Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

I'm concerned,even more so with Barton on IR, that the Washington's linebacking duo /trio will be a major weakness that the Eagles and future opponents will exploit.

While many disliked Barton,  I thought he was getting settled to the demanding role Del Rio had assigned him, which probably contributed to those low PFF scores he was getting.  (I also wonder if Davis' roles and performances was a contributing factor.)  From the limited game film I saw, Barton was tasked with a lot of responsibilities to allow Davis to do the things he could do best -- rush the passer and stay somewhat close to his primary receiver responsibility. 

Now' maybe Mayo can fill in for Barton, at least on the meat-grinder duties of the primary LB runstopper, but even Barton was way better in coverage than Mayo.  And if you replace Mayo with Hudson, opponents may simply be inclined to audible to a running play to take advantage of the size/weight impact vs Hudson.

And Putting the full trio out at linebacker may not work, because the Washington secondary often needs the five 'DB-like' folks in the secondary, especially against teams with a decent multiple threats  in the receiving/TE corps.

Moreover, Washington's getting very thin at LB, and I hope there are no more injuries at that position.  That makes me nervous if Washington decides to have Hudson take on more of the meat grinding responsibilities.

BTW, if Barton is on IR, when is the soonest he can actually play again?

• Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Moreover, Washington's getting very thin at LB, and I hope there are no more injuries at that position.  That makes me nervous if Washington decides to have Hudson take on more of the meat grinding responsibilities.

BTW, if Barton is on IR, when is the soonest he can actually play again?

4 games.  We did bring up Jabril Cox from the PS for this week at least

I think with Mathis coming back we may see some 5-1 5 today

47 minutes ago, Searchingforaqb said:

Where is Jon Allen? Two years ago he was incredible and now you don't notice him much 

Payne was incredible last season and now much less disruptive 

is it scheme? Fitness? 

they didn't do much vs a garbage giants o line and little pressure today 

Allen is playing through an injury.

Payne has still been very good. It wasn't reasonable to think he'd get double digit sacks again.

In general the DL did nothing pressuring the QB today though, but the Eagles OL is probably the best in the league.

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Allen is playing through an injury.

Payne has still been very good. It wasn't reasonable to think he'd get double digit sacks again.

In general the DL did nothing pressuring the QB today though, but the Eagles OL is probably the best in the league.

We did get two sacks against that OLine and two turnovers in the redzone, one of which was off the Brotherly Shove which nobody has been able to stop, along with holding them to 69 yards on 22 runs, so it's not like the defense was total trash today. 

The DBs work awful together. Juste played well, but stopping Brown can be next to impossible. Having Forbes and Martin playing the same corner of the field was dumb. 

Our secondary was better in zone with dudes like Corn Elder playing.

Chase looked like a guy who didn't want to get hurt and had his worst game, but Sweat played like he was trying to earn his freedom. The rest of the DL played very well.

I think we rushed in lanes today. Notice how Jalen didn't beat us with his legs?  Hell we even blitzed in lanes to keep him contained.

Hilarious how JDR tried to ease in Forbes and Quan on AJB.  Killing their trade value.

I would be totally fine with those 2 being traded tomorrow. A 2nd and 3rd or wherever they were projected to go and not reached at.  Haha not happening but again I would be fine to have Wildgoose / street DBs back and stockpile picks for the new regime. I boldly predict both will not be good fits for our next DC.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thumb down 1

Seems odd that there are ZERO GMs that were intrigued with them just 5 months ago and wouldn't offer up a 5th rounder, or a 4th or ?  Trades are rare trading rookies is even rarer but if folks are going to talk about trading Chase or Sweat I am going to talk about trading Forbes. It's a tribute to JDR to say the our prized pick has 0 value.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Seems odd that there are ZERO GMs that were intrigued with them just 5 months ago and wouldn't offer up a 5th rounder, or a 4th or ?  Trades are rare trading rookies is even rarer but if folks are going to talk about trading Chase or Sweat I am going to talk about trading Forbes. It's a tribute to JDR to say the our prized pick has 0 value.

I'm not sure I'd trade Forbes for a 5th. I'd rather just keep him and hope our future D.C. can get more out of him.

