Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): Ineptitude vs. Kansas City

KDawg

48 minutes ago, profusion said:

Despite the Chiefs doing everything they could in the first half to screw it up, the WFT managed to pull out the loss in the second half.

On the positive side, I got in a nice nap in the third quarter and into the fourth. Feel much better now. So thanks, WFT.

WFT. Helping people catch up on much needed sleep since 1997 (or whenever the **** little Danny became owner) 

• Like 2

Someone on 980 just called Willie Jackson the ghostface killer because he never turns around the coverage so his face is never shown.

This was Steelers@WSH MNF to open the season from a few years ago.  Better team starts out sloppy & mistake prone, bad team can't capitalize.  Better team slowly settles down and takes lead after halftime and never looks back.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Indi1988 said:

Jackson is a complete liability and has been a terrible FA acquisition thus far. Darby played at a much higher level. 

I doubt Darby would fare better. The difference being last year we faced a littany of awful QBs where as this year we're facing elite QBs who understand how to process what's being given to them. Neither is the answer. Nor is Fuller. 

17 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

While he has the ability, I think they understand that he is both the crux of our current offense and that it is simply too much of a load for his body to handle.

If we rely on Gibby any more than we currently do we would be pogo-sticking on a crutch. We already refuse to give him rest- leading to another predictable fumble after a 10+ yrd run where he carries guys- we can not afford to have him increase his usage.

I was thinking more of how he's used, not how much. No question he can't hold up as a 'normal' RB. The point of bringing in a guy like that is to take advantage of his pass-catching skills and ability to move in space, and they're not doing much of that. Running him straight at the line most of the time is just a waste of his ability. If he's used in a more versatile way, it'll keep defenses guessing and maybe even allow him to run more successfully.

As a whole, the offense never seems to get any rhythm, no matter who's under center. That was true last year, too.

Man. I wish i could stop being a fan. I can’t though. And it sucks.

i was walking back to metro after the game. There were more chiefs fans than WFT fans. And the few of ours, were too down to even give a ****. It’s depressing. 

At this point I’m just waiting to see who our next inevitable new coach will be, whenever Snyder fires Ron. It’s sad. I hate this. 

• Like 1

This kind of sums it up for me, I know the DB's are getting abused and Chase did have a sack today but if we didn't get at least one superstar out of those picks we're in trouble. I do see some solid play at times but we don't have anyone who can go into hero mode and take over a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Same but its the NFL and there is some randomness

It does ans it doesn’t.  If you’re really terrible, you’re really terrible and you lose just about all your games.  

The good thing is they aren’t cap committed to almost anybody.  

They need to completely retool the secondary without Collins, and improve very significantly at LB.

Maybe I’m glass half full guy, but I think there IS talent on the roster.  But a few glaring holes are sub optimizing everything.

• Like 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

It does ans it doesn’t.  If you’re really terrible, you’re really terrible and you lose just about all your games.  

They need to completely retool the secondary without Collins, and improve very significantly at LB.

Maybe I’m glass half full guy, but I think there IS talent on the roster.  But a few glaring holes are sub optimizing everything.

We are terrible, but even terrible teams get wins here and there. The Giants won in New Orleans for example. Last year the Jets won a game on the road against the Rams who went on to make the playoffs. In the Giants last Super Bowl season we swept them.

I have us going 5-12. I think we split the Eagles and beat the Giants in the finale(because of course we would win a meaningless game to screw over our draft status). We'll also probably win some other game randomly, maybe the Carolina or Denver one since those teams appear to be frauds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its pointless to invest in defense in today's NFL. Get a stud QB and just try to figure it out everywhere else. The Ravens have like 20 guys on IR mostly on defense and they're still 5-1.

Yep.  I am squarely in the you need a franchise QB to win camp, and its a large camp.  Most agree.  Some don't though and I've debated some of them.  It's cool, to each their own.  I understand the counter argument which isnt that they don't agree a big time QB helps you win but its more about they are hard to find so instead build a stellar team and if you don't find that great Qb you could still win.  But as the PFF guys like to say, the one common denominator of teams that can't get over the hump for a long time no matter what the regime -- is them lacking that QB.   I don't think its that easy in the salary cap era to build a stellar enough supporting cast to win without that QB. 

