Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Reading up on Blewitt... He's the Heineke of kickers. Bounced around a few teams and also the CFL... Also the Cowboys apparently wanted him to try out as their punter... so he's a dual threat player! (Kicking/Punting if Way ever get's hurt... not jinx there)

no pro stats yet...
also this...

A four-year starter, Blewitt finished his career with more made field goals (55) and extra points (198) than any Pitt player, providing the program with a reliable, consistent presence at an all-important position during a four-year stretch from 2013-16. He was steady, scoring a point in a record 52 consecutive games, and brought a level of power that helped stretch the field for the offense, as his 56-yard winner against Georgia Tech is tied for the longest kick in Pitt history.

What became maybe his defining trait, the one by which he remains most remembered, was a flair for the dramatic. Including the record-breaker against Georgia Tech, Blewitt kicked five winning field goals (with under two minutes remaining) in his career, none of which was more important or remains more famous than a 48-yarder with six seconds left to send the Panthers to a shocking 43-42 win at eventual national champion Clemson in 2016.

16 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Watching the Raiders defense tonight and man, you can just see the difference in energy level they are bringing.  This was the worst defense in the league last year.  They switch coordinators, made a couple additions and boom, its a real defense. 

Gus Bradley has this group overacheiving their talent level by a lot and I cant help but think Del Rio is failing us.  Yes it on the players too, certainly, but if guys are still not understanding their assignments, its on him too. 

Correct me if I'm wrong please but didn't the Packers swap Gus Bradley for Joe barry?

1 minute ago, slinky said:

Reading up on Blewitt... He's the Heineke of kickers. Bounced around a few teams and also the CFL... Also the Cowboys apparently wanted him to try out as their punter... so he's a dual threat player! (Kicking/Punting if Way ever get's hurt... not jinx there)

no pro stats yet...
also this...

A four-year starter, Blewitt finished his career with more made field goals (55) and extra points (198) than any Pitt player, providing the program with a reliable, consistent presence at an all-important position during a four-year stretch from 2013-16. He was steady, scoring a point in a record 52 consecutive games, and brought a level of power that helped stretch the field for the offense, as his 56-yard winner against Georgia Tech is tied for the longest kick in Pitt history.

What became maybe his defining trait, the one by which he remains most remembered, was a flair for the dramatic. Including the record-breaker against Georgia Tech, Blewitt kicked five winning field goals (with under two minutes remaining) in his career, none of which was more important or remains more famous than a 48-yarder with six seconds left to send the Panthers to a shocking 43-42 win at eventual national champion Clemson in 2016.

All things defense thread and we're talking kickers?

Why are we talking about kickers in a Defense thread?  Lol....back on topic.....seriously I keep asking this but I continue to be perplexed at this.  What the **** happend to cause our defense to fall so much?   These are young, strong players,  not players at the end of their careers for the most part.   Not washed up talent......and they were good just last year.    Why the **** did they regress from 2nd overall all the way to 28th????  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

All things defense thread and we're talking kickers?

I posted roster moves. He was listed. With that last name. BOOM.

5 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Why are we talking about kickers in a Defense thread?  Lol....back on topic.....seriously I keep asking this but I continue to be perplexed at this.  What the **** happend to cause our defense to fall so much?   These are young, strong players,  not players at the end of their careers for the most part.   Not washed up talent......and they were good just last year.    Why the **** did they regress from 2nd overall all the way to 28th????  

Actually, 29th in yards, 30th in points. :D

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, skinzdar55 said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I said. I’m no NFL expert, but I can plainly see that the defensive scheme is not as complex as other team’s are, around the league.

Also, you cherry-picked from my post.  I specifically said that I couldn’t understand why so many fans just immediately put ALL of the fault on the players. I actually said that they DO deserve some of the blame. There’s plenty of blame to go around. JDR is their boss. Ron is his boss. No matter the reason, it’s their responsibility to fix things when they’re broken.

JDR’s history speaks for itself. His defenses tend to take a huge step back from year 1 to year 2, which is happening as we speak. It’s a big reason why he had been out of football for years before WFT hired him.

Four QBs have now picked apart this supposed “vaunted” defense, this season. The mind-blowing pace of 3rd down conversions being given up is against a ridiculously soft zone, an overwhelmingly majority of the time. Greg Williams was a master against this type of situation. Sure, bringing heat runs the risk of being beat deep, but Good Lord, doesn’t that sound some better than the historical ineptitude of getting off the field, that we’re currently watching? The broken record of continuing to just rely on the front four is killing the team right now.

Tom Brady laid the blueprint on how to neutralize this front four, which is exactly what Herbert, Jones, Allen, and Ryan have done so far, with getting the ball out super quick. Add to this, that we have one of the worst LB units in the league, spells doom for our defense to be able to do anything to stop the intermediate passing game. Also, Fuller has regressed while continuing to be played away from his strengths, and like Josh Norman, WJIII has spent his career as m2m CB who is now being asked to play WAY more zone, and he’s struggling. Collins is what he’s been the entire time, decent in the run game, lost in coverage. Outside of the long CP touchdown on Sunday, I haven’t been terribly disappointed with McCain. I do feel that Curl needs more snaps, and I wish Reaves was playing as well.

One final thing. After reading your post initially, I tried to do some research on JDR’s defense, just to see if I were missing something. Can you point me in the direction of what you’ve read that shows his defenses are the opposite of what I’m seeing?

Ok you tried and obviously failed at finding info, I would suggest starting with the link in my sig.

From football experts, ex players and every reports, Del Rio is nowhere near as a Vanilla guy. His scheme are complex. And basing your opinon of a complex scheme on what you see on TV is not what I would call a great overview of the complexity of the scheme. Complexity might imply lots of IF.. THEN... THAT... within it.

That vaunted D camed especially from guys like Sweat, Young or Collins boasting they were gonna crush everyone in front of them.

This alone to me, puts all the blame on them. You guys played it ****y saying you were elite and stuff. And you're getting torched on any given sunday? No way, that's on them and nobody else.

Also, history in every sport will tell you that firing a HC/DC/OC midseason just almost never works and most likely fizzles. People wants to do this to try to provide a spark, but that just what it does: provide a spark and stops here.

Why? Because players still sucks in the end, and you're not gonna make horses out of donkeys.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ThePackisback said:

There’s a character and a half

Yeah....I've been drinking 15 plus beers every Saturday for the past 2 months..I need to.stop...how's your fake season going?...idk..something odd about the whole Aaron rodgers and the Packers thing...nothing against Aaron or the Packers it just seems.... fake?...

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Yeah....I've been drinking 15 plus beers every Saturday for the past 2 months..I need to.stop...how's your fake season going?...idk..something odd about the whole Aaron rodgers and the Packers thing...nothing against Aaron or the Packers it just seems.... fake?...

I’m not sure what to think. If he’s faking it that’s pretty low. 

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Del Rio has one of the most impressive DC resumes in the league. Y'all need to check yourselves. 

Players gotta play. 

I see extra-man and zone blitzes. I see stunts. 

Turner and Del Rio are both doing a great job. 

I don't check myself but I do check stats year-to-year, and his defenses dropped in rank by at least 11 on the majority of them.

I couldn't check the ones from 2018-2019 because, well, being he is such a great coach yet he wasn't on a single team, anywhere. That explains it...