Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition) - Washin @TL

KDawg

I was nice to have Samuel but they couldn’t run those plays with Brown??

We are wearing Gibson down. I wish we would run the same plays with all three guys. 

Fabian was earning a game ball for helping out his old team in the first half. 

Carter was looking dangerous all season; too bad we get like 2 punts a game. We need to figure how to get him in space. 

Edited by Leonard Washington
  • Like 2

McKissic had a huge pick up that prevented a sack and allowed Heinicke a large run.

The TD play looked like a disaster at the start.  Not sure that Hopkins kicks the FG if he gets tackled there.

Finally, I made a parlay of Was -1.5, over 40.5 pts, and Washington wins the race to 20 points.  Damn Hopkins!

• Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

I'm just glad we got the W, ugly as it may be, but truly - there is no suffering like Atlanta Falcons suffering. I used to wallow in self-pity but after I learned more about the Falcons and their history it's just...

Atlanta What Are You Doing.jpg

Living in ATL for 32 years and being a Team fan for 48...I absolutely love it.  Let 'em whine.  They were up 25 on Brady.  They suck.

We've won 3 Super Bowls, and I've seen them all. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Rivera singled out rookie linebacker Jamin Davis — who played more than expected with Bostic and Cole Holcomb, who left the game before eventually returning, both down for stretches of the game — for having performed well. On the other side of the ball, guard Wes Schweitzer earned praise from Rivera, quarterback Taylor Heinicke and wide receiver Terry McLaurin for the job he did in replacing Scherff.

“Those guys are warriors,” McLaurin said of the offensive line. “Even when Brandon went down, we didn’t lose a beat and that’s important.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/03/wft-injuries-logan-thomas-brandon-scherff/

• Like 1

These awful breakdowns in coverage especially with the deep ball are beyond alarming.  How to fix it I got no clue.  I'd have to rewatch the game but on first glance it looked like a bad game for everyone of the corners.

I like Kam Curl but he seems to be at times playing FS when these breakdowns in coverage happen.  Maybe the experiment of him at FS isn't going that hot and we need him back playing exclusively big nickel and SS?

I am not confident though about much until i can watch the all 22 on Game Pass, especially as to coverage breakdowns. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hellen Keller jokes.  C'mon, get it together.

No.  Don't do that. 

She would probably be the most amazing person on this planet if she lived in the years Hawking got to talk to the world via tech.  Just sayin'. 

Back to the game.

• Like 1

I didn't really expect the Team to be a top defense this year, but I didn't expect them to be this bad. were any of the departing players really that good as to make this much difference? Surely the defensive can't have forgotten how to coach in just a few months.

No way should the Falcons have gotten 30 on us.

Enjoy the Heinicke show. Don’t worry about if he’s the long term starter. Plenty of time to whine about that later. 

This franchise doesn’t deserve Terry McLaurin. At all. I really hope he doesn’t become the next Santana Moss or Ryan Kerrigan. At this point, I wouldn’t be mad if he walked to a better team when the time comes. He should be playing in big games in big spots. Great player and great guy. Too great to play for a Snyder team. 

McKissic is just a good football player. Any team would love to have him. 

OL is quietly having a good year. Hope Scherff isn’t too injured. 

Outside of that, pretty bleak. Only good thing is that they are 2-2 so the season isn’t “over” and they bought themselves another week to possibly become a below average defense instead of the worst in the league. Basically buying time for potential improvement. 

Just now, profusion said:

I didn't really expect the Team to be a top defense this year, but I didn't expect them to be this bad. were any of the departing players really that good as to make this much difference? Surely the defensive can't have forgotten how to coach in just a few months.

No way should the Falcons have gotten 30 on us.

Part of the issue is that defensive performance fluctuates year over year bc the league is set up to give the advantage to the offense. We are built in a fundamentally flawed manner from the get go. However, that doesn’t excuse being the worst unit in the league. 

38 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The TD play looked like a disaster at the start.  Not sure that Hopkins kicks the FG if he gets tackled there.

I believe that was a 1st down play, but true that would have been a mega sack.

I was amazed by Terry's awareness to stay inbounds so he could legally catch that ball. Only had like a foot to spare. So much could have gone wrong there.

Between the O line breaking down, TH putting up a duck under pressure and Terry haveing to fight thru an uncalled PI while staying inbounds all you can do is go No, No, NO!... hey it worked!

