Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

28 minutes ago, rhyno said:

To be clear, I'm in the take Maye or JD camp and I will support whomever we choose and also can't wait till Thursday night. I don't watch enough college football or have enough time to pour over tape. I like the little bit of JD's tape a little more than Maye's for a few reasons. But, when projecting for a career QB, Maye has the potential to have that 15+ year career (ala Brady, Rodgers etc. over JD whom I feel could have a few of good/great years and potentially fade much earlier.. But who actually knows?

Well said. This is where I’m at too. Both QBs are talented, both appear to be hard- working good kids. I think Maye might have the longer career, but that is based on perceived durability, not talent. I guess I prefer the longer steady ascension/career, than a shining bright star from the start, that fades quicker. I’ll support either of course. 

One question. I haven’t seen asked is - can we design run plays for JD, or do you think that is too risky given his frame? Also, it’s 4th and goal, can we QB sneak with JD? Maye at 220lbs should be no issue in that critical scenario. I don’t watch much college tape, so just wondering if JD was used on a 4th and goal sneak often. 

• Like 4

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-pro-execs-scouts-coaches-rank-and-evaluate-the-top-20-prospects-in-this-qb-class

SocalSkins had it pegged from the beginning.  This ya'lls franchise QB?!

"At Arizona State, they couldn't get him out of there fast enough. It didn't matter if you talked to coaches, staff, teammates -- they were like, ‘Good riddance,' " a second AFC scout said. "You're pushing all your chips in on this guy. Obviously, Brian Kelly and those guys saw a different side of him. But when does the other side come out? When some real adversity strikes in the league and he's starting to get peppered and you've got people wanting to kick his ass, it'll be interesting"

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I know we have previously called these guys idiots but they also like Maye ALOT. Making all the comparisons y’all have made (which makes the idiot thing kinda funny) about John Allen. They like him better at reading defenses pre snap too, it sounds. They never say it but it sounds like they are a step away. They like everything we like about him. And they don’t call him a project. 

Jay is an idiot, I don't care what nice things he might say about Maye. I basically ignore him when he talks about QBs, regardless of who it is. Colt is better, but still hit or miss. I do like listening to him more than Jay because he's better at breaking down tape and explaining what's going on. Jay just sounds like a goober.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yeah he's "prepared to go to Washington".

As if his parents married him off to a rich royal family in Pakistan and he has now finally accepted his fate.

I don't get it. Does JD not realize that we have a great new front office? Arguably had the best free agency of any team? Have 6 draft picks in the top 100? A ton of cap space going forward? All things that could lead to massive help for him and for this organization to become a great one. I don't know why but he seems to be acting like an entitled jerk.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I will say this: I think Schefter's comments and the timing of his comments are interesting.

My theory is that Daniels's agent has been feeding Schefter(and perhaps other reporters) all offseason that his client is gonna go #2. Schefter reports this, since nobody else is leaking anything. It generates buzz and views, and ultimately that's Schefter's job now as much as it is to report news.

The group meeting goes poorly. Or at least, Daniels thinks it went poorly, for one reason or another. Either he was disappointed he didn't get the red carpet treatment, or he feels like he wasn't able to show his best self because that environment isn't conducive to his personality, whatever. Either way, Daniels lets his agent know "Man, that kinda sucked." 

The agent interprets that as "My client is no longer going #2." And reports as much to Schefter. Who then backtracks his original comments.

They then keep their dinner meeting with the Vikings for Thursday night(day after our meeting). After all, if it went really well, they would probably just cancel the meeting, since throughout this process they haven't really bothered with teams they figured weren't in range of a top 3 pick.

My theory is that Daniels's agent has been feeding Schefter... Schefter reports this, since nobody else is leaking anything. It generates buzz and views

Very logical and highly probable possibility given the known fact set.

In turn, the agent has likely been pumping up Jayden that he's definitely our guy-- which is irresponsible and unfair to his player.

Then when Jayden comes in, to what he reportedly thought was going to be an all day solo interview, just the like the others he had been too. He suddenly finds to his surprise that his competition will be their too and he panics thinking...

"This is not how it's supposed to be!"

"I was the anointed one! I am supposed to be drafted at two. My agent says it, all the talking heads on TV say it daily but the Commanders don't seem convinced. This makes no sense. Why are all these people here at MY interview?"

If it went down anything like this--- bravo to Adam Peters and Josh Harris!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5

Low moment for your boy @Voice_of_Reason Bram on the QBs.

He goes Daniel Jeremiah said if it were up to him he'd take Jayden Daniels but to him he'd guess this team would take Drake Maye.  Bram goes further that of course if you watch the film you'd come away with Daniels as the clear choice so of course DJ sees it that way.

Ridiculous and if that doesn't showcase how once Bram gets carried away, and the dude has no objectivity, nothing does.

