Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

11 hours ago, moondog said:

Was aimed more at the masses but a lot of folks on here always overvalue our guys and think we can’t get away with them on the ps yet every year there’s a couple of guys that we do that are preseason darlings. 

Agree some guys people have thought would be snatched in the end weren't.   And heck we've had some players make it to the practice squad and end up getting play time later with the team and have stuck.  See Cam Sims, Chris Thompson, Matt Ionnaidis

It's possible someone like Milne could be snuck on the practice squad, I'd say though chances are they don't pull it off.  But its certainly possible.  Sometimes we lose players, too.  I recall Cooley years back before they did it saying don't try to put Austin Reiter on the practice squad he showed too much in the preseason.  They tried it.  He was snapped.  Actually ended up having a good career elsewhere including winning a SB ring.   

As Keim among others have said, some of the guys they let go at Wr and CB in particular might get snapped up -- those spots in particular are hard calls for them internally supposedly.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Whoa...you serious? I love RR but Joe Gibbs in on a different planet than RR right now.

I really should preface my statement by stating my mindset on this comment.

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Until some coach wins 4 Superbowls; they will not surpass Gibbs as our Coach Goat.

I would say Ron us closer to getting the eventual boot than contending to be the new goat.

OK, I totally understand that I may have gushed a bit in that last statement, and like terpfan said, should pump the brakes a little. Maybe so. But Gibbs Is a totally different time for me. It was 40 years ago. It was a whole different time and a whole different life. I was just a teen. Don't get me wrong, it was the greatest time of my life as a Redskin fan. My family and I watched every game together. And if we weren't around a TV, we listened to it on the radio.

I was working with my pops, building a barn in the snow, the day Mark Mosley kicked the field goal against the Giants with 4 seconds left on the clock to win the game and send us to the playoffs. I didn't actually see the kick, or watch Joe Theisman hug Mosley and jump around, but I heard it on the radio of dad's work van, and I heard the crowd at RFK go wild, and we jumped around and hugged each other. It was a different time and a different feeling to me. I expected to win after that with Gibbs and he delivered.

Add to this, with every Superbowl win Gibbs accumulated as coach of the Redskins, Jack Kent Cooke and his classy-ass-mug were always standing next to him hoisting the Lombardi. It couldn't be more perfect.

Now, decades later, we are in the wilderness. It's been cold, bleak and dark for years and years. RFK is no more. JKC is no more. The Redskins name is no more. And our reputation and greatness are a thing of the distant past. 

But now we have hope in a new coach by the name if Ron Rivera. Riverboat Ron. A guy with morals, values and class. We have a slew of great coaches along with him. We have a great front office, and a new field. We have, in 1 year, weeded through a roster of average, ordinary players to piece together a core of exceptionally skilled leaders. Guys that have the heart and class of their head coach, and the esprit de corps to bring it all in for the BIG WIN.

I don't know how this season will pan out, but I believe in Rivera-the-man. And I believe that he's one of the very few, if not the only coach in the NFL to do what needs to be done to this team to get us back to greatness. But just think of the superlative achievement it would be to win a Superbowl under Rivera. Gibbs never had to face what Rivera walked into. Not in any of his years with the team. Where we were when Rivera started, to a Superbowl win(depending on time frame) would probably have to propel Ron to the Pantheon of greats like Gibbs. Maybe not GOAT, lol.

I am not by any means taking anything away from Joe Gibbs. And I don't think there is a Redskins fan alive that doesn't thank God or their higher power that he was our coach when Sean Taylor was killed. But Rivera is that same caliber of man. And him leading this team back to greatness, even if only once, would be nothing less than Gibbs-great.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Morneblade said:

The only way something like that happens is that:

1. We look like Tampa. Loaded everywhere, but QB.

2. Said QB wants to make a statement about how good he is. Take a team that has been bad for awhile and then win a SB with them. Showing everyone just how good he is.

Maybe so.  I think overall this team is still considered a perennial NFL loser -- bottom rung franchise.  Yes the arrow is pointing up but this isn't the first rodeo with preseason optimism and new beginnings hype.   The Packers on the other hand is considered a perennial winner.  Speaking in terms of the last 30 years.

