Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

57 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Barber is total ass and shouldnt even be in the league.  Hes a solid blocker, I'll give him that. Pure trash at everything else.

Which none of our other RBs can do.  JD is too small.  Patterson is tiny.  Gibson has the size, but is way below average (see the Kyle Allen injury).  Barber is our only RB can pass protect.  He also plays teams (which the #3 RB must do).  He has to be on the roster.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Which none of our other RBs can do.  JD is too small.  Patterson is tiny.  Gibson has the size, but is way below average (see the Kyle Allen injury).  Barber is our only RB can pass protect.  He also plays teams (which the #3 RB must do).  He has to be on the roster.

Get.someone.else.with.some.upside.

Actually, just go with Patterson.  Having James Robinson vibes with him.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Personally, I’d rather they carry a fullback and keep the other 3 backs.  They could handle pass pro, short yardage (at times), occasionally run routes, and lead block.  Team could motion Gibson (or one of the other backs) out and still have a blocker/runner in the backfield.

Not happening though, so I agree that Barber is likely to be back.  I thought he did an admirable job w/ short yardage too, though I think Patterson could handle that load, Gibson is probably the best suited (as he can pick up more than the play is blocked for) and they could sprinkle in Thomas and Samuel.  Not having A. Smith behind center opens up the qb sneak as well.  

Patterson is in no way shape or form competing with Barber for a roster spot.

You are not getting a sub 200lb back to be your short yardage guy, and that is the role Barber provides, and a role he is pretty good at. 

Patterson's main competition for touches is Gibby, McK and Samuel, not Barber.

The day you consistently send Patterson into the nature and number of looks given to Barber is the day Patterson dies. 195lb guys don't do that and stay healthy in today's NFL.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

I haven’t seen/heard a lot about Jamin, but with our season ramping up at the HS level coming off of our season ending at the end of April I’ve been preoccupied a little.

Not sure if you saw this, but apparently he had a good start this training camp.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Get.someone.else.with.some.upside.

Actually, just go with Patterson.  Having James Robinson vibes with him.

He's 5'8 (which is generous) and 195.  NO WAY can he handle a blitzing linebacker.  Heck, JD tries, but he was bulldozed way too much last year.  If you are a RB in the NFL, you MUST be able to pass protect (that's why Barkley is so overrated (he's horrendous at pass protection)).  Gibson's crappy pass protection caused the Kyle Allen injury.

Barber is the only RB on the roster who he's even average (he's above average) in pass protection.  He's making the roster.

As I said above, backup RB's must be able to play special teams.  Barber can play coverage.  JD and Patterson cannot.  I expect Patterson to be on the practice squad.  You can't waste a roster spot on two RBs who cannot play teams and pass protect.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

He's 5'8 (which is generous) and 195.  NO WAY can he handle a blitzing linebacker.  Heck, JD tries, but he was bulldozed way too much last year.  If you are a RB in the NFL, you MUST be able to pass protect (that's why Barkley is so overrated (he's horrendous at pass protection)).  Gibson's crappy pass protection caused the Kyle Allen injury.

Barber is the only RB on the roster who he's even average (he's above average) in pass protection.  He's making the roster.

As I said above, backup RB's must be able to play special teams.  Barber can play coverage.  JD and Patterson cannot.  I expect Patterson to be on the practice squad.  You can't waste a roster spot on two RBs who cannot play teams and pass protect.

But it also feels weird to keep a roster spot for a guy who's really not that good of an actual RB just because he can pass pro. You can't find a guy with some upside who you can teach to do that? To me that's like giving a roster spot to a WR who pretty much sucks but happens to be really tall because you don't feel like you have enough of a red zone target.

18 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Not so fearless prediction. Jaret Patterson will not only beat out Peyton Barber for a roster spot, he'll be splitting carries 50/50 with Gibson by midseason. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Ezekiel Elliot or anything but dude's got legit quickness and can break tackles.

The thing that Peyton Barber has going for him is that the dude just does not fumble. Jaret is extremely raw, and isn't really a pass catcher.. it'll be stiff competition for him.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

You also cant put a non threat, blocking only back out there because it gives the play away.

There are plenty of backs on the street right now who offer more than Barber.  Thr corpse of Frank Gore brings more to the table.  Makes no sense to keep him around and certainly not at the expense of a young talent like Patterson.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

You also cant put a non threat, blocking only back out there because it gives the play away.

There are plenty of backs on the street right now who offer more than Barber.  Thr corpse of Frank Gore brings more to the table.  Makes no sense to keep him around and certainly not at the expense of a young talent like Patterson.  

Young talent?  He was an udfa.   If Barber isn't on the roster, who will play special teams?  The backup RB must play teams (there are not enough roster space for it not to be).  Gibson doesn't play teams.  JD doesn't play teams.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

But it also feels weird to keep a roster spot for a guy who's really not that good of an actual RB just because he can pass pro. You can't find a guy with some upside who you can teach to do that? To me that's like giving a roster spot to a WR who pretty much sucks but happens to be really tall because you don't feel like you have enough of a red zone target.

Yeah, but pass pro is crucial.  Teams wisely schemed to blitz JD last year because he's just not a good blocker (not his fault due to his size).  Sure, if they can upgrade Barber that would be fine, but any replacement must be able to pass protect.

Here is the Kyle Allen injury.  Gibson's crappy pass pro caused it.  

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Right in front of the lbs. jamin Davis athleticism on display.  unreal 

image.jpg

Maybe its just me but he seems long/wirey. I know the athleticism will be great in pass pro and chasing the sidelines, but think he can take the pounding playing middle?

13 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Unreal athleticism. Tell us more.. its very evident!?! 

I’ll talk about it more later. tough right now to watch and type especially in the blazing sun but will do so later on

@KDawgwould know the LB exercises as to what they are called. I don’t. But they have them do various exercises where they have to move their feet quickly in between various barriers among other things and you watch all the lbs do it back to back. And Jamin Davis is clearly in another league to the other lbs athletically. Really loose hips. Both quick and fast.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

We haven’t even practiced with pads on and the man crush for Jaret Patterson is mind boggling. I do hope he is our diamond in the rough but keep in mind he wasn’t even drafted. Before we anoint him as Darren Sproles 2.0 maybe we should see how he does in the preseason games. 

I do think we will carry 4 rbs especially since there could be lingering issues with Gibson’s injury from last year and JD is not a 20+ carry guy but I would prefer to keep Lamar Miller (experience and pass catching abilities) and stash Patterson on the PS unless he just breaks out in preseason. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Traps making the roster as CB 5

Barber gets you the tough 3 yards and saves Gibson the beating. The roster spot Patterson is after is JDs and he's not beating him out. Hell be PS.

Will be a nice little safety net if injuries happen (Patterson).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

We haven’t even practiced with pads on and the man crush for Jaret Patterson is mind boggling. I do hope he is our diamond in the rough but keep in mind he wasn’t even drafted. Before we anoint him as Darren Sproles 2.0 maybe we should see how he does in the preseason games. 

I do think we will carry 4 rbs especially since there could be lingering issues with Gibson’s injury from last year and JD is not a 20+ carry guy but I would prefer to keep Lamar Miller (experience and pass catching abilities) and stash Patterson on the PS unless he just breaks out in preseason. 

Yeah, teams are not clamoring for a 5'7 RB.  He'll be on the PS.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Traps making the roster as CB 5

Barber gets you the tough 3 yards and saves Gibson the beating. The roster spot Patterson is after is JDs and he's not beating him out. Hell be PS.

Yeah, Apke is a really good gunner on special teams.  He might make the roster just on that.

• Like 1