Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WRAL: Deadline for phone companies to block robocalls is finally here

China

I have little hope or belief that this will reduce the number of spam calls I receive:

Deadline for phone companies to block robocalls is finally here

The deadline for phone companies to block robocalls is next week, and representatives for AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all said Friday that they will meet that deadline.

Scam robocalls have been illegal since 2009, but U.S. law can’t be enforced overseas, which is where a lot of the calls originate. So, Congress passed a law two years ago requiring U.S. telecommunications companies to implement new technology to identify and block the calls.

The original deadline was June 30, but the Federal Communications Commission gave firms a 90-day grace period, which ends Sept. 28.

The technology framework, called STIR/SHAKEN, works like this: When someone is making call, their carrier verifies their number. As the call travels to its destination, any intermediate carriers along the way also verify the number. Finally, the phone company of the person on the receiving end of the call also signs off, allowing the call to go through.

"[Next Tuesday] is when the FCC will start to actually be shutting down calls from companies that don't have compliant technology," Katie Craig, state director for the North Carolina chapter of consumer advocate Public Interest Research Group, said Friday. "So, their calls to other networks may be blocked if their technology to block these robocalls is not up to date."

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 6

Good.  It’s getting so bad that people don’t even answer their phones anymore unless the number is in their contacts.  I’ve gotten some funny voicemails though.  One told me they were the IRS and names exactly how many agents were on their way to arrest me.  I think he said five agents were inbound if I didn’t call back and agree to pay.  

Can they do the same for texts too?  I get lazy scam texts all the time.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

I have Google Pixel phone and it automatically blocks spam texts. If one get's through I just flag it as spam and block and no more spam from them again. :)

Edited by zskins
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

Good.  It’s getting so bad that people don’t even answer their phones anymore unless the number is in their contacts.  I’ve gotten some funny voicemails though.  One told me they were the IRS and names exactly how many agents were on their way to arrest me.  I think he said five agents were inbound if I didn’t call back and agree to pay.  

Google includes a screening process which just screens all the extended warranty calls so they don't waste my time. Very convenient.

Most of them are also "Scam Likely" too, but the point still stands that there shouldn't be this many calls. I don't even answer my phone unless it's someone I recognize. If it's not, they usually leave a voicemail and I can get back to them later.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

No problem, my phone is getting bombarded by spam texts all day long now. 

AT&T really wants to send me a lot of gifts for paying bills on time apparently. 🙄

I get the AT&T ones constantly.  I also get ones sending me bogus tracking for non existent Amazon orders.

• Like 2

My big one lately is a guy who thinks I own my parents house. He keeps asking me to sell it. But, I don’t own it. I haven’t answered of course. My wife has a few similar ones as well. 

also, hiya helps a bit, but I’ve had to turn it off because I have been working with a lot of contractors this summer. There is a noticeable difference when it is on.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

Nothing will help.  At least we can come together and laugh about how ridiculous some of these calls are.  I've not gotten the IRS ones but it seems as if I don't extend my car's warranty that it'll fall apart in the middle of an intersection any day now.

I don't get too many of them.  But I have noticed that if I accidentally do answer that the frequency of the calls immediately picks up for awhile after that.  It's like they know if you've picked up once they move you to a list where they'll target you more.  Is that accurate for any of you guys or is that just in my head?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Nothing will help.  At least we can come together and laugh about how ridiculous some of these calls are.  I've not gotten the IRS ones but it seems as if I don't extend my car's warranty that it'll fall apart in the middle of an intersection any day now.

I don't get too many of them.  But I have noticed that if I accidentally do answer that the frequency of the calls immediately picks up for awhile after that.  It's like they know if you've picked up once they move you to a list where they'll target you more.  Is that accurate for any of you guys or is that just in my head?

That's exactly what happens

There are robocallers that just scan for a pickup, then compile lists of those to sell

• Like 1

I do still occasionally answer, wait for a person then answer, "Billy Bob's fried chicken and live bait shop, how can I help you."

Then after they try to cut I, with their script, I answer, "I am sorry that is not on the menu today. Today we have night crawlers and fried chicken, your choice light or dark meat. How can I help you?" I repeat that a few times. Then a "press 0 to speak with a live agent."

Then I sometimes hand to my 5 year old, but mostly just hang up.

• Haha 6

Android 11 seems to identify 90% or so of the spam texts so I only see them if I go looking.  Fairly happy with the way they deal with that.  Voice is another issue.  

The other common voice mail left by spammers is someone saying they're from a vaguely official sounding outfit, and they're looking at my student loan file and they've identified something that will save me from bankruptcy.  I paid for school while I was going and didn't borrow.  It's funny though, they sound so earnestly concerned and really want to help.  They are the most professional among the spammers.

• Thumb up 2