• Like 2

How are the Chargers able to afford to keep Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa and Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler and Derwin James and Mike Williams while paying Justin Herbert and we can't afford to keep the five good players we have on our team despite not paying a QB?  Why do we have to accept being a farm team?  Why do we accept a lame duck regime fire saling our talent on their way out the door?  Why do we not expect our team to negotiate second contracts with our best players when these extensions are routine for almost every other team?

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Most people don't  trade for rookies

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Were you on drugs last night?

19 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Most people don't  trade for rookies

I agree. Most people don't trade. Period. What was our last blockbuster trade? Desperation move for a QB overpaying for Wentz and dumping Will Jackson/eating his salary are all I can recall.  I just don't understand why trades in general are so rare in football. Compare it to hockey. GMs are constantly retooling tweaking trying to find the best fits/cast away bad fits with no shortage of trade partners. There are enough shared systems and terminologies.

Obviously we are in a unique situation - dead man walking coaches unable to find a way to play their 1st 2nd and 3 rounders... if ownership fully believes in a 170 pound corner getting fried in limited snaps but think he is the future for us - sure - keep him as a priority but me?  I don't want our new DC handcuffed and want to recoup picks for the new GM. Start cutting the cords. If we love Forbes than Jack "30 points Del per game" Rio needs to go by the trade deadline instead. Lets see if Kerrigan can make it work.

Edited by RandyHolt

11 hours ago, Searchingforaqb said:

Where is Jon Allen? Two years ago he was incredible and now you don't notice him much 

Payne was incredible last season and now much less disruptive 

is it scheme? Fitness? 

they didn't do much vs a garbage giants o line and little pressure today 

Allen had no tackles, no sacks and 1 assist in the game vs Philly yesterday. No reason to take trade calls for him with that kind of production.

16 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Allen had no tackles, no sacks and 1 assist in the game vs Philly yesterday. No reason to take trade calls for him with that kind of production.

Yep, one game against a HoF center and the best OL in the league is definitely reason to trade him. 

I mean Hurts was contained all game and the 7th best rushing attack was held under 70 yards. We also forced a fumble out of the tush push which goes straight at him.

But he just sucks now I guess.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yep, one game against a HoF center and the best OL in the league is definitely reason to trade him. 

I mean Hurts was contained all game and the 7th best rushing attack was held under 70 yards. We also forced a fumble out of the tush push which goes straight at him.

But he just sucks now I guess.

Dude Jon Allen has been invisible all year.  He got exactly one assist for the entire game?  If you are a Pro Bowl DT you don't put up those kinds of numbers regardless of the OL he is facing.  

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Fixed that for you.

It's remarkable how bad JDRs defense consistently is. I wish advanced analytics could compile reasonable expectation of our players on D based on draft position etc and then calculate how poorly JDR is managing them. Every year our defense seems to be pushing a futility record and dare I think JDR is chasing one right now. We were damn close to giving up 52 yesterday.

Long gone are the excuses that our pathetic offense is tiring out our defense and none of their passive play is JDRs fault. FIRE THE MAN.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Our coaches might suck and we may have handled it poorly, but there is a reason that we went back to back DB in the draft

We all wanted the Dline to get pressure and sacks...

and here they are doing it for the most part they this year. Right up there w/ the big boys in the NFL in both categories.

I truly believe our eyes are being skewed by watching a trainwreck of an oline give up a billion sacks per game and that blinds us to solid d line play.

They by far have been the least concerning aspect of our D.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

How are the Chargers able to afford to keep Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa and Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler and Derwin James and Mike Williams while paying Justin Herbert and we can't afford to keep the five good players we have on our team despite not paying a QB?  Why do we have to accept being a farm team?  Why do we accept a lame duck regime fire saling our talent on their way out the door?  Why do we not expect our team to negotiate second contracts with our best players when these extensions are routine for almost every other team?

Herbert's cap hit is 8.4 million this year and 19.3 million next year.  For the last three years of the deal 2027 to 2029 there is at least a a 60 million cap hit each year with a peak of 71 million, but right now, Herbert cap hit is not putting a ton of pressure on them.

I would not trade Forbes for anything other than a 1st round pick.  I still have hope.   

• Like 1