Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

20 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Nice one!

Incidentally, the Washington Poo Poo Platter  would have been a better and certainly more fitting name for our team than Commanders.

There was a huge debate over Baker. He spoke out against coaches, so a bunch of us thought they were making a huge mistake letting him walk instead of paying big bucks and then he went to the Bucs and flamed out with a quickness.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

There was a huge debate over Baker. He spoke out against coaches, so a bunch of us thought they were making a huge mistake letting him walk instead of paying big bucks and then he went to the Bucs and flamed out with a quickness.

Ohhh, now I remember who he was! Funny how his name eludes me but the scandal stays firmly planted in long term memory.

Thanks, KB.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Ohhh, now I remember who he was! Funny how his name eludes me but the scandal stays firmly planted in long term memory.

Thanks, KB.

Big Swaggy or something stupid he liked to be called. I was SOOO WRONG about Baker. That was my "ThIs OrGaNiZaTiOn Is So StUpId" moment.  :ols:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, method man said:

You are right. The Armstead/Arrington/Trotter trio was under Spurrier. It was actually Mike Barrow who they signed to pair with Lavar and M. Washington. He got hurt early and Pierce got his shot out of the gate. Marshall was on the time, I believe, but his emergence came later on.

Marshall was no world beater but he would be the best linebacker on this team. Heck, Rocky McIntosh would be the best linebacker on this team.

Jamin Davis and Rocky McIntosh are very similar players.  Plenty of athleticism but no ability to anticipate and poor instincts.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Jamin Davis and Rocky McIntosh are very similar players.  Plenty of athleticism but no ability to anticipate and poor instincts.

Any chance he hasn’t been given enough opportunities to be instinctual? It seems the staff unleashed him a bit more last game. Hoping this week he has 4-6 solo tackles on Hurts with a sack or two mixed in. Tell him, go get the QB and hunt… be a freak. 

5 hours ago, sebestian said:

Can someone explain with more knowledge than I.  Is William Jackson playing in the wrong scheme.  I remember hearing D Hall saying he hopes they let him play press man to man.  I assume he does not do that with the amount of zone we play.  I am just wondering, he can not possibly be this inept.  

Also, I believed someone mentioned letting St. Juste play outside and play Fuller in the slot.  I second that notion.  I cannot explain why, but I like St. Juste, I want to see him play outside, man him up and let's go.  

How long is going to take until they call Landon up.  They must have really pissed each other off? Darn!!

Jackson is a high caliber athlete, but he doesn't have high football awareness. Zone requires passing receivers off, reading route combinations, and generally more communication between the secondary. This leaves a lot of room for a player like Jackson to get confused, second guess, or just misread plays. In man coverage, it is a much simpler assignment for him to just stay on his guy. He has played his best NFL football when in man coverage.

• Like 1

It may not look it on the box score but the defense was better today. At the very least, it wasn't a coaching issue. You didn't see blown coverages or missed assignments or guys being confused. Brown and Smith made some big boy catches and Hurts made some great throws into pretty tight coverage. Sometimes the other guys just outplay your guys, but I thought our guys held up as much as one can reasonably expect. They were essentially only responsible for 17 points allowed since one of the TDs came off a really short field, and they managed to score 2 on their own. If I were to tell you that's what their output would be going into the game we'd all have taken in.

I think you'll see the D get a lot better over the next few weeks as we play some subpar offenses along with hopefully Young's return. St. Juste playing on the outside and just playing straight up man to man was an upgrade over Jackson as well.

Edited by Warhead36

Just now, Riggodrill44 said:

Scheme wise, we were fine. The problem is the players lack speed.

The Eagles at every position won with speed.

Ron built this, he needs to go.

There isn't a defense in the league that is built to stop an offense like the Eagles when they're healthy and rolling. Smith and Brown could legitimately be the top WR duo in the league(definitely top 5). Geodert is a top 10 TE. The OL might be the best in the league. And Hurts has taken a BIG step up. 

This is one of those games the offense has to score 27+ and you hope the defense can make a couple big stops and you win a 28-24 type game. The defense did its job today more or less. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Between Chase Young, Montez Sweat, & Daron Payne....if 1 has to go due to salary cap, I don't see how it isn't Sweat at this point. Payne is a monster so far this year, Chase Young still just has too much upside.  I suppose the key is Chase Young seeing the potential because if he still turns into the pass rushing beast he was drafted to be, then you don't really need Sweat on the other side in theory anyway.

