Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Kids always think their parents embarrass them until they become parents themselves and do the same damn thing...lol

My dad told me the only reason he had kids was to make them do manual labor for him and to embarrass them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

My dad told me the only reason he had kids was to make them do manual labor for him and to embarrass them. 

Gotta unlock access to those sweet sweet Dad jokes.

I hear there is something simply euphoric about educing large collective groans from everyone in the room at the same time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Gotta unlock access to those sweet sweet Dad jokes.

I hear there is something simply euphoric about educing large collective groans from everyone in the room at the same time

I thought that book came in the box when you bought your white new balance sneakers.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, moondog said:

But how else would we know she’s out there saving lives EVERY SINGLE day? I don’t understand what you guys don’t get about this. She’s a friggin people person. Basically a superhero. We should thank her for her service and strive to be more like her. 

346862803_200(2).gif.6a5854946b7dd6297d83e5aea5976094.gif

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Me too but its a lot of hard decisions 

I personally don't think it's that hard.  I wouldn't pay Scherff or Allen if either one of them wants to reset the market.  It's a negative impact on the field in the short-term, but it's a positive for roster building long-term.

It's actually encouraging that Rivera seems to be thinking more like a GM in this situation (long-term) vs. thinking like a coach (short-term).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I personally don't think it's that hard.  I wouldn't pay Scherff or Allen if either one of them wants to reset the market.  It's a negative impact on the field in the short-term, but it's a positive for roster building long-term.

It's actually encouraging that Rivera seems to be thinking more like a GM in this situation (long-term) vs. thinking like a coach (short-term).

I agree, though it was reported that we actually did offer to make Scherff the highest paid Guard in the NFL, but the offer was rejected. I assume he wanted more guaranteed money than they were offering or something like that.

As far as Allen, yeah I don't think he's a guy that can reset the market, and I doubt WFT will be willing to pay that much. He's a very good DT but he's not the upper echelon. Scherff is actually a legit top 3-5 Guard so offering him a bunch makes a bit more sense.

At some point they're probably going to have to make at least one hard choice on the DL. I don't see them letting Sweat go, and obviously CY is completely off the table. So that leaves at least one odd man out between Allen, Payne, Ioan, and Settle. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ion and Settle are easy to let go of. Ion is a little bit older than the rest and is coming off injury. I like Settle but he's never proven it as a full time starter.

I think it all depends on how much of a drop-off they believe there is between Allen, Ioan and Settle, and what the ratio of that drop-off to the amount of money they're asking for is.

If you give Allen a grade of 80 (not necessarily PFF or anything, just an arbitrary number) and he wants a massive contract on the Aaron Donald level (or higher) and you give Ioan and/or Settle a grade of 72, but they're willing to stay for more modest contracts, then IMO you're probably better off passing on Allen and keeping the others. If Allen were a 95 then you pay him, but IMO he's just not near that level.

Also remember that Ioan has been our most productive interior pass rusher, though Allen is a bit better vs the run. However, with him there are injury questions as well. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I agree, though it was reported that we actually did offer to make Scherff the highest paid Guard in the NFL, but the offer was rejected. I assume he wanted more guaranteed money than they were offering or something like that.

As far as Allen, yeah I don't think he's a guy that can reset the market, and I doubt WFT will be willing to pay that much. He's a very good DT but he's not the upper echelon. Scherff is actually a legit top 3-5 Guard so offering him a bunch makes a bit more sense.

At some point they're probably going to have to make at least one hard choice on the DL. I don't see them letting Sweat go, and obviously CY is completely off the table. So that leaves at least one odd man out between Allen, Payne, Ioan, and Settle. 

I agree with you. We can’t pay 4 guys $15-20+ per year. I like Allen’s character and he is a captain but he has kinda hit his ceiling. I believe Payne has more to go and will be the guy we decide to keep. Ion is still under contract for a couple more years and plays well when not hurt. He can fill in for Allen next year along with drafting a big tackle. 

As for Schreff please do not pay him the money he wants! No way a guard is worth what he is asking for plus he’s getting long in the tooth and I see him being injured more frequently. We got enough young guys to fill in and possibly start with Flowers at the other guard position. If anything showed us last year is that we don’t need to pay anyone on the offensive line top money to have a solid line. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ion and Settle are easy to let go of. Ion is a little bit older than the rest and is coming off injury. I like Settle but he's never proven it as a full time starter.

