Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A question for you guys

ThePackisback

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think I was in 3rd grade for that 1991 team.   Lots of fun memories from that team and it seemed like we were great, but I was too young to really take in any nuance.  In terms of the 1996 Packers I remember they were really good, but they were not my team so I didn't follow them close enough to really judge them.  In my mind the 1991 Redskins were better but that is a gut reaction opinion rather than an informed one.

I thought our 97 team was easily just as good as the 96 team and we lost to Denver. I thought we were a better team but unfortunately we weren’t that day.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

The fact that I am still a loyal fan has me convinced I either have an iron chin, or I will  need reconstructive chin surgery soon.....

LOL. Watch us beat the Bears this week then Washington will come in to GB and beat us.

Only gave up 9 sacks in 91 as well. 3 coming in the final game against the Eagles, and that offense wasn’t the quick drop back, west coast offense. Rypien was airing the heck out of the ball that season, half his TDS were over 25 yards if I remember correctly.

96 Packers were #1 scoring offense and #1 least scored against defense.  Great team as well.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

And to be sure, this was a great *team*. The storyline about the 1991 team was about how lowkey and obscure most of them were. This was not a star-studded outfit but they played so well as a unit that they steamrolled over the competition throughout the season.

Well, the Posse was legit and the O-Line was gold. The whole League knew about these guys.

On Defense there were three stars: Charles Mann, Darrell Green and Wilber Marshall, of 85 Bears fame, probably our most expensive FA adquisition ever in the modern era.

And of course everyone respected Gibbs in and outside DC.

A lot of our games were primetime events, also. Unbelievable today, I know.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hail2skins said:

That's a cool list Koolblue.  It seems that a lot of lists compiled in the present would have a recency effect and skew toward the newer winners, but that one does the opposite in recognizing that the pre-salary cap era teams were more dominant.  A #5 ranking for the '91 Skins is nothing to sneeze at. I've always thought the '91 team was probably more underrated by Skins fans themselves compared to the other Skins SB teams because the '91 team really didn't have that signature playoff moment against a dominant team of the era. The NFC playoff opponents we faced that year were inconsequential immediately before or after 1991. We did destroy a Bills team in the middle of their four-straight SB appearances, but so did the Cowboys two straight years afterwards.

The list has the '96 Pack at #9, and that's probably about right. That team I would consider to be one that was sort of in the middle of the transition between the pre- and post-cap eras, although, given the cap took hold in like '93 and '94, many would probably consider them to be a cap-era team. The '91 Skins did not have the mid-season hiccup the '96 Packers had, as Washington was 11-0 and had dominated a lot of their games before losing a game to the Cowboys which featured a Dallas hail mary at the end of the first half and some BS Emmitt Smith draw play TD earlier. And the second loss was the season finale at Philly after Gibbs called off the dogs.

But at least Raaaaaaaadgers got you another title in 2010. This thread was an inadvertent reminder that its been 30 seasons since our magical year. Thanks pal 😡

Those eagles redskins games were pretty incredible though. I think we gave up only 7 sacks all year and 3 were Reggie. That eagles team was crazy tough. Probably the best defense Buddy ever built. If not for the body bag game the year before, we may not have rebounded like we did. Im from Philly and watched all those games. I think there was a 13 game stretch decided by 8 points or something like that. It was awesome and a big reason I'm a football fan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Those eagles redskins games were pretty incredible though. I think we gave up only 7 sacks all year and 3 were Reggie. That eagles team was crazy tough. Probably the best defense Buddy ever built. If not for the body bag game the year before, we may not have rebounded like we did. Im from Philly and watched all those games. I think there was a 13 game stretch decided by 8 points or something like that. It was awesome and a big reason I'm a football fan.

Yep, those were intense games. The start of 1989 was painful as we opened by losing at home to the Giants on a 52 yard FG at the gun, and then the next week we were up big on Philly but they came back, but at the end we broke a big run into their territory and basically only needed to run the clock down, but they forced a fumble and ran it back the other way, setting up a TD pass to win the game. Then later that season we were at the low point after losing to the previously winless Cowboys, and the next week rolled into the Vet and managed to win an ugly 10-3 affair that I attended up there.

The '91 Skins were awesome, but I do think it would've been a lot more interesting if Cunningham hadn't gotten injured the first game of the season, if Montana hadn't been hurt, or if either Parcells hadn't retired or Ray Handley had started Phil Simms instead of Jeff Hostetler (the Skins did beat Simms in a late season game at RFK).  And the NFCCG would've been VERY interesting if the Cowboys had beaten (rather than getting trounced by) the Lions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Yep, those were intense games. The start of 1989 was painful as we opened by losing at home to the Giants on a 52 yard FG at the gun, and then the next week we were up big on Philly but they came back, but at the end we broke a big run into their territory and basically only needed to run the clock down, but they forced a fumble and ran it back the other way, setting up a TD pass to win the game. Then later that season we were at the low point after losing to the previously winless Cowboys, and the next week rolled into the Vet and managed to win an ugly 10-3 affair that I attended up there.

