Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We have no idea if any of those teams will be good or not. Personally I think the Saints Packers and Seahawks are all gonna drop off this year.

Yep. Saints will have a losing season.

Russell will ask for a trade after this season.  Green Bay won’t be going to the super bowl.

Honestly, if there are no injuries and Tom can play at the same level; Bucs will repeat as NFC champs. If they don’t; then the nfc west winner will.

Kansas City has to contend with Cleveland and Buffalo.

4 hours ago, dyst said:

The numbers are definitely there. He has top end speed evident by the 4.3 speed and his yardage/broken tackles and TD is all that matters. Just looking at a guy like Swift from Detroit, he seems to play faster than Gibson. Not like it matters because production is key and Gibson was producing, just an observation that he doesn’t “look” as fast as a 4.3 guy would look to me.

Truly fast players almost always have a smooth stride.  The ones who have to work at being fast look like they're running faster by beating the ground with their feet and working the rest of the body to manufacture speed.  Gibson may not look fast but the way he defeats a defender's angle tells you all you need to know.  The dude is fast!

• Like 6

I’m really happy to see the “swagger” from our defense celebrating a good play or the trash talking and Chase and Montez hoping to set the sack record from a tandem. Confidence and team camaraderie goes a long way toward becoming the best defense. Reminds me of the Ravens back with Ray Lewis. Opposing offenses were already behind before they even stepped on the field. 

• Like 2

@dyst The only time Gibson didn't look fast to me was when he was thinking too much. Go back and watch that dallas game. He looks like a future All-Pro in that game, and shows blazing speed. That run where he literally waving at the defender as he runs by him lol.

That being said it can be hard to distinguish true speed if it never gets a chance to pop! As horrific as our medium/deep passing game was last season its amazing we ever could run. 

Look at the run against the Ravens in that video (around 55 seconds) That is speed to get to the edge like that 

By the end of last season I felt like he was great at shotgun runs, but was just adequate when he had to meet the QB for the hand off. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 3

I was really hoping, against long odds, that Taylor really was that guy in Tampa. But the camp reports are troubling and I'm not sure we can risk the future of the franchise to some degree on the theory that he is a gamer and not a practice player. That's kind of a reach.

I think Dallas should be the favorites.  Parsons is just what they needed, though not nearly enough he will make a difference on that defense. Then there is the return of Dak and a healthy, and still good, OL to go with the best weapons by far in the division.  

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was really hoping, against long odds, that Taylor really was that guy in Tampa. But the camp reports are troubling and I'm not sure we can risk the future of the franchise to some degree on the theory that he is a gamer and not a practice player. That's kind of a reach.

I think Dallas should be the favorites.  Parsons is just what they needed, though not nearly enough he will make a difference on that defense. Then there is the return of Dak and a healthy, and still good, OL to go with the best weapons by far in the division.  

You’re really high on Dallas.  I watched the PFF podcast where both hosts agreed that not only did Washington have comparable weapons, but that McLaurin was the best Wide Out in the division.   

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The way I see it, the gap between the Cowboys offense and ours isn't as large as the gap between our defense and theirs, unless Dan Quinn is some kind of miracle worker. 

With that said, it'll be a close three team race for the NFC East between the two of us and the Giants.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I think Dallas is underrated and people forget that Dak was out for most of last year, but I think that when they're remembered/brought up, they're romanticized a bit.  I think we could be equivalent in tier, but I think that head-to-head, we're just better.  I say that with a lot of reservation, but I do believe that we're the team to beat in the division.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

What is nice about this year and the three preseason games is we get to see exactly that. It does feel like he has lost a little buzz with Fitz emerging as the clear number 1 but we have live action in 48 hours and two more games to reach a better conclusion. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

You’re really high on Dallas.  I watched the PFF podcast where both hosts agreed that not only did Washington have comparable weapons, but that McLaurin was the best Wide Out in the division.   

I'd like to believe it but I don't.  We may have the best WR but Cooper/Lamb (who is about to be a star) and Gallup is clearly a better group than we have IMO.  TE we get the nod, but only the starter, and of course we don't have a Zeke.  And then there is Dak, the best QB by far in the division.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'd like to believe it but I don't.  We may have the best WR but Cooper/Lamb (who is about to be a star) and Gallup is clearly a better group than we have IMO.  TE we get the nod, but only the starter, and of course we don't have a Zeke.  And then there is Dak, the best QB by far in the division.  

One of the hosts picked Dallas to win the division, but he was a Cowboy fan.  The neutral host picked us.  And then for the receivers we also have Dyami Brown who people like Chris Collinsworth said is the steal of the draft.  But, yes, he is an unknown at this point.

8 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

What is nice about this year and the three preseason games is we get to see exactly that. It does feel like he has lost a little buzz with Fitz emerging as the clear number 1 but we have live action in 48 hours and two more games to reach a better conclusion. 

