Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Giants

KDawg

12 minutes ago, -JB- said:

People need to let that go.  We deserved to get screwed out of that $ because our idiot owner Snyder tried to bend the rules.  Even with that cap space available they still woulda ****ed that up anyway.  Move on.

No, we did not try to bend the rules.  We tried to follow the rules as they were written rather than the way the wink wink nudge nudge under the table junk was decided. I wish that incident had caused a scandal and wrecked the league frankly

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, carex said:

No, we did not try to bend the rules.  We tried to follow the rules as they were written rather than the way the wink wink nudge nudge under the table junk was decided. I wish that incident had caused a scandal and wrecked the league frankly

In any other industry, Goodell would have received a friendly visit from the FTC and DOJ over that one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was a joke Francis. 

well then GIF

10 minutes ago, carex said:

So you’re saying you stand with Dan Snyder & Bruce Allen Jim Carrey Ok GIF

• Haha 2

Anybody else notice it was Heinicke's third (and maybe fourth) read on his TD throw to Seals-Jones? Thomas was at tight end on the right side, and Seals-Jones was at H-back on his right hip. McLaurin and  Brown were split left. Thomas ran a go route while S-J ran an out and up. On the left, Brown ran an out and up while McLaurin ran what looked to me like a skinny post. Heinicke's first read was Thomas, but he was well covered. He then looked left for I believe Brown (but maybe McLaurin or both), but quickly gave up on that read and turned back right and threw to S-J. Through years of watching TH and reading about his talents, the ability to make quick reads and decisions has always been noted. I think this play highlights that ability for us. The play is at the 1:57 mark

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/game-balls-washington-giants-week-2

Edited by ODU AGGIE
  • Like 4

On 9/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, KDawg said:

He has not shown he can use his hands. He’s shown that he can bullrush and speed rush. He has not improved hand usage since college. Which I said was my ONLY hesitation on him. If he starts working his hands more he’s going to be phenomenal for a long time. But tackles have seen his current moves and he is getting nothing done on them.

This is part of growing. Most haven’t given up on the guy. I sure haven’t. Pointing out that he’s not playing his best ball… and why he isn’t… is t hand wringing.

Chase needs to hang out with Jonathan Allen after practice.  Watch some film on how JA uses his hands.  There aren't many people better than him at it. Which is how JA is still so good even though he isn't as thick as Payne (320lbs) or Ioannidas (310).  They have Allen listed as 300.  I doubt his playing weight is anywhere close to that.  Yet he can overcome the lack of bulk with superior hand placement.  

"We had our moments," Rivera said. "You see things that get you there and go, 'Wow, this is what we're working towards.'"

Unfortunately, Rivera also saw other instances where that unit wasn't even close to performing at the level he and so many others expect it to be at. Those missteps seemed to bother him a lot more than the positive flashes pleased him, too.

"Then you see things and go, 'Man, that is so not us,'" Rivera continued. "'That is so disappointing. That is almost immature.' Again, that's just us growing and learning."

Coordinator Jack Del Rio's group is certainly off to a perplexing start in 2021.

Fans and analysts alike believed the Burgundy and Gold defense had a real shot at emerging as the sport's most feared collection of talent, yet through two weeks, they're nowhere near matching that sort of hype.

So far, Washington is 25th in yards allowed, 27th in first downs allowed, 30th in third-down percentage and 19th in points allowed.

By comparison, they were 2nd, 3rd, 7th and 4th in those crucial areas in 2020. 

It'd be tempting to blame those discouraging stats on the club's faulty opener against the Chargers, where Justin Herbert and the Los Angeles offense moved the ball at will at FedEx Field. Daniel Jones and New York, however, didn't encounter much resistance either during their Thursday trip to the stadium, and that bunch is not anyone's idea of a dynamic foe.

Next up for Rivera and Washington is a trip to Buffalo to battle with the Bills, who are led by the super-gifted Josh Allen. With how the team struggled to contain Jones as a rusher, there's already serious angst building among the franchise's supporters about how they'll fare versus Allen, who's even more prolific with the ball in his hand than Jones is.

"We gameplan for it," Rivera said about Allen's running ability. "We'll gameplan for him. We have to be prepared for those."

The preparation, as far as anyone on the outside can discern, isn't the problem. Instead, Rivera and numerous players have lamented the defensive execution in their respective press conferences and chats with the media since the regular season began and the mediocre results have followed. 

Whatever it takes to clean things up in that regard — so far, the solutions they're proposing feature buzzwords like "communication" and being better with their "assignments" — must be done and done soon. Washington is way too skilled on that side of the ball to already be under-delivering and receiving reviews that are as harsh as the one Rivera gave on Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/18/2021 at 9:38 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

I watch Chase on most defensive snaps. I didn't see a whole lot of double teams on Sunday. On one play he was coming from the left side, was blocked fell down, stood up and fell down again. I'm not sure if that was against the injured starter or the backup but either way, well...

Again I'm in the tank for Chase as well but at this point in his career he should be showing more.