The problem with it is Jeremiah has been saying the polar opposite, he's been a big Drake Maye guy and likes him better at 2.  He's said this like on a million shows.  

I got no issue with anyone who likes one QB over the other.  But that dude needs to get his facts straight.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

One question. I haven’t seen asked is - can we design run plays for JD, or do you think that is too risky given his frame?

You have to.

He has to much ability in that department not to utilize it.

Your running that dude regardless.

Its part of the reason why being great at protecting yourself is gonna be vital. You are going to use his legs by offensive design.

4 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Also, it’s 4th and goal, can we QB sneak with JD?

He did QB sneaks in college but there is no guarantee he can be effective at the NFL level at it. Moving an NFL pile requires a different amount of strength.

Personally, with him its not something I'd want in the regular tool bag. I'd prefer to see read option takes for short yardage to give yourself a numbers advantage. Very effective.

Logan Thomas-esk under center substitutes are also on the table if you gotta sneak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

The kid himself has said and done literally nothing that’s the funny part. People are gonna hate him because of a bunch of **** other people have said about him. Reading into EVERY word on Twitter has never worked for anything 

He uses these people as his mouthpiece.  His mom, his agent, his publicist, there is a clear pattern of them speaking for him when he doesn't want to get his own hands dirty.  The other two top QBs in the class have been no stranger to controversies and intense media speculation, why is Jayden the one who looks like his circle is a big problem?

The dude is such a horrible fit for this franchise and we all know it.  The only ones who are still lying to themselves about it are his cheerleaders in the media.  He needs to go to the Raiders.  An old, grizzled fan base on the East Coast won't put up with his act.  He is way too soft and too much of a diva to play in DC, NY, or New England.  He'll get eaten alive in those markets, not to mention he would greatly benefit from playing in a dome.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

There's no way you take a QB on a lower tier no matter what the offer is. 

It's possible they like Penix a good deal more than most, or they just invited him because it couldn't hurt anything. But no way they are thinking about trading way down and taking a QB they consider much lesser than the top 4.

Could be, then, otoh, its worth remembering that teams boards are rarely identical to the aggregators big boards, consider the clown show around here having Forbes ahead of Gonzalez last year, a guy tiered out inside the top 4-7 of last years draft. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some teams have Nix, some teams have Penix and some teams have JJ in their top 4, and others dont have JJ or Maye or Daniels in their top 4. Thats probably, honestly, why Penix is there, he's probably one of our top 3, or he's our "we just received the Vito Corleone offer" target. 

• Like 1

I think New England has been desperately hoping we pick Daniels because they want Maye.  They've been chumming the water like crazy to try and speak that into existence.  I think they trade out of three if we pick Maye, and the Raiders give up 13, 44, and two future firsts to get Daniels.  Then I think Minnesota will move up to four or five for McCarthy.  I don't think New England likes Daniels, and if they have a mandate from Kraft to pick QB and Maye is off the board, then I could see them taking McCarthy instead.  Then Arizona would have a bidding war for Daniels and be able to milk the Raiders and Vikings.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think New England has been desperately hoping we pick Daniels because they want Maye.  They've been chumming the water like crazy to try and speak that into existence.  I think they trade out of three if we pick Maye, and the Raiders give up 13, 44, and two future firsts to get Daniels.  Then I think Minnesota will move up to four or five for McCarthy.  I don't think New England likes Daniels, and if they have a mandate from Kraft to pick QB and Maye is off the board, then I could see them taking McCarthy instead.  Then Arizona would have a bidding war for Daniels and be able to milk the Raiders and Vikings.

Yep I forsee a draft day fall for Daniels if we pass on him. Its set up perfectly. ESPN feeds him down everyone's throat for three months, then milks the crap out of his fall on primetime.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He uses these people as his mouthpiece.  His mom, his agent, his publicist, there is a clear pattern of them speaking for him when he doesn't want to get his own hands dirty.  The other two top QBs in the class have been no stranger to controversies and intense media speculation, why is Jayden the one who looks like his circle is a big problem?

The dude is such a horrible fit for this franchise and we all know it.  The only ones who are still lying to themselves about it are his cheerleaders in the media.  He needs to go to the Raiders.  An old, grizzled fan base on the East Coast won't put up with his act.  He is way too soft and too much of a diva to play in DC, NY, or New England.  He'll get eaten alive in those markets, not to mention he would greatly benefit from playing in a dome.

In all fairness his agent and publicist haven’t really said anything either. Everything people are upset about is perceived and interpreted through multiple other people (that we have previously called idiots and paid to make noise) and we are taking it and running with it. 

I haven’t seen anything from Jayden Daniels that says he is a horrible fit. I know a lot of you want it to be so, so it is. But I personally have no seen it. 