The '91 Skins were awesome, but I do think it would've been a lot more interesting if Cunningham hadn't gotten injured the first game of the season, if Montana hadn't been hurt, or if either Parcells hadn't retired or Ray Handley had started Phil Simms instead of Jeff Hostetler (the Skins did beat Simms in a late season game at RFK).  And the NFCCG would've been VERY interesting if the Cowboys had beaten (rather than getting trounced by) the Lions.

Those were my high-school years. I watched the 91 SB on an aircraft carrier on a 12 inch TV in a 10x10 foot room with a few hundred other guys off the coast of France. It was just awesome. It really was the end of an NFL era and it was owned by the NFC East.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hail2skins said:

That's a cool list Koolblue.  It seems that a lot of lists compiled in the present would have a recency effect and skew toward the newer winners, but that one does the opposite in recognizing that the pre-salary cap era teams were more dominant.  A #5 ranking for the '91 Skins is nothing to sneeze at. I've always thought the '91 team was probably more underrated by Skins fans themselves compared to the other Skins SB teams because the '91 team really didn't have that signature playoff moment against a dominant team of the era. The NFC playoff opponents we faced that year were inconsequential immediately before or after 1991. We did destroy a Bills team in the middle of their four-straight SB appearances, but so did the Cowboys two straight years afterwards.

The list has the '96 Pack at #9, and that's probably about right. That team I would consider to be one that was sort of in the middle of the transition between the pre- and post-cap eras, although, given the cap took hold in like '93 and '94, many would probably consider them to be a cap-era team. The '91 Skins did not have the mid-season hiccup the '96 Packers had, as Washington was 11-0 and had dominated a lot of their games before losing a game to the Cowboys which featured a Dallas hail mary at the end of the first half and some BS Emmitt Smith draw play TD earlier. And the second loss was the season finale at Philly after Gibbs called off the dogs.

But at least Raaaaaaaadgers got you another title in 2010. This thread was an inadvertent reminder that its been 30 seasons since our magical year. Thanks pal 😡

But there's one thing that is really, really barely mentioned { I haven't had the chance to see KB's list yet } but in the 91' season, the Redskins had something like 6-7 games during the season against actual playoff teams for the same year. 

Falcons { smoked them badly } reg. season and playoffs

Cowboys  1 - 1 against them

Bears   reg. season

Detroit  reg. season and NFCCG

Oilers { IMO their toughest game all year }

Bills in SB

+ swept the previous SB champions Giants

The team was absolutely solid, didn't have players beating up their GFs/wives, didn't brag about being good or out making videos, and had IMO the BEST HC ever in Gibbs, simply because he took 3 different QBS to winning SBs.

Wayyy underrated. I pretty much absorbed the 91' season, but everyone was getting yellow dots in their white underwear over Jim Kelly and the Bills. 

{ at least none of OUR players forgot their helmets }

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

Well, the Posse was legit and the O-Line was gold. The whole League knew about these guys.

On Defense there were three stars: Charles Mann, Darrell Green and Wilber Marshall, of 85 Bears fame, probably our most expensive FA adquisition ever in the modern era.

And of course everyone respected Gibbs in and outside DC.

A lot of our games were primetime events, also. Unbelievable today, I know.

Wilbur was known as the " Six Million Dollar Man " back then when he signed with the Redskins.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Monday Night game against the Eagles was a masterpiece.

Held them under 100 yds of total offense for the game.  Green made an incredible interception by leaping up and snagging the ball out of the air with one hand, but the damn refs blew the play dead. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

How good was the 1991 team? 

This was 5 years ago, and believe me, it's hard to get anything positive about this franchise from USAToday 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/best-super-bowl-team-winner-ranking-best-nfl-team-ever-super-bowl-50-redskins-49ers-cowboys-packers-patriots

3 years ago from the ESPN experts (for and against)

https://www.theperspective.com/debates/sports/1991-washington-redskins-best-nfl-team-ever/

DVOA ratings 9 years ago where they show the '96 Packers 4th best overall.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/1991-dvoa-ratings-and-commentary

Edited by BleedBNG
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, skins island connection said:

But there's one thing that is really, really barely mentioned { I haven't had the chance to see KB's list yet } but in the 91' season, the Redskins had something like 6-7 games during the season against actual playoff teams for the same year. 

Falcons { smoked them badly } reg. season and playoffs

Cowboys  1 - 1 against them

Bears   reg. season

Detroit  reg. season and NFCCG

Oilers { IMO their toughest game all year }

Bills in SB

+ swept the previous SB champions Giants

The team was absolutely solid, didn't have players beating up their GFs/wives, didn't brag about being good or out making videos, and had IMO the BEST HC ever in Gibbs, simply because he took 3 different QBS to winning SBs.

Wayyy underrated. I pretty much absorbed the 91' season, but everyone was getting yellow dots in their white underwear over Jim Kelly and the Bills. 

{ at least none of OUR players forgot their helmets }

Wilbur was known as the " Six Million Dollar Man " back then when he signed with the Redskins.