He had his share. To use Bruce's term when he was single teamed he got "close" on a bunch.  He will get home eventually. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.38.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.39.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.39.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.40.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.42.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.42.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.42.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.43.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.40.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.41.10 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He had his share. To use Bruce's term when he was single teamed he got "close" on a bunch.  He will get home eventually. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.38.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.39.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.39.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.40.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.42.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.42.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.42.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.43.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.40.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.41.10 AM.png

Yeah, I think most of these are generous or proving the point. Just playing devil's advocate folks. 

A bit fuzzy, but I did my best to identify the right players. 

1) WR + TE Rudolph

2) RB + Rudolph

3) TE and OT - legit. 

4) Saquon blocking Chase?

5) Rudolph and other TE/WR/RB

6) RB in support of OT. 

7) Rudolph and OT 

8 -  Looks like the back is running a route.

9) RG was blocking Ioannidis and then engaged with Chase. Not uncommon. 

10) Ok. 

Rudolph was assigned Chase many times and did well. When you can put a TE and a RB/WR or another TE to block the team's premier rusher....thati not a good thing. 

To be fair, there were and have been times it appears that the G, T and TE or RB are blocking Chase. We have seen 3 guys assigned to him before. 

11 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Yeah, I think most of these are generous or proving the point. Just playing devil's advocate folks. 

1) WR + TE Rudolph

2) RB + Rudolph

3) TE and OT - legit. 

6) RB in support of OT. 

7) Rudolph and OT 

10) Ok. 

Rudolph was assigned Chase many times and did well. When you can put a TE and a RB/WR or another TE to block the team's premier rusher....thati not a good thing. 

To be fair, there were and have been times it appears that the G, T and TE or RB are blocking Chase. We have seen 3 guys assigned to him before. 

We also don't know if Chase is in contain for the QB or RBs in the flat. A lot of times if a TE is solely responsible for a DE, it's because they want him getting up field so the play can go over him. 

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

1) WR + TE Rudolph

2) RB + Rudolph

3) TE and OT - legit. 

6) RB in support of OT. 

7) Rudolph and OT 

10) Ok. 

Nothing generous about it IMO.  Those were pure pass rushing plays, if you include running plays you'd see even more double teams but I didn't count it.   In the 9th clip its tough to slow that to show what went down but the focus was on Chase and yeah 2 guys dealt with him. 

Clip 4 Saquon chipped him, more like pushed him and then the Giants had the RT right there to block Chase, too after Barkley did his thing.   A double team doesn't have to be two O lineman otherwise it doesn't count.  Especially for a TE, a big part of their job is to help double team a pass rusher on the edge.  And yes it is relevant when Rudolph picks Chase's side for example over Montez to protect his QB on an obvious pass down. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/ron-rivera-thinks-chase-young-putting-too-much-pressure-himself

"The other thing to understand is when he's getting doubled, when he's getting chipped, I mean, it's tough," Rivera said. "I get that part, I know how hard it is. I watch some of the really great players struggle through times like this because everybody's got an answer, everybody is doing something [to slow them down]. And when you affect the way people approach you and approach your team, you're an impact player."

However, Rivera still wants to see more from Young and his defense. Of course, the defense started slow last season as well, but that fact hasn't made the start to this year any less disappointing for Washington's head coach

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

1) WR + TE Rudolph

2) RB + Rudolph

3) TE and OT - legit. 

6) RB in support of OT. 

7) Rudolph and OT 

10) Ok. 

Three guys are rarely if ever assigned to him. It’s that they have an open assignment and come to help. 

That is where our scheme can come into play. But a big factor in us running the right scheme is Curl being in and Collins being out.

My preseason projection when looking at the schedule was to make it to week 4 at 2-2 and then week and then 6-6 by week 13. If we can do that I think our defense is awake and hitting stride by then. 5 straight division games and the cowboys look like the only challenge and they'll be hella banged up by that point. They are such an older team at so many key positions. If we can stay healthy, we should be able to finish around 11-6 and with momentum pushing up, so I'm not too worried about this defense. It's going to come alive at some point and they'll be pissed off when they do. Even if we hit 9-8 we still finish on an uptick and should get the division and playoffs. I doubt any wildcards are coming out of the east.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

My preseason projection when looking at the schedule was to make it to week 4 at 2-2 and then week and then 6-6 by week 13. If we can do that I think our defense is awake and hitting stride by then. 5 straight division games and the cowboys look like the only challenge and they'll be hella banged up by that point. They are such an older team at so many key positions. If we can stay healthy, we should be able to finish around 11-6 and with momentum pushing up, so I'm not too worried about this defense. It's going to come alive at some point and they'll be pissed off when they do. Even if we hit 9-8 we still finish on an uptick and should get the division and playoffs. I doubt any wildcards are coming out of the east.

The Bills game is big.  I only see one "should" win and that's the Falcons. The rest are going to be toss ups based on the D waking up and our performance against the Bills. Chargers game maybe an indication of game one jitters or we are just not good right now. 

• Like 1