Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy Football 2023

PleaseBlitz

• PleaseBlitz changed the title to Fantasy Football 2023 - Anyone want to join an ES league? Need at least 2 more

Additionally, the keepers in my lawyer auction keeper league just dropped.

I am keeping Jefferson ($38), Tyreek ($45) and Breece Hall ($24).  Jefferson was a no brainer, ESPN has his current auction value at $60.  Tyreek I went back and forth on, he's not a value (ESPN has him at $53), but I save a few bucks and get certainty.  Hall was the difficult one, ESPN has him going for $15, so he's a terrible value, but in keeper leagues the ESPN values are too low because they don't account for scarcity.  Plus, I can keep Hall again next year for $30 if he becomes a star, which is definitely in the realm of possible outcomes.

Turns out I was definitely right to keep Tyreek.  Of the top 21 WRs, only 8 weren't kept as keepers.  So whoever didn't keep 2 WRs are going to have to way overpay to get one of those 8.  

I have $92 left to play with.  My strategy is to nominate the really expensive guys first and get others to blow their budgets early on Ekeler, CMC, Bijan and Jonathan Taylor (who I can't afford anyways), then get 1 mid level RBs like Aaron Jones, and also get both backs in Detroit.  I think Gibbs is vastly undervalued, even thought he was the 12th overall pick, because Bijan went so high and got all the attention.  Detroit has a very good OL and had THE MOST team rushing yards by running backs in the league last year. 

For QB (4 pts per TD pass), I'm going to nominate guys in the Kirk Cousins/Daniel Jones/Tua tier in the middle of the draft and see if I can get one of those guys for $1.  If I can get a serviceable top 10-12 QB for $1, that's be great.  If I can't, that means other teams already spent money on a QB and won't be willing to spend on the 2 guys I really want, one of which is Burrow. 

Then I'll fill it out with cheap guys.

18 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’ll jump in. My preference is an auction, but I’m flexible.

Added!  This may actually happen. 

Lets start talking rules. 

I’m thinking 1\2 pt PPR. 6 points QB TDs. 

Plus 1 point for going over 100 rushing or receiving yards and 1 point for going over 150. 

Likewise plus 1 point at 350 passing yards and 1 point at 400. 

• PleaseBlitz changed the title to Fantasy Football 2023 - Anyone want to join an ES league? NEED 1 MORE!

10 team auction keeper went almost exactly to plan. 

QB-Burrow. Only $12!  Lamar Jackson went for $16 and Josh Allen went for $30. 

RBs- Both Detroit backs. I think Gibbs is going to be a star, but also got Montgomery just in case. 
Both Denver backs. I’m betting Sean Payton fixes the offense, but don’t entirely trust Jevonte’s knee. 
Breece Hall-keeper from last year. 
Eli Mitchell, one CMC injury away from awesomeness. $3
Tyler whatever on the Falcons.  Bijan cant handle 400 touches himself. $1
Kareem Hunt. $1 flyer. He’ll end up somewhere. $1

WRs- Justin Jefferson and Tyreek. Both keepers from last year. I clearly have the best WR duo in the league. Also grabbed Courtland Sutton and Kadarius Toney. 

Saved money on TEs but ended up with Tyler Higbee because everyone else ran out of money. Also took Dalton Kincaid. Both for $1. 

Only guy I wanted that I didn’t get was Quentin Johnson. Rookie WRs go cheap and become the best keepers if they hit. 

We dont bother with kickers or defense. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

This is probably the worst fantasy football column I've ever seen by someone who is actually paid to write them (as opposed to some amateur with a blog).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/08/24/fantasy-football-risk-rankings/

The riskiest fantasy football players to draft this season

Injury Risks

CMC

Davante Adams

Joe Burrow

Over the past 2 seasons, these three players have played every game in 5 of those 6 seasons (CMC missed 5 games in 2021).  Adams had an ankle sprain but returned to practice a few days later.  Burrow has a calf strain which isn't considered serious.  CMC has no known current injuries.  

Age-related concerns

Derrick Henry - "Henry’s rushing yards per game has declined from a career high of 126.7 in 2020 to 117.1 in 2021 and 96.1 in 2022."  Okay, well, 126.7 yards per game is unsustainable and Henry was the offensive POY that year and had over 2000 yards on the ground.  OF COURSE he's going to go down from there. The 96 .1 yards last year were SECOND MOST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE, second only to Josh Jacobs.  Keep in mind, Henry is going in the 2nd round (12th overall on Yahoo). 