Rivera, Chase Young, etc give this team perhaps a different vibe.  But you still got the hangover of Dan, losing, and the perception that the team has lost a lot and done so with no class.  Then you got the stadium, the facilities and the perception that fans have checked out.  GB today has the rabid fan base that the WFT had in the 80s-90s.  The WFT fan base today more mirrors the weak fan bases like Jax where stadiums go unfilled and overrun by opposing teams fans.

I believe in Ron and Jason Wright but I don't think they can overturn the perception of this brand to the extent that Rodgers would want to come here unless this season comes off different for this franchise.  Even other teams we could consider losers have had some glimpses of real success that this franchise hasn't had under Dan.  Denver for example is compared to our team as a possibility.  It's probably a similar team as far as talent.  But Denver has done a ton more than the WFT did under Dan including winning a SB, having a whole bunch of seasons where they won more than 10 games, etc.

I recall some on a different thread years ago making fun of the Browns rebuild because in their eyes it didn't produce quick enough results.  At the time, we were experiencing our version of the glory years under Dan which was going multiple seasons around 8-8.    Yet the Browns achieved something Dan never has, a season beating 10 wins, and by some considered a real SB threat and a loaded roster.  I recall where they were considered a joke.  No more.

My point is I think we got to be considered one of the three perennial loser franchises in the NFL over the last three decades.  So yeah I'd be surprised if Rodgers wants to come here.  Heck Russell Wilson grew up a WFT fan, coming from Richmond, and we didn't make his list of teams he'd want to play for.  And this is coming after a playoff season granted a 7-9 season. 

For a shot at Rodgers, I don't think it could be hey we went 9-8, missed the playoffs but we got an excuse with our tough schedule.    It would fit too much the business as usual narrative about this team which is on occasion they can be marginally successful but that's Mount Everest for this franchise.  You got to break that pattern.  Go 11-6 and or win a playoff game or two.  I think the NFL knows that on occasion this team can go 9-7 or 10-6 but then lose to the big boys in the playoffs.   I think Rodgers is looking for more.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

ESPN on the first round prospects through the eyes of their beat reporters, here are some of them

2. Zach Wilson, QB, New York Jets

Wilson has been everything the Jets envisioned when they drafted him. He has impressed with his tangibles (quick release and arm strength) and intangibles (poise and work ethic). Coach Robert Saleh said Wilson is "light years ahead of normal rookies" when it comes to preparation and study habits. Wilson has taken every first-team rep since the spring and, barring injury, will be the Week 1 starter.

He handled the first two preseason games with relative ease, although he did face predominantly backups. It was good for his confidence, and it's helping his teammates become believers. You couldn't ask for a smoother transition. -- Rich Cimini

11. Justin Fields, QB, Chicago Bears

Overall, Fields has enjoyed a productive preseason. The quarterback still has some choppy moments, but his elite speed and ability to keep plays alive outside of the pocket stand out. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that he will one day be a successful franchise quarterback. Any bad is far outweighed by the good.

The Bears will be tempted to play Fields early in the season, especially if veteran Andy Dalton gets off to a rocky start. -- Jeff Dickerson

dal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

12. Micah Parsons, LB, Dallas Cowboys

Expectations are always high for a Cowboys first-round pick, yet Parsons has exceeded them so far. The Cowboys keep giving him more and more, and he continues to respond and make plays. He said he is growing more comfortable each day in the scheme, but the similarities to what he did at Penn State have helped.

"I kind of understand every coverage we're in, why we're running it, what situations we'll be in," Parsons said. "I can say, and me and [defensive coordinator Dan Quinn] talked about this the other day, it's like I understand what we're trying to do, but now I want to understand what they're trying to do against me." -- Todd Archer

15. Mac Jones, QB, New England Patriots

Veteran offensive tackle Trent Brown summed up the excitement in some corners of the locker room about Jones when he said: "I think he can be special. To be so young, he makes some throws not a lot of young guys can make."