I'll be sad to see Matt pack up his Bullrush and his Fatboy Spin on to another team, but you are right its something we will have to deal with and he just breaks down every season. I hope he stays healthy and is a beast this year. Its got to suck going up against Allen or payne all drive then Io steps in fresh 

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

The health of Ion this season is the primary factor regarding how we see Allen going forward. I would love the team to sign both to three year deals.

Ion, if healthy, is gonna make Sweat and Chase even better...He and Payne are great together and I think Ion is just better than Allen. I'm counting on Ion to take our defense to another level just on his play alone....what a rotation we have on the d-line.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ranking the NFL's top 10 interior defensive linemen for 2021: Execs, coaches, players make their picks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31753508/ranking-nfl-top-10-interior-defensive-linemen-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks

We surveyed more than 50 league executives, coaches, scouts and players to help us stack the top 10 players at 11 different positions, from edge rusher to interior offensive linemen and all the way through tight ends. This is the second edition of these rankings, and there are several players who moved up and dropped from last year's lists.

Here's how our process worked: Voters gave their best 10 to 15 players at a position, then we compiled the results and ranked candidates based on number of top-10 votes, composite average, interviews, research and film-study help from ESPN NFL analyst Matt Bowen. We had several ties, so we broke them by isolating the two-man matchup with additional voting and follow-up calls. Each section is packed with quotes and nuggets from the voters on every guy -- even the honorable mentions.

1. Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 4

For the second straight year, Donald earned more first-place votes than any player regardless of position.

"I would put a space between him and all the defensive tackles or edge guys, honestly," an AFC scout said. "He's by himself."

Yes, someone voted Donald fourth. That particular voter prioritized youth and upside. But Donald has shown zero signs of slowing down at age 30. His 24.2% pass-rush win rate leads all defensive tackles by a wide margin, and that's with facing a double-team on 219 of his 314 rushes, the most in the league. Donald created 30 incompletions, second to edge rusher T.J. Watt.

"You're not stopping him," an NFC exec said. "[You] just hope to get the ball out fast."

3044859.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

2. Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: 5

Jones keeps his No. 2 ranking thanks to another imposing season. His 20.4% pass-rush win rate is tied for second among defensive tackles, and though his 7.5 sacks were his lowest total since 2017, the Chiefs were pleased with his overall growth.

"He has gotten better in a number of areas," said an AFC coordinator. "If he's one-on-one in a pass-rush situation, rarely does he lose that matchup. Tremendously better as a run-stopping player."

Jones won 25% of his single-teamed pass rushes, third-best among tackles. And the Chiefs will work to get him free this year as more of an edge rusher. Jones held up against double-teams, too, with a 17.5% pass-rush win rate when taking on two blockers.

Not everyone is a fan, though.

"Used to be really high on him, but there are some inconsistencies in his game," said an AFC scout. "He's productive, but he'll give up stuff, too."

2971282.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

3. DeForest Buckner, Indianapolis Colts

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: 6

Buckner set the tone of disruption in his first year with the Colts, posting 58 tackles, 9.5 sacks, three pass deflections and two forced fumbles. Pro Football Focus gave Buckner a stellar 89.7 grade on the season.

"He's a damn problem," an NFC exec said. "Once he gets those long arms on you, he can drive you back. Doesn't stop coming each play. Incredible motor."

The Colts defense improved from 16th to 8th in total defense ranking year-over-year, and the trade with the 49ers for Buckner was a catalyst. Indianapolis allowed 3.7 yards per rush when Buckner was on the field and 4.9 yards per rush when he was on the sideline.

Buckner is also highly effective as an edge defender, winning on 33.3% of his edge rushes to lead all NFL defensive players. He tied for the team lead in total pressures.

13977.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

4. Cam Heyward, Pittsburgh Steelers

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: 11

Heyward isn't in the top five for everyone, but he rarely falls past No. 7 on the ballots. One of the league's most consistent performers inside is still playing at a high level. The only real knock is he might have missed a few sacks (four on the year, down from an 8.5 average the previous two seasons).

