Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Surprised they didnt make a return when we signed Mariota....

They were colt fans specifically. He was a town hero for real and they loved him. Mariota as far as I know never had that kind of pull. Kinda glad he doesn’t lol

• Like 1

That NFL article mentioned that JJ took the S2 and did well.  One coordinator said the rise isn't interviews or pro day but that coaches didn't get a chance to look at film until after the season.  Scouts are looking at traits but not always looking like a coach would look at processing, leadership and command in a huddle. Not everything is good in it but I felt better about McCarthy from that section, mixed as it was as it went more into depth about strengths and criticisms. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Man, this place is just savage today. :ols:

But I'm done trying to stick up for people. I tried to stick up for @Llevron and I didn't even get a stupid t-shirt out of it.

I got the stupid I’ll send you the shirt hahahahacrycrycryhahahahah

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm going to have my agent tweet about this disapprovingly.

Well, we won’t be drafting you!

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They were colt fans specifically. He was a town hero for real and they loved him. Mariota as far as I know never had that kind of pull. Kinda glad he doesn’t lol

I keep forgetting Mariota is even on this team. Complete JAG. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

That NFL article mentioned that JJ took the S2 and did well.  One coordinator said the rise isn't interviews or pro day but that coaches didn't get a chance to look at film until after the season.  Scouts are looking at traits but not always looking like a coach would look at processing, leadership and command in a huddle. Not everything is good in it but I felt better about McCarthy from that section, mixed as it was as it went more into depth about strengths and criticisms. 

this happens every year. Teams get fooled by the tangibles and bypass the guy with elite leadership and culture potential. Its kind of funny if you think about it. Its almost like talent evaluators cant help themselves from jumping on the same grenade year after year. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Caught up with two radio segments from Keim yesterday.

A.  This is the 2nd instance of him saying don't rule out McCarthy.  Now this is a 180 for him from a few days ago.  I mentioned this yesterday.  He didn't say why he feels this way but knowing him, he had to hear from someone he knows within the team otherwise he'd be more general on it.  And I gather this shift was perhaps from the top 30 visit?  But he still downplayed it some and suggested he feels its more in a trade down scenario.  He doesn't think they trade down but doesn't completely rule it out. 

B.  He's mentioned a few times he knows people close to Daniels they feel its Washington, Minny and the Raiders are where he wants to go

C. Daniels is cool with coming here.  

D.  The issue is his camp (assuming) his agent wasn't tipped off that all 4 QBs will be there that day.  Keim didn''t say this part of it, its a guess from me, that is, by piecing different narratives together am guessing Daniels was upset at his agent for not informing him about this and his agent blamed it on the team for not telling him.

E. Daniels had a good time on his visit here

F.  Keim doesn't think the agent drill influences the pick

G.  Keim won't rule out any of the three QBs are taken but asked twice who does he think they take if he had to pick, he said Daniels

H.  Was asked on the off chance the FO would take McCarthy, fans would be upset.  Keim said they don't care about fan reaction to their picks they just want to win -- its not like it was under Dan where fan reaction was a variable

I.  Mentioned in both segments, he heard the Raiders really really really want Daniels and that's the team that benefits if any team does from anything relating to Daniels falling or being available

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

14 hours ago, illone said:

Keim is one of my favorite reporters. 

that said I can tell he has a bit of JD bias. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation. 

This has been one of the most spirited drafts I can remember, but will definitely be kinda relieved when it’s over. Draft exhaustion setting in. 

6 sleeps!

I don't actually think he's biased, I think either he has contact(s) in the building that have told him: slight edge to Daniels early, which seems to have kind of smeared into everything w/all the quoted guys in the league: an enormous recency bias where they all keep repeating info from '23, rather than info from entire careers, and if it isn't that, it's simply he's tilting based on league wide quoted insiders rather than in the house, and he's backstopping it w/50/50 because if he has a contact or not, the leaking isn't happening from high enough. It's one or the other or both. I don't see why he'd care or be biased as an individual, he's a reporter, why would he care who we take? He just doesn't want to be wrong on this and he's thorough, and conservative, so unless he sees something obviously Maye or someone else, unless he has an insider, he probably has a slight tilt to consensus simply because that's his mental makeup as a reporter: conservative/risk averse. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Daniels' publicist has stepped in to do some damage control lol