Jones has played 77 snaps over two preseason games and is 26-of-38 for 233 yards, with no touchdowns or interceptions -- showing excellent command in the two-minute offense, which is a staple of the Patriots' attack. Some in the organization believe he is further along in his knowledge at this point than any other rookie quarterback the team has had in the Bill Belichick era. -- Mike Reiss

19. Jamin Davis, LB, Washington Football Team

Davis has been working as the middle linebacker in the base defense but has not been with the starters in the nickel package. Because he's responsible for calling signals and making adjustments, there are times when he seems to be thinking too much and hesitates. His speed in coverage has been noticeable, and there are times he's able to show it in the run game, filling a gap decisively.

In the preseason opener, Davis was hesitant and took some false steps that got him out of position. He improved in this area in the second preseason game. Coach Ron Rivera said Davis also must get used to reading plays while the quarterback is under center, something he rarely had to do in college. -- John Keim

20. Kadarius Toney, WR, New York Giants

The problem with Toney is that nobody has seen him do much in live drills (for a variety of reasons) since the day he was drafted. Toney was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list prior to training camp, and he has spent the past couple of weeks working with the rehabbing players with what appears to be a minor injury. It has undoubtedly slowed his acclimation.

Coach Joe Judge said that Toney is "progressing," but until he gets on the field regularly, it's impossible to predict what (or if) he will contribute early this season. -- Jordan Raanan

24. Najee Harris, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Harris has been everything the Steelers thought he'd be when they selected him with their first-round pick -- and then some. He impressed the team out of the gate during rookie minicamp with a tireless work ethic, earning praise from Ben Roethlisberger for his habit of staying at the facility so late that coaches had to tell him to go home.

Though Harris is averaging only 3.5 yards per carry in the preseason, he has shown playmaking ability. He also has shown his value in the receiving game, turning a short pass from Roethlisberger into a 46-yard gain against the Lions. Harris' talent is undeniable, and he'll be the Steelers' three-down back. -- Brooke Pryor

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/32071629/nfl-first-round-pick-progress-reports-how-all-32-rookies-performed-training-camp-plus-outlook-2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudhog said:

OK, I totally understand that I may have gushed a bit in that last statement, and like terpfan said, should pump the brakes a little. Maybe so. But Gibbs Is a totally different time for me. It was 40 years ago. It was a whole different time and a whole different life. I was just a teen. Don't get me wrong, it was the greatest time of my life as a Redskin fan. My family and I watched every game together. And if we weren't around a TV, we listened to it on the radio.

I was working with my pops, building a barn in the snow, the day Mark Mosley kicked the field goal against the Giants with 4 seconds left on the clock to win the game and send us to the playoffs. I didn't actually see the kick, or watch Joe Theisman hug Mosley and jump around, but I heard it on the radio of dad's work van, and I heard the crowd at RFK go wild, and we jumped around and hugged each other. It was a different time and a different feeling to me. I expected to win after that with Gibbs and he delivered.

Add to this, with every Superbowl win Gibbs accumulated as coach of the Redskins, Jack Kent Cooke and his classy-ass-mug were always standing next to him hoisting the Lombardi. It couldn't be more perfect.

Now, decades later, we are in the wilderness. It's been cold, bleak and dark for years and years. RFK is no more. JKC is no more. The Redskins name is no more. And our reputation and greatness are a thing of the distant past. 

But now we have hope in a new coach by the name if Ron Rivera. Riverboat Ron. A guy with morals, values and class. We have a slew of great coaches along with him. We have a great front office, and a new field. We have, in 1 year, weeded through a roster of average, ordinary players to piece together a core of exceptionally skilled leaders. Guys that have the heart and class of their head coach, and the esprit de corps to bring it all in for the BIG WIN.

I don't know how this season will pan out, but I believe in Rivera-the-man. And I believe that he's one of the very few, if not the only coach in the NFL to do what needs to be done to this team to get us back to greatness. But just think of the superlative achievement it would be to win a Superbowl under Rivera. Gibbs never had to face what Rivera walked into. Not in any of his years with the team. Where we were when Rivera started, to a Superbowl win(depending on time frame) would probably have to propel Ron to the Pantheon of greats like Gibbs. Maybe not GOAT, lol.