I was in Arizona years ago to watch our team manhandle them.  I talked to a few Arizona fans and they sounded really defeated.  Race forward to now, they got Kyler Murray and we don't.  They are really really good.  And we aren't.  Having that franchise QB doesn't guarantee being a winner but its the closest thing to it and there isn't a close 2nd IMO. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its pointless to invest in defense in today's NFL. Get a stud QB and just try to figure it out everywhere else. The Ravens have like 20 guys on IR mostly on defense and they're still 5-1.

This is right on. In today's NFL you don't need a great QB but you need a good one. O line just ok. Running game average, just for a change up. What you need is 4 real good to great receivers. It's a pitch and catch league. I wonder where we would be if instead of drafting 5 defense 1st round players we drafted 4 fast pass catchers and a strong arm QB.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jackson let him get the extra yards for the first down, let him hit the marker? 

lol I don’t know why but Jackson gets a lot of the benefit of doubt for whatever reason for bad play compared to other players 

For playing so far off him. Seems no matter who the DC is or anyone else, the DB’s always play 87 yards off the WR for some reason.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We are terrible, but even terrible teams get wins here and there. The Giants won in New Orleans for example. Last year the Jets won a game on the road against the Rams who went on to make the playoffs. In the Giants last Super Bowl season we swept them.

Giants got steamrolled today.  They also lost to Atlanta.   Fans booed them off the field today and their players are upset about it.  We beat them.  They have the worst record in the NFL since 2017.  I think we are in better shape.

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Me too.  I am not much of a Star Wars geek but it feels to me like the 2nd movie in the trilogy.  Empire Strikes Back.  Take a step back to ultimately take a step forward.  I think their weaknesses are glaring.  Exposing them and getting a high draft pick and in theory a much easier schedule than this season's nightmarish one -- might be what's in order to rap this up with a Return of the Jedi. 

And I know its unpopular to say on a thread like this during a losing streak but yeah I do think Rivera is smarter about football than any of us here.  And I think exposing our weaknesses is something that likely actually helps him fix things.  To show that I am consistent on this point, I've said several times this off season that I hope Daniel Jones has a decent albeit not great or terrible season because i want to confuse the Giants brass that he's the guy or might be the guy versus it becoming crystal clear that he isn't.

In an off season its tough to fix everything.  You don't have enough picks, cap room and opportunity typically to go full buffet to fix everything.  So you typically fix the most glaring spots but often you leave a glaring problem or two because of there is some "maybe" baked in.    So you gamble on a spot or two.  But if that blows up and the maybe turns obviously into hell no than you fix it with a code red attitude.

IMO those spots are MLB, FS, QB -- maybe OLB.  They have other weaknesses too but those to me are the billboard level problems.  And yeah I don't think its we get that but Rivera is in a fog about it.

I know some here push for major lineup changes now.  That's cool.  Personally I don't give a rats behind.   I want to fix this team in the off season.  If the season goes south, I'd rather not win an extra meaningless game because lets say Reaves is marginally better at FS than McCain or whatever they discover.  I suspect our team isn't brimming with killer backups and or there are a number of difference makers on the street.  Having said that, I'd bet there are some on the verge perhaps and we will see that soon.  But for me I am not dying to see name that backup play with the exception of Jamin Davis.  Instead,  I am eager to see how they fix this after the season. 

I give every coaching staff give or take 3 years (except Zorn) and if they can't do it then, i'll carp as hard as anyone.  I do think though if Rivera doesn't work out, we will be fishing the bottom of the barrel of coaching prospects.  The top ones won't want to come here IMO.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

For playing so far off him. Seems no matter who the DC is or anyone else, the DB’s always play 87 yards off the WR for some reason.

Jackson had to charge forward and tackle him before he hit the first down marker.  He simply didn't do it.  I seriously doubt he's coached up that way.  On another note, Jackson doesn't always play off.  And we play more man than most teams.

