Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

43 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m willing to give Davis the offseason to see if he improves. Im not ready to claim he’s a bust after just one season. Not everyone is a star right away. 

To do so, you need to see a season like the one Trevon Moehrig has been having. Has he been a superstar out of the gate? No but he has proven he belong as at least a solid starter in the league and you are excited of how he can build off that for season 2. 

For Davis, he needs to work his way up to solid starter in year 2 because he has been one of the worst linebackers in the league this season

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It's hard to say that about any rookie. However, the scary thing about Davis always had been the possibility that he was a work out warrior. He didn't produce enough in college for all his attributes. I am always wary about thinking we can draft a guy who look like Tarzan and plays like Jane into Batman.

Hopefully, with good teaching and an offseason he makes a big jump. He's got the tools. He just needs the instincts and the understanding.

The thing that scares me is that he has a reputation of being a hard worker. If all the hours of film study hasn't come through yet, he just may not have the natural football instincts to be a great starter at this level.

This was my dude going into the draft and I'll own it - he's been incredibly meh and nothing I've seen is any indicator that he'll ever be much more than meh.  I understand that stars aren't made overnight and that he came here as a project and not a finished product.  But we've seen nothing out of this dude to suggest that there's a star inside him, or even a solid NFL player in there.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This was my dude going into the draft and I'll own it - he's been incredibly meh and nothing I've seen is any indicator that he'll ever be much more than meh.  I understand that stars aren't made overnight and that he came here as a project and not a finished product.  But we've seen nothing out of this dude to suggest that there's a star inside him, or even a solid NFL player in there.

There is almost no chance he becomes a star. The stars are at least pretty good early on. He isn't pretty good. He has shown some flashes here and there sure, but like you said he's largely been meh. He was bad early and he has progressed to be mediocre. I think by end of next season he might end up being pretty decent but that's best case scenario. He looks more like a 3rd rounder than a top 20 pick.

• Like 1

I have been disappointed with him as expected some kind of impact in some games especially towards end of season, meaning he was learning the position better and becoming a key part of the defence 

I will give him next season before writing him off but he better work his ass off to improve !!

• Like 1

Davis was a reach to begin with in the 1st but at the very least we finally have some speed at the second level. Let's give him some more time. I have only watched a couple of games this season but it seems Holcomb has been playing better - at least I think so.

Edited by Chump Bailey

10 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Davis was a reach to begin with in the 1st but at the very least we finally have some speed at the second level. Let's give him some more time. I have only watched a couple of games this season but it seems Holcomb has been playing better - at least I think so.

This is where I am. Sure, it would have been great to have Davis step in and perform the way Parsons has, but I wasn't expecting that. And I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone on this board expected him to be anything more than a physically talented, yet raw prospect in his first year. I'm still holding out hope things click for this kid. 

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, duffy said:

This is where I am. Sure, it would have been great to have Davis step in and perform the way Parsons has, but I wasn't expecting that. And I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone on this board expected him to be anything more than a physically talented, yet raw prospect in his first year. I'm still holding out hope things click for this kid. 

I didn't expect him to be Parsons. But I expected him to flash more. Has he blown up a single play in the backfield yet? He has actually looked okay in coverage and has made some nice open field tackles, but he's just really slow reading and diagnosing the offense.

He should not have been put into MLB. He's really a WSLB that was forced into MLB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BC-Redskins said:

I have been disappointed with him as expected some kind of impact in some games especially towards end of season, meaning he was learning the position better and becoming a key part of the defence 

I will give him next season before writing him off but he better work his ass off to improve !!

Again,  that's the scary part. He has a reputation of having a great work ethic. What scares me is the lack of improvement through the season despite all the work he has put in.

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I didn't expect him to be Parsons. But I expected him to flash more. Has he blown up a single play in the backfield yet? He has actually looked okay in coverage and has made some nice open field tackles, but he's just really slow reading and diagnosing the offense.

He should not have been put into MLB. He's really a WSLB that was forced into MLB.

I agree with this. Not sure if he's going to end up at MLB long-term, but I'd certainly move him off the spot until he gets more comfortable in the pros. 