That took a lot lot longer than it should have. Back when the 'JD doesn't want to play in NE' rumors started, EAG immediately refuted that (and JD posted, um, a blue hat).  This makes me wonder if maybe the Vikings meeting didn't go as well as they'd hoped (either), so now they're trying to brush everything under the carpet and just hoping JD doesn't do a nose dive down the board on draft night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Could be, then, otoh, its worth remembering that teams boards are rarely identical to the aggregators big boards, consider the clown show around here having Forbes ahead of Gonzalez last year, a guy tiered out inside the top 4-7 of last years draft. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some teams have Nix, some teams have Penix and some teams have JJ in their top 4, and others dont have JJ or Maye or Daniels in their top 4. Thats probably, honestly, why Penix is there, he's probably one of our top 3, or he's our "we just received the Vito Corleone offer" target. 

Of course. I was trying to make that point, perhaps unsuccessfully, that the only way you move down for Penix is if you have him rated on par with the others.

Still, I don't see how you move down to 11 or 13. If you think Penix is that good, you have to assume others do as well. Say you get an enormous deal to move down with Minnesota. Then the Raiders trade up to 8 and take Penix. Now what do you do? Trade down again and take Nix?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, illone said:

this happens every year. Teams get fooled by the tangibles and bypass the guy with elite leadership and culture potential. Its kind of funny if you think about it. Its almost like talent evaluators cant help themselves from jumping on the same grenade year after year. 

If you had a guy who was even 66.67 percent of Brady as culture setter, came from a healthy and excellent organizational culture, and was even 40 percent as successful as Brady, aren't you obligated to take that? And the guy is faster and more nimble and younger?

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I think New England has been desperately hoping we pick Daniels because they want Maye.  They've been chumming the water like crazy to try and speak that into existence.  I think they trade out of three if we pick Maye, and the Raiders give up 13, 44, and two future firsts to get Daniels.  Then I think Minnesota will move up to four or five for McCarthy.  I don't think New England likes Daniels, and if they have a mandate from Kraft to pick QB and Maye is off the board, then I could see them taking McCarthy instead.  Then Arizona would have a bidding war for Daniels and be able to milk the Raiders and Vikings.

This is exactly how I see it playing out if we draft Maye. New England is going to get a huge haul from the Raiders.

I think it’ll come down to Maye having the ability to make NFL throws. If the team thinks they can correct his other flaws, then that is the pick. JD has less flaws, but you can’t teach having an NFL arm. Either you have it or you don’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes. Apparently not a whole lot of overlap for member lists on ES and Hogs Haven:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2024/4/20/24134576/commanders-fans-vote-2-1-to-draft-jayden-daniels-over-drake-maye-as-support-for-trading-down-weakens

What Commanders fans want to do with the #2 pick

What a difference seven weeks can make!!

You can see below the results of two survey questions asked here on Hogs Haven, nearly two months apart.

temp_No_2_pick.jpg

Support for picking Jayden Daniels has spiked up from 21% to 51%. The idea of Drake Maye as the team’s pick also solidified, rising from 18% to 26%, while support for trading down — the most popular option at the end of February — fell from 29% to 17%.

7 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I don't see why he'd care or be biased as an individual, he's a reporter, why would he care who we take? 

the UM/OSU rivalry is one of the bigger ones in all of sports. 

The chances of him not having an anti Michigan bias are slim and none and slim is in the bathroom:

image.jpeg.23953b5e55496696df3930bb3f9a680d.jpeg

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I don't actually think he's biased, I think either he has contact(s) in the building that have told him: slight edge to Daniels early, which seems to have kind of smeared into everything w/all the quoted guys in the league: an enormous recency bias where they all keep repeating info from '23, rather than info from entire careers, and if it isn't that, it's simply he's tilting based on league wide quoted insiders rather than in the house, and he's backstopping it w/50/50 because if he has a contact or not, the leaking isn't happening from high enough. It's one or the other or both. I don't see why he'd care or be biased as an individual, he's a reporter, why would he care who we take? He just doesn't want to be wrong on this and he's thorough, and conservative, so unless he sees something obviously Maye or someone else, unless he has an insider, he probably has a slight tilt to consensus simply because that's his mental makeup as a reporter: conservative/risk averse. 

