Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

*slowly climbs off Apke hill*

Yeah KB, I certainly think we have great position coaches under Rivera and Apke does have talent, but it's way easier to take the Terry bet that he is elite, than to count on Apke making the team with all the ballers we have in the secondary now. I hope they both happen tho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

Part of Apke’s problem is that even if he looks good at CB  in camp, the coaches can say, “Well, he also looked good in camp last year at safety.”

They tried to address FS with Davis last year and again with McCain this year, so I don't think anyone was fooled into thinking he was a starter at FS, but when you have a guy that's long and running a 4.35 and good on STs, you try and find him a spot. Danny Johnson I'd think is his only competition and considering how aggressively we're trying to find a return guy, I don't think he's any kind of lock. 

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

They tried to address FS with Davis last year and again with McCain this year, so I don't think anyone was fooled into thinking he was a starter at FS, but when you have a guy that's long and running a 4.35 and good on STs, you try and find him a spot. Danny Johnson I'd think is his only competition and considering how aggressively we're trying to find a return guy, I don't think he's any kind of lock. 

I was listening to Keim's recent podcast and he said he knows they are concerned with the depth at corner.  He didn't elaborate on it though so not sure what they are specifically thinking about on that front. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, I really do wonder whether Danny Johnson and Jimmy Moreland can secure spots on this year's team. Both would have to have really strong camps. 

1 - Jackson

2 - Fuller

3 - St. Juste

4 - Roberts

5 - ?

6 - ?

Comments by the coach seemed to indicate this was a permanent switch for Apke. You want that 5th corner to be a great special teams guy and he is that.

Seems to be a good pre-season competition between three guys. I do think there is only one spot up for grabs (5 corners), unless they drop Landon Collins. 

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Yeah, I really do wonder whether Danny Johnson and Jimmy Moreland can secure spots on this year's team. Both would have to have really strong camps. 

1 - Jackson

2 - Fuller

3 - St. Juste

4 - Roberts

5 - ?

6 - ?

Comments by the coach seemed to indicate this was a permanent switch for Apke. You want that 5th corner to be a great special teams guy and he is that.

Seems to be a good pre-season competition between three guys. I do think there is only one spot up for grabs (5 corners), unless they drop Landon Collins. 

Is Robert’s definitely over Moreland? I wouldn’t think so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't make much of minicamp but still it feels like Tua is already in a make or break season. 

I think the entire FO/Coaching Staff has got to be on the hot seat a bit, right?  I mean, they made the decision to:

1. Draft Tua

2. Bench a QB who was playing well to get him reps, which probably cost them the playoffs

3. Let said quarterback go and basically gave the team to Tua

4. Have built up a pretty good team around him, one that can compete.

So if he falls flat, and there is no option B, that's a REALLY tough look for my guys.  

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think the entire FO/Coaching Staff has got to be on the hot seat a bit, right?  I mean, they made the decision to:

1. Draft Tua

2. Bench a QB who was playing well to get him reps, which probably cost them the playoffs

3. Let said quarterback go and basically gave the team to Tua

4. Have built up a pretty good team around him, one that can compete.

So if he falls flat, and there is no option B, that's a REALLY tough look for my guys.  

I follow Miami more than any team aside from this team.  Their head coach, Brian Flores is liked from what i can tell by most of their fan base. 

Their hero is the GM, Chris Grier, who has shown more foresight IMO in 2 off seasons than Bruce/Cerrato did for their combined 20 years or so.   Granted that was a low bar.  :ols:. The amount of draft capital he accrued in a short amount of time is staggering.  So the fan base at least seems very high on the powers that be.    They are collecting young talent and they from what I recall also have a ton of cap room moving forward.  

The Dolphins run in the last 10 years or so was similar to ours.  They finally had enough of flirting with mediocrity and went for a hardcore rebuild.   I recall some on different threads made fun of them for it.  But I think so far so good on that front for Miami.  Heck they went 10-6 so they did something right.   They've done a nice job rebuilding their defense.   Their offense still needs some work but they focused on it some this off season. 

I liked Tua in Alabama.  I am surprised he struggled that much in his rookie season.    But what bugged me the most watching him was how gun shy and conservative he was.  It looked like he was playing afraid.  Considering the tweet below, i gather they want Tua to let it loose some.  I recall watching a segment where either Tua or Fitz was miked up during a game and Fitz told Tua something along the lines that WRs aren't going to be wide open that often and he needs to take chances and throw in tight windows.

