Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

45 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Just listened to Chase Young's dad call into the Grant and Danny show, that was interesting.

I saw a few tweets indicating it was priceless, claiming Chase always gets double and triple teamed, teams only scheme Chase out of games, and that Grant and anyone else who didn’t play high level college football or better can’t talk football.

Also, he wasn’t scheduled - just called in.

Bonus on Twitter, the hype is that Howie is going to get him an edge rusher and Chase Young is the guy.  Imagine if Ron sent Chase to Philly? 🍿

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chachie said:

About those interior guys: Are they really so special? Solid run stoppers, yes, and that's important for sure... but are they giving us any consistent QB pressure at all? 

All the talk is about Young and Sweat not living up to their hype but quite honestly I don't see where Allen and Payne are "elite" or "top tier" in any way. Defensive lines with a lot less fanfare are doing a heck of a lot more damage than ours. I see about one nice quarter or half from Payne every 3rd or 4th game and for all of Jon's "I'm sick of this (blank)," I really never notice how he makes a huge contribution. 

I get that interior linemen do a lot of unrecognized work. I really do. But interior linemen for other teams (especially our opponents) make big splashy plays and sack QBs almost every week. Practically ZILCHO from these two. 

Part of the issue is they play a ton for linemen. Teams like the Eagles are religious about how they rotate their tackles and ends to keep them fresh. With our depth, we can do the same. I don’t know why we don’t 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, samy316 said:

Yesterday showed you the difference between players who just racks up stats, and an impact player who shows up in the clutch in addition to racking up stats.  Hasson Reddick and the Eagles D-Line were about as impactful as the Washington D-Line yesterday, but when the Eagles needed a clutch play from one of their players late, Reddick came up with the strip sack and fumble of Howell, while our "highly touted" 1st round picks on the D-Line have failed time and time again to make impact swinging plays.  Payne's strip fumble on Barkley last week might have been the only impactful play the D-Line has made all season in the 4th Q.  Sweat & Young rack up a LOT of nice looking stats, but none have had an impactful, clutch play this season, or in a long time.  Fletcher Cox and Hasson Reddick make big time clutch plays all the time.  I know who I'd rather have with the game on the line.

You didn't see sacks from our DL. Did you see one of the top running teams gashing us? Did you see Hurts running on us like he does the rest of the league? Instead of valuing the other team, look at what our players did and build on it. Our secondary is still in shambles and our LBs were always weak. Upgrade there and keep team strength and identity markers. Our fans don't generally comprehend player development, but the plays you are asking our edge rushers to make, they will make in the coming years. We should have learned from Allen and Payne's development how our DL grow in contract 2.

5 hours ago, method man said:

You don’t need two guys of that caliber to win in the NFL especially when you have the interior guys we have. Last season showed that

What caliber of guy are you putting as a starting edge rusher in today's NFL? That is not a position you treat lightly. A weak edge is attacked all day in today's offenses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Just listened to Chase Young's dad call into the Grant and Danny show, that was interesting.

I agree, dad played the I played, you didn't card, but he was thoughtful and had some great takes.  But I mean there are HoF coaches who never played the game that can command an entire room.  I hated the fact those 2 kept interrupting his dad during the interview. I was surprised he kept his cool . That being said I'm definitely a fan of his dad..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I saw a few tweets indicating it was priceless, claiming Chase always gets double and triple teamed, teams only scheme Chase out of games, and that Grant and anyone else who didn’t play high level college football or better can’t talk football.

Also, he wasn’t scheduled - just called in.

Bonus on Twitter, the hype is that Howie is going to get him an edge rusher and Chase Young is the guy.  Imagine if Ron sent Chase to Philly? 🍿

He started off by saying if you haven't played sports at a high level then you shouldn't talk about it as a profession and you know that was gonna get Grant all hot and bothered but both sides were respectful.  I think the elephant in the room was that Chase's dad might listen to Grant's show because to me he seemed like he was talking about Grant without singling him out. 

The dad in him came out which I understand, he was protecting his son but he claimed that teams won't run to Chase's side and that Chase is like Deion Sanders in that he takes away half the field.  There were some good points, some shaky ones, and some fantasy but it was worth a listen.

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He started off by saying if you haven't played sports at a high level then you shouldn't talk about it as a profession and you know that was gonna get Grant all hot and bothered but both sides were respectful.  I think the elephant in the room was that Chase's dad might listen to Grant's show because to me he seemed like he was talking about Grant without singling him out. 

The dad in him came out which I understand, he was protecting his son but he claimed that teams won't run to Chase's side and that Chase is like Deion Sanders in that he takes away half the field.  There were some good points, some shaky ones, and some fantasy but it was worth a listen.