I am not by any means taking anything away from Joe Gibbs. And I don't think there is a Redskins fan alive that doesn't thank God or their higher power that he was our coach when Sean Taylor was killed. But Rivera is that same caliber of man. And him leading this team back to greatness, even if only once, would be nothing less than Gibbs-great.

Sorry but just say we disagree. Gibbs great is 3 Super Bowl wins and I doubt any coach under Snyder will win more than one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudhog said:

Well said...I'm picturing you and your dad jumping around hugging each other in the snow by the family van. What a memory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, my_friend_goo said:

It's a cool story that the once slightly overbearing student with an opinion on everything on the NFL UK forum is now lead analyst for PFF. While I'd love for him to be correct on this occasion and I feel the team is definitely trending in the right direction, I do see this as a bit of a stretch.

I don't follow the guy, but his assertion that Fitzpatrick is good enough to get us to the championship game makes me think he hasn't changed at all, only he now hides behind next gen stats to justify his own opinions, which aren't really any more accurate than the average talking head that makes these bold assertions.

Was he the guy persuading our fanbase (and me) that Haskins was the real deal heading into his second season?

A coach with a 7-9 career record here should not be mentioned in the same breath as a guy who won 3 different super bowls with 3 different qbs and consistently had his team among the best in the NFL over his 13 year career.  I'm excited for this new era too, but RR has a long way to go before he deserves that level of praise.

14 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Are we still allowed to trade Sherff, thought there was a trade deadline for Franchise Tagged players?. 

We can still trade him, we just can't sign him to a long term deal.  That deadline was July 15th.  Yannick Ngakoue was tagged last year, and traded in October, so it's possible.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Jericho said:

Kind of weird to bring back Toth this soon. He's not subject to waivers, but you couldn't have made this move a few days ago? Maybe Hemingway was still injured and that was the reason, to avoid an injury settlement.

But remember when beat writers thought Hemingway was the possible #2 TE? Man the depth at that position sucks. TE, RB, and LB are problem areas if one key guy goes down.

To be honest kind of feels like Rivera just changing his mind on how many OLs he wanted for the last preseason game. 15 gives them a full three deep across the line.

Also I think means they are pretty confident the #4 TE will be Reyes or RSJ and they want to see plenty of both of them. 

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Was he the guy persuading our fanbase (and me) that Haskins was the real deal heading into his second season?

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-case-for-building-around-redskins-qb-dwayne-haskins-051648320.html?guce_referrer=ahr0chm6ly93d3cuz29vz2xllmnvbs8&guce_referrer_sig=aqaaafo5ixkvarbedekusu0j-lpgx4fdae3b6ty4ez8todiuf8eagoxtatxjjzrujq5iwhlq4lz8opbpsfynflpzbjae2wszlb_t5hs8zkzby_u3l5ga6qzarhhlmlxai6qsq65bu65nd2naknl-jfa8xrw1e7tgfad60brpoveeqnsf

Maybe.

Not exactly a full on cheerleader for him in that article, but he might well have said a lot more on the topic elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

Probably the same thing they said last year....or the year before that...or the year before that.  lol

Kevin Sheehan had a guy on his podcast or radio show, who I think works for the Cowboys as a reporter or something.  Maybe he's just a reporter who covers the cowboys.  

Whoever he was, and apparently he's been doing this a while, he came off as the Cowboys equivalent of Larry Michael (no S, just Larry Michael. Thank you Fred Smoot.)

In listening to him talk, you would have thought the Cowboys had won every superbowl since 1996, that the only reason they didn't win last year is because Mike Nolan was an idiot (which he isn't wrong about, but there were other issues as well), and that there is no chance whatsoever that anybody else will win this year because Dak's absolutely fine, everybody is healthy, and they should just cancel the season and give the Lombardi to the Cowboys.

And I was really disappointed in Sheehan for not actually calling him out on his bull crap.  

It was, at the same time, both hysterical and nauseating.  