It's a real shame that the Bills didn't win one of those SBs, because that team was filthy great. They really had no holes on that team. The defense was awesome and Thurman is definitely in the greatest RB conversation. Kind of unfortunate how he's always been handcuffed to Barry.

I was a huge fan of the Oilers team in 91 too and "that game" was such a blow. I'd love to know what happened. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

But it's a bad game for the Falcons.  Now if it were a link to any Favre playoff games in the 2000s, that would be cruel.😁

Were you here back then?  I think he was dubbed "Captain Jager"...which led to who we referred to as "Crystal Chandelier" because he kept getting broken.  

The Falcons are still a joke.  I love that.  Still put all of their hope in a dude who lost a 25-point lead over Brady...just stupid.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's a real shame that the Bills didn't win one of those SBs, because that team was filthy great. They really had no holes on that team. The defense was awesome and Thurman is definitely in the greatest RB conversation. Kind of unfortunate how he's always been handcuffed to Barry.

I was a huge fan of the Oilers team in 91 too and "that game" was such a blow. I'd love to know what happened. 

If ya got a few spare hours the entire game is on youtube.  Ian Howfield missed the would-be winning kick for Houston, game went to OT, and of course none other than Darrell Green picked off Moon on Houstons 35 or so. Lohmiller finished it.

PS: You might turn down the volume, back then RFK was packed, loud and rockin'!  You might cry seeing the stands back then...lol

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Always kinda wondered how much him (Thurman) not being able to find his helmet at the start of the superbowl game screwed with his mojo. lol

8 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Always kinda wondered how much him (Thurman) not being able to find his helmet at the start of the superbowl game screwed with his mojo. lol

It was only like 2 or 3 plays, but it'll hang on his career like a soaking wet blanket forever. Pretty unfortunate. He really was the first All Around Back.

12 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

If ya got a few spare hours the entire game is on youtube.  Ian Howfield missed the would-be winning kick for Houston, game went to OT, and of course none other than Darrell Green picked off Moon on Houstons 35 or so. Lohmiller finished it.

PS: You might turn down the volume, back then RFK was packed, loud and rockin'!  You might cry seeing the stands back then...lol

I might watch that today. I meant the Houston vs Bills blown lead game though. Houston rematch superbowl should have happened that year really.

14 hours ago, skins island connection said:

That's a fine memory you got there hehe. We also sent the Bears two first-round picks for him in two different years.

That's some serious interest in a LB. He was well worth it, IMO. The guy was a winner.

Man, how has this franschise fallen....

7 hours ago, El Mexican said:

That's a fine memory you got there hehe. We also sent the Bears two first-round picks for him in two different years.

That's some serious interest in a LB. He was well worth it, IMO. The guy was a winner.

Man, how has this franschise fallen....

Yea, some games just stick with me; but then again sometimes I find my truck keys in the freezer so, go figure!

There was alot of talk questioning getting Marshall whether it was worth it. Back then 6 million dollars was unheard of insane money; today its 2nd week lottery winnings across the country.

Damn i'm getting old...😑

On 10/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, skins island connection said:

When the Oilers missed that field goal, Jurgy said "just remember one thing, God has the Redskins in a pool."

Always cracks me up.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:20 PM, ThePackisback said:

How good was the 1991 team? Would you say you were better than my 96 Packers? Where would you rank the 91 team of all time?

The 91 team probably would’ve beaten the 96 Packers team. I have a bumper sticker from the 96 Super Bowl Packers on my file cabinet.

I wanted to answer back and say "I have a question for you, what's it been like to be a fan of a well run franchise?"  However, I was 21 when the 91 Redskins blessed the fields of RFK with their presence, so, I still recall, vaguely and fading, what it is like to be a fan of a well run franchise.

If that team had not given up the hail mary to Dallas and if that had not happened, Gibbs would have played for 16-0, I think, against the Eagles in the last game of the season, they would be unanimously recognized as the best team.  It's a bit apples and oranges though.  I think that team would have beaten the 96 Packers but not the 2011 Packers.  Evolution of the game and skills that players possess and the pure physicality make it hard to hypothesize who is/was the greatest team.  I think if you break it down to decades, that helps, and your comparison/question than works.

28 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I think that team would have beaten the 96 Packers but not the 2011 Packers.

I looked up the stats for the 2011 Packers and didn't realize that they were one of the teams who scored more points in a season than the '83 Skins.  The '83 Skins are now 8th in that ranking.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thebluefood said:

When the Oilers missed that field goal, Jurgy said "just remember one thing, God has the Redskins in a pool."

Always cracks me up.

When I saw the game on tv back then, after he missed it, the camera panned to Pardee, and you can pretty much read his lips saying "I want him out" or " I want him fired". 

Yep, back in the day most everyone had them in a pool.

Today, Snyder has them in a pool as well; a cess pool...

On 10/13/2021 at 8:18 PM, ThePackisback said:

I thought our 97 team was easily just as good as the 96 team and we lost to Denver. I thought we were a better team but unfortunately we weren’t that day.

LOL. Watch us beat the Bears this week then Washington will come in to GB and beat us.

I'll have what he's having... 🤪

• Like 1