Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WTF vs. New Orleans

KDawg

Little different... starting off with a little bit of a tangent.

"We didn't expect a hail mary at the end of the half".

I...

You didn't...

Expect... A Hail Mary... as time expired?

What's that? You thought it was a situation where a hook and ladder was a real threat. You know what? I actually agree. Hook and Ladder, pitch plays, etc., were all very real possibilities in that situation. That isn't even a debate. They could have called them. But with the time ticking away to zero by the end of the play, the whole premise of defending anything there needs to start from deep alignment. You defend the biggest threat play and rally to the underneath. You have a few players underneath to pressure those plays but otherwise you put four guys aligned in the end zone, 2 more at 10ish yards and everyone else rushing the quarterback/chasing down throws to the flats/curl zone.

To not expect a hail mary in that situation is the absolute, 100%, poorest excuse I think I have ever heard.

That explains everything that I need to know about the way this franchise is operating. 

There is zero accountability... From McCain's comments last week essentially saying, "We won, shut up losers" with the connotation they're fine, WJ3 saying the secondary issues are easily fixable and Collins' "We didn't expect the hail mary". These guys can do whatever it is that they want on a down to down basis and there is no pushback. No accountability. They just go back on the field the next series like nothing happened.

The first wide open touchdown, Landon Collins covered the deep zone with his back turned to the #1 receiver to his side of the field. The only threat to his side of the field and he couldn't see him because his back was turned.

Then we have man coverage called in a trips set, where all of our DBs were aligned on a very similar plane and they ran right at Jackson, who was aligned over #3 in man coverage. #3 ran a wheel up the sideline and because all the DBs ran into each other Jackson couldn't get over the top. That's both a coaching fail and a player situational awareness fail. 

Then the Hail Mary.

The secondary is easily fixed? Would you guys like to do that, then? Instead of talking every week go out and fix it. 

Do the coaches think the guys who are backups are really buying into this coaching method? They work their asses off for a shot and a chance to play for this team or get themselves on tape, but the guys who say "it's easy to fix" are out there making the same mistakes week after week. How motivated do they think these backups are at this point? Doesn't matter what they do. The same guys see the field.

Our best secondary player has been Kam Curl, and I haven't seen the snap count numbers but he seemed to play more this week. But up until this week he was playing similar amounts and LESS than McCain and Collins. On what world is that okay? I thought Jackson started off okay but the last few weeks (and now his season in totality) has been absolutely abysmal. When does St Juste get the opportunity to be a real starter?

Why do we keep taking Jamin Davis out? He can't possibly be as bad as they are letting on because Holcomb and now Mayo are out there on the field. 

This team is being poorly led. 

Was the offense an issue today? Yes. Heinicke played his worst game by a mile and cost the team points on multiple occasions. Our playcalling wasn't always great. Terry didn't have his best game as a pro. But until the defense gets its crap together it's sad to say that the offense is an afterthought. You could also mention that our biggest FA acquisition offensively is injury prone and a non factor. Oh, and we keep rushing him back rather than let him heal completely (more poor management). 

But how about this franchise starts making accountability a real thing. You earn your opportunities. They aren't gifted to you.

On the hail mary attempt we had a few guys near it and they didn't even really attempt to jump. Why?

The culture is broken. The locker room seems broken. No one seems to be buying into what the coaches are selling. And if they are, and all of these assumptions are wrong... The players are playing so badly that they are allowing these coaches to look like they have never coached a game of football in their lives. 

There's no excuse for it.

Instead of talking about it... Fix it.

Awards:

*** - No one.

** - Antonio Gibson

* -  Kam Curl

:( - Landon Collins

:( :( - Landon Collins

:( :( :( - Landon Collins

Season to Date:

* x6 - Terry McLaurin

* x6 - Taylor Heinicke

* x5 - Antonio Gibson 

* x3- William Jackson III

* x2 - Tress Way

* x2 - Logan Thomas

* x1 - Kam Curl

* x1- Jon Allen

* x1 - DeAndre Carter

:( x2 - Bobby McCain

:( x3- Cole Holcomb

:( x3 - Dustin Hopkins

:( x4 - Chase Young

:( x5- Kendall Fuller

:( x6 - Landon Collins

:( x7 - Jon Bostic 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Said this in the gameday thread and I'll say it again. Ron's demeanor on the sideline looks like he's checked out. Not at all like last year.

The on-field bears that out. Last year's team was horrible but made the playoffs on grit and heart. None of that is evident so far this year.

• Thumb up 1

Can I get some 🙁 for the playcalling?

Ron had two minutes left in the half and two timeouts; instead of driving for a score he decided to run run run punt it back. With that kinda of loser mentality from their coach, no wonder the players aren't engaged.

• Like 1

This is such an awful organization. There is so much one can say that it’s hard to know where to start.

1. Why is Landon Collins starting? Sure his replacement can be worse but he is truly awful so just bench him.

2. Fuller has been awful which is surprising because he was at least decent last year and his seasons prior.

3. William Jackson has also been a downgrade. Ronald Darby was more in tune with this team at this point last year.

4. Our WRs once again are weak. Beside Terry, we have no one. Curtis needs to be shelved. Dyami is a one trick pony without a trick. Humphries is missing in action and Sims has been hurt.