Calvin Ridley - Ridley is 28.  Of the top 12 receivers by yards last year, half were 28 or older (Hill, Adams, Diggs, Kelce, Cooper and Evans). Ridley's concern isn't his age, it's that he took a long hiatus. 

Aaron Jones - Also 28, and he's a LATE third rounder.  Last year had over 1,500 yards from scrimmage (but only 7 TDs) in a mediocre offense. The Packers didn't add any notable RBs, so they must feel ok with him. 

Opportunity risk

Rhamondre Stevenson - WHAT?  Zeke will snake some goal line work, but Stevenson is THE GUY, and he's not being valued in the elite tier of RBs.  He's being valued roughly the same as Dameon Pierce, who had 5 total TDs last year. 

Breece Hall - This one I kind of agree with, but how to do you write a column saying 28 year olds are in line for a steep decline, and then say Cook, a 28 year old, is going to command a significant workload once Hall is back to form?

DeAndre Hopkins - I kind of agree with this one too, but again, how are you going to say Henry is washed but the Titans are still going to be so run heavy that Nuk won't get his?  

Edited by PleaseBlitz

Don't know if I like or hate my team.  I tend to do better if I just let the computer draft for me. 

10-man league/ H2H, we have defensive players but won't put them here.

QB: Mahomes, Jones, Pickett (we all know whom I am going to start barring injuries)

RB: Jocabs, Mattinson, Brian Robinson, Dobbins 

WR: Waddle, Deebo Samuel, Hopkins, and Pittman Jr

TE: Freiemuth (Pit), Ertz (hoping he would come back from Injuries strong)

K: Butker

Def: Steelers, Dolphins

Definitely going to keep an eye on the FA list throughout the season.

Edited by Maxito

On 9/2/2023 at 8:10 PM, Maxito said:

Don't know if I like or hate my team.  I tend to do better if I just let the computer draft for me. 

10-man league/ H2H, we have defensive players but won't put them here.

QB: Mahomes, Jones, Pickett (we all know whom I am going to start barring injuries)

RB: Jocabs, Mattinson, Brian Robinson, Dobbins 

WR: Waddle, Deebo Samuel, Hopkins, and Pittman Jr

TE: Freiemuth (Pit), Ertz (hoping he would come back from Injuries strong)

K: Butker

Def: Steelers, Dolphins

Definitely going to keep an eye on the FA list throughout the season.

Why would you pick Mahomes and TWO other QBs?  You will never start either Jones or Pickett over Mahomes.  During a bye week, you can just grab a free agent with the best matchup that week.  Drop Jones and Pickett and pick up two lottery tickets, or guys that are an injury away from a huge workload.

I like your RBs.  I think your WRs are okay, not great.  You should be set at TE, and may have a trade chip if Ertz works out by midseason. 

On 9/5/2023 at 5:01 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Why would you pick Mahomes and TWO other QBs?  You will never start either Jones or Pickett over Mahomes.  During a bye week, you can just grab a free agent with the best matchup that week.  Drop Jones and Pickett and pick up two lottery tickets, or guys that are an injury away from a huge workload.

I like your RBs.  I think your WRs are okay, not great.  You should be set at TE, and may have a trade chip if Ertz works out by midseason. 

I guess the way my league is set up I had to draft two other QBs (I waited until later rounds to pick up Jones an Pickett).  Not planning to start Jones or Pickett throughout the season (Barring injuries) except the by week.  There are roster limits for my league I am only allowed to pick 4 rb and wr.  I'm regretting not picking up Metcalf. The reason why I chose Deebo was because they use him in some cases in the running game.   I see Odell in the FA pool waiting to be claimed, I'm thinking of releasing Pittman for Odel.  

I personally think Odell is washed, he's averaged about 425 yards and 4 TDs per year the past 2 years, but I guess he's as good a flyer as any.  

Meanwhile, I'm still on the Kadarius Toney train(wreck).  He'll probably get a season-ending injury Week 1, but the talent is there and if he becomes the #1 WR for Mahomes for any significant period of time, that'd be a pretty good situation for a guy I picked up for $1.  

Got my auction draft in about an hour and a half. 12 teams. 1 QB/2 RB/4 WR/1 TE/1 Flex/1 Superflex. Any good advice? I used to do quite well but had a bad year last year and looking to bounce back. My strategy is to build around a stud RB while not going too crazy on WRs since there is so much depth at the position. I basically ignore TE unless I can get Kelce for good value and try to find a rising potential star QB that has scramble ability that I can get for relatively low price(ironically Howell might be that guy).