But his 21 incompletions created is the third-best mark on this list, using his length (34.25-inch arms) and power to penetrate the line.

"Steady, consistent, productive, technician," an AFC scout said. "Once he gets those long arms in your chest, he can push you back."

Added an NFC exec: "He really came on late in the year. For that stretch he was back to doing what he does. ... When you ply Pittsburgh, he was the guy we said we had to stop. The reason why is you can't block that joker inside."

14941.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

5. Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia Eagles

Highest ranking: 3 | Lowest ranking: 12

Cox has made six Pro Bowls in nine seasons, and is one of the defining defensive tackles of the last decade, a blur of speed and power inside or on the edge.

In 2020, Cox was still productive, with 6.5 sacks and a 74.1 Pro Football Focus rating. But his nine QB hits was his lowest total since 2014.

"A little bit on the descent, but you know where he is at all times," said an NFC scout. "He's still tops on the scouting report when you prepare for Philly's defense. There was a time not too long ago when he was No. 2 [among interior D-linemen] and you wouldn't look back."

Added an NFC exec: "He's still a problem to me. He was on a bad defense."

4035369.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

6. Jeffery Simmons, Tennessee Titans

Highest ranking: 3 | Lowest ranking: 15

Simmons might be the least accomplished on this list, but he is also one of the scariest.

"No one is Aaron Donald, but he might be the closest," said an NFL general manager.

Added an NFC exec: "He's the one everyone knows is coming. Talent-wise, he's probably top-three. He's respected as such, at least how we block him."

Opponents double-teamed Simmons on 190 pass-rush snaps, higher than every interior rusher aside from Donald and Grady Jarrett. Simmons led all players in the top 10 in interior line run-stop win rate, at 39.8%.

The pass-rush production isn't there yet -- he had just three sacks in 2020, along with a 6.7% pass-rush win rate -- but it will be as he stacks healthy seasons. A torn ACL limited his rookie campaign in 2019.

"Highest upside -- he just does different stuff, and was basically playing on one leg and was pretty good early on," an AFC scout said.

2971622.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

7. Leonard Williams, New York Giants

Highest ranking: 4 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

The most polarizing player on the list, Williams was labeled an underachiever before his 11.5-sack breakout in 2020 prompted a massive contract extension with the Giants.

"He doesn't know what he can be yet," said a Pro Bowl defensive player.

Added an NFC scout: "That combination of size and athleticism is just rare."

The positional flexibility is a challenge for defenses. Williams can line up inside, or become the Giants' best pass-rusher off the edge. But evaluators aren't sure whether his breakout this past season is an anomaly.

"Talented, just doesn't put it together consistently," the NFC scout said.

One veteran NFL defensive coach said he "wasn't sure what he was looking at' when he evaluated Williams' tape during the player's tenure with the Jets.

"Last year was not shocking based on ability, and my guess is he'll have a similar year [in 2021]," the coach said. "But it's hard to tell with him."

16798.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

8. Stephon Tuitt, Pittsburgh Steelers

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

Tuitt broke out in his seventh season with 11 sacks, two forced fumbles and 25 quarterback hits.

"Incredibly gifted player," an NFC scout said. "Comes and goes, but when he's on, he's a massive problem."

That problem manifests in defensive attention. Tuitt demanded 187 double teams on pass rushes (sixth most in the league) despite playing alongside stars Heyward, T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree.

"Take away the injuries and inconsistencies from past years and he's top-five, easily," an AFC exec said. "[Heyward] has been that guy on the [Steelers] D-line for a while, but it kind of started to flip this year where Tuitt got some of the attention."

3134362.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

9. Vita Vea, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Highest ranking: 5 | Lowest ranking: 14

Watching Vea crash through an offensive line can be an experience through space and time.

"Serious physics of mass and explosion," one NFL GM said when asked to describe Vea.

The 6-foot-4, 347-pounder doesn't have the gaudy stats, but doesn't need them. His one tackle in two playoff games doesn't begin to describe his impact.

The size with the quickness (near-5.0 40-yard dash time at the 2018 combine) was a problem for the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

"Once he got back in the playoffs, they were different. You couldn't do anything against them," said an NFC executive. "Vita can rush [the] passer, has force -- more a Deebo [the "Friday" character], not a craftsman. If he wants to get in, he gets in."

