Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

34 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

A311651D-CE90-4106-BC5A-F0B6DE4FF258.gif

The combination of axis highlights players that 1) play closer to the LoS, and 2) have DC's that like mixing up their roles.  It's a volume stat and not a rate stat, so it's still unclear if they're proficient at it, just that the DC's feel comfortable with a variety of assignments for that player.

He responded later on twitter with this graph.  Check out Kam Curl.  Also a volume stat for defensive stops, but he didn't play as many snaps as other safeties.  I hope he unseats Landon Collins for SS, cause he's shaping up to be a pro-bowler.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/27/2021 at 12:22 PM, SkinsFootball said:

On a positive note we probably receive a 3rd round comp pick and cap relief. We would have a young productive inexpensive offensive line for the future. A nice check in the box when managing the roster. 

I'd be surprised if we do.  We got plenty of cap room next seaso to spend.  My guess is they go for the kill in FA in 2022 and sign at least one marquee player and if so that likely wipes out the comp pick for Scherff. 

• Like 1

"When I hear other people talking about the Dallas Cowboys in our division, I'm laughing," Hall said on 106.7 The Fan's BMitch and Finlay on Monday. "Because to me, that's a team that don't want it with Washington, just physically. To me, the team I'm scared of the most is the Giants."

Hall makes a valid point. Last year, although Washington won the division, New York beat them both times the two clubs faced off.

"They're probably the team that, in my opinion, played us the toughest," Hall said. "[They] didn't have great play at the quarterback position but still found a way to win."

In fact, the Giants have defeated Washington in five straight games, dating back to December of 2018. That's a long time that Washington has gone without defeating it's NFC East foe.

For the Giants to be successful in 2021, they'll need third-year quarterback Daniel Jones to make the leap and prove he's their signal-caller of the future. This year, he'll have a lot of help, too.

Similar to Washington, Joe Judge and company have done an excellent job adding offensive talent this offseason, signing dynamic wideout Kenny Golladay in free agency and drafting versatile receiver Kadarious Toney in the first round. Plus, star running back Saquon Barkley will be back after recovering from a torn ACL, too.

"They've done nothing but put more pieces around that quarterback, kind of the same way [Washington] has done offensively," Hall said.

The 2021 season is make or break for Jones, as the former Duke standout has zero excuses for any lack of success this fall. If he steps up, the Giants could be contending for the division. If he doesn't, they're likely moving on from him this offseason.

While Hall is admittedly a bit worried about the Giants, he does ultimately believe the NFC East crown will stay in Washington.

"I think this is our division to win. When you win the division, you got a home playoff game," Hall said. "So I'm very optimistic of this season and the success that this Washington Football Team can have."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The combination of axis highlights players that 1) play closer to the LoS, and 2) have DC's that like mixing up their roles.  It's a volume stat and not a rate stat, so it's still unclear if they're proficient at it, just that the DC's feel comfortable with a variety of assignments for that player.

He responded later on twitter with this graph.  Check out Kam Curl.  Also a volume stat for defensive stops, but he didn't play as many snaps as other safeties.  I hope he unseats Landon Collins for SS, cause he's shaping up to be a pro-bowler.

Something feels weird to me about this. Do we really think that Boddy McCain is a better coverage Safety than Minkah Fitzpatrick? Because that seems to be a conclusion from that graph as far as passer rating when targeted. 

15 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

@Skinsinparadise with our current roster construction I think that cap room will be used for maybe a QB and resigning most of our own. Do you have a potential free agent in mind or position where a marquee player fits the bill?

We already have EDGE, CB, WR, and probably LT (likely draft if Cosmi stays on the right).

Could definitely be a QB.  I haven't looked at  the 2022 FA list, yet.   As far as positions go, O line, another LB, maybe FS could be in play.    It depends some if we lost a player like lets say Logan Thomas then we might want to go TE, etc.

But Rivera overall seemed fairly aggressive in FA.  Tough for me to imagine he wouldn't be again especially considering the cap room they have to play with.   Right now they have the 5th most cap room in 2022. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 12.33.06 PM.png

• Thanks 1

@Skinsinparadise Our cap situation certainly looks healthy. I was going to respond with further evidence of retaining our own; but what I found was 2023 is the big year for our roster. Not 2022. The only projected big money extensions are Logan Thomas and Jonathan Allen. I didn't want to screenshot the entire list but Tim Settle is down there too. 

image.thumb.png.caed5e0ca353ee30e40d062dea83b4cf.png

Here is 2023:

image.thumb.png.fa2a22a162914bc44c7a2932c6e6f9eb.png

How much will we need to resign this crop? Looks as if we can roll quite a bit of cap over from 2022.

Edited by SkinsFootball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'd assume we'd pick up Sweat's 5 yr option, same for Young the following year. Kick the can a little bit down the road.

Still brutal tho

I dunno...I'd be very surprised if they used a 5th year option for Sweat and/or Young. Usually a 5th year option is for 1st round guys who you're still not completely sure about. I can't see Sweat or Young being in that camp. It's also a bit of a slap in the face I think, so that could potentially sour future contract negotiations. Especially if you use it on a guy who has proven himself to be a really good player (which IMO Sweat and Young already have).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I dunno...I'd be very surprised if they used a 5th year option for Sweat and/or Young. Usually a 5th year option is for 1st round guys who you're still not completely sure about. I can't see Sweat or Young being in that camp. It's also a bit of a slap in the face I think, so that could potentially sour future contract negotiations. Especially if you use it on a guy who has proven himself to be a really good player (which IMO Sweat and Young already have).

