Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else beyond frustrated??

Giddy4Gibson

Very very bad day for us all around. I will say some of those conversions were exceptional throws by Herbert and not necessarily bad defense. But obviously setting a franchise record for third down conversions given up is an awful way for the defense to start. Chargers looked more prepared and comfortable than we did in all facets. It’s an L in the standings and a firm L for our players and staff— meaning no moral victories out there today. They got outcoached and outplayed. 

I would also add Scherff to the list. Up 16-13 and driving with total momentum. He had two penalties on the drive after we neared the red zone. Hopkins eventually missed the FG. That was the biggest spot of the game IMO. 

• Like 6

Frustrating?

Not really.

Disappointed?

Definately.

Sweat and Young are not gonna break the dual sack record with that kind of prestation.

All the Landon Collins hype disappeared with those 14/18 3rd down conversion.

Our D just played an awful game.

We got lucky they only scored 20 on us.

Really.

• Thanks 1

I don't think this game makes me think any different about the Chargers.  They are going to be a pretty good team, probably give the Chiefs some fits when all is said and done.  I am more concerned because I assumed WFT & Chargers were a bit even in their building & growth on a franchise level, however the Chargers won the game in almost every area.  Had it not been for a few key drops they might have had a bigger lead before half time.  I didn't expect Washington to hang with the big dawgs this season necessarily, but the Charges feel like that team that is in that tier just under the elite and I figured we would give them a bigger challenge.

Right now number one on the list of disappointment is the WFT defense that is supposed to be the strength of this team.  Outside of a few standout plays, they were pushed around the field all game long.  I am tired about the "four 1st rounders" narrative.  At some point you have to ignore where the players were drafted and see some results.  The way we keep being reminded about their draft position, you'd think it means that they will automatically be this crazy good D-line but as we know draft position doesn't determine how you be as an NFL player.  I understand that the defense isn't going to stop passes all the time, and great QB's have the ability to beat very good defenses, however there wasn't much give & take today in those situations, it felt very one-sided, and considering all the premier elite QBs on the schedule  this season............?

As far as the offense goes, I will give it an incomplete because with Fitz leading them it  looked pretty mediocre as far as passing went, but Heinecke came in and suddenly WRs were getting passes thrown to them, they were open etc etc etc.....this feels oddly similar (but also many ways different) to when Cousins took over for Robert (for the final time) and the offense suddenly looked much different.  Cousins did prove to be the ultimate answers just as I don't think Henicke is, but he might be the answer for right now until we draft or sign a young QB that can move around and actually make plays.  Until the O-line is upgraded I am not sure how Fitz is going to survive back there anyway once he comes back (if?)

Right now it appears that every team in the NFL has a better QB than any on our roster...even Sam Darnold and Jalen Hurts looked competent. And I am still not sold that Scott Turner is good enough to both devise the necessary offensive scheme for these offensive players or call the right offensive plays in live action.

I think my disappointment and frustration peaked when Gibson immediately fumbled after that wild fumble call that gave us the ball back. After that, I just thought "Eh, **** it, I know how this goes" and just suffered through to the end.

Mclaurin is still completely legit, though...even when dealing with our carousel of mediocrity at QB. He deserves so much better.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Only frustrated with the pass rush, everything is setup around them so if they don't perform we're going to get smoked in the secondary.

I'm worried we aren't as good on the D line as we think we are, good players, just not great.

This is the big thing. Our big money investments in the D sucked today(except for Jackson, who I think played a good game). Not just the DL, but guys like Collins and Fuller, who were both prime FA signings, sucked today. I won't kill St. Juste, a 3rd round rookie, for getting worked, but you need your big investments to play up to their salary and/or draft investment. Today none of them did(again except for Jackson, who should have exclusively been on Keenan Allen 1 on 1 the entire game).

• Like 1