10 minutes ago, duffy said:

I agree with this. Not sure if he's going to end up at MLB long-term, but I'd certainly move him off the spot until he gets more comfortable in the pros. 

The issue is who takes over at middle linebacker? I think you have to keep Collins for next year given he is the only playmaker the team has in the back 7 and he is locked in on the buffalo nickel spot (which takes over for the weakside linebacker). Holcomb will be back as a starter next year. @KDawg and others complain about him and I'm not saying he's great but look at starting linebacker play around the league. It has become hard to find starting quality linebackers.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Is it the consensus that we should have taken Darrisaw and JOK instead of Davis and Cosmi?

I think that’s reasonable, but personally I wanted Moerhrig and JOK in the second, and would have kept our Right tackle, and signed KJ Wright as a great veteran presence on the field and in the locker room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The knock on drafting Davis so high was that it was a choice based on athleticism & potential versus what he had shown going into the draft.  Sometimes I think scouts & coaches get too enamored with potential the idea of "look at all the things I could use this guy for IIIIIIIIIIFFFFF he turns into a legitimate NFL player"  I am sure they wanted to draft Parsons, but since Dallas grabbed him, they almost seemed to determined to draft a LB with that first pick regardless of who was left. 

37 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Is it the consensus that we should have taken Darrisaw and JOK instead of Davis and Cosmi?

Cosmi needs to get stronger but do feel he will pan out and become a solid OT for us. Darrisaw is already playing at an All-Pro level so yeah that would be nice for sure :) For me, I think we should have traded up for Fields or Jaylen Waddle. 

PFF has graded out the 1st round picks for this draft. From a scale of 1-10, Mike Renner graded Davis a 3 and Austin Gayle a 4.5. For some perspective, Zach Wilson got a 1 (ouch, my top rated QB for this class) and Darrisaw and Parson's both getting a 10.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Cosmi has been good so I won't knock that pick, but imagine having taken both Darrisaw and Cosmi. We'd have our bookend tackles solidified for the next decade, would be Samuels/Jansen from the 2000s all over again.

The guy I wanted after Parsons was taken was Moehrig. He's been quite good with the Raiders.

I don't know how good JOK would be here. We already have Collins playing that hybrid SS/LB role.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

This was the consensus of the board as a whole right after the draft. I want to say that Darrisaw was the number one most wanted pick by the board in round 1 with Moehrig and JOK just behind. 

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Cosmi has been good so I won't knock that pick, but imagine having taken both Darrisaw and Cosmi. We'd have our bookend tackles solidified for the next decade, would be Samuels/Jansen from the 2000s all over again.

The guy I wanted after Parsons was taken was Moehrig. He's been quite good with the Raiders.

I don't know how good JOK would be here. We already have Collins playing that hybrid SS/LB role.

I think they took Cosmi with the idea that they'd put him at LT. After Leno got by the Bears following the draft, they pivoted and essentially swapped him in for Moses and decided to put Cosmi on the right side

• Like 1

Yeah, I was leaning towards JOK because of production, but I understood the arguments about size. What I wanted though was a linebacker who could cover tight ends and running backs and could help with sweeps and all those runs that have killed us for years. I was willing to be sold on Davis (still am) as a bigger linebacker with great potential in coverage and the speed we were lacking at linebacker. Obviously, at that point offensive tackle was a huge need because we had Lucas and Charles which would have been scary... though Lucas has proven to be pretty solid.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dude is a bust. We are down so many linebackers and he goes to the team doctors in pregame with the sniffles to get deactivated. Unreal.

Could be that he's self reporting Covid symptoms? I'm pretty sure players are required to although its more of an honor system thing than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Could be that he's self reporting Covid symptoms? I'm pretty sure players are required to although its more of an honor system thing than anything else.

You do that when there is time to get tested. You don’t do that with playoffs on the line and your team needs you but you are too scared of the big lights on SNF and you fold like a house of cards by claiming you have symptoms during pregame warmups, I call complete BS. Dude seems scared to me. 

• Thumb down 4