That point perhaps was one of the downsides of playing at Alabama.  Their WRs got open with a lot of cushion.  Same concern some have about Mac Jones.  Will see in his case.  I think Tua will be helped by his old teammate, Waddle.  Waddle's ability to seperate IMO will translate to the pros.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I like Davis but I think he's a bit too raw to win something like DROY. My pick is Patrick Surtain.

Since Charles Woodson only two CB’s have won DROY, even with a weak EDGE class the odds seem low. To be fair those two CB’s have won in recent history, so the more modern trend is in Surtain’s favor. But the sheer amount of stats a LB could rack up behind this DL gives Davis a decent shot imo. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I follow Miami more than any team aside from this team.  Their head coach, Brian Flores is liked from what i can tell by most of their fan base.

I appreciate all of that and certainly don't follow the Dolphins as much as you do.

However, I'm not sure how long the leash can be if Tua completely flames out.  Maybe the HC and GM get to try with somebody else, but typically if you draft a top 5 guy and it blows up, it takes a few years for that to really happen, the results become terrible, the angst high, and changes are made.  Not always, but often.

For whatever reason, I always questioned Tua's arm strength.  I could be COMPLETELY off on that, it could just be a function of him being left handed and I'm not used to the way the ball leaves his hand.  But that was always something I noticed when I watched him at 'Bama.  Yeah, he had great success, but having a window the size of Montana to throw into because all of your players are better than all of your opponents players makes evaluation tough.  (As you mentioned above.)

So we'll see.  Maybe he balls out.  It will be really interesting to watch.  

3 hours ago, Silvernon said:

They gave him a $275k signing bonus. Sure, Sean Davis proves otherwise but I do think they'll keep him. 

I don’t think Roberts’ contract necessarily works in his favor vs Moreland. We would save basically the same amount in cap space from cutting either Roberts or Moreland (850k). Moreland still has two years left on his rookie deal at low cap hits of around $1 mil per. In a vacuum, I’d say that’s more valuable than Roberts one year deal at 1.6M. 

That said, I think we keep both as our 4th and 5th corners. I’d rather have both of those guys than Apke or Danny Johnson. 

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I appreciate all of that and certainly don't follow the Dolphins as much as you do.

However, I'm not sure how long the leash can be if Tua completely flames out.  Maybe the HC and GM get to try with somebody else, but typically if you draft a top 5 guy and it blows up, it takes a few years for that to really happen, the results become terrible, the angst high, and changes are made.  Not always, but often.

For whatever reason, I always questioned Tua's arm strength.  I could be COMPLETELY off on that, it could just be a function of him being left handed and I'm not used to the way the ball leaves his hand.  But that was always something I noticed when I watched him at 'Bama.  Yeah, he had great success, but having a window the size of Montana to throw into because all of your players are better than all of your opponents players makes evaluation tough.  (As you mentioned above.)

So we'll see.  Maybe he balls out.  It will be really interesting to watch.  

I'd be as surprised to see a purge in Miami as I would be if there is a purge coming up here.  It's ironic how both franchises are in some ways a mirror of each other.  Both young teams that seem to be on the rise.  Young rosters.  Emerging defenses.  A lot of cap room to play with this year and in 2022.  Both teams rebuilt their defense and now must do the same with the offense.  

Both the local media and the Miami fans (from my experience) seem to really dig both Flores and Grier.  Grier in particular both locally and nationally seems to be treated like a football god by how he's milked other teams for draft picks let alone is job is in jeopardy. 

It might feel like this team is better than Miami but we went 7-9, they went 10-6.  And yet we are feeling pretty good about this young and upcoming team.  Imagine how their fans feel coming off of a 10-6 season especially after a draft where they had two first round picks and two second round picks?  I actually like our roster better.  But I am just saying 10-6 for a young team like Miami who are loaded with young players with cheap contracts -- looks good on paper. 

Not a lot of angst that I can tell with Miami fans.  And like our fans, they are used to their shots at QB failing so like us they get its not easy to land that dude.    It would be one thing if everything else is crumbiling in Miami.  But, like here they are building a nice foundation but might be still missing the QB.    If Tua flames out, I doubt it would cost either Flores' or Grier's job.  It's not like they took some wild flier or traded up and gave up capital to go get him.  And they are rebuilding so Fitz wasn't in the cards over the long haul.  But more on point, they have done so much more right than wrong that I think it would be shocking if they get fired if Tua didn't work out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Since Charles Woodson only two CB’s have won DROY, even with a weak EDGE class the odds seem low. To be fair those two CB’s have won in recent history, so the more modern trend is in Surtain’s favor. But the sheer amount of stats a LB could rack up behind this DL gives Davis a decent shot imo. 

However, I don't think one team has ever had back-to-back DROY before?

• Like 2