be in the regular season he's not successful in the playoffs vs good defenses. If we do take Willis I hope we do our homework on how capable he is of learning NFL offensive and defensive schemes because it sounds like he's very raw and athletic. 

I think Haskins and Willis are totally different. Haskins is a pure pocket passer so he has no choice but to learn complex systems that require quick thinking and play from the pocket. Willis has athleticism that we could use to run read option stuff maybe 15-20% of the time to keep defenses honest. You can run a simple offense with him and be successful. The biggest problem with qb’s like Willis are 3rd and long  situations where the defense knows they’re going to pass, but the hope is most of the time you gain enough yards on 1st and 2nd down to have 3rd and short where you can still run or pass. From what I see he has the coordination to slide and get down, which is a must for a qb like him. You’re right, Lamar Jackson isn’t great in the playoffs bc this type of offense isn’t exactly the formula to win Super Bowls but it’s not impossible either. I think Willis could give us at least 5 solid years of good offense and playoff contention. That’s better than what we’ve had since I’ve been a fan (1997). If you want to turn Willis into a pocket qb then he’s definitely a Haskins type project. I think that would be a waste of time and talent. In the right system he’s a plug and play qb that could bring instant success. I would much rather draft a Pickett or Corral and hope they are the pocket passing type qbs that win Super Bowls though. Howell may end up being good but I think he’s a day 2 pick, so if we go that route we could take another position at #11 and go with Howell in the 2nd. That’s not my ideal scenario though. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don’t think this FO can easily talk Russell into coming here but McConaughry maybe😀

Wilson wants to go to a team that is ready to win now.  We don't fit that category.  I just don't see it.  Does this forum think we should trade more than a 1st and 3rd for him.  Seattle says they don't want to trade him and if the WFT team were to give up 2 1st I'd think that were way too much with him being 33 going on 34. 

43 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I don't think we can attract a good FA QB. The year to do that would've been Riveras first. All QBs see is a team that can't get over 500 and don't have enough offensive weapons. We're not the Rams. 

Our best option is to trade for Derek Carr as SIP has said.  I think SIP mentioned a 1st and 3rd would be fair compensation.  

55 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Wilson wants to go to a team that is ready to win now.  We don't fit that category.  I just don't see it. 

He's given mixed messages on this.  His teams last year that were supposedly on his short list weren't all loaded with win now rosters ala the Bears and the Raiders.  Someone who knows Wilson told the Athletic that they don't think Wilson ends up a stickler for where he goes.  but will see.

Does this forum think we should trade more than a 1st and 3rd for him.

I wouldn't offer that because I'd be afraid that Seattle would laugh hysterically at me for offering that for  a player like him.  That's less than the Stafford deal.

Does this forum think we should trade more than a 1st and 3rd for him.  Seattle says they don't want to trade him and if the WFT team were to give up 2 1st I'd think that were way too much with him being 33 going on 34. 

Two first rounders IMO won't land him. Supposely the Bears offered 3 first rounders last year and were turned down, forgot where I read it.

If we coud get him for two first rounders, it would be IMO beyond a steal.

I don't get the consternation.  Wilson would IMO be the best Qb this franchise has had since Sonny Jurgenson.  It would feel surreal to have him in WFT(Commanders?) gear.  It would be like the the class nerd showing up to the prom with the Homecoming Queen.    

We are used to eating ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner. Wilson is filet mignon.  i am not quibbiling too much about the price.  It would be insane if we could land him.  it might save Dan's franchise from bleeding attendance and declining TV ratings.  

Our best option is to trade for Derek Carr as SIP has said.  I think SIP mentioned a 1st and 3rd would be fair compensation.  

I said I thought two firsts.  Alas I don't think he hits the trade market though.   Will see.  It depends on what their new coach wants to do.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Wilson wants to go to a team that is ready to win now.  We don't fit that category.  I just don't see it.  Does this forum think we should trade more than a 1st and 3rd for him.  Seattle says they don't want to trade him and if the WFT team were to give up 2 1st I'd think that were way too much with him being 33 going on 34. 

A 1st and a 3rd for Wilson would get us laughed out of the building. That would be like walking into a Ferrari dealership and asking if they'll take your Honda and $20k in trade for an F8 Spider.

And who knows what Wilson wants. There were reports in December that his short list was now NYG, Denver, and the Saints...none of which would necessarily be on a "ready to win now" list I'd think. But then after that report Wilson was asked about it and he basically shot it down.

Historically these types of trade rumors don't usually go anywhere, especially when they concern franchise QBs. The exception seems to be Watson, but that's obviously a pretty special case. There were rumors about it last year with Wilson, Rodgers, and Carr as well...and nothing came of it. Now it's the same this year all over again.

I don't see why the Raiders would trade Carr unless they bring in a new GM and HC who want to clean house and start from scratch again. But even in that event, I'd imagine they would ask for 2 1sts for him. Wilson would be 3 1sts most likely. Or 2 1sts plus several players.

Edited by mistertim