5. Gibson is good, but I can’t help but feel he is playing out of position. It’s not a negative but I am not seeing a dynamic player. 

6. The linebackers all suck. Davis till now has been a major bust. Guy can’t even see the field.

7. This years free agent haul pales in comparison to what we got last year.

8. We are back to square one. Until we show two dominant seasons back to back, it’s another failed season.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Tsailand said:

Can I get some 🙁 for the playcalling?

Ron had two minutes left in the half and two timeouts; instead of driving for a score he decided to run run run punt it back. With that kinda of loser mentality from their coach, no wonder the players aren't engaged.

No. They all go to Landon Collins this week.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

In that video, do you see what I mean about them being in trips and everyone is aligned in the same plane defensively? You’re asking to get picked playing it that way. It’s just poorly coached, poorly executed, poorly recognized. Just bad.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

In that video, do you see what I mean about them being in trips and everyone is aligned in the same plane defensively? You’re asking to get picked playing it that way. It’s just poorly coached, poorly executed, poorly recognized. Just bad.

They are playing it looks inside leverage and the Saints basically could lose Jackson in the wash because of the alignment.  Yeah it certainly looked like S. Payton outwitting Del Rio there.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You don't even line up level when there's 2 receivers. Doing that with 3 is begging for a pick play. It's only one of the most used route concepts in football. 

I just don't understand how/why there is always so much confusion/miscommunication every week on defense. We're through Week 5 now. Its almost mid October. We're in full midseason form. By now we should have that crap figured out. Its really mind boggling. Did the scheme suddenly become more complicated? Are Jackson and McCain just complete morons? Every week guys are running wide open 50+ yards downfield. That shouldn't happen in the NFL.

That Hail Mary was just inexplicible. We had like four guys there and not one made a play on the ball. And then they talk about how they weren't prepared for a Hail Mary? Really? You can blame coaching all you want but at some point professional players should know basic football situations. That was just a gut punch and was the one play that probably lost us the game(if you can pinpoint it to one).

Collins physically can't play anymore. He's got absolutely no speed whatsoever. The big TD was all on him, why he's out at FS I don't know and to make things worse he floats closer to the LoS to maybe deceive the QB or something I don't know and then just gets roasted. Like bro just play your effing position. He absolutely needs to be benched. He's the easiest player to bench as the D played fine without him last year and we have capable players behind him in Curl and even Reaves.

Offensively we struggled today, but it was tough circumstances. The Saints D is legit and matchup well with us since they have one lockdown CB that can shadow our one stud WR. Heinecke did not play well and games like today's are why he doesn't have much future in this league beyond a backup/spot starter. Tough physical Ds like the Saints will just play tight press man knowing that even if they're beat they can catch up to balls because Heinecke can't squeeze balls into those windows on time. Tough to put it all on him though, considering the injuries we had going into the game and then injuries we suffered during the game.

Today was more of a team loss. I'd still put more on the defense when you factor in the assets invested into it, but the offense was given opportunities to put up a lot more points and didn't take advantage. Its a shame because this was ultimately a very winnable game. The Saints are...meh. We gave up way too many easy big plays.

And looking at the schedule, we might be stuck at 2 wins for a while. The Chiefs could easily put up 50 next week.

• Like 6

….That Collins quote seriously might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard a pro athlete say postgame. To the point where I’m questioning if he can make it home by himself. Does his brain work? Is he just stupid? Are they all just really stupid? 

Logically speaking, you can de-construct that quote and it just flat doesn’t work. It’s stunning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They are playing it looks inside leverage and the Saints basically could lose Jackson in the wash because of the alignment.  Yeah it certainly looked like S. Payton outwitting Del Rio there.

This might sound weird but plays like that don't bother me. If the other guy just outplays or outcoaches you then fine, I accept that.

But the big plays are just flat out confusion/miscommunication. They are self inflicted mistakes. Those CAN'T happen. If the other guy is better than you than fine, but we are just shooting ourselves in the foot way too often.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

On another note. I think we are the worst team in the NFC East.  Lol, sorry I said NFL initially.  Meant NFC East.  Not that we are hot compared to the rest of the league but I wouldn't say they are the worst.   But worst in the East, IMO yes.   

The Giants are starting to play better.  They beat the Saints in NO.  At least thus far they are hanging with Dallas without Jones and Barkley and B. Martinez and Slayton and Shepard.  Though they are poised to lose.  Kadrius Toney has started slowly but had a big game last week, made a nice play a few minutes ago.  Golladay looks like a good FA signing.  Andrew Thomas is becoming the player some of us in the draft thread expected him to become.  The young pass rusher they took in the last draft has been decent. 

The Eagles beating the Panthers doesn't surprise me.  The Panthers have had a soft schedule.  Some expected them to fall back to earth.  I know think Darnold has been rehabbed.  Will see I am staying skeptical until the sample size increases.  177 yards for Darnold and 3 picks.  The Eagles defense is pretty good.

Dallas looks stacked.  Though as i am tyinging this Elliot got banged up. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1