2576492.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

10. Grady Jarrett, Atlanta Falcons

Highest ranking: 4 | Lowest ranking: 14

Jarrett's ability to rush the passer keeps him a fixture in the top 10. He's second to Donald among defensive tackles in several pass-rush categories, including win rate (20.4%) and win rate while single-teamed (30.1%).

But evaluators say he's not a fit for every scheme, is small against the run (6-foot, 305 pounds) and can get washed out of plays with double-teams. Not everyone agrees.

"He's a game-wrecker when we play them. He plays his ass off," an NFC executive said. "He'll sack the quarterback or hustle downfield to chase down a screen play for 15 yards. Never stops playing hard."

Jarrett's interior run-stop win rate is second-best on this list, at 39.3%.

_end_rule.png

Interior defensive linemen also receiving votes

Kenny Clark, Green Bay Packers: "He was great in the [NFC] Championship Game, maybe the most disruptive in that game for them. He's not a big name but really, really good and underrated." -- NFC executive

Jonathan Allen, Washington Football Team: "Complete player. Really good technique, plays the run really well, pass well, good locker-room guy -- just a good football player." -- AFC defensive coach

Quinnen Williams, New York Jets: "He's going to have a huge year. They had him in that two-gap scheme, but [new Jets coach] Robert [Saleh] will just have him attacking. He's good enough to jump a gap and get back in a gap. Teams have to scheme for him more than most." -- NFC executive

J.J. Watt, Arizona Cardinals: "If he stays healthy, he's still a monster. He got tripled some games. Teams still give him that attention. Tackles can handle him but against the guard he's still a problem. Not out of realm [of possibility] to have a 10-sack season." -- NFC executive

Akiem Hicks, Chicago Bears: "He's still one of those guys whom you hate to play against. He's such a force. But you wonder if his best years are ahead of him." -- AFC defensive coach

David Onyemata, New Orleans Saints: "Extraordinary talents. Getting better every year." -- NFC executive

Jarran Reed, Kansas City Chiefs: "The Chiefs got an absolute steal picking him up this offseason." -- AFC scout

Arik Armstead, San Francisco 49ers: "He's a really good player, but you're always aware of him but never scared of him." -- NFC executive

Calais Campbell, Baltimore Ravens: "He can still be productive in that defense, just not sure how much he has left." -- AFC executive

• Like 4

Ranking the NFL's top 10 edge rushers for 2021: Execs, coaches, players make their picks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31733216/ranking-nfl-top-10-edge-rushers-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks

1. Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 8

Garrett and T.J. Watt traded first-place votes throughout the process, with Garrett winning out based on his magnificent traits.

Asking general managers which pass-rusher around which they'd build a defense, most said Garrett. Evaluators weren't as sold before last season, when they felt Garrett underachieved and would get washed out by a good blocking scheme or seasoned left tackle (and he was also coming off a six-game suspension.) No longer.

"Absolutely made a massive jump last year," a veteran AFC defensive coach said. "From a physical standpoint setting the edge and as a pass-rusher he's just gifted. He put it all together. He was so difficult to deal with, snap in and snap out."

Garrett's pass-rush win rate of 26.3% last season ranked third among edge rushers despite facing 104 double teams. He won on 15 of those (14.4%), which ranked 12 in the league.

Garrett led all edge rushers in sacks created (16.5), a stat that takes into account plays in which his pressure resulted in a sack for a teammate. He caused 29 incompletions (fourth in the league). Garrett has recorded at least 18 quarterback hits in all four of his NFL seasons.

"Built out of a lab," an AFC scout said. "Zero weaknesses. Power, bend, speed."

3045282.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

2. T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 8

There's not a category that Watt doesn't dominate.

Not only did he lead the league in pass-rush win rate (29.1%), but his four pass-rush interceptions created tied for first, and his 40 caused incompletions led the NFL by a wide margin. Aaron Donald was the next closest at 30. His 15.5 sacks and 23 tackles for loss led the league.

And, oh yeah, Watt can play the run and cover tight ends if the defense needs.

"Incredibly productive player in every phase," an NFC exec said. "Probably has the best combination of motor and smarts in the league. He wins with intelligence, effort, technique, positioning."

