Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Sadly I don't believe either was on a practice squad.

You'd think they'd be something out there with more potential. 

How can a guy who couldn't even make a practice squad now suddenly be good enough to make the 53?

Head scratcher to me.

When you sign a guy off another team's practice squad, that guy needs to be on your 53 for at least 3 weeks. With this guy, you have more roster flexibility with him

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, method man said:

When you sign a guy off another team's practice squad, that guy needs to be on your 53 for at least 3 weeks. With this guy, you have more roster flexibility with him

If I'm not mistaken, neither were on a practice squad, I believe both were free agents and we signed one to our practice squad and one to the active roster 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Do you think we miss Landon Collins at LB? I do. 

Of course.

The RR Company didn't want to pay him because he can't cover as well as he can play close to the line. Collins thinks he's a DB, but he's a 3rd LB'er. They are too far off with his value to make a deal. WSH is the loser because they could pay a little more for a rental and get a guy that already knows the plays, helps solves depth issues, and is playing for a contract. Might want 10M/yr or something? Just a guess, but clearly he believes a S will go down somewhere and he'll get a call.

9 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Collins is a big time liability in coverage as a safety. He can cover TEs and certain RBs okay though 

Collins should've embraced the LB role. He could've sold it as "doing anything to help the team" if his ego was hurt about the move. He won't get these years to play the game back so he should've done what was needed to stay on the field. 

• Thumb up 1

I'm super excited about DFo and can't wait to see him playing the Collins role, when Curl gets back to the SS.

Those two are gonna be a menace.

5 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Sweat caused at least one big incompletion. Had Lawrence had time to throw with accuracy, that would have been a TD.  He also was probably a factor in the duck that Lawrence threw at the end.

Yep, Sweat caused the prerssure that led to the DFo pick that sealed the game for us.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Sacks are kind of a anomaly though if you think about it.  The average QB probably attempts what, 25-35 passes a game?  If the defense gets 4-5 sacks it is considered a good performance, but a lot of times, it is the pressure itself that disrupts the play.  The sack itself is a bonus because of the loss of yards, a potential turnover, and possibly getting in the QB's head going forward, but if the front seven is bringing enough pressure consistently to where it is messing up the timing of the QB's ability to throw the ball then essentially you are still getting the intended results.  This happened a lot versus Jacksonville where when watching live you might have simply though Lawrence was making bad throws, but upon replay, he had pressure closing in on home, or a defender's hand on his shoulder/throwing arm etc etc....This isn't me saying I don't care about sacks.  They are certainly great when they happen, but they happen at a low % statistically speaking that we can't always get hung up on only that. 

I also feel like this defense is missing that pass rushing linebacker that is out there to "go get the QB" on passing down situations.  Maybe because they have Chase & Sweat so they feel the pass rush is sufficiently covered by those two or maybe the linebackers we do have just aren't very good at getting to the QB.

I agree with all of this and part of me wishes we would just send Davis after the QB like we did Lavar when he wasn't the all world LB; 

12 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

As disruptive as sweat was, the difference between him and guys like Mack and parsons is that sweat doesn’t finish.  He’s gotta figure out where to get that xtra gear to finish the pressures with game changing sacks/forced fumbles

Each player is theirown entity. sweat brought it SUnday and I was happy with that. We didn't let the young QB beat us like we normally do. We got in his head and made him scared. There are always criticisms. But ourDL looked good. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree with all of this and part of me wishes we would just send Davis after the QB like we did Lavar when he wasn't the all world LB; 

Each player is theirown entity. sweat brought it SUnday and I was happy with that. We didn't let the young QB beat us like we normally do. We got in his head and made him scared. There are always criticisms. But ourDL looked good. 

Jamin looked pretty good rushing the passer. Would of had a sack if not for a penalty. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Princess Jasmin sucks and our defensive coordinator has brain rot. Remember a little over a year ago, going into the 2019 season and everybody thought our defense was going to be historic? Instead, they are just a bunch of puddin’ ****s.

They were historic on everything that could go wrong....did.  

Just a reminder how overboard the local media can get with hyping Washington players.  https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/wft-betting-odds-why-jamin-davis-good-bet-defensive-rookie-year

I'm hoping we can "stay medium" on the 2022 "Commanders" identity until a few more games into the season, and after they've played some playoff caliber opponents.

I grant,  it's been fun reading all the positive glowing predictions for Washington's receiving corps -- including the rookie Dotson.  It sure beats the doom-&-gloom posts after a loss.  But after one game, against Jacksonville no less, maybe it's a little early to ramp up and totally buy into the pre-season hype. 

And maybe even, the Washington defense can improve on its game 1 performance especially as the secondary gets more in synch, and linebackers become more stout against the run.  And if Davis finds a way to harness his talent and correctly play his role in the defense,  the front seven will be decent enough. I'm not saying it'll turn into a top 10 defense, but it could become good enough to allow the offense to keep Washington in the game and play competitive games, even against quality opponents. 

My sense is we'll have a better idea about that by around games 4-6.  So for now, I'm staying "medium" and in "wait-&-see" mode.

Edited by Wyvern

49 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

JDR calling out Jamin in his press conference Today.   Saying he needs to do better in situations where he's matched up with WR's.   Complete lunacy from JDR.

He also said we need to do a better job of not putting him in situations like that, but that doesn't fit the narrative does it?

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

JDR calling out Jamin in his press conference Today.   Saying he needs to do better in situations where he's matched up with WR's.   Complete lunacy from JDR.

Why is this lunacy? Did you watch the game? Jamin was slow to react, had all of 3 tackles on the day, and looked lost at times.

When you’re in your base defense (2 backers) and the offense has 3 wideouts and 1 tight end, then the outside backer will need to sometimes cover in a zone the slot receiver. Not saying it’s ideal on every play but if you simply go nickel, you become more susceptible to the run. Keep in mind that Jamin ran a 4.47 40. Dotson was 4.43. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 3

You know what I didn't like about that press conference, when asked about what he liked about the new defensive tackle he said, "talk to the scouts"

That to me means two things, one he had no input and two he's not happy about it.

That's not a response you want to hear from your defensive coordinator about a new addition to the roster even if it's true.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

41 minutes ago, redskinss said:

He also said we need to do a better job of not putting him in situations like that, but that doesn't fit the narrative does it?

He did say that, and then he said Jamin needs to do a better job covering the WR.   Why would JDR think Davis is capable of that?

17 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Why is this lunacy? Did you watch the game? Jamin was slow to react, had all of 3 tackles on the day, and looked lost at times.

When you’re in your base defense (2 backers) and the offense has 3 wideouts and 1 tight end, then the outside backer will need to sometimes cover in a zone the slot receiver. Not saying it’s ideal on every play but if you simply go nickel, you become more susceptible to the run. Keep in mind that Jamin ran a 4.47 40. Dotson was 4.43. 

I'm not defending Jamin.  I didn't want to draft him to begin with.   Jamin got burned at least 3 times by Kirk and it didn't look like zone defense to me on those plays.  

55 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Jamin's 40 time means nothing in relation to this.

So either don't be in a base defense against that personnel or don't play zone.    

1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

It can both be true that Davis needs to play better, and JDR needs to put him and all his players in better situations to make plays. Don't care how fast he runs in a line. He'd be ****ing Sean Taylor if his body could combine his size and speed. The LBs shouldn't be playing man on wideouts. 

• Like 2