Part of the reason why I am maybe less sympathetic to Jackson than most is based on watching him in training camp.  I saw the reporters in the off season talk about whether Jackson is a problem based on what they saw.  I saw the same thing they did but I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the time.  That is, Jackson was covering Terry, playing a lot of man in camp and to say it was no contest would be a grand understatement.  It looked like Terry was covered by some random HS player.  Terry had no problem getting open on just about every play.  I didn't think much of it then.  But since some of that has carried over to the season it seems, it's tough to dislodge it from my brain when we talk about Jackson.

The nicest thing I'll say about him is I typically give any new player some time before giving up.  So Jackson still has plenty of rope with me.   He's had IMO a couple of good games and 4 bad ones. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do think thoough if Rivera doesn't work out, we will be finishing the bottom of the barrel of coaching prospects.  The top ones won't want to come here IMO.  

Idk man, I think Tanya should be able to lure in some top coaching prospects 

• Haha 3

This below.   I've said this before but i thought it was interesting when Portis was asked why the team hasn't won, he goes about they aren't really bad enough often enough to get that top player in the draft, preferably the QB.   I am not rooting for losses at the moment.  But yeah I do think its not the end of the world if it happened. 

1 minute ago, ddub52 said:

Idk man, I think Tanya should be able to lure in some top coaching prospects 

Yep new beginnings with Tanya. :ols:  If Lincoln Riley or Deebo or whomever decides to give the NFL a go, coming here is an obvious destination spot. 

• Haha 2

OK, Giants below, but please keep Jones.  I hate the idea of competing with the Giants for a QB when they have two first rounders to play with

To add insult to injury, this feels so far like a magical year for Dallas.  I can see them exacting revenge for last season by blowing us out in the matchups. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Some players are trying , I give them credit and no I did not expect them to beat the Chiefs, perhaps the Saints BUT I think at this point this should be said even if they were slightly more competitive than they are now.

In my humble opinion the below average play is on Rivera. After the Jay and Brucie show ; this team screamed "Rebuild" from top to bottom. Rivera came in and promised to do just that. What happens? mid-last-season Rivera notices the NFC east is a cluster F and decides he can exploit that and make a playoff run in his first year!!?? virtually unheard of in the NFL. He puts the team into a pressure cooker of win-now; and raises expectations through the roof. We beat a 11-0 Steelers team that could care less as they were due to drop a game and we come close against a Tampa Bay team playing their 2nd string in the 2nd half as they were heading to the Superbowl.

Enter this season he cuts Darby and Moses like that's the only real reason we did not go far and brings in win-now high priced FA's who are really in it at this point for the paycheck regardless of what they say on camera ( we have seen this movie before with Dan ). He then inexplicably is passive in the draft. NO trading up for true blue chips NO trading down to amass draft picks like most *serious* teams do when they are rebuilding. He just lets picks fall to us like we are some sort of permanent playoff team and just need a tweak  Does Rivera even understand the NFL comes with a "Trade" button and many "rebuilding teams use it" ?.

Now all the smoke and mirrors have been exposed. The defense is no where near ready for prime time; players who should not be here are still playing.  You passed on a young gun QB and went with a QB who is older than half the fan base and has the injuries to prove it, so now your QB is someone who was a backup on a XFL team and shows the poor decision making that got him there.

My friends, we have been exposed for the frauds we are, we are light years away from being realistically competitive , our roster is still in shambles (see our secondary) . Sad thing is it may take a couple years till Rivera excepts he cannot act like a child who wants to play with their toy now now now without reading the instructions first. But then maybe that's why Dan hired him , that's exactly the way Dan *IS*. I hold out hope Rivera will snap out of it and focus on real roster building and team cohesion and turn this around. True winning franchise building is a  long boring process (and not with Carolina cast-offs). Rivera needs to get real about this as well as the pseudo-GM and stop with the "Fake it till you Make it" quick fix, sugar high. While we all enjoyed the sugar rush last year the hangover just a'int worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1