All these factors made a compelling case for the top spot. Some evaluators consider Watt an overachiever.

"The truth is he might not have been the best athlete at his own position," an NFC defensive coach said, referring to former teammate Bud Dupree, who signed with Tennessee as a free agent. "He's not the most explosive guy. But he's so damn relentless and smart and technically perfect that he just wins. He'll probably have a Hall of Fame career for all those reasons."

3051389.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

3. Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 10

Pass-rush purists love Bosa, and that showed in the voting. Some who preferred singular athletes such as Garrett were a bit lower on Bosa, while those who prioritize technique love him.

"Best technician in the NFL -- great short-area speed, best hands," one NFL personnel evaluator said.

The game's highest-paid pass-rusher at $27.5 million per year, Bosa had another tremendous season, putting up a 24.9% pass-rush win rate (fifth in the league). He created 26 incompletions, fourth best among edge rushers, though he didn't match his peers in double-team effectiveness (five wins on 64 attempts, 7.8%).

"He's a load," an NFL veteran offensive lineman told me. "His ability to create leverage makes for a long day."

16710.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

4. Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 9

Mack was good in 2020. Last year's No. 1 pass-rusher on our list won 19% of his pass rushes and created 13 total sacks, including nine individually.

Some evaluators question, however, whether he was great.

"I didn't think he was last year," an NFL coordinator said. "Robert Quinn [on the other side] didn't do him any favors. But [Mack] simply didn't win enough for a player of his caliber."

To be sure, Mack appeared on the injury report 10 times while dealing with knee, back, ankle and shoulder injuries. But his double-team rate has declined in each of the last three seasons, yet his win rate was three percentage points lower than in 2019. Mack won 9.7% of his double teams (seven of 72).

"His 'wow' plays are unbelievable," the coordinator said. "There just weren't enough of them."

14927.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

5. Chandler Jones, Arizona Cardinals

Highest ranking: 3 | Lowest ranking: 9

Jones' injury-shortened 2020 season doesn't discount his standing among the game's best.

He fell three spots after missing 11 games with a biceps injury that required surgery. He finished the year with one sack and seven quarterback pressures.

But no pass-rusher has been more consistent when healthy than Jones, who averaged 14.5 sacks per season from 2014-19. And his game should translate to multiple high-level years in Arizona, evaluators agree.

"I still don't understand why the Patriots let him go," an AFC defensive coach said. "His bend, hands and flexibility are still elite. Most guys his size [6-foot-5, 265 pounds] aren't flexible, but he gets lower than you'd think and that tackles can't handle. And I don't think a bicep injury will change that."

13976.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

6. Von Miller, Denver Broncos

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 11

Surprised that a pass-rusher who didn't play a snap last season is ranked this high? Don't be. The Broncos said plenty about Miller's place in the game by picking up a $17.5 million option for an aging player in a salary-cap-strapped year during the pandemic.

It's because Miller is still a premier player, even with the ankle injury that derailed his 2020 season last September. He has averaged 0.79 sacks per game for his career, tied with J.J. Watt for second among any player with at least 100 games played. Only Reggie White is ahead of them.

Returning from ankle surgery will test that pace, but supporters are willing to bet on him.

"He's still the best when he's healthy," an NFC exec said. "He's No. 1 on my list. His ability to win off the edge with bend is still second to none."

Miller's 106 sacks through his first nine seasons are the fifth-most by any player since individual sacks became official in 1982.

"He understands what it takes to win, so I'm not so worried about his injury," an AFC defensive coach said. "He knows what it takes to win."

There is some positive buzz in Denver, too, about Miller's return.

4241986.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

7. Chase Young, Washington Football Team

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: 12

The can't-miss prospect out of the 2020 draft proved that he was up to that description during his rookie season. His 22.5% pass-rush win rate ranked eighth among all NFL defenders, and he showed a flare for the splash play with four forced fumbles and four pass deflections.

"He's going to be dominant for a very long time," a veteran NFL defensive coach said. "Monster. You could see that coming out of Ohio State. He not only had the massive talent but acted like a professional before he got to the league. He knows what it takes, and his get-off is already one of the best in the league."

