Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attendance

SkinsFan_07

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

The fans don’t have bite, apparently.

My take? Doc is paid by his own taskmasters to peddle this **** so Snyder has something or someone else to blame.

In terms of what though? Does he mean because fans don’t do whatever they can to make sure our stadium doesn’t get overran by opposing teams fans? 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

In terms of what though? Does he mean because fans don’t do whatever they can to make sure our stadium doesn’t get overran by opposing teams fans? 

That was how he made it sound, as if it’s the fault of the fans.

He also said if the team loses to the Bears, he’d be worried… like they’re not saying that in Chicago… 🤣

12 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Doc made a comment that the fans have gotten soft. 25 years of taking it to the chin will do that to you.

Doc’s a moron and it’s a sad state of affairs that he has any sort of platform if we’re being honest. The team and he deserve each other even if the fans don’t. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

“Soft” how? What does he even mean by that? 

I didn't hear Doc, but he remembers the glory days at RFK where people could take the subway which wasn't terribly far away from the stadium. Now the subway is a mile away and if you aren't willing and/or able to make that walk, you're paying $80 to get a friggin parking pass online when you add the taxes and fees. A poster on here took his wife and kid to the game and between the three tickets, parking, and some food, he was already out $600 before buying souvenirs. I can see why people don't want to pay that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

“Soft” how? What does he even mean by that? 

I figure our brains have been converted to mush-meal after having to sit thru that man announce pre-season games.

I still have not recovered.

Screw what Doc said. Anybody that has put up w/ the level of abuse this fanbase has and remains a fan is anything but soft. Were Crimes Johnson over here!

b9ajio.jpg.b801510e24291073eb5802d47c2372ec.jpg

• Haha 3

Yeah, like, I'd love to have the kind of atmosphere this team had at RFK in the '70s and '80s but what does Doc actually want from us here? As we've made abundantly clear: the stadium is a dump, and one bereft of any charm, in a bad location and houses a permanently mediocre franchise. Are we supposed to make the non-existent temporary bleachers rock? Are we supposed to have a goon squad in every section to keep the opposing fans out? 

• Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Yeah, like, I'd love to have the kind of atmosphere this team had at RFK in the '70s and '80s but what does Doc actually want from us here? As we've made abundantly clear: the stadium is a dump, and one bereft of any charm, in a bad location and houses a permanently mediocre franchise. Are we supposed to make the non-existent temporary bleachers rock? Are we supposed to have a goon squad in every section to keep the opposing fans out? 

Back in the day I used to get what Doc was saying as far as comparing us with, say, Eagles fans. Some Philly fans were loathsome to be sure, but as a whole they were intimidating because everyone who went to the games dressed in Eagles gear and could really get loud, and you just didn't see that at a lot of Skins games at FedEx, even when the place was relatively full. But now the issue is that we can't even get a decent crowd at the stadium for a nice October day. Aside from the team not being good, I think the combined pricing of everything has a lot to do with it, and the stadium's location is coming into play. For a good stretch prior to 2018, the team was dumping tickets onto the secondary market, and I think people were willing to pony up for expensive parking if they could get really cheap tickets. But the team isn't doing that anymore, and now people have to pay a good amount for both the tickets and the parking. And without a convenient mass transit option, this is why we're getting the low crowds we have been.

In the modern era I think there are a large amount of season ticket holders who view their tickets as a financial investment.  They probably gauge how good or bad the team will be and then look at the opponents coming to FedEx field and they know opposing fans will overpay to see their favorite team because it is the one chance per season (or every few seasons) they get to do it, especially in the visitors stadium.  So a lot of people are probably holding onto season tickets for the mere purpose of making money, and once the team is worth showing up for they will stop selling them and attending the games.  It isn't a FedEx field thing, just watch a game @ Cowboys, Charges, Raiders, Rams, etc etc...the 49ers are the one CA team that seem to have the loyal fan base that shows up but they are also a pretty good team lately for the most part, but I have attended WSH@SF games in the past for around $20 a ticket for lower level.   It happens. 