After seeing BSJ today playing on the outside, why would JDR ever go back to WJ?  There was pretty much no comparison and this was BSJ's first time playing there.  Did he give up some catches, sure, but pretty much everything thrown his way was contested and had to be a very good catch by the WR.

I'd like to see WJ3 and St. Juste outside and Fuller in the slot. 

We played more man to man today it seemed like and I think we executed it well. The Eagle WRs made some great catches but I mean, if that's what it takes to beat us, then fine, because nobody else on our schedule has WR talent like that except the Vikings and their QB and OL isn't as good. 

• Like 1

D did their job today against a high powered offense. Double that when they got hung out to dry constantly from their own O's lack of production.

A lot of our DBs played tight man coverage, and even got a few good pass break ups, but every QB in the NFL is going to be comfortable throwing up wild 50/50 balls if these guys continue to make a conceited effort not to locate the ball and only shadow-puppet their guy

The was especially apparent with St J. if the worst possible outcome is a Pbkup, QBs will keep taking the chance and loft balls in his mans direction.

Each of our corners needs to at least install a little fear in opposing QBs by locating the ball with your eyes every now and again. Every play can't be a face guard. If you gotta stay on top of your guy to do that, make the adjustment

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

There isn't a defense in the league that is built to stop an offense like the Eagles when they're healthy and rolling. Smith and Brown could legitimately be the top WR duo in the league(definitely top 5). Geodert is a top 10 TE. The OL might be the best in the league. And Hurts has taken a BIG step up. 

This is one of those games the offense has to score 27+ and you hope the defense can make a couple big stops and you win a 28-24 type game. The defense did its job today more or less. 

No, better players can shut them down. I’m not saying pitch a shutout, but keeping them to 17 or less points.

Always trying to out score a team instead of stopping them.

9 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

No, better players can shut them down. I’m not saying pitch a shutout, but keeping them to 17 or less points.

Always trying to out score a team instead of stopping them.

They basically did keep them to 17. 7 of the points came off a very short field because of the Wentz fumble.

Shutdown defenses aren't really a thing in today's NFL, at least not against good offenses. 

Jalen Ramsey, by all counts the best CB in the NFL, got COOKED Week 1 by Stefon Diggs. Justin Jeffferson roasted Jaire Alexander. Trevon Diggs got lit up by Mike Evans.

Defense nowadays is to play for takeaways, hold them to FGs, and try to get like one or two big stops a game, at least against the upper echelon offenses.

What did Bobby McCain do the first 2 weeks to to earn 64% of the snaps against the eagles vs. Forrest @ 34%?

Forrest played "lights out" the first 2 weeks, and you reward him by benching him?

Heck tell Kam you are working him back in and see what Forrest gives you with double the snaps.

I can understand giving Kurl 61% of the snaps, but to give Forrest only 34% when he and Payne have been our top 2 defensive players to this point in the season is a joke.

Forrest and Curl should be starters, with McCain getting 30% of snaps. Heck, Lets see what Reaves or Butler can do.

Lets get a 4/5 safety look. Cant make the D any worse.

You have so much draft 

33 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I still can’t figure out what our coaches loves about Bobby McCain so much.

You have so much draft capital and potential sitting there in Forrest, Butler and Reaves played well with Kurl. 

But we get to watch vanilla McCain.

This may be unpopular but, if they do replace JDR at the end of the season, I hope they are open to DCs that coach a 3-4 as this team is actually well equipped for it already

DE: Payne / Wise

NT: Mathis / Ridgway

DE: Allen / draft pick

OLB: Young / Toohill / Toney

ILB: FA/draft pick

ILB: Holcomb/vet FA or draft pick

OLB: Davis / JSW

CB: St Juste/Draft pick/Holmes

CB: Fuller/TCF/Wildgoose

FS: McCain/Butler

SS: Curl/Forrest

You put 10-15 pounds on Jamin and let him become a 3-4 OLB who is rushing the passer most of the time. You pay Payne and trade Sweat. You also cut WJ3 and draft for the position. Where you are weakest is ILB