I don't think Chase is going anywhere, if anyone is going its probably Sweat, hes the finished product at 27 with no injury issues and is the safe bet. You are gambling with Chase and his knee, and I think the team still believes he can develop further and I think the asking price would be higher for him than Sweat...

2 hours ago, method man said:

Part of the issue is they play a ton for linemen. Teams like the Eagles are religious about how they rotate their tackles and ends to keep them fresh. With our depth, we can do the same. I don’t know why we don’t 

we do a significant amount.  Toohill, JSW and Ridgeway at least see a fair amount of snaps

• Thumb up 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just read that Sweat changed his Twitter to “404” which is the ATL area code.

Please tell me Pitts is part of said deal.

Atlanta just traded for Street from Philly. I don’t know if that means they’re done or not… but…

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Blew the coverage for the wide open TD though.

Yep. But are we 100% sure that wasn't cover 2? I agree it looked like Danny's man but lets not be swayed by a commentator speculating what Jack "30 Points Allowed or Bust" Del Rio asked Danny to do on that play.  Like PFF making their grades, they are assuming they know all the assignments. Coverages get masked and its not always obvious.

Regardless we have seen for decades DBs blow coverages throwing their arms up in the air in frustration. Overloading the plates of our DBs seems a JDR special.

Edited by RandyHolt

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Yep. But are we 100% sure that wasn't cover 2? I agree it looked like Danny's man but lets not be swayed by a commentator speculating what Jack "30 Points Allowed or Bust" Del Rio asked Danny to do on that play.  Like PFF making their grades, they are assuming they know all the assignments. Coverages get masked and its not always obvious.

Regardless we have seen for decades DBs blow coverages throwing their arms up in the air in frustration. Overloading the plates of our DBs seems a JDR special.

Low chance that is cover 2 by the looks of it. Wasn't Curl the safety on that side? Cover-1 man.

Bad mistake. 

• Like 1

10% of me feels like Chase might develop into a legit game-changing pass rusher.  I also feel like that only has potential to happen elsewhere.  Def needs a change of scenery and coaching.

The other 90% of me feels like he’s going to end up just another guy with all the talent that never meets his potential.  I assume he believes the stuff his dad said about him to Grant and that’s likely part of why he never will.

I have no desire to give him a top of market deal.  I wish someone would make us an offer that Harris won’t allow Ron to refuse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

10% of me feels like Chase might develop into a legit game-changing pass rusher.  I also feel like that only has potential to happen elsewhere.  Def needs a change of scenery and coaching.

The other 90% of me feels like he’s going to end up just another guy with all the talent that never meets his potential.  I assume he believes the stuff his dad said about him to Grant and that’s likely part of why he never will.

I have no desire to give him a top of market deal.  I wish someone would make us an offer that Harris won’t allow Ron to refuse.

I still think there is a chance he could become a true star, but you're right it probably won't happen here. 

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I still think there is a chance he could become a true star, but you're right it probably won't happen here. 

Oh he has all the potential in the world.

With the new owners and a new coaching staff, it could happen here. 

I however would not have any issue if the trade him for decent compensation.  

17 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I agree, dad played the I played, you didn't card, but he was thoughtful and had some great takes.  But I mean there are HoF coaches who never played the game that can command an entire room.  I hated the fact those 2 kept interrupting his dad during the interview. I was surprised he kept his cool . That being said I'm definitely a fan of his dad..

I'm not sure how you can be a fan of the dad after that phone call. I get it, he is sticking up for his son. But he made outlandish and downright stupid claims such as he is double/triple teams more than others, that he is one of the top 4 DEs in the league. But his take that if you never played you have no voice is just so off putting. Grant brought up other occupations including the police.  The perfect opportunity to tell him if he wasn't a police officer then does that mean that he had no right to express his opinion about Derek Chauvin?  But Grant didn't take the opportunity.  

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I too am scared that if he goes elsewhere he could very well blow up.  But next year "here" is no longer here.  Totally different owners, coaches, front office people.  Washington will literally be elsewhere from a football perspective.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I would have kept Sweat and extended him and traded Young

Maybe they traded Sweat as there never was a real offer for Young?

Young is going to ask for TJ watt/Bosa money with nowhere near the production 

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Young feels similar to Clowney but without the elite run blocking.

Too flashy, not healthy and reliable enough, takes too many plays off 

Will Compton had about 10% of Youngs athleticism yet he'd always be plodding after RB's til the sideline whereas Young gives up if he doesn't beat his blocker first time

• Like 1