People like doc and theisman get paid to perform their act and part of it is staying in character. 

current players aren’t any better. If you pay attention they’ll tell you how awesome someone is - until public opinion has turned then they’ll tell you about all the warning signs they saw along the way. Fred Davis was probably my favorite example cause the way his story ended was so comical it couldn’t be imagined. 

yet the same people going on radio, or hosting in person fan events, would tell you how he was a stud at first, then how he couldn’t make it to practice on time or stay awake in meetings or understand his assignments once he was throwing drinks on madams 😂 

if you listen to a lot of these guys over a long period you’ll start to catch inside jokes. Sometimes you can figure out the joke, but even when you can’t you know there’s one going on you’re just not quite sure of the details. 

with all that said - a doc strikes me as a bright guy that plays a character very well, and is being paid well enough considering how little they all made in the 80’s creating what is now the NFL. 

theisman on the other hand strikes me as being himself 😂 

Pro tip - the best ones to listen to are the ones that no longer work for anyone that is directly or indirectly paid by the team, and are on low key podcasts where there’s no real rules anymore. 

It’s great catching the “oh so this is what really happened” stories that go on randomly 

Sheehan has them with Cooley, Thom, and Doc. And if you’ve listened to all 4 of them long enough it’s not hard to pick up on. 

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

In the modern era I think there are a large amount of season ticket holders who view their tickets as a financial investment.  They probably gauge how good or bad the team will be and then look at the opponents coming to FedEx field and they know opposing fans will overpay to see their favorite team because it is the one chance per season (or every few seasons) they get to do it, especially in the visitors stadium.  So a lot of people are probably holding onto season tickets for the mere purpose of making money, and once the team is worth showing up for they will stop selling them and attending the games.  It isn't a FedEx field thing, just watch a game @ Cowboys, Charges, Raiders, Rams, etc etc...the 49ers are the one CA team that seem to have the loyal fan base that shows up but they are also a pretty good team lately for the most part, but I have attended WSH@SF games in the past for around $20 a ticket for lower level.   It happens. 

Also - and we know Snyder does this (or did until the season ticket waiting list lie was over) but we don’t know who else does, maybe they all do - a lot of tickets are purchased by resellers and then sold on 3rd party sites. So, they sell for whatever they sell for. 

I had to quit going to games. But people continued to buy my tickets so I kept them. But one by one all my groups of friends stopped - cause why would they pay me full price when they can get better seats (and I had excellent seats!!) for like 10-20$ on the secondary market?

sure that once or twice a season you can make at or above asking because all the stars aligned did exist - but the rest of the season it was a joke. 

Mark the homer even tracked this theory back when he was actively posting and running the season ticket holder threads. He was very skeptical that there was anything positive about those few games that supposedly netted over asking. 

I believe he even tracked that most of what’s posted over asking price on those sites, never actually sold. 

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, ntotoro said:

The fans don’t have bite, apparently.

My take? Doc is paid by his own taskmasters to peddle this **** so Snyder has something or someone else to blame.

Doc is a dick for going after fans if that's true...even Chris Miller wouldn't sink that low to please Leonsis...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doc saying the fans are soft is laughable.  If anything it's the fans who spend obscene amounts of money regardless of how poor the product is that are the soft ones, and make no mistakes about it, it took 20+ years of Snyder to finally wear this fanbase down.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Between 2000-2012, i used to buy tickets from CL and resell them on eBay and make made profit but it got me through college.  Those away teams made me made bank

I’d take it easy on Doc. I don’t view him as puppet or anything like that at all. First of all, he has a role or schtick and he sticks to it, which is what good on air personalities do. 

Secondly, Doc is basically saying he’s not a quitter and he’s stuck with them so he has decided to stick it out forever— in other words he isn’t “soft” and can take whatever beating is next in store. 

Third, he often mentions not being mad at the kids because the parents are drunks. He says you probably can’t change the parents at this point, but you shouldn’t turn your back on the kids. Basically saying he likes the players still and enjoys rooting for them and hoping they do well despite the leadership above them. 

Doc’s one of the good ones. He and BMitch both boil the game down too simply sometimes— like all the players need to do is try harder or “punch someone in the mouth” and they will win more— but all in all, Doc is good by me and I’m glad he’s still around. 

• Thumb up 1

Ed, I don't listen to a lot of the local media much, but was at work during the first preseason game against Carolina and turned on the local broadcast with Kenny Albert doing PBP and Doc was doing color. On the very first play of the game Doc is complaining and I'm not exaggerating that the whole game was just a constant Doc ****fest. I wish I was making this up, but it was to the pont of being really off putting. The guy working with me wasn't even a Skins fan and he agreed. Sheehan was defending Doc on social media the next day, but I think it was a case of someone just sticking up for their buddy.