Exactly. And heinicke HAS been having some good passes, it’s not as if everything about him has been negative this month. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

One of the hosts picked Dallas to win the division, but he was a Cowboy fan.  The neutral host picked us.  And then for the receivers we also have Dyami Brown who people like Chris Collinsworth said is the steal of the draft.  But, yes, he is an unknown at this point.

I'm the most excited I have been before a season in a long time. But fans also need to be a bit more realistic. This defense is good on paper but still has holes at linebacker and safety. We don't know if the rookie will be a factor and we still start Bostic and Collins.  There is a reason Ryan Fitzpatrick has played on 7 teams in 11 years, fans are overlooking why that is.  TM is a stud but the other receivers are question marks.  Curtis Samuel may be good here but we've had a lot of WR 2's and 3's from other teams that never really panned out.  Then there is the schedule. 

I am not trying to diminish the optimism here, I wish I felt it too but I have some reservations.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

I know this is the time of year where everyone is comparing rosters from teams within the division and making predictions based on them, but thats not what wins games.

Its so easy to forget but its coaching and leadership and getting the team to buy in that gets the train moving on the tracks.  Theres a momentum to winning that has far more to do with these qualities rather than who has the best trio of wide recievers, or best secondary, etc.

Dallas has a limit on what they can accomplish simply due to Mike McCarthy roaming the sideline.  Not only is he a dinasour but he lacks the intangibles that fire up a team and get them to their best.  Sure, they could still win the NFC east, but they're going nowhere under him.

Ron is on the other end of the spectrum.  He's one of the best in the league at gaining the respect of his team and getting them to play for him.  Once the season starts, that matters 10x more than whether McLaurin is a better receiver than Cooper.

We've got a great opportunity with Dallas opening with the Bucs to jump out to an early lead.  I really think the key to this season is getting out of the gates strong because the middle part of it favors Dallas by a lot.

Get out to a good start, try to survive October and November at least 3-5, then close strong against the division.  Thats a recipe for a division championship and a home playoff game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This defense is good on paper

Not that I don't agree with your cautious approach to the season and some of the points that you made but this defense is more than good on paper.

We were the number 2 defense last year in yards given up and we're going into year 2 with the same core on defense with multiple additions.

We also have two of the best defensive minds in the game leading our defense and there's plenty of reason not just to hope for a great defense but to expect it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I know this is the time of year where everyone is comparing rosters from teams within the division and making predictions based on them, but thats not what wins games.

Its so easy to forget but its coaching and leadership and getting the team to buy in that gets the train moving on the tracks.  Theres a momentum to winning that has far more to do with these qualities rather than who has the best trio of wide recievers, or best secondary, etc.

Dallas has a limit on what they can accomplish simply due to Mike McCarthy roaming the sideline.  Not only is he a dinasour but he lacks the intangibles that fire up a team and get them to their best.  Sure, they could still win the NFC east, but they're going nowhere under him.

Ron is on the other end of the spectrum.  He's one of the best in the league at gaining the respect of his team and getting them to play for him.  Once the season starts, that matters 10x more than whether McLaurin is a better receiver than Cooper.

I agree with you that a lot of fans almost exclusively focus on team talent and often forget how much coaching plays a role in a team's success.  I would go further and say the quality of your offensive and defensive coordinators, not just your head coach, are just as important, if not more, than who has the best receiving core in the division.  At this point I am confident that Ron and Jack Del Rio will deliver.  To me the big wildcard, with respect to the team's success this year, will be Scott Turner.  He has a better quarterback, more offensive weapons, some key players who should understand his scheme a little better, and his play calling and ability to make adjustments, in my opinion, improved over the course of last season.  I think he is the x-factor in determining how big of a leap forward this team makes this season.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

I agree with you that a lot of fans almost exclusively focus on team talent and often forget how much coaching plays a role in a team's success.  I would go further and say the quality of your offensive and defensive coordinators, not just your head coach, are just as important, if not more, than who has the best receiving core in the division.  At this point I am confident that Ron and Jack Del Rio will deliver.  To me the big wildcard, with respect to the team's success this year, will be Scott Turner.  He has a better quarterback, more offensive weapons, some key players who should understand his scheme a little better, and his play calling and ability to make adjustments, in my opinion, improved over the course of last season.  I think he is the x-factor in determining how big of a leap forward this team makes this season.  

Definitely.  Reading Warren Sharp's book really confirmed for me that you cant evaluate him last year because the QB play was so awful.

Its starts with the staff and filters down to the team.  Get a rhythm, get a couple wins, get momentum and it all comes together.  You need a certain talent level obviously but its clear to me this roster has enough to put together a solid season and compete in the first two rounds of the playoffs.  

• Like 3