Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

32 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I never realized how much taller ion is than payne.

They're both listed at 6'3 but obviously one or both of them are incorrect. 

Ionnadis measured 6-3.5 at the combine and Payne measured 6-2.5. Does look like more than an inch difference in that picture though. Could be a perspective thing. 

• Like 1

Catching up with some podcasts including from Keim and Finlay, 106.7.  Mostly from Keim.

A.  Fitzpatrick's job to lose

B.  Heinicke is looking good-- the concern on him is durability but they like that he added 15 pounds

B.  Chase and Sweat looked good

C. Tough to judge O line and D line in practice because the O line has limits for what they are allowed to do in practice unlike the real games 

D.  Dyami Brown has impressed.  Ditto St. Juste

E.  Humphries looks really smooth in practice.  Humphries pops up I noticed a lot.   Sounds like he's having a really good camp so far

F.  Reyes looks like a project so far.  Bates has looked decent.  

G.  Jamin adjusting well, though Keim highlighted a play where he telegraphed a blitz and Fitz burned him.

H. Some hype on McCain for picking off both Fitz and Heinicke in a practice.

Listened to interviews from both Humphries and Logan Thomas.  I watch-listen to a lot of NFL interviews like most others here do.  Both dudes come off A level articulate and smart.  They both stand out to me big time on that front.   Listening to both guys gave me confidence in their upcoming seasons.  Thomas especially came off well I thought.  He went into watching other TEs and working to improve this off season on the quickness of his releases, etc.  It's clear he takes blocking seriously, too.   Comes off to me also as a high character guy.

On another note, while it doesn't mean anything its interesting to me that we are getting much more love from the national media than normal.  Except Vegas as usual is pessmistic about this team.  It's funny to me to listen to Laconfora and Mike Jones about this teams prospects.  They have been critical of this team typically over the years though JLC is usually much more cynical.  It's funny to hear JLC relatively upbeat about this team while Mike Jones is one of the outlier critics of this roster.  Jones isn't per se down on it but he's not taken by it either.  He's down on Fitz and thinks the secondary of this team is "meh" so he's not buying the hype about the QB or that this is a top 5 defense. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-analyst-dan-orlovsky-believes-130720075.html

ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky believes Washington is one of NFC’s top teams

Orlovsky especially likes WFT’s potential on offense in 2021.

“I think the Washington Football Team,” Orlovsky said when naming his final four. “I think, first of all, this offense is going to be predicated on a ton of speed. This might be the fastest offense in the NFL. We’re talking Terry McLaurin on the outside; then they got Curtis Samuel in free agency. McLaurin is becoming one of the best receivers in the NFL, not just one of the best young ones. Fitzy (Ryan Fitzpatrick) is gonna have a ton of weapons to throw to; Dyami Brown out of North Carolina is a huge addition. And Antonio Gibson at tailback. Those are four guys that have absolute gas on offense.”

Orlovsky wasn’t finished dishing out praise on Washington.

Again, I’ll say it; this could be the fastest offense in the NFL. Now Fitzy has those roller-coaster rides, right? Because he plays with no fear of failure. He’s just going to play that YOLO, chuck-and-duck style of football. But he plays his best when he’s got a defense that can bail him out a little bit. And that’s what he’s got in Washington; a dominant defense. I think Washington has a chance to be an outstanding football team, certainly winning that division and making noise in the playoffs.

I believe the most important point Orlovsky made was about Fitzpatrick playing without fear of failure. It’s true. And, he’s never had a defense like this before. So, if he makes a mistake now, he has a defense that can limit the damage when he turns the ball over.

You can see Orlovsly’s discussion on Washington at around the 30-minute mark.

• Like 4

Just watched the full mic'd up with coach Harris (I'll link it later), I think Juice has a really good shot at starting on the outside this season. Kendall Fuller saying "Juice is gonna get his", and then Chase running up to coach Harris saying he liked how he played, these guys recognize he's the real deal. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Just watched the full mic'd up with coach Harris (I'll link it later), I think Juice has a really good shot at starting on the outside this season. Kendall Fuller saying "Juice is gonna get his", and then Chase running up to coach Harris saying he liked how he played, these guys recognize he's the real deal. 

I forgot where I saw it but it struck me reading about Dyami making a big play against St. Juste and Terry crowed after that saying out loud to Dyami that he told him the way to deal with St. Juste is to get his arm on him or push off or something like that.

I guess Terry is recommending to get physical back with St. Juste.  Should be an interesting camp.  😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021

2020 Defensive Pass Efficiency Rank: 3
2020 Defensive Rush Efficiency Rank: 9
2020 Base Coverage: Cover 3
2020 Third-Down Mentality: Cover 1 with a hole player and quarters

Washington ran a ton of zone defenses last year, unsure of themselves holding up in man coverage. It worked. The Football Team was the third-most efficient pass defense last year. When you can play zone and have an elite defensive line, you can get things done.

It will be interesting to see if signing William Jackson III in free agency will lead to the team playing more man coverage, where Jackson has excelled. He recorded the seventh-best grade in Cover 1 last year (80.8) at his position. With that said, Washington was great at whatever it played, with its Cover 3, quarters and Cover 1 looks all ranking in the top third of the league in efficiency.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021

2020 Pass Efficiency Rank: 31
2020 Rush Efficiency Rank: 8

Washington was a sneaky spread team in 2020, getting into formations with an inline tight end or a fullback at the league’s lowest rate. The Football Team managed to run the ball decently from these formations, whether it was inside or outside zone, but they couldn’t throw it. The run game could get much better with all the jets and fake jet motion they’ll give to newly signed wideout Curtis Samuel, which should unlock the defense.

In the passing game, Washington's league-low 6.2-yard average depth of target is going to skyrocket with new quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Hopefully that means more explosive pass plays, a metric the Football Team also ranked dead last in last year. 

• Like 5