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Got my auction draft in about an hour and a half. 12 teams. 1 QB/2 RB/4 WR/1 TE/1 Flex/1 Superflex. Any good advice? I used to do quite well but had a bad year last year and looking to bounce back. My strategy is to build around a stud RB while not going too crazy on WRs since there is so much depth at the position. I basically ignore TE unless I can get Kelce for good value and try to find a rising potential star QB that has scramble ability that I can get for relatively low price(ironically Howell might be that guy).

I did my keeper auction league last week and kinda love my team.  Tonight I have my brand new 8 team snake draft for people in my neighborhood.  I haven't done a snake draft in like 7 years, but 3 of the people in that league don't really watch football and just want to play because I am good at sales and they are bad at making good choices while drunk.  

I've never done a Superflex league, but my understanding is you have to get one of the top dog QBs.  I'm very high on Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence this year, and I got Joe Burrow at a deep discount because he missed time due to a calf injury, but c'mon, does anyone really think a calf injury is worth discounting Joe Burrow?  Richardson could be this year's Justin Fields, tons of rushing, very limited passing.  Still, some people have argued that he's the most athletic QB ever and among the most athletic players ever at any position.  . 

I'm also a big time believer in Jahmyr Gibbs and will almost certainly get him again this year, given where my picks land and his ADP.  He's a high first round pick in a really good offense, but all the hype went to Bijan because he went so high in the draft.  

My strategy in my auction was get 2 top tier WRs who I'll never bench (Jefferson and Tyreek, both keepers, but cost me $80 of my $200 budget), get a solid QB, then pick a zillion RBs because they get injured and late round guys can pop if they get the opportunity, so I want as many bites at that apple as possible.  

I spent $2 total on 2 TEs.  Highbee should be a respectable starter, and Dalton Kincaid has the potential to be a star, but rookie TEs don't start fast.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz

Yeah Lawrence is my go to at QB this year. He's more of a scrambling threat then people give him credit for, he's gonna have Ridley as a target, and his division is cake so he should have six feast games a year. I like Burrow too but he's already hurt(I know its not that major, but still), isn't the same rushing threat, plays in a much tougher division with three real good defenses, and has more hype on him(meaning he'll more likely be overpaid on).

I like Gibbs a lot too, actually more than Robinson as far as rookie RBs go because the Falcon backfield is actually kinda stacked and he might split some carries.

I don't like going all in at WR because there are just so many good ones. I think I'd rather have four good WRs then two elite ones and two mediocre ones. Dotson is one of my WR targets this year. Also love Olave, should rack up a high volume of receptions especially now with a legit QB in Carr.

At TE I might just gamble on like Cole Turner as my starter "lolol". I'm with you on on not allocating anything of note at the position unless Kelce for some reason becomes super cheap due to his injury and even then I'm not sure. He's over 30 and I feel like he's kinda "due" to regress a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Still time to join my survivor group, message me if interested. $5 entry.

I could be enticed by that.

Also if anyone like pickem leagues with no spreads, I co-run one of those.  $180 buy-in but win one week and you win that back.  Pays out 5 places and winner gets >$3k

• PleaseBlitz changed the title to Fantasy Football 2023

Alright, neighborhood 8 teamer with snake draft. I had the 8th pick, which is the spot I dislike the 2nd most (behind first slot). 

Had to reach for a few guys since I had so long between picks, and had one turn where I didn’t like anyone, which really sucks when you have 2 picks in a row. At least Tyreek somehow fell to me at the beginning. This is why I prefer auctions. 

IMG_0437.png

So here's how my auction draft went. 12 teams. 1 QB/2 RB/4 WR/1 TE/1 Flex/1 OP(essentially a 2nd QB).

Justin Herbert

JK Dobbins

Travis Etienne

Ceedee Lamb

Jaylen Waddle

George Pickens

Marquise Brown

Kyle Pitts

Skyy Moore

Jordan Love

Bench:

Quentin Johnston

Gus Edwards

Rashod Bateman

D'onta Foreman

Tank Bigsby

For the most part I like my draft. I hated taking Marquise Brown, honestly was just trying to drive up the price on a guy who at the time only had 1 WR(when I had 3)but he didn't bite. $9 isn't a lot though and I figure someone has to catch passes on that Cardinal team. Pitts might be a bit of a trap, I really wanted Hockenson but he ended up going for like $20 or something so I think Pitts for $10 might be better value, especially going into year 3. My bench strategy is to look for handcuffs for popular RBs and I have both my teams RB backups just in case they get hurt. They'll likely be waiver fodder though. Johnston might do well especially since I have Herbert too for some possible double dip action.