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Back in the day I used to get what Doc was saying as far as comparing us with, say, Eagles fans. Some Philly fans were loathsome to be sure, but as a whole they were intimidating because everyone who went to the games dressed in Eagles gear and could really get loud, and you just didn't see that at a lot of Skins games at FedEx, even when the place was relatively full. But now the issue is that we can't even get a decent crowd at the stadium for a nice October day. Aside from the team not being good, I think the combined pricing of everything has a lot to do with it, and the stadium's location is coming into play. For a good stretch prior to 2018, the team was dumping tickets onto the secondary market, and I think people were willing to pony up for expensive parking if they could get really cheap tickets. But the team isn't doing that anymore, and now people have to pay a good amount for both the tickets and the parking. And without a convenient mass transit option, this is why we're getting the low crowds we have been.

Metro really is not that far. 
its a hell of a lot  closer than any of the virginia sites……

49 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Metro really is not that far. 
its a hell of a lot  closer than any of the virginia sites……

I thought I read something where the Ashburn stadium location would be about half a mile from a future Silver Line stop (not there yet, but would be open by the timeframe of the new stadium). Not sure exactly how far from RFK the Stadium Armory site is, but half mile would be a significant improvement over the mile it takes from Morgan Blvd to FedEx.

15 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Doc made a comment that the fans have gotten soft. 25 years of taking it to the chin will do that to you.

I've heard him with that schtick before saying "I'm not built to quit," etc., etc., as if fans bailing out are "quitters." It's idiotic. Especially for those of us who've been here for awhile. 

I've said it many times before: It's not the continual LOSING that keeps people away and has people like me no longer investing anything emotionally in this team. I could continue to support an overall losing franchise FOREVER if I believed in its leadership and direction and felt some semblance of pride in what they were. But we are owned and run by the absolute biggest scumbag in all of sports. Not just a horrible owner, but a horrible human being with a now 20+ year track record here of scumbaggery and ineptitude. There's a reason soldiers have sometimes mutinied over the centuries; it's because they no longer have any faith in their leader and know he's going to get them killed for no good reason if they just continue to follow along blindly like good little soldiers. That's how I look at this situation. Not as people quitting out of "softness" or "cowardice." It's a mutiny. 

Saying this fan base is "soft" because of the drop-off over the years is insane. It's actually amazing it stayed as strong for as long as it did. I think it makes us HARD. Wait ... that doesn't sound right. But you hopefully know what I mean. It's a brave decision to say, "I'm going to forget about all this tradition crap and start looking out for myself a little bit and for what's right instead of trying to figure out new and inventive ways to convince myself that facts are fiction just so I can feel better temporarily about a football team."

New ownership I believe in on a simple level of human decency and competence, and I'll be back. Let Doc go back to his "war cliche thesaurus" in the meantime and continue talking about how "we need a hero" or "we need warriors" or "I need pelts" or whatever nonsense he's been peddling year after year. Besides, whenever he gets a chance to actually ask hard questions to people in the organization, he folds like our offensive line. 

• Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I thought I read something where the Ashburn stadium location would be about half a mile from a future Silver Line stop (not there yet, but would be open by the timeframe of the new stadium). Not sure exactly how far from RFK the Stadium Armory site is, but half mile would be a significant improvement over the mile it takes from Morgan Blvd to FedEx.

No metro in the prince william county sites

and the metro is almost 10 years behind schedule for the  airport .

i still think the best spot is one of these three

rfk in dc

popular point in dc

or the current site at fed ex

I get the point Doc is trying to make, but I don't think most fans have stopped watching the games, or aren't fans of the team anymore, it is more about how much time & money we are choosing to invest into the team when the product is consistently mediocre.  When I started to get into the NFL and sat down with my dad to watch the team every week, they were on the tail end of the Gibbs (1.0) era, and even just the 3-4 years I got to experience at 8-12 years old was enough to carry me through the following 20+ years of mediocrity.  I can't count the number of jerseys, merch, games, tailgates etc etc that I invested resources into.  Eventually I just got burned out on being hyped simply just to see them play and wanted to see them actually start to win.  Still waiting........