So tired of these idiots talking. Shut up. You’ve barely been on the roster long enough to remember how to get from your apartment to Whole Foods. You’re a jag that probably won’t be here in a year. Stop sucking. That’s all you should be concerned with. I get you’re a top .01% athlete. Failure is still weird. But read the ****ing room. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera singled out rookie linebacker Jamin Davis — who played more than expected with Bostic and Cole Holcomb, who left the game before eventually returning, both down for stretches of the game — for having performed well. On the other side of the ball, guard Wes Schweitzer earned praise from Rivera, quarterback Taylor Heinicke and wide receiver Terry McLaurin for the job he did in replacing Scherff.

“Those guys are warriors,” McLaurin said of the offensive line. “Even when Brandon went down, we didn’t lose a beat and that’s important.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/03/wft-injuries-logan-thomas-brandon-scherff/

Don’t sleep on the Wes Sweitzer revenge angle to this game!

• Like 1

Dating back to last year's playoff game , in games where Heinicke has started, the offense has scored: 23, 29, 21, and 28(not counting the 6 from the Carter KR today). That averages out to 25.25 PPG. Going into Week 4 that would put us at 12th in the NFL, above average. I think just about all of us would be happy with 25 PPG average the rest of the way. Most of us going into the year thought okay if we can average around 24 we should win 10+ games.

I don't know if Heinicke is a legitimate long term starting QB in the NFL. He has such clear physical limitations that limit what the offense can do. BUT the offense is functional with him in it. He knows the system, is mobile, and is mostly pretty accurate(tends to throw high at the start of games though). He's also got that clutch factor. In both our wins this year he's led game winning scoring drives. It'd be great if he were 25 instead of 28, and maybe a few inches taller and a few lbs heavier, but c'est la vie.

Everyone wanted to kill Scot Turner but again look at these PPG stats with a QB that can run the system. And that's a career journeyman. Imagine someone like Matty Stafford running it. The offense works. I think Turner is a solid offensive coach. I don't think he'll be a McVay or Shanahan but this ain't Jimmy Zorn and the bingo caller or Billy Callahan's 1975 Nebraska offense either.

Now the defense...good grief where do you even begin with those lousy bums? I accept the fact that they aren't as talented as we thought they were, but how are guys just constantly wide open? How are we always blowing coverages? I can't imagine the D is that complicated. Are Jackson and McCain just that much dumber than Reaves and Darby? Is Del Rio coaching defense or trying to teach organic chemistry? I don't get it. It almost feels like some guys are just tanking intentionally because of Rivera's comments towards the anti vaxers. We know the LBs such. Davis is developing, Holcomb is average and mostly a JAG, and Bostic should never step foot on a field.

The DL...it almost seems like they're playing afraid. Go back to that Matt Ryan "penalty". We had opportunities to drive him into the ground and didn't. They look more afraid of getting penalized than anything else. Just go out there and play. They'll penalize you anyway, might as well get your money's worth. They're just too soft and passive and it shows in their pass rush. We don't see pockets being collapsed being regularly. We should be creating chaos constantly. I think simply put its a big mistake to invest so much in a DL in today's NFL where pass rushes are neutralized so easily. I feel like you're better off investing in a secondary nowadays and just being able to play coverage.

All in all I don't this team is very good. We barely beat two bottom 5 teams. The D is to put it nicely unprofessional at this point and gives us virtually no chance against any decent or better team and the offense led by a career journeyman has to carry us to just barely beat the teams we are capable of beating. Its smelling very much like a 4-5 win season.

But at least we have Terry McLaurin. Dude is a legit stud. I remember hating when we drafted him thinking he'd be nothing more than a career special teamer LMAO so ultimately WTF do I know?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Any team that starts Fuller, Collins, Bostic and Hopkins has a coaching problem. The world sees these guys are killing us. Yet RR outright refuses to trade, sign or start back-ups and what has happened to our glorified 1st round pick, is he even out there? 1st round picks have to be somewhat plug and play except QB's who get long development time.

We won but we have been lucky (false start in giants game) and 17# ( who we stole in the 3rd round ). RR is so conservative when it comes to personnel that his stubbornness to make in-season roster moves will kill us when our luck runs out and it will.

I would love to see Gibson and JD in the backfield together in a pro formation.  So many possibilities out of a look like that, and you know they both scare the hell out of defenses.  I think this offense is just getting started.  I never thought id say this, but the offense will keep us in games this year!

• Like 1