We can use the fifth year option to give us time to sign both to long term deals. I would love to keep Allen, Payne, Sweat, and Chase for the next 5 years but i just don’t see how that is possible. All 4 guys will be getting contracts ranging around $20 million per and there’s no way you can have $80 million tied up to the defensive line. 

If Sweat can get us a first rounder then I could see him traded ala DeForest Bruckner. 

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

While it can certainly be used as a tool to evaluate a guy for one more year, its also one of the best ways to lock a star player into a below market value contract for an additional year. Star 1st round players should expect to get optioned, nature of the beast. Its not a slap in the face at all

This year alone:

Josh Allen

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Bradley Chubb

Denzel Ward

Roquan Smith

Da’Ron Payne

Calvin Ridley

Lamar Jackson

Not a whole lot of question marks in that group. Those are all great players who you know deserve big $$$

The only guys who don't get 5 yr'd are guys who have not proven to be consistent plus contributors and RBs.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Lucas is 6'9 with nearly 37" arms, bullrushing seems like the absolute worst and last plan a DE should have against him. 

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

According to this chart, you would think Curl and McCain will mix together like peanut butter and jelly. I had no idea McCain was this good when targeted, that's fantastic. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

According to this chart, you would think Curl and McCain will mix together like peanut butter and jelly. I had no idea McCain was this good when targeted, that's fantastic. 

I'm wondering what else could be a factor in McCain being that high on the list. It's not reflected in his PFF score. PFF isn't the end-all-be-all obviously, but they're pretty solid. That graph basically says McCain is better in coverage than Minkah Fitzpatrick, but their PFF coverage grades from last season were 63.1 and 80.1 respectively and I doubt you'd find many personnel guys who would take Bobby McCain over Minkah Fitzpatrick.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm wondering what else could be a factor in McCain being that high on the list. It's not reflected in his PFF score. PFF isn't the end-all-be-all obviously, but they're pretty solid. That graph basically says McCain is better in coverage than Minkah Fitzpatrick, but their PFF coverage grades from last season were 63.1 and 80.1 respectively and I doubt you'd find many personnel guys who would take Bobby McCain over Minkah Fitzpatrick.

I wish I knew, without even looking it up, I am 99% sure that the Dolphins don't generate as much pressure as the Steelers, but this actually helps McCain and makes him look even better. Does PFF have different ratings for Man coverage and Zone coverage? (I'm a cheap ass that doesn't have the paid version)

PFF in my opinion doesn't grade utility players correctly, they're pretty hit or miss there. Minkah is a SS but I believe the range of players he can cover is much wider than the range of players that McCain can cover. McCain is probably not a guy you want to put on the outside against big and fast WRs, he's more of a FS/Nickel hybrid. 

So it's a possibility that the Dolphins were actually very good at putting him in positions to flourish with favorable matchups, while Minkah is in fact the better player in coverage due to him being able to cover nearly all positions. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

So it's a possibility that the Dolphins were actually very good at putting him in positions to flourish with favorable matchups, while Minkah is in fact the better player in coverage due to him being able to cover nearly all positions. 

Yeah my two thoughts were not Minkah gets harder coverage assignments which is basically what you said.  My other thought is that chart only has numbers for when  the defensive player was targeted.   It may be that Minkah plays get coverage so he is rarely targets.  That wouldn't not show in that metric.   Perhaps Minkah is rarely targets because he is usually in a good position, but in the small sample size he is targeted in, his coverage stats are only average.  

• Like 3

On McCain I recall a Dolphins reporter in an interview said they were happy with him in coverage.  their issue with him was he was making good money and he wasn't a playmaker.  In another words, they liked his coverage abiility but were frustrated that he doesn't make that many picks.  So sort of like Carlos Rogers when he was here.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Yeah my two thoughts were not Minkah gets harder coverage assignments which is basically what you said.  My other thought is that chart only has numbers for when  the defensive player was targeted.   It may be that Minkah plays get coverage so he is rarely targets.  That wouldn't not show in that metric.   Perhaps Minkah is rarely targets because he is usually in a good position, but in the small sample size he is targeted in, his coverage stats are only average.  

Definitely a good point here

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On McCain I recall a Dolphins reporter in an interview said they were happy with him in coverage.  their issue with him was he was making good money and he wasn't a playmaker.  In another words, they liked his coverage abiility but was frustrated that he doesn't make that many picks.  So sort of like Carlos Rogers when he was here.

it would be awesome if he becomes like carlos rogers with the 49ers but for us

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

You absolutely pick up their 5th year option.  Buys you time and leverage to get an extension done.  

10 hours ago, drowland said:

You absolutely pick up their 5th year option.  Buys you time and leverage to get an extension done.  

Not necessarily. 

Preferably you extend them before you have to exercise that 5th year option because (as we know all too well) if you wait too long and start playing the tag game it shifts all the leverage back towards the player and guards start making 18 million per year with no reason to sign an extension for less than that.

Smart teams offer large extensions early that factor those cheaper years remaining into the annual average of the contract. 

If the player wants security and doesn't want to risk playing 2 more years on a below average contract he'll pull the trigger and both parties get what they want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2