To your point, agree.

Keim has never been about biases and personal preferences.  He's not a fan of the team. 

By reputation, he checks in with a zillion sources before saying anything.

Feels like it's just a simple case of kill the messenger with Keim this time because I've never seen Keim assailed like this on what he's hearing especially considering what he is saying is fairly benign.  Keim's info is often on the side of what the fans want or fans are neutral as to having an angle.

But on this thread of late anything nice or anything that alludes to Daniels might be the pick -- doesn't seem too popular.

Now Keim can Larry Michael his reporting and say what the masses want -- in this case the masses on this thread -- or just tell people what he's hearing.

The irony is all he is saying is coaches he talks to, all of them prefer Daniels.  Otherwise he doesn't know what the team is going to do.  If pushed for an answer he says Daniels but he isn't saying its definitive, he's flat out saying it could be any of the 2 (3).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

This is exactly how I see it playing out if we draft Maye. New England is going to get a huge haul from the Raiders.

I think it’ll come down to Maye having the ability to make NFL throws. If the team thinks they can correct his other flaws, then that is the pick. JD has less flaws, but you can’t teach having an NFL arm. Either you have it or you don’t.

Feels like an underpinning of some of Keim's points.  He makes the case of always think about what team (s) benefit from noise and he said expect more of it this week.

Then said the Raiders really want Daniels badly.

I don't think its far fetched that both NE and the Raiders want Washington to take Maye (which is fine with me of course) so Daniels falls to #3 and NE and Raiders do some type of blockbuster deal. 

JD Daniels' agent just responded to this with a wink emoji. ;)

• Like 2

Hey guys, you know what's a fun topic we could speculate on if we ever get bored this week?

What happens if in several years Jayden pushes for a trade to LV or refuses to do new contracts with us?

*runs away*

• Haha 2

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

Hey guys, you know what's a fun topic we could speculate on if we ever get bored this week?

What happens if in several years Jayden pushes for a trade to LV or refuses to do new contracts with us?

*runs away*

Pierce will likely be fired by then.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

37 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

If you had a guy who was even 66.67 percent of Brady as culture setter, came from a healthy and excellent organizational culture, and was even 40 percent as successful as Brady, aren't you obligated to take that? And the guy is faster and more nimble and younger?

Its tough to answer because Brady as the college prospect was a late pick for a reason although there were signs, it was ALL intangibles with him as I think his 40 time and shuttle were all worst in combine history lol. 

We will look back at this as another case study of when the team says nothing people just make stuff up and some of it becomes a narrative people cling to and report on... and it's all nonsense.

So much of it is just 24 hour media cycle click bait nonsense. QB stuff is fun to talk about and gets clicks/viewers. Gets nuttier every year. 

Keim is the best. Not biased at all. And remember, he was one of the only reporters saying Ben Johnson was not a lock and the team always liked Quinn. No one wanted to hear it, just like some don't want to hear what he's reporting now. 

Him saying Daniels is most likely the pick is based on the fact that the consensus around the league is that Daniels is the second best QB prospect. On top of that, he maybe has some intel that the team has been leaning that way. But that's just it -- leaning.  He doesn't know for sure and he doesn't want to burn anybody. 

I am fine with Maye or Daniels. Taking JJ at 2 seems like the biggest risk and hardest move to defend if it doesn't pan out and Maye or Daniels become a beast. You would have to have a complete consensus in the building that JJ's the guy you want or you are 100 percent risking your job.  Now if you can trade down and then back up, that's another story. But GMAP has made clear they are sticking at 2. Of course, that could be a bluff. 

We'll see!

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pierce will likely be fired by then.

I really hope Pierce is renting. 

Also, the fact that Pierce loves Daniels after their time at ASU is a good sign for those in the Daniels camp.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 4

I’m to the point that I am 100% ok with any of our options. Even McCarthy, who I think has a decent chance at being the best QB from this draft. 

The main thing I’m interested in on Thursday is whether the Giants strike out in their attempt to draft a QB. I don’t want them to end up with any of these guys. 

• Like 1