I follow all that by saying I don’t want him drafted here because I know what y’all will do his entire career and a few month of it is fun, a few years is draining. I don’t care if he is more talented, he doesn’t fit this fan base for sure and that’s enough for me. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wanna defend Jay Gruden for a day just to **** with y’all but I think I have used up all my political capital on publicity stunt gate. I have made mistakes this week. 🙁

Lmao. Your clip is empty, go reload and get back to us 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Jay is an idiot, I don't care what nice things he might say about Maye. I basically ignore him when he talks about QBs, regardless of who it is. Colt is better, but still hit or miss. I do like listening to him more than Jay because he's better at breaking down tape and explaining what's going on. Jay just sounds like a goober.

Colt isn't bad.  Jay is.  They both struggle to synthesize the information they glean into a coherent, well-reasoned take.  And that fundamental inability to see the wood for the trees is super common among the former QBs and experts who are suddenly moonlighting as draft media analysts.  Good scouts take years of focusing on this one job to hone their perspective, and they also possess intuition for identifying player personality and growth potential that is different than what players and coaches develop when they watch film for the purpose of game planning.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep I forsee a draft day fall for Daniels if we pass on him. Its set up perfectly. ESPN feeds him down everyone's throat for three months, then milks the crap out of his fall on primetime.

I don't think he falls far if we pass him at 2.  Someone will trade up for him.  You just have to find the spot where the trade ammunition matches the willingness to jump down.  The Giants and Cardinals both feel like great candidates to take Godfather trade offers because they might be looking at what Chicago did and think they took will be QB shopping in 2025 once they have the financial flexibility to cut their albatross contracts. The dead cap for cutting Murray or Jones drops by like 50 million next off-season.

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I follow all that by saying I don’t want him drafted here because I know what y’all will do his entire career and a few month of it is fun, a few years is draining. I don’t care if he is more talented, he doesn’t fit this fan base for sure and that’s enough for me. 

JFC dude.  Yeah the reason Jason Campbell didn't work out was the fans on a message board. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

JFC dude.  Yeah the reason Jason Campbell didn't work out was the fans on a message board. 

How did you read that into me saying I don’t wanna see y’all ****ing about him for a few years? That’s all I’m saying. 

This is what I mean by saying y’all read what y’all want. I never blamed the results of anyone’s career on a message board. What kind of sense would that even make? 

Edited by Llevron
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Colt isn't bad.  Jay is.  They both struggle to synthesize the information they glean into a coherent, well-reasoned take.  And that fundamental inability to see the wood for the trees is super common among the former QBs and experts who are suddenly moonlighting as draft media analysts.  Good scouts take years of focusing on this one job to hone their perspective, and they also possess intuition for identifying player personality and growth potential that is different than what players and coaches develop when they watch film for the purpose of game planning.

I'm happy that Jay isn't the coach anymore, but most of the "Jay is an idiot" takes seem to be based on his coaching record here.

It depends on what they mean. 

Is Jay as good as people who spent years as actual scouts?.... No

Is he better than other ex-players / coaches?.... Maybe

Is he better than moonlighting fans and message board posters?.... Yes

To be clear, he's not my go to for scouting takes, but you can do A LOT worse out there on the interwebs

• Like 1

I’m an ASU fan.

My wife got her BS Marketing from ASU in 2003 so I’ve followed the team fairly closely for about 22+ years. 

None of this matters one bit, just thought some context might matter in regards to my JD takes. 

He had every opportunity at asu: plenty of weapons, a better running game to lean on (compared to LSU), and a fairly weak pac-12 schedule to navigate.  He beat Oregon, out-dueling Herbert, and that was pretty much the high water mark for him. After that he didnt really do much of anything, instead making poor throws, fumbles, and generally choking games away when opps were there. 

He wasnt the type of kid who elevated the players around him, at least from the outside looking in, body language in pressers, and other teammate comments throughout his tenure. 

I dare you to find one ASU fan that was disappointed when he left…

Not saying he isnt a good player now, or that he hasnt improved. The numbers prove he has. But what about the intangibles? Bill Walsh claims intangibles are 60% of the QB puzzle, maybe more. We going to just ignore that because he had one great year in college?

The agent stuff we’re seeing now isnt a big deal

in a vacuum, but when you add in the other behavior patterns and football results, it raises the risk factors even more. 

This kid is not the franchise leader or culture changer that washington needs right now. He is a good fit for a team like Baltimore or San Fran that already has a strong culture and locker room in place that he can fit himself into simply due to peer pressure and the veteran presence around those programs or similar. 

A rebuilding team that is ushering in new ownership, staff, and a rabid fanbase that hasnt won in two decades?  No way thats a good idea. 

This is simply a bad fit from a culture and situational stand point. 

Hard pass on Jayden.  

He aint him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Can someone workup a Jayden Daniels in a gasmask / bong photo?

• Haha 3