Oh, and Jerry is the greatest gift to owners of all time, and Dan Quinn is the best defensive coordinator since Buddy Ryan.  Blech.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

A coach with a 7-9 career record here should not be mentioned in the same breath as a guy who won 3 different super bowls with 3 different qbs and consistently had his team among the best in the NFL over his 13 year career.  I'm excited for this new era too, but RR has a long way to go before he deserves that level of praise.

We can still trade him, we just can't sign him to a long term deal.  That deadline was July 15th.  Yannick Ngakoue was tagged last year, and traded in October, so it's possible.

Also, there are plenty of coaches who have just won a Superbowl and some that have won 2.  3 or more is greatness. When Ron wins his third Superbowl with us or somewhere else; then he can b e mentioned in the same breath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RR is not naming a QB heh.

Maybe he will do what I often suggest may be good that day our offense stinks donkey balls. Try a different QB for a series - throw a curveball instead of sticking to the failed game plan for the entire game. We sub out countless players and I get it the OL need to hear the same cadence blah blah blah cry me a river somehow subs and backup players forced in across the board often do just fine.

Maybe Ron intends to use both QBs.  I want to be frist dammit.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Kevin Sheehan had a guy on his podcast or radio show, who I think works for the Cowboys as a reporter or something.  Maybe he's just a reporter who covers the cowboys.  

Whoever he was, and apparently he's been doing this a while, he came off as the Cowboys equivalent of Larry Michael (no S, just Larry Michael. Thank you Fred Smoot.)

In listening to him talk, you would have thought the Cowboys had won every superbowl since 1996, that the only reason they didn't win last year is because Mike Nolan was an idiot (which he isn't wrong about, but there were other issues as well), and that there is no chance whatsoever that anybody else will win this year because Dak's absolutely fine, everybody is healthy, and they should just cancel the season and give the Lombardi to the Cowboys.

And I was really disappointed in Sheehan for not actually calling him out on his bull crap.  

It was, at the same time, both hysterical and nauseating.  

Oh, and Jerry is the greatest gift to owners of all time, and Dan Quinn is the best defensive coordinator since Buddy Ryan.  Blech.  

I talked about it some the other day here.  But yeah agree he was a big time homer. I don't think Sheehan called him out in part because he oddly seems to have a cup is half full outlook on the other three teams in the division and this team is the cup is half empty one but he hedges on that from time to time.

Like you, I like Sheehan, he's probably my fav radio personality but he has some really weird for him (because he typically leans usually closer to the homer side) passive aggressive thing going on about the division, where he seems to want to boost the other teams in the division and downplay this team but then he from time to time hedges to cover any possibility.

I thought it was funny when a NY Giants beat guy was on his show the other day, the reporter downplays Daniel Jones, then Sheehan tried to boost him.

In different segments, Sheehan has said he's a Daniel Jones believer but from time to time hedges.  And lately he's doing the same witth Jalen Hurts and talks about how the Eagles can win the division.  In different segments with him its about people sleeping on the Giants and Eagles.  And then once in awhile he hedges on it. 

On the WFT he goes this is one of the most loaded rosters in their recent history.  But on another segment seemed to hint he will bet the under on the WFT win total and also predicted 7-10.  In other segments he said he might bet on the Eagles and Giants going over the oddsmakers win total projections.   In one segement he said Barkley is the best player in the division outside of the QBs. 

In other segments, he's downplayed Terry, talked about Chase not living up to his billing in the playoff game, argues that WFT didn't give Tampa their hardest game in the playoffs.  It seems like he really really really wants to say its an overrated roster and worst team in the division but doesn't want to say it outright because either he knows he could be wrong and or take some flak from his callers. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In other segments, he's downplayed Terry, talked about Chase love up to his billing in the playoffs, argues that WFT didn't give Tampa their hardest game in the playoffs.  It seems like he really really really wants to say its an overrated roster and worst team in the division but doesn't want to say it outright because either he knows he could be wrong and or take some flak from his callers. 

Maybe as simple as him hedging his bets in case hes wrong?