Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think Thomas, Bates, and Reyes is a pretty firm bet for the final roster. A little raw in depth, but nice upside. Excited about this group.

Yeah, me too.  Who knows what happens, but it’s the most promising TE group in a long while - a good one in Thomas at the top of the chart, Bates with sticky mitts, good size and blocking ability, and Reyes with excellent athleticism mixed with physicality and heart.  And they’re all under contract for 3+ years.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

3rd guy was Hemingway.

4th guy was Marcus Baugh.

For the season, Hemingway had 1 reception for 10 yards, Baugh had 1 reception for 2 yards, and Sprinkle with 1 reception for 6 yards.

Quite a tandem, eh ?

And not a single flag for roughing the linebacker.  That's where Reyes comes in.  Flip the script.  

Milne was a guy I talked about once in awhile before the draft.  He was tough to miss because when you watched Zach Wilson's best throws -- Milne was usually the guy on the other side of them.  Elite hands.  Acrobatic catches.  He's not that spry-fast.  But he could get open and has big time reliable hands.   While he's not fast, I think he seperates better than AGG.

AGG should be interesting.  From what I've heard what works for him is he was one of Scott Turner's draft crushes and he pounded the table for him.   All the WRs in the camp practices I watched looked good including AGG but at the same time nothing really stood out to me about AGG.   My point is I don't think I'd be shocked if Milne beats AGG.  I didn't think Harmon would beat AGG because AGG was from this regime not the prior one even though to my eyes AGG didn't look better in the practices I watched.  But that same point doesn't imply to Milne who was also drafted by the same regime.  I don't know if Milne makes it to the practice squad if they try to put him there, you'd figure the Jets maybe if they have room would snag him for Zach. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Regrading AGG, his college tape looked fine. His interviews showed well too, but at a certain point, you just have to perform on the field and he hasn’t so far.

He has been injured, or a pass is dropped or a throw his way is off the mark. If he is competing with guys who are just as green and talented but those guys show something/anything on the field then you almost have to go with them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dyst said:

Regrading AGG, his college tape looked fine. His interviews showed well too, but at a certain point, you just have to perform on the field and he hasn’t so far.

He has been injured, or a pass is dropped or a throw his way is off the mark. If he is competing with guys who are just as green and talented but those guys show something/anything on the field then you almost have to go with them.

I assume by interviews you mean media interviews, agree, but most players sound fine on that front.  In interviews, he comes off a bit quiet but interesting with his multiple hobbies, etc.  As for his college tape, which I watched quite a bit of -- he's a contested ball/high point the ball/big catch radius kind of dude IMO.  Sort of like the idea was with Doctson from TCU albeit Doctson didn't work out but some with that type of skill clearly do work out.

My first impression watching Gandy-Golden's college games at the time was a maybe but leaned negative.  I was worried for a dude who played in an inferior division, he wasn't hot as far as seperating, and I was worried about how that would translate to the NFL.   He could bully with his size defenders and get behind CBs for big plays but it wasn't always with major seperation.  So could he bully NFL players the same as NCAA college players?  I wondered.   

Then on 2nd watch, I talked myself into him, didn't love him still but could see him working out.  Now I am not sure.  I heard several times he was lousy in training camp last year.  Cooley really slammed him in his film reviews.  Granted though he had a rough off season wtih COVID and then got hurt early in the season.  In the practices I watched he had some nice catches but nothing really jumped about him that seperated him in my eyes from Harmon, Carter, Milne, etc.

I'd like to see him kill it in a practice or a game.  I'd feel better about him if that happened versus a flash here and there.  But he's a young player, I am open minded.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There always has to be an element of patience with guys, too. AGG came into the team in a COVID mess of a situation at one of the most notoriously difficult transition positions in the league.

The guys who generally come in their rookie year and produce at receiver are guys who have done more of the well rounded stuff in college: block, run the gamut of routes and have sure hands and some speed.

The guys that struggle are usually guys that have limited routes/not great run blockers.

Sometimes they are asked to do those things (or not do those things) due to skillset. Sometimes its due to the system.

That's the difference between McLaurin and AGG.

Now, having said all of that as my preface: If you're not one of the top 5-6 guys at the position on the team and you aren't showing flashes, you aren't going to stick to a roster long enough for a team to exhibit that patience. AGG needs to show a bit to make the roster with a "loaded" (in comparison to past years) wide receiver room. 

For an example of patience, take a look at Falcons' WR Russell Gage.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, dyst said:

I’d take Thomas, Bates and Reyes over whatever we had last year…which was a question mark in Thomas, Sprinkle (smh) and I don’t even remember the 3rd guy.

The biggest concern I have with this group is if Thomas should go down, we're left with two rookies to play entire games. Not good. Reyes is putting us in a tough spot if he's not ready for primetime. 

12 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He’s probably still seeing ghosts from that game last year, poor guy. Probably still traumatized :P 

This and apparently their offensive line is so bad that the coaches have to whistle plays dead in practice to keep Burrow from getting blown up again. Don't take Burrow in fantasy football.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The biggest concern I have with this group is if Thomas should go down, we're left with two rookies to play entire games. Not good. Reyes is putting us in a tough spot if he's not ready for primetime. 

I think in this scenario, we would look to free agent veterans, and that group would most likely include Hemmingway and Seals-Jones anyway.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

This and apparently their offensive line is so bad that the coaches have to whistle plays dead in practice to keep Burrow from getting blown up again. Don't take Burrow in fantasy football.

And remember, to my shock... They passed on Sewell AND Slater for JaMarr Chase. Which, I get the LSU to LSU thing. But you cant LSU to LSU if you can't stand up.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think Thomas, Bates, and Reyes is a pretty firm bet for the final roster. A little raw in depth, but nice upside. Excited about this group.

Me too.  Reyes has to make the cut.  He's the best athlete on the entire roster and he's the one guy on our offense with a legit All Pro type upside.  He's so gifted that he could dominate match ups in the run game without even knowing how to play football.  Once he learns basic blocking technique and how to run a simple middle of the field route tree, he'll be a match up problem for opponents.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Me too.  Reyes has to make the cut.  He's the best athlete on the entire roster and he's the one guy on our offense with a legit All Pro type upside.  He's so gifted that he could dominate match ups in the run game without even knowing how to play football.  Once he learns basic blocking technique and how to run a simple middle of the field route tree, he'll be a match up problem for opponents.

Nfl Hype GIF by Washington Football Team

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And remember, to my shock... They passed on Sewell AND Slater for JaMarr Chase. Which, I get the LSU to LSU thing. But you cant LSU to LSU if you can't stand up.

They do have Jonah Williams coming back this season.  He was the top OL in his class.  Not a great tackle class that year, but he could be one who pans out since he was such a steady presence at LT and such a good technician.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

They could of taken Sewell in the 1st and then Terrance Marshall Jr in the 2nd and had their LSU to LSU thing.  Marshall's not Chase but he's not far off Justin Jefferson who had a great rookie year for the Vikings.  

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

They do have Jonah Williams coming back this season.  He was the top OL in his class.  Not a great tackle class that year, but he could be one who pans out since he was such a steady presence at LT and such a good technician.

The rest of their OL is shambles. And relying on Jonah over Sewell or Slater is borderline heresy.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Given TEs usually take significant time to develop (I typically see a 3 year benchmark), it’s going to be fascinating to see Reyes’ developmental trajectory.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1