Young also handles double teams well, winning 10 of 69 matchups (14.5%) when covered by two blockers. He's the youngest player in this top 10 by three full years and could be primed to move up as his career progresses.

4040605.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

8. Nick Bosa, San Francisco 49ers

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

The torn ACL in Week 2 last season caused Bosa's inevitable drop from No. 3 last year, but voters are still high on his elite ability in the long term.

Bosa won Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2019 with nine sacks, 25 quarterback hits and 16 tackles for loss. He didn't have enough time to put up numbers but still posted an impressive 84.9 Pro Football Focus rating in limited 2020 action.

"Instincts and technique -- excellent with his hands and counters and plays with power," an NFC scout said. "Really no 'wow' physical trait but knows how to play the game. Can play the run and pass with no real weakness there."

13971.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

9. Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

One NFL defensive coordinator put Jordan in his top five for interior defensive linemen and pass-rushers.

"He belongs on either list," the coordinator said. "Doesn't matter where he lines up. Just a great football player."

Jordan's sack totals dipped from 15.5 to 7.5 and his 11.6% pass-rush win rate in 2020 wasn't elite. But the Saints had some early-season injuries that allowed offenses to focus on Jordan, thus affecting his numbers. And he won 14.3% of his rushes from the interior.

Jordan's 214 pressures over four seasons trail only Aaron Donald (229), and his run-stop win rate of 27% is a strength.

Coaches say Jordan gets a ton of backfield pressure that doesn't show up in the numbers. An AFC defensive coach added: "Defenses know what move he's gonna throw at you and still can't stop it. He has this stab, swipe, arm-over move that is a beast. Just has really innate timing and feel with his hands."

2976560.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

10. Danielle Hunter, Minnesota Vikings

Highest ranking: 4 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

Hunter finished just outside of the top 10 going into last season, but voters recognized just how much the Vikings missed him in 2020. The numbers say Minnesota's pass production cut nearly in half without Hunter, who missed the entire season after undergoing surgery to repair a herniated disc.

Since 2019, the Vikings have 42 sacks on opponents' 527 dropbacks (8%) with Hunter on the field, yet 29 sacks on 679 dropbacks (4.3%) with Hunter off the field. Hunter racked up 56 pressures by himself in 2019, yet the Vikings had 137 total pressures as a team last season, fourth-fewest in the NFL.

Still underpaid on a five-year, $72 million deal, expect Hunter to remind Minnesota of his worth in 2021.

"He's kind of like Myles Garrett in that he's built like a Marvel character," an AFC scout said. "Special traits and he has length to win and counter moves to go with it."

_end_rule.png

Edge rushers also receiving votes

Shaquil Barrett, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: "He's a pure pass-rusher and very talented but not sure he's as complete a player as others on this list. The Bucs needed to wait and see on him with the franchise tag. But he was [great] in the playoffs and [is] a helluva player. But if we're talking top 10, that's a tough sell for me." -- AFC exec

Za'Darius Smith, Green Bay Packers: "With those heavy hands, he can play the run and the pass, he gets TFLs, lives in the backfield, can play inside and out. He's elite for me." -- AFC defensive coach

Frank Clark, Kansas City Chiefs: "He's still a problem. Natural pass-rusher but he can do a little bit of everything. He's got to bring it more consistently." -- NFC defensive coach

Brian Burns, Carolina Panthers: "He's one of those next top-tier guys. He's not at that level yet, but he's coming. He can go." -- NFL coordinator

Matt Judon, New England Patriots: "I'm partial to complete football players and this guy can do it all vs. run and pass." -- AFC defensive coach

Bud Dupree, Tennessee Titans: "As far as explosion, burst off the edge and pass-rush traits, he was one of the most talented guys in Pittsburgh, and was finally putting it together before the injury." -- AFC scout

• Like 2

that's a slap in the face to Montez Sweat.... he outplayed more than half the guys on that list including Young. Granted, I assume his added production was due to single teams BECAUSE of Young taking on the doubles and triples. But it doesn't take away the fact that he was an absolute stud. 

In 2020, he produced 45 tackles, nine sacks, 12 tackles-for-loss, 20 quarterback hits, six passes defended, two forced fumbles, one interception and one touchdown. 

Edited by SemperFi Skins
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1